PDA

View Full Version : Need help trimming in Slidebrook Aug. 15 & 16

Treeskier
08-06-2009, 09:52 AM
It's that time of year again. The annual trimming in Slidebrook of the tree "bands" We will be meeting at South parking lot at 9:30 each day Aug. 15 & 16. Bring water, loppers, hand saw, sturdy boots, rain gear, lunch. I believe like in the past all who work will receive a voucher for each day of trimming. Will update weather constants here as we get closer. Look to see anyone to help then.

Treeskier

Hawk
08-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Wow Tree. We both thought the same thing at the same time. That is wierd.

Hardbooter
08-06-2009, 10:28 AM
For all you bush pilots that might be listening... can one of you cross post to your mailing list on this subject? Anyone else who has a mailing list that might be interested, let those folks know too. Lots of folks complain each year that they missed it and they never found out when it was. Thanks.

HowieT2
08-06-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm really bummed I can't make it this year. Lot of fun especially the ride up the mtn in the gator. Encourage anyone who has the opportunity to do so.

Yard Sale
08-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Howie knows of what he speaks. The ride in on that mud buggie was a blast. However, it was by no means the coolest part of the endeavor. Hanging out in there criss crossing around was very cool as well.

So, it's a good oppotunity to spend some quality chill time in place that it seems you never get to spend as much time in as you would like to because your haulin' to get out of there to get back in there. If you can break off a little chunk of time, it is definately worth it.

Unfortunately, Mr. and Mrs Yard Sale and the 4 little wipe outs will all be in Maine at the inlaws.

kcyanks1
08-07-2009, 07:56 PM
I really want to make on of the SB or MRG work days one time. Unfortunately this one won't happen for me, since I have a big deadline at work the following week.

Hawk
08-14-2009, 08:55 AM
It's that time of year again. The annual trimming in Slidebrook of the tree "bands" We will be meeting at South parking lot at 9:30 each day Aug. 15 & 16. Bring water, loppers, hand saw, sturdy boots, rain gear, lunch. I believe like in the past all who work will receive a voucher for each day of trimming. Will update weather constants here as we get closer. Look to see anyone to help then.

Treeskier

Pre-work conference at the Hyde Away tonight. We are meeting Agent Orange. 7ish.

Brew Ski
08-14-2009, 09:03 AM
What time tomorrow will we meet?

I assume we meet near the base of the mushroom like last year?

I might be a bit later that 7pm for pre-work planning conference. Traffic has been lousy heading north the last few weeks.

Buy AO a beer, he's had a rough summer.

C U tonight.

Hawk
08-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Look at the Top of the Post Dude.....9:30. :wink: I am sure we will still be there when you get in and yes over near the Mushroom.

Hawk
08-17-2009, 07:03 AM
I have to thank Mountain Ops for all the help getting us up to the work site. Mississippi and the crew went out of their way to make it happen. I would have to say that the weekend was a huge success. The only down side was that only people that showed up were the usual people. It was a tad bit disappointing that with all the interest, no one new showed up. :?

Thanks to Craig and Treeskier for all the coordination and effort. It will definitely be noticed when the snow flies. :wink:

vonski
08-17-2009, 07:20 AM
glad to hear it went well, but us flatlanders need more notice than 2 weeks. :wink:

Hawk
08-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Sorry Von. Actually Hardbooter broke the news in early June.

http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?t=1985

Maybe next year. Should be around the same time. :wink:

vonski
08-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Sorry Von. Actually Hardbooter broke the news in early June.

http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?t=1985

Maybe next year. Should be around the same time. :wink:

ok, oops, i a dum ass then. I will pay attention more next summer. :D Thank you to all who did put in the work. I promise not to cut any of you on a POW day. :wink:

Hardbooter
08-17-2009, 03:07 PM
I promise not to cut any of you on a POW day
I will hold you to that.

Also, any of us will accept repayment in the castlerock pub after a powder day. We're not just working for vouchers, you know. We will remind you at the bus stop.

On another note: the trails are looking good. There wasn't as much deadfall as we had feared and we were able to remove what we found. Treeskier and Brew ski worked especially hard at the end of the day yesterday removing some very large downed trees at the bottom of Roller Coaster after the rest of us were spent.

The traverse at the top had some blockage that we removed and the exit right after the bridge had some deadfall which is gone. We also removed a bunch of horizontal trees at knee hight in various places. We improved the sight lines on a few corners. If you have to go out there next year with thin cover, be aware it's been a good year for hobblebush and we simply didn't have enough manpower to tackle it all. It's not a bad idea to wait for good cover anyhow since thin cover up on the trails usually means a walk out the bottom. It was hot and the flies were brutal this year but the scenery is gorgeous and beer was cold so I recommend it to anyone who can make the trip next year.

TreeBandit
08-17-2009, 03:19 PM
I am sorry that I wa not able to help support this effort. I was planning to come up and help as well as get a better understanding of the names and unoffical trails in SB. But, I had to finsh work at my flat land house to allow be a clear winter.

