PDA

View Full Version : Ellen Pass Spring restrictions

klop
04-30-2009, 11:25 AM
I personally feel that it is a rip off to have to pay to ski with a Mount Ellen card once Lincoln Peak is closed. I know I could have ponied up the additional $150 for an Ellen Plus. Marketing led me to believe that the Ellen pass would be valid once LP was closed. My fault for not reading the fine print, I guess. Still, I'm not pleased. Just my $0.02.

Lostone
04-30-2009, 12:23 PM
1) That print isn't fine. It is the description of the pass, and I think it is pretty clear. If someone in marketing told you different, they did their job poorly.

B) The Mt Ellen + is a real good deal! For that extra $150, you get 5 tickets to use at South, and the last part of the season, which has been over a month, since they've had the pass.

skibum1321
04-30-2009, 01:36 PM
All I can say about that is that you get what you pay for. You opted for the $500 pass. As Lostone said, it's not fine print - it is made quite clear in the pass description.

Quit crying about it and pay the $29 for a 2 day ticket this weekend (or buy your pass for next season and you can use that).

summitchallenger
04-30-2009, 01:52 PM
1) That print isn't fine. It is the description of the pass, and I think it is pretty clear. If someone in marketing told you different, they did their job poorly.

B) The Mt Ellen + is a real good deal! For that extra $150, you get 5 tickets to use at South, and the last part of the season, which has been over a month, since they've had the pass.

+ 1. I looked at the passes last season and it was very clear what the distinction between Mt. Ellen and Mt. Ellen Plus was.

What exactly happened? Were you told otherwise?

win
04-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Last year there may have been some confusion because this was not clear on the confirmation. In all of our collateral this year and on the confirmation it was very clear that ME only passes were valid at LP before ME opened but not after ME closed the final Sunday of March. That is why we have so many ME plus passes who get 5 days any day during the season to ski at LP and skiing until we close. Most think that extra amount is well worth it. I doubt if any on my team said anything different, and this is the only voice I have heard this year.

klop
04-30-2009, 03:53 PM
A. Not crying, just expressing an opinion. I accept the fact that I misunderstood the restrictions.

B. No person told me the restrictions were other than they were. I bought the pass online. I wish I could go back and read the site as it was last summer when I bought the pass. I remember it as valid when Lincoln Peak is closed. My memory may be faulty. The site this spring is clear. FWIW, I have spoken with other locals (admittedly few opportunities - they told me before I went to the mountain in April) who have also been surprised by this restriction.

C. Thanks Win for coming on personally. I've been a Sugarbush skier for 25 years and the past few years have been among the best. I'll be back, just not sure in what capacity.

vonski
04-30-2009, 03:58 PM
I was not confused at all about the Ellen only pass. I was only pissed at myself when my friends decided during Feb vacation to use their plus days during that week. So, I ended up spending more than the extra 150 on day passes for my kid so he could ski with his friends. And this year I bought the plus pass already and have gotten one April day out of the deal. Still the best deal going!!! $730 for a plus pass with tax and that is two passes as my son is still under 12. And all that for the best skiing in the EAST!!!

summitchallenger
05-01-2009, 06:48 AM
FWIW I will be buying my Ellen Plus pass this afternoon.....

Hawk
05-01-2009, 08:05 AM
Alright I have to say it. I just can't understand the frugality of buying the the Ellen only pass when for $500 more you can ski whenever and whatever you want. After all no one that skis is poor. If money is the concern then CUT SOMETHING ELSE..... :wink:

summitchallenger
05-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Alright I have to say it. I just can't understand the frugality of buying the the Ellen only pass when for $500 more you can ski whenever and whatever you want. After all no one that skis is poor. If money is the concern then CUT SOMETHING ELSE..... :wink:

Well, if you want to pay my student loans, be my guest! $500 may not be a lot of money for you, but for a lot of folks in this economy, it is and when you throw in a spouse and kids, you're talking $1,000 difference. You've got to remember that there are a fair number of green plates in the lot at both areas on the weekend, and we're not millionaries up here.

Maybe I'm misreading what you are saying...especially with the :wink: ....but folks who ski come from different backgrounds and economic situations. The resort has an interest to capture as many different folks from as many different economic markets as possible. Do they have to? No. But you want to have a broad customer base because when those who have $$$ don't like the weather forecast at SB, they jet off to Colorado or stay at home while Joe Smith who works a middle class job in Bristol, VT and has that Mount Ellen Only pass will come up and ski and might bring a friend or buy a beer or two.

As to why I'm going with that pass, it suits my needs. By choice I spend most of my season at Ellen. Why pay more money for benefits I will not use?

freeheel_skier
05-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Yeh....Five Hundo is a lot when you are purchasing multiple passes. In my families case.....Six ME plus passes. It adds up. I can use that $$$ to buy more gear :shock:

Hawk
05-01-2009, 12:05 PM

Well, if you want to pay my student loans, be my guest! $500 may not be a lot of money for you, but for a lot of folks in this economy, it is and when you throw in a spouse and kids, you're talking $1,000 difference. You've got to remember that there are a fair number of green plates in the lot at both areas on the weekend, and we're not millionaries up here.

