PDA

View Full Version : FYI

ski_resort_observer
02-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Mellon called it day @ 8:30 this morning. It was pretty wild up there with constant knock you on your ass wind gusts. When I left Mellon, LP was on windhold with the slightest of chances some lifts might spin. If the forecast holds up, tomorrow should be epic if you stay away from wind blown areas. I bet the woods tomorrow will be unreal.

shadyjay
02-23-2009, 10:51 AM
They sent all us liftys home at 8:15 this morning from LP.... blowing so hard that one person got swept off their feet. Report from the Limo said there was 0 visib.
Not looking good for any lifts to spin. Guess its possible they could scrounge and get a couple ops to run, but the forecast is calling for winds like this all day. Wish I'd known before I made the trip in, though the drive home an hour after coming in was easier than the drive in.... no way to predict this kind of stuff though.

Get some rest and prepare for tomorrow!

Last Tracks
02-23-2009, 12:57 PM
i just returned from LP. Got a ride up on the lincoln limo to top of VH double. Very windy, chairs on VH were blowing all around. Skied Gangster. Everything is drifted with wind slab and powder. Technically demanding and awesome. Will be back tomorrow morning for another try.

HowieT2
02-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Me, Boze and the boys were lucky enough to catch 2 trips up in the cat. Did Gangster and the Mall. Very wind packed with huge drifts. Exhausting.
Bummed i had to drive home. tomorrow should be great for those lucky enough to be there.

Strat
02-23-2009, 07:57 PM
How come I've never heard of "Gangster('s)" until this weekend? I mean it doesn't take a genius to figure out the general area, but it's just funny that after a few years of lurking around these forums I still run into publicly tossed-around names that I haven't heard before...

shadyjay
02-23-2009, 08:17 PM
How come I've never heard of "Gangster('s)" until this weekend? I mean it doesn't take a genius to figure out the general area, but it's just funny that after a few years of lurking around these forums I still run into publicly tossed-around names that I haven't heard before...

You're not alone, Strat! I originally thought the reference was that Last Tracks had to ski like a gangster.... complete with bling and wearing a hat or helmet backwards. Come on, doesn't everyone wear their season pass off a solid gold dollar sign hangin' around their neck? :wink: :D :D

Maybe Stein's was a gangster :o
Or maybe Ravenna's :lol:
Everyone knows real gangsters hang out in Eden :roll:

Lostone
02-23-2009, 08:44 PM
Names are everywhere. :roll:

I was sworn to secrecy about a named section of woods that everybody skis.

I've been invited to another "secret stash" by name, to find out I'd been there two runs before.

Where this one is, gets narrowed down by where they were... but you may ride it by another name, or none at all. :wink:

Strat
02-23-2009, 08:55 PM
What I wonder more really is where these names come from... I don't know the exact location of the Orchard but one can assume that it refers to the general forest character over there... Bear Claw is earthy at least... Gangster seems quite random though.

HowieT2
02-23-2009, 09:06 PM
What I wonder more really is where these names come from... I don't know the exact location of the Orchard but one can assume that it refers to the general forest character over there... Bear Claw is earthy at least... Gangster seems quite random though.

I had no idea what "gangster" was called until someone led me there this weekend.

Strat
02-23-2009, 09:22 PM

I had no idea what "gangster" was called until someone led me there this weekend.
But you had most likely skied it before just calling it "the woods off of _________"

"A line by any other name would ski as nice (with three feet of fresh)"

HowieT2
02-23-2009, 09:26 PM

But you had most likely skied it before just calling it "the woods off of _________"

"A line by any other name would ski as nice (with three feet of fresh)"

Exactly.

jwt
02-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Well it seems I grotto go there! Or - been there - no more than 5th ot 6th this weekend, then again, entrances are where the skinny keep out those that like width.

Just someone take me to Jerusalem please, this would be the week too.

slaw
02-24-2009, 06:57 AM
Do we really want to be throwing the names around? Just asking. My thought process would be that if you hear a name you will start asking around about that spot, and find it. That is what I have done/do. In fact, I heard about one this weekend on the bus......still looking but, yes I will get it.

