PDA

View Full Version : Conditions and outlook

jwt
02-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Missed this weekend - hard pack? Woods? North still soft?

Snow looks pretty good for end of week.

Any experiences are appreciated.

HowieT2
02-16-2009, 07:14 AM
Missed this weekend - hard pack? Woods? North still soft?

Snow looks pretty good for end of week.

Any experiences are appreciated.

Conditions have been surprisingly good. Been back in the woods and they are fine.

vonski
02-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Thank you, Howie. I won't be up til Wednesday night. Glad to hear that things aren't bad.

noski
02-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Conditions have been surprisingly good. Been back in the woods and they are fine.

Just remember this phrase, Henny Penny, the next time you start wringing your hands down there fretting about the weather.... ;-)

BHL
02-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Jeez JWT, you coulda asked your buds. Hardpack on the groomers. Many blue spots. Lotsa nice dry snow on the leeward sides of FIS, Black Diamond. Exterm was awesome. Upper elevation trees (T-Mblep, 'Term, Bravo) are good but the usual lines (Egan's, Lew's) are pretty worked. Lower elevation trees are sketchy. The Rock was bony but deep trees you-know-where are holdin' up. Nice lines to be had on the edges of 'Dise, Spillville. All in all a good sunny weekend.

ski_resort_observer
02-17-2009, 03:24 AM
Thank you, Howie. I won't be up til Wednesday night. Glad to hear that things aren't bad.

Hopefully, Thursday will be a powder day. :D

HowieT2
02-17-2009, 08:07 AM

Hopefully, Thursday will be a powder day. :D

I hope you're right but I'm not encouraged by what I read this morning. Doing the snow dance.

noski
02-17-2009, 08:35 AM
I hope you're right but I'm not encouraged by what I read this morning. Doing the snow dance.

Henny Penny! Henny Penny! It is going to be a good solid snowfall, not so fluffy it blows away and not so wet it is like cement. Faith, my friend!

HowieT2
02-17-2009, 09:16 AM

Henny Penny! Henny Penny! It is going to be a good solid snowfall, not so fluffy it blows away and not so wet it is like cement. Faith, my friend!

The question is whether to spend the $ for the lincoln limo. Looks like no for thursday.

noski
02-17-2009, 09:22 AM
The question is whether to spend the $ for the lincoln limo. Looks like no for thursday. If it were me, I would ..... 6"+ beginning Weds late day, overnight. Snow showers off and on all day Thursday. Some snow will be wet mix Thursday, but should all bond really well and make for a fine day on the hill, just ask Atkinson!

John Walden
02-17-2009, 09:30 AM
To jwt:

Conditions were surprising good considering the rain they had last week. Skiied LP on Saturday. The only trail I found we had some difficulty with was Upper Organgrinder. Very firm and slick. Skiied ME on Monday, it was alot colder than ME; cldy.

Bumps overall were quite firm everywhere unless you got into the woods; like Paradise.

The lifts were acting up all day on Saturday. Starting and stopping. They did have a problem with GH lift Saturday morning at the top un-loading.

Overall; pretty good long weekend.

noski
02-17-2009, 10:27 AM
This just in from WeatheringHeights.com:

NO ISSUES THRU MID DAY WEDNESDAY. POTENT STORM SYSTEM APPROACHING THE REGION BRING MYRIAD OF WEATHER TYPES INCLUDING GRADIENT WINDS, SHORT DURATION MIXED PRECIP - RAIN, AND VERY WEAK THREAT WET SNOW LOADING. STORM SNOW DURATION WILL BE LONG INTO FRIDAY….Potent storm system to track from lower Great Lakes and perhaps through Vermont mid to late week. Latest model runs continue a push of warmer air out ahead of the system while tracking into Southeast Ontario near Toronto midnight tomorrow night. Northern extent of above-freezing air could make it into northern VT. Low pressure re-organizes over central Maine with a changeover to all snow Thursday afternoon. Lots of moving targets including valley rain/elevation dependent snow…suggesting wet snow to water ratios near 10:1 - 8:1 across intermediate hills of especially northern/eastern VT. Snowfall generally longer duration and slow build up at light-occasionally moderate intensity.GRADIENT WINDS – Wednesday afternoon through early Thursday AM appear to be the most concern. Downward vertical motion indicated with 40 to 50 mph low level jet is a prescription for down-sloping accelerating strong gusty southeast winds mostly likely along western slopes and adjacent valleys of western VT.. Threat assessment weak but could be upgraded. Alert status early tomorrow…END/RH

jwt
02-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks H/2, JW,

BHL, I'd ask you , but like me, if you weren't there, then OF COURSE it was great ( because YOU weren't there!) These are the monster reports I've created in the ski house. Kinda like the kid who cried POWDER - then when you REALLY SHOUDA BEEN HERE - none of you guys believe me. My fault.

