PDA

View Full Version : North or South? Ellen or Lincoln?

summitchallenger
06-21-2009, 12:14 PM
OK, it's getting too slow in here...and too warm. Going to start a perennial discussion topic: which do you prefer? North or South? Ellen or Lincoln? Which is best and why?

From my perspective:

North is great because:

* Better snow
* Less People
* Newer lifts (aside from NRX Problems, but Bravo breaks down more than we want to admit)
* A big, tall mountain feel
* Steep trails such as FIS and Exterminator
* Cool lodge and vibe

South is great because:

* More terrain variety
* New base area
* Castlerock
* Heaven's Gate
* Good glades
* Slopeside lodging and dining

My vote is for Ellen or North, despite it's weakenesses:

* Colder
* Darker
* More wind problems
* Icy conditions are frequent
* NRX breaking down often
* Shorter season

But Lincoln Peak is not my favorite because:

* Too crowded
* Terrain gets skied off very fast
* Not as much snow
* Lodges get crowded
* Parking lots fill up fast

Your vote and why?

skiladi
06-21-2009, 01:33 PM
The last time this question was asked someone responded "in between". I voted for wherever my skis are because I like both for different reasons and at different times. Your negatives about LP don't usually effect me cause I ski midweek mostly and I have my own place so I can avoid the lodge scene but I have to stop in to the pub to say hi to the "guys"! ; }

Lostone
06-22-2009, 07:24 PM
This will likely come as a great surprise, but I voted for South.

I started skiing Sugarbush at North, and that was all we ever skied for the longest time. Then one day, after a Sunday/ Sunday night snowstorm, and after taking 1.5 hours to get our cars off our ski house road, everyone else in the house headed for Mad River. I opted for South. I skied Stein's and The Mall, back and forth, all day, pretty much by myself.

Somehow... I had a good time. :D

I started skiing South a lot more, after that, and fell in love with the diversity of trails. North Lynx was still Poma Beach, and it was always somewhere you could go to pretty much be alone. Heaven's Gate was just about the same, as was the Bravo area, tho the lift was what now is the North Lynx triple.

Castlerock was slow, back then... Oh wait...! :oops: . . . . . . . :lol:

Still, I quite like North. What a great second mountain. 8)

shadyjay
06-23-2009, 02:03 PM
I voted for both. There are aspects of each mountain I like, some of which have been repeated here:

1. ME is usually colder and stand a better chance for windholds
2. LP has more terrain variety, but is more crowded
3. Lifts: ME's lift structure is set up better. If you're doing the upper half, you can either go to Summit or NRX without having to go to the base. At LP, if Bravo's down, then there's going to be some issues.
4. Two of my favorite runs: Jester (LP) / Rim Run (ME)
5. I used to have a season pass at ME and loved it - less crowded, great deal for the buck
6. Terrain at LP is varied, from Gate House for warmups to the 'Rock for somethin more.
7. Since I started working there, fewer folks knows me over at ME so I'm more inconspicuous. At LP, just about everyone knows me, so its kinda cool to "get away" for a little while.
8. I like the Glen House at ME - great spot for a beer or a hot/cold sandwich, and the deck.
9. I like the Castlerock Pub at LP for apres ski - never been to the bar at ME.
10. Views from top of both mtns are great, but ME views are awesome on a nice day.

All this talk and I'm missing winter more n' more ... with this Nor'easter just off the coast of N.E., imagine if all this rain was snow!

madhavok
06-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Best way to ski a weekend hands down is :

Saturday - Ellen
Sunday - Lincoln

summitchallenger
06-24-2009, 08:01 AM
397 views, only 18 votes, and 4 responses. Lots of lurkers, but no voters.

teleo
06-24-2009, 08:01 AM
I voted for wherever my skis are. I figure that includes both and some other places, like in between :lol:

Since I'm based at LP, I'm there more often as a practical matter. If it's crowded, or the snow is questionable, I'll head to ME for less skied terrain. Which is why I really do appreciate the slidebrook chair as it provides a much more convenient way to get the ME & back. How often I get to ME really is a function of how often slidebrook is running.

skiladi
06-24-2009, 08:52 AM
I voted for wherever my skis are. I figure that includes both and some other places, like in between :lol:

Since I'm based at LP, I'm there more often as a practical matter. If it's crowded, or the snow is questionable, I'll head to ME for less skied terrain. Which is why I really do appreciate the slidebrook chair as it provides a much more convenient way to get the ME & back. How often I get to ME really is a function of how often slidebrook is running.

You know what you and I didn't do this past season? ( as I recall , anyways ). I did go with others. Ski slidebrook and then go north. Much quicker ride but you do have to walk down the road apiece.

Hawk
06-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Like I said the last time this question came up. North is a nice place to visit but I would want to live there.

I vote Lincoln for all the obvious reasons. :wink:

HowieT2
06-24-2009, 01:00 PM
without mentioning the obvious, here are my observations. It's not that I like the tree skiing at one more than the other, but I find that I can do laps through the woods easier at LP. I also know my way around those woods better. But I like the chili better at mellon.

Yard Sale
06-24-2009, 01:16 PM
South, it's where my skis are, and the rest of my stuff too.

teleo
06-24-2009, 01:22 PM
You know what you and I didn't do this past season? ... Ski slidebrook and then go north.
No we didn't. I guess we'll have to make up for that next season.

North is a nice place to visit but I would want to live there. :wink:

Good one :!: +1