PDA

View Full Version : What was you best day ever?

win
02-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Today was one of the best if not the best mornings I have ever had. I awoke to 3-4" of fresh snow at my home at 5:30 am and wasn't particularly excited about first tracks in the Lincoln Limo, but since people had signed up I made my way to the mountain. Patrol had just come down when I arrived and reported 8" at the base and 16" up top, so the excitement built. When we got to the top of North Lynx at 7:15am we made Birch our first run. It was immediately apparent that the powder we were skiing was deeper than 16". You had to breath through your nose to keep from drowning. The powder was deep and light, and I do not recall skiing in anything nicer. On my first run down Castlerock and then Lower Castlerock, I measured with my own ski pole, and it was 24" deep, and I found spots around the mountain where it was up to my upper thighs. One great morning, and we are expecting another 12-15" starting tomorrow morning and lasting into Monday am.

I am going to vote that today was the best morning that I can remember anywhere. (But I only started skiing regularly at age 35).

muddy_hollow
02-21-2009, 03:21 PM
I woke up to a complete surprise of more than 6 inches of powder on my car. Got to the slopes and hit bravo for a quick run down snowball and it was outstanding! Knee deep powder and waist deep on my 8 year old daughter. Put tracks in Eden

Keep in mind my wife started skiing at 40 and today she skied Steins, Moonshine, and Ripcord! God I love her!!!

I also had a first today, the four dads jumped into SlideBrook at noon and powered through the pow. Only one other person in our group had skied SB in the past and we all had personal firsts.

TODAY was the best conditions I have ever skied before in the east. All I heard this morning was woohoo, yahoo, holy crap that was great! Smiles, laughs and sore quads!

We just got back to our condo, gearing up for a dinner out with the adults and enjoying the glow from my two girls on personal bests today.

Words cannot sum it up.

D

Jacksun
02-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Today surpassed epic and moved into biblical territory. Definitely one of the best ever for me. As my friend PJ put it, while we were hip deep in untracked in Paradise woods (name was never so accurate as today): "You gotta remember, this is lift serviced skiing - you'd have to pay $100 a run or more for a cat or heli out West!" There was not a bad spot on the mountain the entire day, and everyone out there was in a great mood. It was like being at a huge outdoor party all day.

Wow...

Lostone
02-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Best day skiing? Hard to say… :?

Was it the day we were skiing Smuggs and got 2.5 feet, as we skied? Maybe the next day, when we’d gotten another 2’ overnight, and went to Bolton? And with 4.5’ in that two day period, they were planning on closing the next week! The passholders were going crazy! :x

Was it the time I went to Bromley, and we got 3’ the night before and thru the day, as we skied? And the next day we went to Stratton, and … there was no snow!!! :shock: They’d groomed absolutely everything!

Was it one in the year (2000/2001?) where there was so much snow that we could ski anywhere because there was so much snow? We would ski Egan’s Woods, across Lower Birdland, thru to Lower Organgrinder, and then continue thru the woods to Lower Jester. :)

Was it the day mentioned in an earlier thread, where there was 3’ of snow, and I arrived at the mountain with 1 glove and one mitten, both for the same hand? I fined myself $40 for stupidity and bought a new pair of mittens. :roll:

There were a lot of great days. This skiing thing is stupid! All these days were big snow days, when anyone with any sense would have been inside watching television! :P

As for today, I think there might have been two days that might have beat it this season. Not sure how much we got from one, but pretty sure the other was reported as 18”. Both were weekdays and I flew down Ripcord, barely turning, letting the snow slow me down. After both… the winds came up, and the next day there was almost no snow to be found. :cry:

But as for how today was? I heard “Epic” used on 4 different chairs. With Wednesday night’s snow, which was a heavy, sticky snow on Thursday. That was followed by Thursday night’s snow, which made Friday a fun day to play in all the light powder, with a much better base than would have been there without the Wednesday night’s snow. Then, to have the “snow showers and flurries” turn out to be so much nice, easy turning snow… Well, ya know? People just seemed to have fun! 8)

I did a binding check in one section of woods. Then later, I got caught by a submerged branch and had a heck of a time releasing my binding as the ski was stuck by snow, below, and the boot, by the branch, above. Before and between these incidents, there was some fantastic skiing!