And hey, maybe I was just a little envious of the 1st ever ski house dinner applause you got for the skirt steak last w/e??

Either way, the 'Hole and the Wasatch await! . . . let's not get hurt before then. Until then, cement or damp or dry, if it's white, it's right!

See you Friday night!

win
02-17-2009, 03:51 PM
You must remember that on a busy holiday weekend many people have trouble getting on and off lifts and that cause the lift o be stopped to pick people up or help them into a chair. This is especially true of Gate House where there are a lot of younger children riding the lift.

Plowboy
02-17-2009, 08:14 PM
You must remember that on a busy holiday weekend many people have trouble getting on and off lifts and that cause the lift o be stopped to pick people up or help them into a chair. This is especially true of Gate House where there are a lot of younger children riding the lift.

Win, have you thought about installing a lift conveyor like the one @ Okemo on Gatehouse? It was on NESN the other other night. I thought it looked like a great idea.

HowieT2
02-17-2009, 08:57 PM
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH FOR THE NORTHERN ADIRONDACKS OF NEW YORK AND EAST OF
THE GREEN MOUNTAINS OF VERMONT...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY
AFTERNOON THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 8
INCHES ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE ADIRONDACKS OF NEW YORK AND EASTERN
GREEN MOUNTAINS OF VERMONT BY THURSDAY EVENING.

SNOW WILL BEGIN ACROSS NORTHERN NEW YORK ON WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON
AND RAPIDLY SPREAD EAST ACROSS VERMONT BY WEDNESDAY EVENING. SNOW
WILL MIX WITH RAIN ACROSS THE LOWER ELEVATIONS OF NEW YORK AND
VERMONT BY THURSDAY MORNING AS WARMER AIR MOVES INTO THE AREA.

Yard Sale
02-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Josh Fox:

1-2 feet with the first inches being dense and the last being fluff
Snow from this long-talked about storm will begin Wednesday evening in between 5 and 9 PM. There has been some disagreement concerning at which time the snow will be heaviest. There is some loose agreement as of Tuesday afternoon to place the heaviest snow in this initial period during the early morning hours Thursday just prior to first tracks time. This will ensure a healthy accumulation of 5-10 inches for you Thursday skiers. Since this storm is passing so close to the mountain, there will be an area of sinking motion that could potentially end the snowfall for a time Thursday or at least reduce the intensity for a while. Such areas of sinking motion tend to transition through in time and this will be no exception. The pool of instability mentioned in the opening paragraph will create the welcomed situation where snow showers congregate around the mountain and this should begin late in the day Thursday and persist through much of the day Friday and into early Saturday. So on top of the relatively dense 6-12 inches of powder that falls prior to Thursday morning, we can expect an additional 4-8 of snow Thursday night into Friday and an additional 2-4 inches by Saturday morning. Terrain induced snow means that prognostications are subject to big errors in snow totals but the math adds up to a range of 1 to 2 feet and I will stick to that as a guess for now.
:D :D :D :D :D . . . Oh, we're dancing.

shadyjay
02-17-2009, 10:06 PM

Win, have you thought about installing a lift conveyor like the one @ Okemo on Gatehouse? It was on NESN the other other night. I thought it looked like a great idea.

That conveyor they have at Okemo is on their fixed grip base quads.
The issue at Gate House was a ramp we rebuilt. Issues resulted earlier from the ramps being too high from too much snow, causing a big unloading issue up top. As we have learned, just throwing snow on the ramp doesn't solve the issue and ice must be chipped away and the whole ramp rebuilt. Sunday morning we rebuilt the whole thing from scratch, with ~ 6-8 of us working to chip down to the wood and then rebuilding from the ground up. As part-operator of the GH on Sunday we were noticing the added assistance required to getting some on the chair as many had gotten used to the high-ness of the ramp.

Meanwhile.... the latest conditions update on the hill.... the later in the day you ride/ski, the more challenging conditions you'll find, as far as surfaces go. My pre-operating run on Downspout was great and so was my ~9:30 run down Upper Jester, but my 3:30 run down the same trails was much different. At that late hour, keep to the right for the most carvable snow. I heard reports of Ripcord being "very fast". This is all to be expected with the amount of traffic the trails are getting due to it being vacation week. I'm hoping for a nice snowstorm around Sunday night or Monday or Tuesday next week ( :lol: ) but I'll take whatever we can get now :D - we all will!