Hawk
02-24-2009, 07:02 AM
Names, names, names....everybody's got a different name... I listen to all of the old timers and just stick with what they say. It's kind of funny how some get bent out of shape if you don't call it right... :wink:

Anyway, I am sure that if you buy Treeskier a beer he would fill you in on some of the origins of the names....or maybe not. :lol: :wink:

Plowboy
02-24-2009, 08:05 AM
THE REAL NAME IS NOT Huey's Chute. :roll:

notorious
02-24-2009, 04:09 PM
This is just wrong. Can't you guys pm each other on this topic? Showing a trusted friend a "secret stash" one thing. (The code was no more than one new person per line per year)
Putting it up on the web is quite another.
BTW, good luck on the road to Jerusalem. You'll need more than the Lord as your guide.

Last Tracks
02-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Holy shit! today was off the hook. There is so much snow that you can ski everything from Eden to Brambles. It's all one big woods run right now.

Hawk
02-24-2009, 05:31 PM
This is just wrong. Can't you guys pm each other on this topic? Showing a trusted friend a "secret stash" one thing. (The code was no more than one new person per line per year)
BTW, good luck on the road to Jerusalem. You'll need more than the Lord as your guide.

What are you babbling about? I have no idea what you just said.... :wink:

Strat
02-24-2009, 06:02 PM
No one has directly posted any locations; we all know better. As we've been saying, names mean nothing.

klop
02-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Hey tossing names around just whets everyone's appetite. How many on the forum could actually ski Gangster's anyway? Much less get in there without impaling themselves on a tree limb. Playing these games is what makes this forum so fun. PS is it Phat Cat or Glory Line? I've heard it called both.

freeheel_skier
02-24-2009, 06:56 PM

What are you babbling about? I have no idea what you just said.... :wink:

Who Cares :roll: Apparently the code is no longer :lol:

ski_resort_observer
02-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Let's interject a dose of reality here. Just cause someone puts a name to a line in the woods, doesn't make it a "secret stash". Might I suggest if you want to beat this dead horse, start a new thread. :D

freeheel_skier
02-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Let's interject a dose of reality here. Just cause someone puts a name to a line in the woods, doesn't make it a "secret stash". Might I suggest if you want to beat this dead horse, start a new thread. :D

Ditto. This went from an FYI to Name calling :P

FYI I am more concerned with the weather on Thursday. :shock:

Lostone
02-24-2009, 10:25 PM
I couldn't see worrying about topic drift as the original purpose of the thread was dead a couple hours after it was posted.

And after all... Isn't everything on the board... fyi? :lol:

slaw
02-25-2009, 06:57 AM
Ski resort wrote;

So, the line name I learned about, then asked a few on the mountian it's location, that I will bring all my friends and family to on Sat. morn is irrelevant? My only point was the more a name is used in any public form will bring more attention to it. Especially to the ones that are so easily accessible. Wish I were there today "searching"!!

skibum1321
02-25-2009, 07:27 AM
No one has directly posted any locations; we all know better. As we've been saying, names mean nothing.
No one directly posted locations, but they weren't far off from it. If you know the mountain at all, you can pretty easily figure out from the descriptions.

Plowboy
02-25-2009, 07:51 AM
PS is it Phat Cat or Glory Line? I've heard it called both.

:lol: I don't think the word phat was used too much when the Glory Line was cut. :wink:

Lostone
02-25-2009, 08:21 AM
So, the line name I learned about, then asked a few on the mountian it's location, that I will bring all my friends and family to on Sat. morn is irrelevant?

Anyone who will show a stranger where a trail named Gangsters is is the same person who would show the same stranger any trail they know, were the stranger ask if they knew any woods off Birch, or wherever.

Were you to ask me, I'd say there were a lot of names for a lot of trails. I doubt I'd ski with you for long... :roll: or you with me. :wink:

My point is the name is inconsequential. It is more a problem of showing "untrustworthy" people your "secret stash"

muddy_hollow
02-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Anyone who really wants to ski the trees only has to do a bit of homework either on the trails or via google earth. Then follow the tracks on a good day, especially in SB.

Unless you're carrying a leaf blower behind you to cover your tracks, expect to be followed. :shock:

Plowboy
02-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Unless you're carrying a leaf blower behind you to cover your tracks, expect to be followed. :shock:

Ah, Ronco's new Pocket Track Eraser, only $19.99. Oh, wait the next 100 callers will get 2 for the price of 1. :idea:

slaw
02-25-2009, 09:33 AM
Lostone,

I agree. All I wanted to convey was that the "public" discussion of names (even if there are several used) will result in more traffic. I'll leave it at that. Enjoy the nice day.

Sugaree
02-25-2009, 02:59 PM
I know of a great restaurant in Warren, but I am not going to tell you where it is, what it serves or when it is open, because I might not be able to get in when I want to on a Saturday evening, or it may result in slower service.