I am so sore I can hardly move. But, by tomorrow, I’m expecting to move much better. :wink:

HowieT2
02-21-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm too tired to properly put into words how good today was. Fresh tracks everywhere. 5th chair on the SB. We were about the 10th chair on Heavens gate (link to video in other thread). We busted down Paradise and ran into none other than the Stoke Commander with his minion. It was knee to thigh deep and perfect. Face shots everywhere.

djd66
02-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Today was my wife's 40th b-day. I could not have planned a better day.Started out with my wife and I going out for 1st tracks. I had no idea of the 2 feet of light and dry pow that was waiting. Skied 4 runds with her then I sent her on her way for a day at Alta Day Spa with her girl friends. We had a sitter coming to the house to watch the kids and I was off! No friends on a powder day - is there something about no parenting on a powder day when there is 20+ inches??? Like I said, I could not have planned the day better. Wife was happy, kids were being watched and me, well, as far as my wife new, I was planning dinner.

Skiing today was AWESOME! First few runs compared to heli-skiing - it was that light and dry! The rest of the day was just incredible. Smiles all around.

What kind of excuse can I use to not show up on Monday???

shadyjay
02-21-2009, 09:47 PM
Reading the posts in this thread is making me sick.... problem is, I can't call out - otherwise I'm going to have A LOT of people disappointed ... all of you who rode North Lynx today :wink:

The amounts were accurate to best of my knowledge - over a foot when I got to top of NLynx this AM shortly after 8, with snow still flying. She cleared out shortly later, as I worked hard to make sense out of my ramp, which had hung up my board as I got off... there was that much to stall me on the ramp, though I kept moving. As I kept shoveling, my board was buried. Lift mechanics were working hard at the base, giving me time to work. About 10 till' 9, we got the ok, finished my checklist, and we opened right on schedule. Noone was upset - the terrain accessed by NLynx, those hundreds (if not thousands including SB) was available to all who wanted to partake. We had some wind gusts, but we kept on truckin'. John and his crew came up and dove into SB, never to be seen (by me) again. Win came up for a couple runs. I finally got the tunes going and blasted them out, even after the wind had sent the apparatus into the snow. All the while, I attempted to hold back my anticipation.

At 4:05, after shutdown was completed and my ramp was raked, I put the music into my pack, still playing, and the sounds of the Dead, Allman Brothers, Phish, and others guided me down "last tracks" on Birch, with patrol hot on my heels. The new snow + earlier traffic created some nice soft bumps, but the sounds that one usually hears when they hit Birch at 4 (or Downspout after noon) were absent... scraping, scratching. Silent and serene. My regret is that I didn't get out for more as it sure looked like fun.

If the forecast/storm pans out as predicted, maybe my "last tracks" tomorrow will be like fresh tracks this morning... to a degree. Then again, I'm at base of GH. We'll keep 'er spinning and see what happens. Regardless, everyone at the mountain works hard so you all can come out and play. And our day is coming very soon. So enjoy, and be safe out there, and save some for us :)

Here's to more epic powder days in the days and weeks to come!

Hawk
02-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Saturday was not the best day ever but definately in the Top 10. The snow was light and very, very deep.

We got 12th chair at Bravo at 8:00am but our timing was a little off at Heaven's Gate and we were back in the pack. At any rate we made very good decisions all morning and had some very memorable runs. Highlights were in no particular order, Ripdise!!!! :shock: Over the head!.....Gangsters, Orchard, Rumble woods, Castlerock woods, Slidebrook...Both sides and then a couple of adventures not to be named. I have to thank the souls that made their way out on the long trail in front of us. It made it much easier to get to where we were going. :wink:...and that run was the stuff of dreams. 8)

skiladi
02-24-2009, 11:45 PM
Left Wednesday for the bush in hopes of a powder day. I came home today after 6 powder days. Monday was sketchy but caught 3 cat rides. Couldn't believe how good today was. Wish I could have stayed but made plans with grandkids for their vaca and my cat, " the other one " ; } was really missing me. Be back soon. Lostone , had fun in the trees and we took H to CR and he really did well!

Lostone
02-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Guess they didn't tell you, but I said hi to Becky, as I rode above her, then met both of them by the CR lift, as they were waiting for y'all. Skiing over there was something else!

