PDA

View Full Version : Sugarbush base area expansion on hold to 2010....bummer

muddy_hollow
04-22-2009, 03:13 PM
I understand that the permits were not sorted out in time and that the expansion of the sugarbush base area was put on hold for another year.

That's unfortunate, as it sounded like it would have been really nice. I don't have all my facts, but was it the link to the old sugarbush village that got in the way?

HowieT2
04-22-2009, 08:10 PM
I understand that the permits were not sorted out in time and that the expansion of the sugarbush base area was put on hold for another year.

That's unfortunate, as it sounded like it would have been really nice. I don't have all my facts, but was it the link to the old sugarbush village that got in the way?

not surprised.

win
04-22-2009, 08:55 PM
It will be done even if a year later. The plan is great and when it gets done, I think all will really enjoy it. I have a letter on the back page of the VR tomorrow, so someone can post it here.

vonski
04-23-2009, 07:19 AM
still sucks to have to delay a project that would provide income and jobs to the valley during these times. hope to see it really happen next year. I guess Diggity and Atkinson won't be getting to take down the stairs for mountain biking!!! Them darn stairs!!!

Yard Sale
04-23-2009, 09:12 AM
It will be done even if a year later. The plan is great and when it gets done, I think all will really enjoy it. I have a letter on the back page of the VR tomorrow, so someone can post it here.

Looking forward to the improvements, but let's face it. The place is already a pretty sweet placxe to be. Last weekend walked from South Village to Miguel's for a late dinner. It was a a very nice walk as is and is only goping to get better. The year will cruise by quick. (Especially the winter portion)

Keep pluggin Win.

Lostone
04-23-2009, 02:28 PM
As requested:

Dear Friends of Sugarbush,
As our winter season comes to an end (of course, it is not over quite yet), I want to thank everyone for your support. Last season saw the highest number of skier visits since we purchased
the resort in 2001. While this year will fall short of that number, it will be the second highest level that we have seen. This was primarily due to our record season pass sales, since our
day visits were hurt by poor weather on some of our most important holiday periods.
Our snowfall of 284 inches is once again above the 50-year average and our season, which began on November 22, will once again provide our guests with one of the longest ski seasons
in the country. While we are blessed with a lot of natural snow most winters, we also strive to make a good quantity of snow to set up the start of the season and to enable it to last as
long as it does. This year we made 18% more snow than last season, and I was extremely pleased with the quality that our team manufactured. Our season did encounter some adverse
weather, but our snowmaking and grooming teams did a marvelous job of repairing the mountain after each storm. They take their jobs seriously and are proud of the product they
deliver for our guests.
This spring we are again offering next year’s passes at our “early spring” rates and, because of the economic climate, we are holding most passes at last spring’s prices. One exception is
that we have actually reduced our Mt. Ellen (only) pass so that a family of four with children under twelve can ski and ride for less than $1,000 — or only $249.50 per family member.
As we look forward to the rest of the calendar year, we are mindful of the challenging economic climate that we all face and realize that as a business we have to manage ourselves
intelligently to remain strong for the future. We will continue to invest in making Sugarbush better each year and to provide a secure environment for our employees. We have a masterplan
for the growth of both our base area and the mountain, and we will continue with that in a prudent manner. Nevertheless, like all businesses we are tightening our belt and
looking at ways to run our businesses more efficiently without reducing the quality of the services we offer or our guest experience.
This summer we will be working with the US Forest Service to create additional wooded skiing areas at both mountains, and we will be finishing the landscaping around our new Gate
House addition. We also have a full schedule of summer maintenance, to prepare for next winter. However, we have decided to put off construction of our new skier services buildings
until the spring of 2010. With some of the permit issues we have encountered, we were not able to get a project approved that was financially sustainable in time, and we did not feel it
prudent to add additional leverage to the resort in this uncertain environment until all permits were in hand. We have a great plan for the skier services buildings and plan to continue
with the permitting process for the residential buildings. We remain hopeful that a year from now we will begin the new construction. The sale of the remaining Clay Brook units and
the additional slopeside condominiums are what will fund the new skier services buildings.
But our summer will still remain busy and active. We have a strong wedding season ahead which will provide good business for all in the Valley, and we have more planned activities
at Sugarbush this summer than ever before. We will continue our cabaret series in the Gate House in partnership with the Mad River Chorale. June is Women’s Discovery Month at
Sugarbush. We are hosting a free Vermont Kid’s Day on June 20th and we have a full set of summer camps for children. The Xterra Northeast Cup will be held here on July 11th. We are
holding two Women’s Wrench and Ride programs in July and September. The Gravity East Downhill returns the weekend of August 1st and we will once again be hosting the Taste of
the Valley to kick off the Festival of the Arts. For a complete event listing check out www.sugarbush.com/events
Of course, we will have a full set of activities on July 4th after the Warren Parade which will culminate with evening fireworks. Our golf course opens on May 8th and you will continue
to see course improvements throughout the summer. Our Bravo lift will again run Friday through Sunday for lift-accessed mountain biking beginning on June 26th and our zipline and
mountain disc golf course will open then as well. For that opening weekend, we will host a Cirque-du-Soleil-style family acrobatic performance on Saturday afternoon, along with a
special barbeque. I hope you can join us.
Once again, thank you for a good winter and we look forward to seeing you on the mountain in the warmer months.
Win Smith
President,