This whole "code" thing is silly. It is one thing if you participate in trail creation or maintenance and want to "reserve" a spot (albeit on property you don't own) for yourself. It is quite another thing to insist on secrecy about a spot you just happen to know about but had no role in creating or maintaining.

skibum1321
02-25-2009, 03:48 PM
I know of a great restaurant in Warren, but I am not going to tell you where it is, what it serves or when it is open, because I might not be able to get in when I want to on a Saturday evening, or it may result in slower service.

This whole "code" thing is silly. It is one thing if you participate in trail creation or maintenance and want to "reserve" a spot (albeit on property you don't own) for yourself. It is quite another thing to insist on secrecy about a spot you just happen to know about but had no role in creating or maintaining.
You're totally right - we should just put up big trail signs on the top of all known woods lines. If anyone ever asks about good trees, you should lead them into a line that someone worked hard to cut in hopes of finding powder one day. Here's to skiing icy bumps in the trees :roll:

mikec13
02-25-2009, 04:18 PM
This is an interesting debate. I agree that some of this is silly since I am assuming it is a select few who actually maintain and cut the lines and, unless they are all posters on this board, were shown the lines by a friend or followed someone into the woods. So to complain about "others" discovering the line when you in fact were an "other" prior to your own discovery seems a bit weak. I also think the code argument is weakend by people who flaunt the fact that "they've got a secret". Not everyone does this and I am not going to review posts to cite examples but I have seen many examples of people considering themselves part of some inner circle secret society because they know where all of the secret stashes are hidden. I think this type of behavior promotes people like myself to want to follow people into the woods or ask around about good unmarked tree lines much more than if it was never discussed at any level.

I can also appreciate that prior to my discovering tree skiing that a "code" existed so, out of respect to the select few that do cut and maintain the lines, I abide by the code. I guess I would prefer that if you didn't create the line or maintain the line you recognize that we are all entitled to ski it and it is impolite to whisper.

HowieT2
02-25-2009, 05:12 PM

You're totally right - we should just put up big trail signs on the top of all known woods lines. If anyone ever asks about good trees, you should lead them into a line that someone worked hard to cut in hopes of finding powder one day. Here's to skiing icy bumps in the trees :roll:

There's a big difference between uttering the name of a tree run and advertising it's location to the general public. The former means absolutely 'nothing to those who are unfamiliar. I can't understand this taboo about uttering the names. I don't even know the names to most of the tree runs I do. sometimes after I do them I don't even know my own name. Some of you need to lighten up.

Sugaree
02-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Signs would be fine. How about "Uptight Trees", "NDA Woods" or my favorite: "The Confidentiality Zone."

In all seriousness, no one is talking about taking out an ad in the Valley Reporter describing the tree lines. But what's wrong with word of mouth? I have discovered many tree lines because people do talk. If I want to bring a buddy with me or tell someone, so what?

atkinson
02-25-2009, 08:16 PM
We tell the kids not to name names, because many names are wrong or at least non-descript. Call it what you want, but know where you are. What's left, what's right, what's below? How far? Any water, ice or cliffs? Am I ready?

There are more than four thousand acres on this side of the ridge alone, plus MRG and more. I skied lines off Gate House today that were fresh. But I also respect the code, which is to help with legit work and no chit-chatting in the lodge or lift-line. There's a little something to be said for the mystique of the mountain, better revealed gradually and all the sweeter for the finding.

Prepare. Explore. Discover. Be better here.

John

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/self-Port1sm.jpg

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/eganSB10207.jpg

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/DigSB5-0307sm.jpg

freeheel_skier
02-25-2009, 09:27 PM
^^^^^
Love the stokage.

Very well said! Atkinson nailed it. Especially regarding orientation.

I love the ski pole shot.....do ya think the woods are filled in yet :shock:

Last Tracks
02-25-2009, 09:37 PM
We tell the kids not to name names, because many names are wrong or at least non-descript. Call it what you want, but know where you are. What's left, what's right, what's below? How far? Any water, ice or cliffs? Am I ready?

It wasn't that long ago that you weren't supposed to go in the woods at all. we used to to sneak around to enter and exit to avoid getting "busted".

things have sure changed for the better.

Hawk
02-26-2009, 07:48 AM

It wasn't that long ago that you weren't supposed to go in the woods at all. we used to to sneak around to enter and exit to avoid getting "busted".

things have sure changed for the better.

Or worse depending on how you look at it. :)