PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on AT Gear SideCountry

TreeBandit
04-10-2009, 11:46 AM
I just picked up a pair of Icelantic Shaman's for some fun next year in the Side/Back Country. I wanted to hear the groups thoughts on what bindings are your favorite for off trail 90%.

I have access to Marker Dukes or Fritschi Freeride Plus's any thought on these or other setup's. I have never tried tele (knees are not to good).

freeheel_skier
04-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Believe it or not tele is easier on the knees. It is hard on your legs(gluts, hams, quads). Dukes are heavy (85% resort) you have to remove the ski to swithch from ski to tour mode. If you huck you'll want the higher din setting that the duke provides. I don't know much about the freerides.

Welcome to the board!

jmac
04-10-2009, 08:54 PM
I've got both the Free Rides and the Baron's (lighter weight than the Duke, slightly lower max DIN of 12). Much prefer the Barons. Ski like an alpine binding (Free Rides are a bit noodly), skin flawlessly. Read reviews on backcountry.com and Lou Dawson.

Good luck!

ahm
04-11-2009, 08:58 AM
I have used a Fritschi freeride since 2005 for an extensive amount of touring, maybe 100 - 130 days in the backcountry and quite a few week long touring only trips.. Not side/slackcountry but actual ski touring. The binding is quite strong, easy to ski on and tours well. I have used them on the ice coast, British Columbia, France, Italy, Colorado and had only one issue where a toe mount cracked in the touring mode when I slipped while kick turning. The Freeride can handle very serious terrain and stay on your feet just fine. It moves in and out of tour mode effortlessly and is a super binding. It will take big drops (30 ft) just fine. It will handle icy terrain and tight couloirs just fine. It is not meant as a binding to ski moguls although in gaining confidence with my freeride I have taken it through it's share of ice bumps and it does not pre release at all. Some say the binding does not ski as well as the duke/baron etc. I think that has more to do with the skier (it's not the tune!). For all around use I think you'll find the freeride a great binding, also parts are easily available and if you are really touring, the weight vs a baron will be nice on the way up. Also, the bulk of AMGA/UIAGM/ACMG guides use freerides or dynafits for daily skiing. I rarely see the dukes/barons in the ski touring/ski mountaineering crowd. The freeride has been proven throughout the ski touring/mountaineering world. The verdict is still out on the duke/baron. Here's a couple shots using the freeride in some nice mellow terrain:
http://www.postimage.org/aV1HR8L9.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV1HR8L9)

http://www.postimage.org/Pq1GEIUA.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1GEIUA)

mattlucas
04-11-2009, 11:59 PM
85 / 15 dukes
50 / 50 FFR
35 / 65 Dyanfit plus new boots

the lighter you are the more i'd stay away from dukes.

ahm
04-12-2009, 10:03 AM
One thing I did not mention in my previous post is that if you are primarily an alpine skier, a la Mattlucas' post, then I do not recommend the Freeride as your only binding. As his post mentions, if you are 50/50 or so or even 65/35 the freeride is a great binding. If you are just looking to tour some, ie 10 - 20% of your time and want one set-up then by all means get the Marker. Have fun, there is a great deal of touring still out there, both in NH as well as out west. For those who have never given it a go, consider a late season trip to CO and ski Berthoud Pass. This is a cheap trip, easy access and lots of skiing. Grab the book Front Range Descents and you are good to go, just make sure you realize you need some avie gear, some avie trainging (wet slides this time of year although due to elevation BP can certainly get big late season storms) and a good group of friends to enjoy the trip.

HowieT2
04-22-2009, 08:13 PM
My new Line Prophet 90s came today. Any binding recommendations?
The Marker Barrons look nice for some AT versatility but since I've never done that I may just go with alpine bindings.