I would ask why is Aug the best time to do this work? I am up north most of the year except Aug. as it has been the hotest month and I do love my AC.

Treeskier
08-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Aug is the latest we can get into Slidebrook to work. The forest service stops access Aug. 31st so the bears can mate and be hunted. Go figure.

Brew Ski
08-18-2009, 07:17 AM
I wanted to thank everyone on the work crew for all their hard work this past weekend. The group really put in a lot of effort. It was hot, buggy and there was some significantly big trees that had fallen and needed to be removed.

A list of some surprises from my experience:
Critters of nature:
Lots of "signs" of moose.
Saw probably a dozen partridge.
I saw a black bear cross the access road just above Terra Rosa on Sunday afternoon going home. Looked to be a couple of years ols. Not a yearling, but not full grown. He jumped the guardrail with ease.
Saw a two white tails around the snowmaking pond in the mornings while walking the dog.

Trails:
Trails are much steeper than they seem in winter.
Trails are much longer than they seem in winter.
Getting a ride to the top in the Ranger ATV was really fun. While I'm sure it is against every Forest Service and enviromental policy, taking ATV rides around the mountain would be quite a thrill ride.
The mountain is beautiful in summer. Many shades of green. Lots of really interesting flowers.
I didn't see ANY poison ivy! And since it usually causes me to break out, I'm certain I didn't run into any.
Hobblebush is nasty stuff, especially when it gets hip deep.

Heavy Equipment:
Never, ever mess with Treeskier. The guy carried a 25 lb chainsaw for several miles two days in a row. He cut down several fallen trees, chppoed them to moveable lengths and never complained even once. He even carried his own fuel tank. The guy is a man's man.
I'm sore from ears to toes, but it is completely worth it for how great SB will ski this year.

I think we are ready for it to start snowing now!

Happy summer folks.

skiladi
08-18-2009, 09:43 AM
Heavy Equipment:
Never, ever mess with Treeskier. The guy carried a 25 lb chainsaw for several miles two days in a row. He cut down several fallen trees, chppoed them to moveable lengths and never complained even once. He even carried his own fuel tank. The guy is a man's man.

As a woman working with the guys before I'm pretty sure I know what you mean. I just stayed the heck outta his way...LOL.
Sorry I couldn't help out this time. ; {

HowieT2
08-18-2009, 04:26 PM
I wanted to thank everyone on the work crew for all their hard work this past weekend. The group really put in a lot of effort. It was hot, buggy and there was some significantly big trees that had fallen and needed to be removed.

A list of some surprises from my experience:
Critters of nature:
Lots of "signs" of moose.
Saw probably a dozen partridge.
I saw a black bear cross the access road just above Terra Rosa on Sunday afternoon going home. Looked to be a couple of years ols. Not a yearling, but not full grown. He jumped the guardrail with ease.
Saw a two white tails around the snowmaking pond in the mornings while walking the dog.

Trails:
Trails are much steeper than they seem in winter.
Trails are much longer than they seem in winter.
Getting a ride to the top in the Ranger ATV was really fun. While I'm sure it is against every Forest Service and enviromental policy, taking ATV rides around the mountain would be quite a thrill ride.
The mountain is beautiful in summer. Many shades of green. Lots of really interesting flowers.
I didn't see ANY poison ivy! And since it usually causes me to break out, I'm certain I didn't run into any.
Hobblebush is nasty stuff, especially when it gets hip deep.

Heavy Equipment:
I'm sore from ears to toes, but it is completely worth it for how great SB will ski this year.

I think we are ready for it to start snowing now!

Happy summer folks.

There ain't no moose at the mtn. urban legend.

Lostone
08-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Wait a minute! It can't be an urban legend. There ain't no urban, here! :lol:

As for moose...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/97/238849356_4670dde469_o.jpg

Nice the way I photoshopped the Valley House lift, huh? :wink:

Strat
08-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Saw a HUGE mouse in Granville Gulf Tuesday night around 1:30. Luckily it was standing stock still on the side of the road instead of in it. Still induced a nice stomach-turn though.

Sorry Howie, you'll get one eventually :wink:

Benski
08-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Wait a minute! It can't be an urban legend. There ain't no urban, here! :lol:

As for moose...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/97/238849356_4670dde469_o.jpg

Nice the way I photoshopped the Valley House lift, huh? :wink:

Yes you're quite handy manipulating photos or perhaps you and Susan got someone to don a moose outfit.

oops. signed in under my son's screen name again. sorry.

Benski
08-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Saw a HUGE mouse in Granville Gulf Tuesday night around 1:30. Luckily it was standing stock still on the side of the road instead of in it. Still induced a nice stomach-turn though.

I've seen plenty of mice.

HowieT2
08-20-2009, 03:20 PM

I've seen plenty of mice.

Coincidentally, I was climbing Masada (Israel) this very morning with my family, when about 3/4 of the way up my daughter says "Dad, look a moose!". Obviously, it was no moose (since moose don't live in the desert), but a large mountain goat.