Heard someone called you a bad name, in the woods? :lol:

Yeah... skiing sucks, now. 8)

gratefulskier
02-25-2009, 09:32 AM
I've probably had days just as good, but none any better than yesterday. I got first tracks in a few tree lines and I was still skiing untracked snow at 3:30. I was so tired on that last tree run that we opted for a run down Ripcord rather than more trees to finish the day. Ripcord was as enjoyable as I've ever seen it. I think that was the only run I did all day that is on a trail map.

GS

John Walden
02-25-2009, 09:50 AM
My wife and I stayed until Monday afternoon hoping to ski. However, Saturday was close to epic. We had a group with us who skiied every trail at ME, including Lower FIS three times. Hopefully the weatherman cooperates at the end of this week with us. My ski buddies are leaving once again for Alta on Saturday, (second trip this winter), but I am planning on staying at the Bush ( I also didn't get my stimulus check yet ).

boze
02-25-2009, 11:49 PM
This past Saturday was definately top 3, and I'm only hedging there as my memory is not what it used to be. Any way you slice it, it was a stupendous day to be on the slopes. You really did not have to search for fresh stashes as they were everywhere. Still, getting there early was verrry niiice, and all that fresh pow was a great reward for having hit the road at 325am w/ my son to get 5th or 6th chair from CT.

This clip was shot after heading up Heaven's Gate ~ 20th chair - - not bad but would have been ~ 5 chairs sooner if not for all those little Adventurer kids who slotted into the line ahead of us as the chair opened up. :?
http://www.vimeo.com/3375091

Now, that act of cutting by approx 12+ folks caused quite a few heckles to be emitted, mostly good intentioned but many decidely less so. I'd suggest the powers-that-be give a serious re-think to the cutting policy such that no one - other than patrol - can get priority seating before the first chair spins in the AM. IMHO, for first chair bounty, all should have to wait. Once the initial line passes through, help yourself to your cutting privledges. Those early seats are in very limited supply and are often only had by deciding to give up some additional early AM runs on the lower terrain in order to queue up and wait patiently in, e.g., the HG chair line.

To pre-empt the know-it-alls, some may say 'head to Castlerock', but that would preclude all other higher elevation terrain, and that's no real solution - even as amazing as C-rock is. And I recognize some pay more for lessons & groups, etc. To that I say, you can act a bit more respectful to your fellow skiers and still get all your lessoning / adventuring in by simply choosing to point your skis towards the already open terrain (when the lower lifts can serve you). Or, wait in line with the rest of us if you really want to / need to get those first tracks. But cutting on any lift to snag 1st tracks, to me is not only snarky but comes across as a bit disingenuous and disrespectful. OK, done venting. It was still a super sweet day, and no hard feelings. I bought my ticket knowing some may cut me. But in this situation I still chose not to like it.

freeheel_skier
02-26-2009, 12:25 AM
If I were to pay for a private lesson and or were in a program.....or had kids in a program.....and it happened to be on a powder day.....there would be no lesson et. al....just lapping and/or "cutting".....That is life. :wink:

Plan accordingly :!:

Hawk
02-26-2009, 07:43 AM
It is what it is. This has been the policy, is the policy and will be the policy going forward I am sure. With all due respect Boze, I don't know why people get so cranked up about this. The mountain is not a democracy, it is a corporation. They do what they do. They owe us nothing. (I am sure I will get blasted for this one.. :) ) It seems lately that a large amount of people have been feeling entitled to all kinds of things. Now I know you were just asking the question and that is fine. I have seen you guys all around the mountain ripping it up and you seem like good folks. But if you want to guarantee that you’re near the front of the line on a powder day, you have to get there real early and wait. The other option is weekday skiing. This is always been the norm.

The other side of the coin is that the mountain all of sudden says to the Ski School, “By the way, people on the message board are complaining so no more cutting the lines". Think about the Ski School people and patrollers that have quit life down south, moved to the valley and took low paying seasonal jobs just because of their dedication to skiing. This is one of the privileges that have always been part of the deal. They have sacrificed a good amount to get that privilege don't you think? Also the kid’s parents pay for this. Yup, that corporation thing again. Gotta make money.