Last Tracks
04-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Mt. Ellen is quite the enigma.. home to the most expensive skiing experience on the east coast (cat skiing), yet, at the same time, the best deal on the east coast.

Are you working with the USFS for permission to cut more woods or are things more advanced than that and what areas are you targeting? Is it more about "legitimizing" unnamed areas that have already been gladed or opening up whole new areas?

Thanks for a great winter!

PS: no matter how many times i hear it, my skin still crawls everytime i hear snow called "product". it's so much more than that.

Tin Woodsman
04-24-2009, 01:47 AM
Are you working with the USFS for permission to cut more woods or are things more advanced than that and what areas are you targeting? Is it more about "legitimizing" unnamed areas that have already been gladed or opening up whole new areas?

Not sure how it could be anything but the former. I mean, if they wanted to open up whole new areas, where could they possibly cut that wouldn't be a massive slog to get to/from? Everything that's convenient and has pitch has a line or six already. Get ready for some of the larger lines to come on map.

Hawk
04-24-2009, 07:23 AM

Not sure how it could be anything but the former. I mean, if they wanted to open up whole new areas, where could they possibly cut that wouldn't be a massive slog to get to/from? Everything that's convenient and has pitch has a line or six already. Get ready for some of the larger lines to come on map.

Tinny, where have you been? I had a feeling you would resurface with the posting of this news. Not surprising in the least. The only thing that sparked some interest with me was the comment about working with the USFS to create additional wooded skiing areas. I for one look at this as a bad thing. All it will do is bring more traffic into an already over skied woods. The woods do not need any more thinning to dumb it down for intermediate skiers. :roll: It is perfectly fine the way it is IMHO.

gone.skiing
04-24-2009, 08:47 AM
One of the planned improvements: Long Trail tunnel....

http://www.snowbird.com/imagelib/construction/peruvian_T_M.jpg

HowieT2
04-24-2009, 03:48 PM

Tinny, where have you been? I had a feeling you would resurface with the posting of this news. Not surprising in the least. The only thing that sparked some interest with me was the comment about working with the USFS to create additional wooded skiing areas. I for one look at this as a bad thing. All it will do is bring more traffic into an already over skied woods. The woods do not need any more thinning to dumb it down for intermediate skiers. :roll: It is perfectly fine the way it is IMHO.

Agreed. Although there also could be a restoration/reforestation plan to come out of this.

I'm really not that bummed about this. Sure, I would have liked to see the improvements but given what the state of the economy is and how other ski operations are situated, it's not that bad. Besides, gives me a little more time to make some money so hopefully I can get a place of my own before the place gets really popular.

Enjoy the turns this weekend.

