PDA

View Full Version : Jumps on Slowpoke

Dawn Patrol
03-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Alright, when the spring rolls around, I for some reason find myself messing around in the park a little bit. Went over to the little jumps on Slowpoke last weekend. The kicker itself is fine, but what's with the landing? As in, there is NONE! Even with a bumped up inrun, on a warm day, with the wrong wax, doing a MAJOR speed check on the way in, I was not able to jump SHORT enough to actually land on the landing.... Every jump resulted in landing out in the flat.... Who built that thing?? Please tell me it was fixed this week! Wasn't there all this talk about bringing some people over from Ca or something and how awesome the park was going to be??

Lostone
03-13-2009, 02:00 PM
The real park is at North. I don't do parks, but those that have done that one say it is really good.

I think the landings on Slowpoke are flat because the trail is pretty flat.

Dawn Patrol
03-13-2009, 02:08 PM
The real park is at North. I don't do parks, but those that have done that one say it is really good.

I think the landings on Slowpoke are flat because the trail is pretty flat.

Most trails with jumps are relatively flat, they have to build up piles of snow to make the jumps/landings, as they did on slowpoke. They just did a poor job there.

atkinson
03-15-2009, 05:24 AM
One of the rules of terrain park riding is "Look before you leap" which includes scoping the landing before you jump and determining proper speed for hitting each lip. I am not an expert jibber by any stretch of the imagination, however I've been in the beginner-intermediate Slowpoke park several times a week all season and never overshot a landing.

John

vonski
03-15-2009, 08:18 AM
would not these jumps be designed for little ones! seeing how they are on a green trail. So designed for 50-70 pounders not grown whoppers!! density plays a roll here!

Dawn Patrol
03-15-2009, 10:28 PM
would not these jumps be designed for little ones! seeing how they are on a green trail. So designed for 50-70 pounders not grown whoppers!! density plays a roll here!

FWIW, slowpoke is a blue trail, not green. I did not realize that beginners were small either?

atkinson
03-16-2009, 06:34 AM
Neither the trail nor the size of the skier or rider matter, it's about scoping first and hitting the jumps at the right rate of speed for the landing.

Dawn Patrol
03-16-2009, 07:52 AM
Neither the trail nor the size of the skier or rider matter, it's about scoping first and hitting the jumps at the right rate of speed for the landing.

Exactly. At the current moment, you have to hit the jump so slow, that you barely make it to the top of the ramp, or you'll land in the flat. That, is a poorly designed jump.

gone.skiing
03-16-2009, 08:26 AM
Jumps are fine - adults and kids were hitting it last couple of days and landing on the transition.

I actually wanted to compliment the park guys for building something that kids can learn on. Compared to last year that park is major upgrade. Reasonable size jumps (enough to spin a 3), variety of rails and boxes. Great to see kids of all skill levels trying something new.

Lostone
03-16-2009, 03:14 PM
I have a pair of boots that don't fit me.

They aren't poorly designed boots.

They were made for someone else.

Why not try the real park, while you still have time? Just a couple weeks of North being open.

vonski
03-16-2009, 07:03 PM

Why not try the real park, while you still have time? Just a couple weeks of North being open.

Thanks for making my point more clear!

Dawn Patrol
03-16-2009, 08:46 PM

See, the great thing about projectile motion is, that it's nothing like feet at all. It's very predictable, so unless there is a large group of people who manage to create SO much more wind resistance they don't over shoot the landing, I stand by my point. You have to hit the jump going impossibly slow to hit the landing. And I'm talking about the big jump. There is a small jump right next to it, I'd presume for people who don't want to jump as high....

Lostone
03-16-2009, 09:29 PM
And what you seem to ignore is that many people are hitting those same jumps without overshooting them, so it isn't a requirement that they go impossibly slow. :?

They're unlikely to be redoing the jumps so that they are good for you, as they would need a lot more snow than they have available, so you can either switch to the larger park, learn to use this one properly, or get used to landing on the flat. :roll:

Dawn Patrol
03-17-2009, 05:40 AM
And what you seem to ignore is that many people are hitting those same jumps without overshooting them, so it isn't a requirement that they go impossibly slow. :?

They're unlikely to be redoing the jumps so that they are good for you, as they would need a lot more snow than they have available, so you can either switch to the larger park, learn to use this one properly, or get used to landing on the flat. :roll:

Nice attitude.... AFAIK, people who care about their businesses like to hear feedback so that NEXT time they can do it right...

madhavok
03-17-2009, 06:23 AM
Odd of you to mention the jumps because I happened to hurt my back on the first jump on slow poke this past Saturday...
Now it isn't a big jump and I was slowing up the whole in run until I hit the kicker so you know I wasn't airing one out. The landing was terrible flat and frozen which left me with a bad back. The jump is fine, the there is no doubt that the landing needs to be extended. I don't believe anyone who thinks otherwise have hit the jump in the past few days.

Hawk
03-17-2009, 06:35 AM
I think the point that Lostone is making is that the Jump on slowpoke is made for kids and beginners. They did not make it at an element for expert skiers. They are not going to modify it for expert skiers. I am sure the mountain ops people thought that they did it right.

It's like an adult showing up at the playground and saying the swings are to small.

Your argument should be why isn't there a terrain park at Lincoln Peak? Now that I will support.

gone.skiing
03-17-2009, 07:57 AM
Odd of you to mention the jumps because I happened to hurt my back on the first jump on slow poke this past Saturday...
Now it isn't a big jump and I was slowing up the whole in run until I hit the kicker so you know I wasn't airing one out. The landing was terrible flat and frozen which left me with a bad back. The jump is fine, the there is no doubt that the landing needs to be extended. I don't believe anyone who thinks otherwise have hit the jump in the past few days.

Sorry to hear about your back.... Kids hit those jumps all the time and land on the transition without any problems. Some of them actually land short because they are too slow on the in-run. I am not an expert, but it appears that jump requires just right amount of speed to hit the transition properly. Figuring out that speed is part of learning to jump safely.

Also jump is not high so extending the transition will make it flatter, so instead of nice steep transition you will have a longer flat one. That is not going to make your landing any more pleasant.

I have hit it and friends of mine hit it both Saturday and Sunday. Everything was nice and soft in the afternoon. If landing was still frozen, you might have been a little early.

Dawn Patrol
03-17-2009, 08:15 AM
I think the point that Lostone is making is that the Jump on slowpoke is made for kids and beginners. They did not make it at an element for expert skiers. They are not going to modify it for expert skiers. I am sure the mountain ops people thought that they did it right.

It's like an adult showing up at the playground and saying the swings are to small.

Your argument should be why isn't there a terrain park at Lincoln Peak? Now that I will support.

I don't believe I read or ever heard that the terrain park on slowpoke was for lightweight skiers. You can't even say beginners because it is not a matter of skill, but physics...

Lostone
03-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Nice attitude.... AFAIK, people who care about their businesses like to hear feedback so that NEXT time they can do it right...

1) I am not speaking here as an official member of the Sugarbush team. Anything I post here is my own opinion. I was doing so before I was an ambassador and will continue beyond that.

B) I remind you that this is not an official communication channel for Sugarbush. This is a place where people with interests in either mountain or the valley come to communicate their thoughts and opinions. Should you want to communicate with Sugarbush and get their official responses to your thoughts, feel free to contact them thru their website, send emails or stop in and express your thoughts to the friendly people at guest services.

III) You don't seem to get my point. What I am suggesting to you that (IMNATHO) instead of asking them to put substantial more work and expense into making the park what you would like, you should instead go to the one that was designed for what you wish. They already have it. Your pass price includes admission to it.

Should you find that not to your specifications, (Boy, wouldn't that be a surprise? :roll: ) feel free to let us know.

d) There is a joke by Henny Youngman. He goes to the doctor and says, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." The doctor answers, "Then don't do that!"

Love to discuss it further, but it is a lovely day outside, and I think I'll go skiing. 8)

Dawn Patrol
03-17-2009, 08:32 AM

1) I am not speaking here as an official member of the Sugarbush team. Anything I post here is my own opinion. I was doing so before I was an ambassador and will continue beyond that.

B) I remind you that this is not an official communication channel for Sugarbush. This is a place where people with interests in either mountain or the valley come to communicate their thoughts and opinions. Should you want to communicate with Sugarbush and get their official responses to your thoughts, feel free to contact them thru their website, send emails or stop in and express your thoughts to the friendly people at guest services.

You're right, people NEVER post here to get the attention of the ski area.............................................. .............

III) You don't seem to get my point. What I am suggesting to you that (IMNATHO) instead of asking them to put substantial more work and expense into making the park what you would like, you should instead go to the one that was designed for what you wish. They already have it. Your pass price includes admission to it.

Should you find that not to your specifications, (Boy, wouldn't that be a surprise? :roll: ) feel free to let us know.

d) There is a joke by Henny Youngman. He goes to the doctor and says, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." The doctor answers, "Then don't do that!"

Love to discuss it further, but it is a lovely day outside, and I think I'll go skiing. 8)

IMNTHO, running a cat over there to reshape the landing isn't that much work, especially when the cats are all over the mountain most night anyway........

Jumps are designed for jumping. If they for some inexplicable reason, only intended for small children to hit those jumps, they should give people a heads up.

gone.skiing
03-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Jumps are designed for jumping. If they for some inexplicable reason, only intended for small children to hit those jumps, they should give people a heads up.

Every jump is designed for certain speed to make it to the landing, you need to figure out what that speed is. That is your responsibility. If that speed is too slow for your taste, try big park. Or better yet keep working that keyboard, it is a lot easier on your back.

atkinson
03-17-2009, 09:14 AM
The jumps are correctly designed, regardless of weight, size or ability of the skier/ rider. Everybody needs to scope out the jumps before hitting them, so you don't overshoot the landing. If you overshoot the landing, then you have judged incorrectly. This is not an attack on anybody's skill level, it is the pure physics of gravity and velocity.

John

Dawn Patrol
03-17-2009, 09:31 AM
The jumps are correctly designed, regardless of weight, size or ability of the skier/ rider. Everybody needs to scope out the jumps before hitting them, so you don't overshoot the landing. If you overshoot the landing, then you have judged incorrectly. This is not an attack on anybody's skill level, it is the pure physics of gravity and velocity.

John

I just don't agree with this. I went back there last weekend to try it out again. While yes, it is POSSIBLE to hit the jump at a slow walking pace, and land in the proper area, any amount of speed will result in overshooting. When I say any, I mean any. From a complete stop at the top of the inrun, I had to do several speed checks and be doing the snowplow going UP the jump to land anywhere near short enough. Now I'm fairly certain I don't have any special super speedy high flying jumping ability so I'd say the landing is too short. The MUCH smaller ramp right next to it has basically an identical landing, and that just doesn't make sense.

bill-now
03-17-2009, 11:15 AM
The jumps were sized to meet the requirements of Claybrook owners. :wink: DP, of all people, should understand that!

Dawn Patrol
03-17-2009, 11:43 AM
The jumps were sized to meet the requirements of Claybrook owners. :wink: DP, of all people, should understand that!

It's a free-for-all down there... They need someone checking for those red claybrook passes... I hear they have someone stationed at the top of the church checking for them too...

freeheel_skier
03-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Scoping and speed checking key.......

Overshooting ask Simon Dumont

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V2H9IdaxDg