Just my opinion and for the record I do not care about the policy. I try to get there 15 to 20 minutes early or see the storm coming and take the day off. :wink:

atkinson
02-26-2009, 07:53 AM
That was me leading those kids and they are the only group on the mountain at that time, by design. The Mountaineering Blazers start earlier than the rest of the groups in order to be able to catch opening chairs at Castlerock or Heaven's Gate or North Lynx.

I heard a great addition to a well-known quote the other day, "No friends on a powder day, no enemies either."

John

p.s. To get back to the original question, several of the kids said it was the best day of the year.

smootharc
02-26-2009, 08:48 AM
I was there with my boys in line when John and the Blazer pack came down downspout into the ski school line. 94% friendly heckling, 6% sour-puss grumbling. Do I imagine that the 6% pretty much grumble at home, at work, at the mini-mart, etc. Just an educated guess....and perhaps I'm wrong.

Anyways, we "lost" about 5 chairs to the group, and were about 25th chair up. And.....amazingly....we skied untracked the entire way down. The herd had thundered hither and yon. We slipped into the seams in between. A little creative thinking was all it took.

The parents of those kids paid very, very well for that time-saving privilege. The members of the adult lesson groups and solos do so also. I can understand the dissenting opinions on the issue expressed above, and respectfully disagree.

And I'm just funnin' with my non-scientific sour-puss grumbling calculations, assumptions, & accusations.... :wink:

gone.skiing
02-26-2009, 09:29 AM
That was me leading those kids and they are the only group on the mountain at that time, by design. The Mountaineering Blazers start earlier than the rest of the groups in order to be able to catch opening chairs at Castlerock or Heaven's Gate or North Lynx.

What makes them different from other Adventure Blazer groups? I would imagine all kids would like to leave the meeting spot in time to catch first chairs up higher

HowieT2
02-26-2009, 09:38 AM

What makes them different from other Adventure Blazer groups? I would imagine all kids would like to leave the meeting spot in time to catch first chairs up higher

The mountaineering blazers meet and leave before the other groups, I think.

Having 2 kids in blazers I have no problem with them getting line cutting privileges. The issue on saturday was that there was the usual powder day large group waiting for the HG to start, when John and the kids came down. There is 'nothing more frustrating than waiting for a lift to load on a day like that. It's just envy which melts away as soon as you get into the freshies. Either way, we caught up to John and crew in Paradise and it was one of the sweetest runs of my life. The snow was so deep I couldn't even see one of the little ones. He was just a cloud of powder

ridelikeme
02-26-2009, 11:07 AM
some of you say that if you want an early chair, you need to get there earlier....

how early do you have to be there to not get cut by the blazer group on a powder day? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Talk about entitlement, this poor dude was on the road at 3:45 in the a.m., gets to the mountain early, waits at the HG chair and then gets snaked by John and his brood. Who is the one behaving like they are entitled? The guy on the road at 345 in the morning, waiting 20+ minutes for HG to spin or the "Johnny come lately brood."

Some of you say 5 chairs is no big deal, it works both ways. If it is no big deal for the guy waiting for the chair to spin, why is it such a big deal for the blazers to burn that line of people?

In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal. What it is, is disrespect for everyone around you waiting. THe lack of respect is what the big deal is.

Blazers want first chairs, get their a$$es up that hill earlier to get in line like the rest of the cattle. Change the program so that the kids get dropped off earlier and get up the hill earlier, then its legit, no cutting necessary.

gone.skiing
02-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Blazers want first chairs, get their a$$es up that hill earlier to get in line like the rest of the cattle. Change the program so that the kids get dropped off earlier and get up the hill earlier, then its legit, no cutting necessary.

I would sign up for that. We end up bailing on the program on powder days because of 9:15 drop off. Logistically it maybe hard to organize the early drop on powder days, but coming back down at 9:15 when you should be at HG or CR at 8:40 makes no sense.

HowieT2
02-26-2009, 11:25 AM
some of you say that if you want an early chair, you need to get there earlier....

how early do you have to be there to not get cut by the blazer group on a powder day? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Talk about entitlement, this poor dude was on the road at 3:45 in the a.m., gets to the mountain early, waits at the HG chair and then gets snaked by John and his brood. Who is the one behaving like they are entitled? The guy on the road at 345 in the morning, waiting 20+ minutes for HG to spin or the "Johnny come lately brood."

Some of you say 5 chairs is no big deal, it works both ways. If it is no big deal for the guy waiting for the chair to spin, why is it such a big deal for the blazers to burn that line of people?

In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal. What it is, is disrespect for everyone around you waiting. THe lack of respect is what the big deal is.

Like I said, there isn't anything more frustrating than waiting for a chair to load on a powder day. But to put it in perspective, the blazer group including John took 3 chairs, so that added about 30 seconds or so to the wait.

and don't cry for Boze, we got the 4th chair on the super bravo at 8, and plenty of fresh off the HG.

Hawk
02-26-2009, 12:10 PM

Respect? What does this have to do with respect? This sounds more like sour grapes to me. Actually this is policy that has been in order for as long as I have been skiing. What makes this generation of entitled skiers any better than the past.
You ask how early do you need to get there? Well the last storm I did 2 runs on SB and then went straight to HG at 8:30. I was second chair behind Wolfy as usual. From that position the Ski School could not get in front of me.

If it means that much to ski the trails ahead of everybody I suggest the following:
Join Black Diamond
Join Bushpilots
Get a private lesson
Hit the Lincoln Limo
Quit your current job and get a job in the ski school
BUY A CLAYBROOK UNIT

I tell you what, I was in that line behind Boze and Howie about 10 or 15 chairs. I skied 3 runs before moving on and all 3 were totally untracked. There is plenty for everybody.

ridelikeme
02-26-2009, 12:37 PM

Respect? What does this have to do with respect? This sounds more like sour grapes to me. Actually this is policy that has been in order for as long as I have been skiing. What makes this generation of entitled skiers any better than the past.
You ask how early do you need to get there? Well the last storm I did 2 runs on SB and then went straight to HG at 8:30. I was second chair behind Wolfy as usual. From that position the Ski School could not get in front of me.

If it means that much to ski the trails ahead of everybody I suggest the following:
Join Black Diamond
Join Bushpilots
Get a private lesson
Hit the Lincoln Limo
Quit your current job and get a job in the ski school
BUY A CLAYBROOK UNIT

I tell you what, I was in that line behind Boze and Howie about 10 or 15 chairs. I skied 3 runs before moving on and all 3 were totally untracked. There is plenty for everybody.

sour grapes my ass broseph....I get more runs in before lifts turn on my own 2 feet than most can scrub all day, so no need to throw out that tired b.s. at me. Now, I can see from the fact you quoted part of my post, that you can read. How is your comprehension? We'll try again. If it is such a non issue for you or I, (the general public) to get snaked 4 or 5 chairs. Why is it such a big deal for someone who came to the party late to hit the end of the line and wait their turn. I am referring only to waiting for the chair to turn, not regular operation during the balance of the day. I fully get that the brood's parents paid to have them in a program to learn and time not turning is time not learning. Again, start the program EARLIER, get the crew to the lift EARLIER and there is no issue. What ENTITLES you to cut me, when I have been waiting here for the chair for 20 minutes? If it is such a big deal for the blazers to have 1st tracks, get there earlier. What if the crew asked you to move back from the spot you held so they could squeeze you out and slide in front of you? How bout this, next powder day, while you're holding fast to your spot at HG and the blazer crew comes down, you move back and let them cut you, I mean it's no big deal right, and you were only there at the front of the line waiting for 10-20 minutes cause it's no big deal right. If it's no big deal, why wait for the chair to spin at all? Just roll in 10 minutes after it starts spinning. I mean, it's no big deal, right?

I fully get that there is enough mountain for all of us and that there are plenty of tracks left to get, it is the principal that you think it is cool to get there late and say screw everyone else, I want to go up FIRST. That is bs.

freeheel_skier
02-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Hey, I once threw a persons skis out of line on a powder day. The dude left his skis to save his spot in line.....was gone for about 15min. Lift was loading ooops! :oops:

Also....how can you complain on a powder day???? C'mon! :roll: A stellar pow day!!! Geesshh! After the 1st chair all is forgotten... :wink:

Hawk
02-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Your right Freeheel. How can you complain? I guess it was the constant complaining about trivial things on this site that got me going. Ridelikeme is obviously worked up about this. I should know beter. Actually he sounds very similar to someone on another thread. :roll:

I will say this, I could give a rats ass less about it. I would think that with all the boastful talk that he has something to prove or has a chip on his shoulder. But actually he's chewing gum. :wink:

Yard Sale
02-26-2009, 01:17 PM
I could give a rats ass less about it.

+1. 63" of fresh! Don't worry, ski happy.

HowieT2
02-26-2009, 01:59 PM
While we are on the topic, I have a question about powder day lift line etiquette. Is it acceptable to get on line before the lift starts loading and then have others join you a few minutes later? I boot up with my son in the GH lodge and he usually takes a little longer to get up to the lift.

FWIW-while I was in the line waiting for the SB to start this weekend, two older folk, weaseled their way two chairs ahead of me while I was standing around.

Sugaree
02-26-2009, 02:20 PM
John A is getting kids excited about skiing by taking them up early to ski some powder. These kids are the future of our sport. They will go home and gloat to their family and friends. They will remember those runs for the rest of their lives. I was on line at the Bravo chair, when John and his posse jumped on. I was psyched for them, and recognized the wonderful opportunity that these KIDS were given by a mountain that cares about kids and gives them opportunities that no other mountain does. This is one of the things that makes SB so special (that and the other trails I can't talk about?!?).

freeheel_skier
02-26-2009, 02:23 PM
While we are on the topic, I have a question about powder day lift line etiquette. Is it acceptable to get on line before the lift starts loading and then have others join you a few minutes later? I boot up with my son in the GH lodge and he usually takes a little longer to get up to the lift.

FWIW-while I was in the line waiting for the SB to start this weekend, two older folk, weaseled their way two chairs ahead of me while I was standing around.

Now howie respect your elders! :P

I wouldn't really have a problem with someone "saving a spot" on a chair for someone else. It's kind of like holding a seat @ the bar for your buddy who is habitually late.

Europe is another story. There is no etiquette. Totally insane!

ridelikeme
02-26-2009, 02:47 PM
Your right Freeheel. How can you complain? I guess it was the constant complaining about trivial things on this site that got me going. Ridelikeme is obviously worked up about this. I should know beter. Actually he sounds very similar to someone on another thread. :roll:

I will say this, I could give a rats ass less about it. I would think that with all the boastful talk that he has something to prove or has a chip on his shoulder. But actually he's chewing gum. :wink:

It would be great if people here could have opinions that differ from the kool aid drinkers and not get flamed or called names, but I digress.

I actually have nothing to prove, especialy to you. So you gonna answer my questions or flame away?

Also, you think those people giving "friendly ribbing" to the blazer crew really didn't care they were being snaked? You really think it was in fun? Sip some more kool aid.

Again, reading comprehension, not that big of a deal to me that I'm gonna go on a 50 page rampage and bring this to every half assed ski forum in America to have 60 blowhards like yourself flame me. It is about mutual respect, period.

So again, put your money where your mouth is, step back from your precious #1 spot in line and let the crew cut you on a powder day.

HowieT2
02-26-2009, 03:06 PM

It would be great if people here could have opinions that differ from the kool aid drinkers and not get flamed or called names, but I digress.

I actually have nothing to prove, especialy to you. So you gonna answer my questions or flame away?

Also, you think those people giving "friendly ribbing" to the blazer crew really didn't care they were being snaked? You really think it was in fun? Sip some more kool aid.

Again, reading comprehension, not that big of a deal to me that I'm gonna go on a 50 page rampage and bring this to every half assed ski forum in America to have 60 blowhards like yourself flame me. It is about mutual respect, period.

So again, put your money where your mouth is, step back from your precious #1 spot in line and let the crew cut you on a powder day.

With all due respect, if you review the posts, it seems to me you started the flaming. Bottom line is, this issue has been discussed, ad nauseum, in another thread recently and previously in multiple other threads. reasonable people can disagree

ridelikeme
02-26-2009, 03:18 PM

With all due respect, if you review the posts, it seems to me you started the flaming. Bottom line is, this issue has been discussed, ad nauseum, in another thread recently and previously in multiple other threads. reasonable people can disagree

Howie this was my first post on this topic, please tell me where I flamed anyone.....

" Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:07 am

how early do you have to be there to not get cut by the blazer group on a powder day?

Blazers want first chairs, get their a$$es up that hill earlier to get in line like the rest of the cattle. Change the program so that the kids get dropped off earlier and get up the hill earlier, then its legit, no cutting necessary."

meanwhile, hawk says I have "sour grapes," or "something to prove" f that, bro. I just have an opinion that differs from the sheeple

atkinson
02-26-2009, 03:44 PM
I hesitate to add any fuel to this, but some clarification is needed.

Every time you step into line at Bravo, Gate House, HG, NL, GMX, NR, Summit, or the I, there is potential that somebody will use the ALC line. This has been the policy for as long as I can remember. Heckling kids on a powder day is not going to change this policy. Complaining about it on SkiMRV probably won't get it changed either. Win is the one to talk to, as has been noted before.

This is not about entitlement either, these kids' parents pay extra for a privilege. BTW, some of these kids got up very early to make the commute too.

And if you think these other understanding folks are sheeple, you don't really know us very well.

John

HowieT2
02-26-2009, 03:50 PM

Howie this was my first post on this topic, please tell me where I flamed anyone.....

" Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:07 am

how early do you have to be there to not get cut by the blazer group on a powder day?

Blazers want first chairs, get their a$$es up that hill earlier to get in line like the rest of the cattle. Change the program so that the kids get dropped off earlier and get up the hill earlier, then its legit, no cutting necessary."

meanwhile, hawk says I have "sour grapes," or "something to prove" f that, bro. I just have an opinion that differs from the sheeple

Your first post was not offensive. It was your second.
sour grapes my ass broseph....I get more runs in before lifts turn on my own 2 feet than most can scrub all day, so no need to throw out that tired b.s. at me. Now, I can see from the fact you quoted part of my post, that you can read. How is your comprehension? We'll try again.

That to me, is flaming and the "sour grapes" comment was not. No biggie, but just because we differ (notice, I didn't say disagree), doesn't warrant calling us sheep.

ridelikeme
02-26-2009, 04:03 PM

Every time you step into line at Bravo, Gate House, HG, NL, GMX, NR, Summit, or the I, there is potential that somebody will use the ALC line. This has been the policy for as long as I can remember. Heckling kids or coaches about it on a powder day is not going to change this policy. Complaining about it on SkiMRV probably won't get it changed either. Win is the one to talk to, as has been noted before.

John

I will state this ONE LAST TIME....it is not about being upset that someone paying for lessons is getting the most out of their instructor, it is about a line of people standing there and getting snaked while waiting for the chair to open. End of story. Just like the rest of us, if you want the goods, get there early. It is bothersome that my crew gets there early to wait, doing the right thing and another crew rolls in, long after we have been there and slips in the front of the line. Sorry, it just smells bad.
Cut the line all day long with the younguns, I get it. It just sux standing there for 20+ minutes, performing your due dilligence to get to the chair early and then get snaked going to the summit.
No "sour grapes" nothing "to prove." Just a person who is considerate of others when on the hill and expects the same in return.

gone.skiing
02-26-2009, 04:12 PM

Every time you step into line at Bravo, Gate House, HG, NL, GMX, NR, Summit, or the I, there is potential that somebody will use the ALC line. This has been the policy for as long as I can remember. Heckling kids on a powder day is not going to change this policy. Complaining about it on SkiMRV probably won't get it changed either. Win is the one to talk to, as has been noted before.

This is not about entitlement either, these kids' parents pay extra for a privilege. BTW, some of these kids got up very early to make the commute too.

And if you think these other understanding folks are sheeple, you don't really know us very well.

John

How about early meeting times on powder days to be at HG/CR by 8:30? If that is not feasible cut lines at the Bravo/Gate House until 9:30 and then go to CR/HG?

Why does only Mountaineering Blazers group get the early up on HG? What about the rest of adventure blazers?

ridelikeme
02-26-2009, 04:13 PM
[quote="ridelikeme"][quote="HowieT2"][quote="ridelikeme"][quote=Hawk]

That to me, is flaming and the "sour grapes" comment was not. No biggie, but just because we differ (notice, I didn't say disagree), doesn't warrant calling us sheep.

tomato, tomaato. Sour grapes comment due to my "differing opinion" is offensive to me. There is no sour grapes due to the turns I earn on the regular. When stating that as defense to the "sour grapes,' then I had "something to prove," according to hawk. Quite honestly, when so many come out vehemently against a differing view, it makes the many look like sheeple. Defend everything done at the Bush at any cost. Don't let the low post count fool you into thinking that I haven't lurked this board for a very long time. I generally withold comment due to the attitudes towards the differing opinions.

HowieT2
02-26-2009, 04:36 PM

Every time you step into line at Bravo, Gate House, HG, NL, GMX, NR, Summit, or the I, there is potential that somebody will use the ALC line. This has been the policy for as long as I can remember. Heckling kids or coaches about it on a powder day is not going to change this policy. Complaining about it on SkiMRV probably won't get it changed either. Win is the one to talk to, as has been noted before.

John

I will state this ONE LAST TIME....it is not about being upset that someone paying for lessons is getting the most out of their instructor, it is about a line of people standing there and getting snaked while waiting for the chair to open. End of story. Just like the rest of us, if you want the goods, get there early. It is bothersome that my crew gets there early to wait, doing the right thing and another crew rolls in, long after we have been there and slips in the front of the line. Sorry, it just smells bad.
Cut the line all day long with the younguns, I get it. It just sux standing there for 20+ minutes, performing your due dilligence to get to the chair early and then get snaked going to the summit.
No "sour grapes" nothing "to prove." Just a person who is considerate of others when on the hill and expects the same in return.

You are not being "snaked". The rules permit the blazers to go in front. They aren't being inconsiderate either, they are just following the rules. You may have a legitimate gripe with the rule, but not with those who are following same.
Whatever, we should just have such problems this weekend. Think snow

Hawk
02-26-2009, 05:02 PM

You have a right to your opinion and that was not a flame. I just think your being a baby about it and that is my opinion.
The other thing is I don't understand this thing about letting them in front of me. If they get in front of me fine. If I beat them to the punch fine.
I don't drink coolaid I drink vodka or Long Tail. As for being a blowhard, I don't think so. I just don't care and people in front of me don't effect my experience. I guess I am just a glass half full kind of person. I don't get upset at people just because they get up the mountain in front of me. They, whoever they are, are not going where I am going. This is evidenced by the amount of untracked I got. That is all.

arc1
02-26-2009, 08:25 PM
They, whoever they are, are not going where I am going. This is evidenced by the amount of untracked I got. That is all.[/quote]

That's beautiful.....

atkinson
02-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Back to the original intention of this thread ... to share your fun from this week.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/vol51_img16.JPG
Palette cleanser.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/vol51_img15.JPG
Mount Ellen magic.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/vol51_img19.JPG
Yesterday at Gate House.

John

p.s. Mountaineering Blazers meet earlier than Adventure Blazers because they are the most dedicated kids we've got. They go 6.5-7 hours a day, often with no indoor time, skinning for turns and exploration every weekend, even through that long cold spell, training for the Mad River Sugarbush Rando Race and preparing for days like Saturday all season long. They carry their own gear, all on tele or AT, and respect the challenges of the mountains. They are the best team out there. They've got incredible coaches, namely Rick Hale and Brian Daigle, with OEC medical training carrying full packs and sharing extensive backcountry and on-piste experiences. I've filled in and so has Coach Doug Shick, who is also an EMT-I and PSIA Level 3. Even the Bush Pilots are a little jealous of this crew, so I can understand how others might be envious.

shadyjay
02-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Noone is allowed on any lift until we get the okay from dispatch. Prior to opening, we'll give our upper mtn ops and ski patrol first chairs. On select days, Win leads a group of first trackers... if they are not accompanied by him, its 'no go'. At 9, we get the call to open if everything is ok. As for HG, same deal - only patrol and the top op of HG is permitted up, prior to 9. Not sure the exact situation over at North, but I do hear over the radio that GMX opens early for coaches.

On weekdays, there is no designated ski school line... that's only on weekends. If I'm doing crowd control or checking tickets, I occasionally see general public in a ski school line, but its usually one here, one there, and primarily at GH - for those looking to save the walk-around.

Powder Puff
02-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Considering I spent this weekend watching the snow hobbling around on crutches, I would just have been happy to take a run regardless of who was in front of me in line. :cry:

... Just enjoy your day and keep it in perspective.

madhavok
02-27-2009, 07:02 AM
I know it is the policy that ALC get to cut the line but I’d like to see them use this privilege in a classy and respectful manner. Personally I don’t think cutting people who have been waiting 20 – 25 minutes for fresh tracks is either classy or respectful.