PDA

View Full Version : skinning Mt Ellen

ts01
04-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Now that lifts have closed, what is the policy (if any) on skinning or hiking up Mt Ellen?

Worth the effort next week midweek? I.e., decent skiing to be had?

We'll be riding the lifts at Lincoln Peak for a couple of days but it could be a fun adventure to skin up Mt Ellen one day.

Thanks. Pls PM if you'd rather not post.

Hawk
04-02-2009, 02:53 PM
I got it.......

madhavok
04-02-2009, 02:54 PM
If you have to ask your not going to like the answer.

Last Tracks
04-02-2009, 03:02 PM
the policy is that it is not allowed and in my experience you will be told that if you run into an employee. i'm sure the snow on the upper mtn. is great.

Mad river glen is very friendly to skinners.

summitchallenger
04-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Take the snowcat tour.

vonski
04-02-2009, 03:27 PM
just curious on this one. I thought that there was no skinning due to the fact that there are groomers and snow making equipment hazards in the early season. So, why would there be a problem with doing it now? The only groomer out would be the Lincoln Limo and is anyone renting that for spring conditions. I could see doing that if there were a two foot dump, but not for normal spring conditions. But what the @#$# do I know!

ts01
04-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Thanks everyone. We're about $1,800 short of the $1,800 cat skiing fee at this point in the season.

ts01
04-02-2009, 03:36 PM
Mad river glen is very friendly to skinners.

Friendly is good -- I've just been fixated on Mt Ellen though reading about their bump skiing this year but we could just keep going to Mecca.

ahm
04-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Skinning Mt Ellen can be very dangerous. Afterall, the ski area is closed and there are no ski patrollers out there to help you out if you get hurt. The clinic is closed and the glen haus (I like that spelling better) is not serving any food, so you could get lost and be hungry and have no one to help you out. Plus, there might be unmarked obstacles like water bars and grassy spots and this could hurt you. Not too mention there will be no other skiers out there (yeah!) and so in all that terrible corn and soft bumps you will be alone. Make sure you take a cell phone if you go and reco locator as well, maybe a medic alert would be beneficial too and a head lamp in case you get lost :wink: But if you go have fun..................I just might see you out there.

ts01
04-03-2009, 08:56 AM
...............I just might see you out there.

But that would be DANGEROUS!

Thank you for warning me, I will stay strapped in my desk chair until the terrible slippery white stuff melts away. Can't they plow it or salt it down already for safety's sake?

scharny
04-04-2009, 04:42 PM
#1 - The first rule of Fight Club is, you do not talk about Fight Club.

#2 - The second rule of Fight Club is, you DO NOT talk about Fight Club.

:wink:

Plowboy
04-14-2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks everyone. We're about $1,800 short of the $1,800 cat skiing fee at this point in the season.

Hikers Beware: The Lincoln Limo was transported over to ME today. :lol:

muddy_hollow
04-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Ok, obvious (maybe dumb) question, but does that mean that cat skiing will be available at ME until the snow is gone?

win
04-14-2009, 01:59 PM
The Lincoln Limo will be in use on Friday, so I and some others will be there to supervise this excursion. So far it is not booked any other day.

Our forest service permit and our liability insurance requires us to have certain policies and one is not to condone skiing or riding without supervision when trails are officially closed. If we see someone, we have to say something.

TreeBandit
04-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Hey muddy_hollow it is a good time to get those Dule broken in....

shadyjay
04-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Drove by Mt Ellen today on my way to Lincoln Peak and there still looks like there's A TON of snow up there. Only bare spots I could see were Brambles, liftline half of Inverness, and parts of Lower FIS. Granted, this was all from German Flats. The upper half of the mtn was just screamin' to host spring skiing again. I did not drive up the access road to see how the base area was looking.

Meanwhile, base of LP - was surprised to see as much snow as there was on Gate House side, but not enough for it to be open. Didn't have my gear with me as this trip was about tying up some loose ends and beginning the move from VT to CT :-( but reports I heard said the snow was very heavy - a good workout for the legs, I'm sure.

ski_it
04-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Cat Skiing at Mt. Ellen made the news tonight:
http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=10205350

Just caught this story on the Channel 3 news. Watching the two Bernese Mtn Dogs chasing Win skiing under bluebird skies was priceless. Definitely jealous as I was droning away in the office today, but psyched that I'll be out skiing tomorrow and Sunday.

Plowboy
04-18-2009, 07:24 AM
Go Shorty :lol:

win
04-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Rumble and his brother Jonesy had a blast. The first time down FIS they were right on my tails the whole way down. But the run down Black Diamond where the snow was deep and a bit heavier, tired them out a bit, so they were slower the second run down FIS, but they had enough energy to run all the way down to the base when I left the group to head over to LP. We still have great snow up in these mountains and Berners love the snow. Enjoy the Spring. There is still great skiing and riding for awhile.