Maybe I'm misreading what you are saying...especially with the :wink: ....but folks who ski come from different backgrounds and economic situations. The resort has an interest to capture as many different folks from as many different economic markets as possible. Do they have to? No. But you want to have a broad customer base because when those who have $$$ don't like the weather forecast at SB, they jet off to Colorado or stay at home while Joe Smith who works a middle class job in Bristol, VT and has that Mount Ellen Only pass will come up and ski and might bring a friend or buy a beer or two.

As to why I'm going with that pass, it suits my needs. By choice I spend most of my season at Ellen. Why pay more money for benefits I will not use?

Two things: I do understand the financial considerations that you may have. I was just poking a little fun at the situation is all. I once had a very tight budget but one thing I never skimped on was the Skiing. Things I cut to have a full pass: Eating out, Drinking, Cable, Buying gifts of any kind for anybody, Skipping friends weddings!!!, etc. Whatever it took. That's just me and it very selfish but Skiing is king in my life.

Secondly and I know this will get a rise, I would be very board if I had only Ellen to ski. It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't live there.... :wink:

All in all you make sacrifices and you live with them. So I guess if you take the cheaper pass then you get what you pay for.

summitchallenger
05-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Figured you were being sarcastic....

All in all you make sacrifices and you live with them. So I guess if you take the cheaper pass then you get what you pay for.

I'm not complaining.

freeheel_skier
05-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Secondly and I know this will get a rise, I would be very board if I had only Ellen to ski. It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't live there

I can maybe see your point.....but I have been skiing Mostly ME for 23yrs now. Not bored yet....you just have to work the hill right (I am not saying you aren't, people may say I don't have a clue)

(I.E.)Exterm to Lower Bravo....Bravo to Exterm...Bravo to Encore, Bravo or Exterm to Cliffs, Tumbler or Hammerhead....You know what I am getting at? :wink: Then you have the summit combos throw in numerous tree lines and stashes.....you have endless options.

I maybe can see how the groomers can get a little stale. I also see if L.P. is your home base how going to ME can be a little boring. I did ski LP more this year due to kids in lessons/programs.

Maybe SummitChallenger can chime in here.......I enjoy leaving LP and driving back to the base of ME and it is a totally different world! Not that LP is bad....IT's great! What is wonderful about the mountain is you have 2 totally different skiing expierences(Mountains/base areas not connected by trails) to choose from but with the same caliber of customer service. I don't know of any other place where you have that.

Yard Sale
05-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Everyone here has got the itch and we're lucky to have a myriad of ways to scratch it.

klop
05-01-2009, 03:26 PM
I bought the Ellen pass because: 1. I had surgery in 2008 and I wasn't sure how much skiing I could do. It turned out to be more than I thought. 2. I work 1 out of 3 weekends so it cuts into my ski time. Much easier to make the pass at Ellen pay. 3. I can spend the extra money on a trip out west. 4. All the fun to the left and right of Exterminator. 5. Beer is colder and the bar is less crowded.

mattlucas
05-02-2009, 01:34 AM
ellen rules. the glen house and the lodge are awesome. great woods. stunning views. I am dragging more of my friends over there next year for sure.

and when we get that new lift up inverness peak.....

Hawk
05-02-2009, 07:39 AM
It's all a matter of perspective. Everyone has chimed in with their perspective and all are good reasons to base themselves at ME. I understand the draw and it's all good.

Here's my perspective....
I bought at LP in 06 after renting for a couple of years. This was after 17 years at Sunday River. We instantly found a large group of extremely friendly people from all over to ski and party with. I have to say that the relationships that have developed with the people and staff at LP are special. I ski with many groups including some of the Bush Pilots and some on the other Ski School people. Skiing with these people and being based at LP, it becomes hard to start the day at ME unless it is a scheduled event. We do make it over there and it is always fun. I have to admit that I love the bumps and the woods over there and have had some very good adventures. But at the end of the day I ski the woods all the way down to my place, take off my skis, pour a Goose and tonic and sit on my deck. This is the view and the main reason why I bought at LP. Perspective is everything to everybody... :wink:

http://www.postimage.org/gxgHANi.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxgHANi)

http://www.postimage.org/PqOpkLi.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqOpkLi)

vonski
05-02-2009, 09:02 AM
It's all a matter of perspective. Everyone has chimed in with their perspective and all are good reasons to base themselves at ME. I understand the draw and it's all good.

Here's my perspective....
I bought at LP in 06 after renting for a couple of years. This was after 17 years at Sunday River. We instantly found a large group of extremely friendly people from all over to ski and party with. I have to say that the relationships that have developed with the people and staff at LP are special. I ski with many groups including some of the Bush Pilots and some on the other Ski School people. Skiing with these people and being based at LP, it becomes hard to start the day at ME unless it is a scheduled event. We do make it over there and it is always fun. I have to admit that I love the bumps and the woods over there and have had some very good adventures. But at the end of the day I ski the woods all the way down to my place, take off my skis, pour a Goose and tonic and sit on my deck. This is the view and the main reason why I bought at LP. Perspective is everything to everybody... :wink:

http://www.postimage.org/gxgHANi.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxgHANi)

And of course your perspective is skewed with that great view and location. Obviously, us flatlanders who commute and don't have the luxury of owning such a great place with views and who are on a tight budget love Mt. Ellen. The year I rented in the same area that you reside I had an all mountain pass, but for those without that luxury love our Ellen passes. The backside to Jeruseulem is also enticing at Ellen!! :wink: :D

http://www.postimage.org/PqOpkLi.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqOpkLi)