PDA

View Full Version : SB in the NYT

Fourwide
03-13-2009, 08:33 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/13/us/13ski.html?_r=1&ref=sports

Here's the SB exerpt:

"At Sugarbush in Warren, Vt., revenue is up 15 percent this year, a “shocking” figure, said J. J. Toland, a resort spokesman. Sales of season passes are up 11 percent, and traffic to the resort’s Web site jumped 28 percent during a week in which the mountain received two feet of snow.

“For some,” Mr. Toland said, skiing and snowboarding “are a passion, versus an amenity or an indulgency.”

“People will go out one night less, or they won’t go out to dinner or they won’t go to the movies so they can go skiing for a day,” he said. “I think people are tightening their belt in that regard.”"

Not an April 1 joke!

Last Tracks
03-13-2009, 09:23 AM
"At Sugarbush in Warren, Vt., revenue is up 15 percent this year, a “shocking” figure, said J. J. Toland, a resort spokesman. Sales of season passes are up 11 percent, and traffic to the resort’s Web site jumped 28 percent during a week in which the mountain received two feet of snow.

I also think the airline's high fees on oversized bags and the fact that traveling by plane is such a pain in the ass must be a factor helping the eastern ski resorts.

I wonder if the 15% increase in revenue is due to more visitors, price increases, or sugarbush attracting a more affluent crowd that is spending more per visitor. i would imagine its a combination of all 3. Also wonder if the revenue number is just tickets and pass sales or does it include lodging, real estate sales, ski school, rentals, and food/beverage?

win
03-14-2009, 02:33 PM
I wish we were up 15%. JJ was not quoted correctly. He was talking about our season pass sales.

slatham
03-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Win, any color on how the year has turned out financially? Other places are reporting increases over last year, and the old saw that skiing is more sensitive to the weather than the economy seems to be true again. I hope you guys have done well. And I hope I have the opportunity to contribute again this winter before its over! :D

win
03-16-2009, 07:46 PM
We are down slightly from last year almost entirely due to the five lousy days during Christmas week and a couple of bad weather days over MLK and President's week. When the conditions have been good, people are skiing and riding. Unfortunately, the worst days have come on the Holidays. The biggest plus for the year was the growth in our season pass sales and our season passholders are skiing more this year.

aejkb
03-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Does anyone know: What is the % breakdown of home states that the season pass holders come from?

muddy_hollow
03-17-2009, 05:49 AM
I don't know about official statistics, but guessing from the license plates in the condo lot and driving around the valley; I'll wager the breakdown by state is close to: 40% MA, 25% VT, 15% NY/NJ, 15% NH, 5% ME, RI, etc.

What surprises me personally is the number of families that travel up from our home town each weekend. We've bumped into more folks this year who are now renting places in warren/waitsfield, than ever before.

One question I had about the season passes this year; is the price listed on the resort website the discounted price? It's not clear if that is the early bird price this year or if it will be the same price in October. I suspect there's a 100 discount built into that price, but wanted to confirm.

Last Tracks
03-17-2009, 06:49 AM
resorts across the country saw the same trends this year in their mountain operations. pass sales up double digits, day ticket sales down 5 to 10%. there seem to be 2 theories, 1) the window for pass sales last year was before the economic downtown really took hold and that we will see weakness this year, 2) people are buying a pass as their only major winter leisure expense and then not doing other vacations.. after all, a pass can provide a great amount of entertainment for the dollar if you use it.

Win's comment about pass holders skiing more this year might seem to lend support to #2.

HowieT2
03-17-2009, 06:51 AM
I'm surprised to hear that revenue is down. There seems to me to have been a significant increase in people at the mountain. I've been there every weekend but one, although I did also miss the christmas week. I thought the weather for presidents weekend was similar to last year and obviously the end of that week was epic.
Is it possible, that skier visits are up but revenue down? A consequence of the recession.
I would also think that the expanded CRP and better menu has meant more revenue from there or did that cannibilize sales from Timbers. Personally, my family has spent a lot more money in the CRP this year than last year, but less at Timbers.♠