PDA

View Full Version : Sugarbush in Warren Miller "Ski A La Carte" (1978)

ski_it
07-06-2009, 10:56 PM
My wife and decided we'd watch a ski movie on Saturday night, and we started off watching TGR Under the Influence. It was pretty cool but with so much focus on skiing in Alaska or other heli-skiing destinations, it becomes a bit hard to relate to, and despite nothing but respect for the athletes, we got bored. Looking for something else, we surfed through the On Demand offerings from Verizon FiOS and found The Ski Channel presents: Ski A La Carte with description The master Warren Miller at his best with this 70's classic movie that highlights Mammoth mountain, Squaw Valley, colorado's Breckinridge, Keystone, Copper, A-Basin and more. The opening credits identify the movie to have been released in 1978. Sweet! 1:08:34 into the movie, there is a short feature on Sugarbush, starting with film of four skiers skiing down what I believe to be Murphy's Glades with views to the southeast and possibly snowball etc. Next, some cool film of the gondola and Organgrinder. Next more film of skiers coming down an ungroomed and powdery Murphy's Glades (I think). To skier's left as they come down the trail, there is no lift where Birdland and Super Bravo are today, so it's a pretty odd sight (if I'm looking at what I think I am). Next, Sigi Grottendorfer is featured (Ski School Director 1969-1987) and is filmed skiing with a woman down what I think might be Middle Earth based on the views. Warren Miller narrates and talks about Sigi also being the director of the ski school in Portillo Chile and going down there every summer since 1970 and skiing 18 seasons in the last 12 years. The whole segment is only one minute 12 seconds but includes some great footage of skiers, trails, and a couple shots of Sugarbush Village and the base area. Has anyone else seen this?

summitchallenger
07-07-2009, 05:29 AM
Nice! No, I have seen the 1990's footage with Doug and Kelly Lewis and the Egan Brothers skiing...including shots of a new Green Mountain Express I at Mount Ellen.