PS My wife wouldn't let me bring my new skis into bed :shock:

win
04-24-2009, 05:16 PM
It is about legitimatizing some more wooded areas and also working to protect sensitive habit areas. We lease a precious asset from the USFS and we both want to make sure that we have a lot of fun skiing and riding without doing damage to the forest. Everyone is a aware that skiing in the trees in happening all over the mountain including in some areas where it threatens some habitat. We want to identify and maintain more areas some that we can get the balance correct.

noski
04-27-2009, 03:00 PM

We refer to it as the Lincoln Tunnel....

Tin Woodsman
04-27-2009, 04:41 PM
It is about legitimatizing some more wooded areas and also working to protect sensitive habit areas. We lease a precious asset from the USFS and we both want to make sure that we have a lot of fun skiing and riding without doing damage to the forest. Everyone is a aware that skiing in the trees in happening all over the mountain including in some areas where it threatens some habitat. We want to identify and maintain more areas some that we can get the balance correct.
Well if an over-arching forestry mgmt plan emerges from this to protect some of the more sensitive/damaged areas, that's a pretty good trade-off. Now if that can only be expanded to include the trails like Glade, Sleeper and Lower Moonshine that will be treeless in 5-10 years at this pace.

Strat
04-27-2009, 05:28 PM

We refer to it as the Lincoln Tunnel....

Very nice 8)

John Walden
04-28-2009, 06:32 AM
Nice letter Win. Yes we did have a great season as always. Wife is looking to get a new hip this summer/fall to be ready for opening day in November. I loved the Lincoln Tunnel. Brings back memories of Snowbird this winter.

Yard Sale
04-29-2009, 08:23 AM
Well if an over-arching forestry mgmt plan emerges from this to protect some of the more sensitive/damaged areas, that's a pretty good trade-off. Now if that can only be expanded to include the trails like Glade, Sleeper and Lower Moonshine that will be treeless in 5-10 years at this pace.

What is it that causes the thinning/spreading of trails? What could you do to preserve the glade like qualities of trails like Sleeper and Lower Moonshine?

Tin Woodsman
04-29-2009, 03:44 PM

What is it that causes the thinning/spreading of trails? What could you do to preserve the glade like qualities of trails like Sleeper and Lower Moonshine?

Two things immediately come to mind. Mind you, none of this is my original thought - all credit goes to Jay Appleton who is edumacated in this field:

1) They have to create regen zones around the existing tree islands. What you typically see on the runs you mentioned is 2-3 relatively mature trees surrounded by grass. There are no saplings or younger trees emerging to take their place. Those mature trees are dying off quickly for a variety of reasons, including the harsh climate, skier traffic with sharp edges, and the fact that the more trees you lose it becomes a vicious cycle, with more wind getting down to ground level. Of course, snowmaking (more on that below) is a notable culprit as well. Those islands need to be protected//fenced off to allow for the growth of new trees that will not only protect the larger, older ones, but will also serve to replace them when the older trees die in the next few years.

2) There needs to be a fundamental commitment on the part of Mountain Ops to avoid blowing snow into the remaining trees that do exist on Glades and Lower Snowball, among others. I know the vagaries of New England wind and weather prevent a full proof system, but surely they can do better job than they have been historically. I can't tell you how disheartening it is to ski those runs after a snowmaking barrage, only to find several of the trees caked in 6-12" of heavy man-made. There is simply too much water in man-made snow for the trees to support it's weight, so you are creating a mini-ice storm effect, with branches and whole trunks snapping like twigs and trees dying off. This phenomenon is not limited to just those runs with tree islands. We can all see the damage wrought by snowmaking on the skiers left of the ever-widening Ripcord and, this year, many locations on skiers' left of Waterfall/Hot Shot. I don't ski North enough to assess the magnitude of the issue there, but skiers' left of FIS strikes me as an area that seems to be growing each year as well.

The failure to create a holistic forestry mgmt plan even on those lands SV owns outright is remarkable, IMO, for an ownership group that seems to "get it" as much as this one does. Surely there are onerous obstacles when the land owner is the USFS, but it is also surely in everyone's interest to see such a plan implemented on their lands as well - it's fundamental to the multi-use doctrine to promote both recreation and a healthy forest.

That's my $0.01 anyway.