PDA

View Full Version : Micro-burst in Egan's Woods

atkinson
06-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Next time you ride up Bravo, be prepared for an awesome display of the power of the wind. The bottom of Egan's Woods, just before it crosses Bravo was flattened sometime this past week. It's hard to count the number of trees down, but to say all of them is not that much of an exaggeration. No pics yet, but definitely next week.

John

vonski
06-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Sounds like a tree trimming party is needed. or are you just giving away where the new thinning of the woods is going to be! It is amazing what the wind can do. Hit CT pretty hard in sporadic spots on Friday. Lots of trees down and damaged houses. Can't wait for the pictures. It didn't take out the roller coaster did it!

atkinson
06-29-2009, 03:29 PM
This is no trimming party, we're going to need some serious chainsaw operators to wade through this mess safely. No worries about the Berm-coaster, that's at the bottom of Lower Birdland, well out of the way.

Say hi to Everett!

John

vonski
06-29-2009, 03:56 PM
I will say hello. hoping to make it to try and kill myself on the bike again!!!!!

Tin Woodsman
07-01-2009, 01:32 AM
Oy. That spot already got a lot of wind and never held snow. Have to imagine it's going to be tough to retain any cover there for decades if it's as bad as it's being described.

Brew Ski
07-01-2009, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the update, John.

I wonder if the Mountain will take this opportunity for a weekend of "regeneration" by planting tree groups and roping off areas for re-growth? This could be expanded to other areas of the resort as well (Heaven's Gate area comes to mind). I've seen this topic come up often in this forum.

I'm even reminded by my fancy Sugarbush 2009 calender (July page "Being Better: get involved) that the Mountain has a "Green Team" and it's voice is heard "loud and clear."
Considering the Mountain is working with the Forest Service to clear new wooded Trails, it would seem to bring balence to the project that they would either transplant trees to areas that get wind scoured or bring in new trees for planting. I'm sure many glade skiing enthusiasts would volunteer to help out for a weekend.

I've got a gnarly chainsaw, need some help clearing that wind damage?

Brew Ski

HowieT2
07-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the update, John.

I wonder if the Mountain will take this opportunity for a weekend of "regeneration" by planting tree groups and roping off areas for re-growth? This could be expanded to other areas of the resort as well (Heaven's Gate area comes to mind). I've seen this topic come up often in this forum.

I'm even reminded by my fancy Sugarbush 2009 calender (July page "Being Better: get involved) that the Mountain has a "Green Team" and it's voice is heard "loud and clear."
Considering the Mountain is working with the Forest Service to clear new wooded Trails, it would seem to bring balence to the project that they would either transplant trees to areas that get wind scoured or bring in new trees for planting. I'm sure many glade skiing enthusiasts would volunteer to help out for a weekend.

I've got a gnarly chainsaw, need some help clearing that wind damage?

Brew Ski

great idea.

I was up the mtn today and there is a fairly significant area which was flattened. It appeared to be about 25 feet up/in from the trail so there are trees between it and the trail. amateurs need not apply to clearing that mess.

Otherwise, the bike trails were great albeit on the moist side. Thanks, John and crew.

very disappointed the grill was closed, but as my wife said, I'll have enough meat this weekend. Happy 4th!

Lostone
07-03-2009, 06:56 PM
I forgot all about this. I rode up and down, this afternoon and never looked. :roll:

Maybe tomorrow afternoon? :?

Hawk
07-13-2009, 07:52 AM
I checked it out. :shock: It is realy strange how compact the area is and how much damage was done. Trees were snpped off 20 to 30 feet up and the carnage is great. The area is about 30 yards from the bottom of Egan's and to the left as you look up. The whole area is about 50 x50 yards. Some work will have to be done to clear the edge of Egans but you could get past it.

Yard Sale
07-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Why are there no photos? :roll:

Lostone
07-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Why are there no photos? :roll:

From my point, uh... I keep forgetting. :oops:

Plus, I'm working on setting up a "new" computer, after a major crash. It is taking all my inside time. :cry:

Yard Sale
07-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Lost 1 or stone:

Your history as a standout eye candy provider gives you a pass this time I suppose. Luckily, I'll be up this WE to check it out first hand.

Good luck with your "new" computer.