John Walden
02-18-2009, 07:24 AM
shadyjay:

GH was an issue with the ramp on Saturday morning , but once you guys figured it out, telling people "please stand up quickly" seemed to cure it. Keep up the good work on the hill. And Win; you are always there checking out everything.

HowieT2
02-18-2009, 04:39 PM
It has begun. Light so far.

Last Tracks
02-19-2009, 07:33 AM
i checked the snow report at 6:30 this morning and sugarbush was reporting 3" of new snow. then, 30 minutes later the report has been updated to 5-8". and now 15 minutes after this the snow report says 8". i didn't realize that measuring snowfall was so hard. too bad for me b/c i had to make my decision at 6:30.

jwt
02-19-2009, 08:34 AM
Thanks all,

Wondering how many people will come up from this report that may have not otherwise or gone somewhere else? Like the mountain and community, we have the best forum in the East!

MRG reports 4-6" and falling thru Sunday.

The Lord has certainly blessed us! 1 to 2 feet potential. If it's white, it's right.

Hawk
02-19-2009, 09:41 AM
i checked the snow report at 6:30 this morning and sugarbush was reporting 3" of new snow. then, 30 minutes later the report has been updated to 5-8". and now 15 minutes after this the snow report says 8". i didn't realize that measuring snowfall was so hard. too bad for me b/c i had to make my decision at 6:30.

3" is what was at the base when the reporter walked into work. 5" was the amount at Allyn's that Patrol reported. 8" was the amount at the top that Patrol reported. This is the way the reports come in almost every storm but I never listen to them.

Come on. You seem savvy enough not to listen to the published reports anyway. Just make a plan and go to the mountain. It is almost always better than you can imagine. :wink:

Lostone
02-19-2009, 01:13 PM
I don't know how much we got... but I'm certainly tired! :D

win
02-19-2009, 01:45 PM
I took eight people up in the Lincoln Limo at 7am and there was a good 6" at least at the top of North Lynx. Four great powder runs down. The texture of the snow is perfect and tonight's snow will be drier as it will be colder. Tomorrow and the weekend should be one of the nicest of the year, and the woods will be ready for everyone.

Last Tracks
02-19-2009, 02:11 PM
3" is what was at the base when the reporter walked into work. 5" was the amount at Allyn's that Patrol reported. 8" was the amount at the top that Patrol reported. This is the way the reports come in almost every storm but I never listen to them.

Is this really how it works?

Yard Sale
02-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Some Sugartube video of that limo ride sure would get the juices going. Not that I'm not already pretty juiced for this weekend, but I do like that Sugartube.

Hawk
02-19-2009, 02:50 PM

Is this really how it works?

The point I was trying to make is don't call up and listen to the 6:30 report. The lifts are not spinning yet so they don't know what it's like on top. If you hear that it snowed then go!

And yes that is how it works...... :wink:

HowieT2
02-19-2009, 04:11 PM
there was 4-5" at my place when i left for the mtn at 7:20. Definitely 6-8" when i hit OG. it was sweet. dense but not too heavy or wet. perfect base in the woods. ended the day with a great run through slidebrook.

doing the dance for some light powder tonight.

noski
02-19-2009, 04:24 PM
there was 4-5" at my place when i left for the mtn at 7:20. Definitely 6-8" when i hit OG. it was sweet. dense but not too heavy or wet. perfect base in the woods. ended the day with a great run through slidebrook.

See...? SEE...?? ;-)

Hawk
02-19-2009, 04:28 PM

Nice work Howie. Now go get'em..... :wink:

win
02-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Check out the front page of the web - bottom left box - and you will see some shots from this morning! We are going out again tomorrow, so if you have an interest call the front desk of Clay Brook this evening. 583-6822. As of 4:54pm there are spots available. Mention you want the Lincoln Limo first tracks. We gather in Tmbers by 6:45am and load at 7am. Tomorrow I plan to go back up to North Lynx. If the ability is ok a nd the interest is there, I might take the last run into SB.

HowieT2
02-19-2009, 07:19 PM

See...? SEE...?? ;-)

I had no doubt today would be great, but I think tomorrow will be better. Me like the light fluffy stuff.

muddy_hollow
02-20-2009, 01:40 PM
We drove up last night and ran into a pretty steady snowfall around Rochester, which made for a fun ride up through the gulf. This morning we were all up and at Bravo by 8:10 and there was a pretty steady flow of people coming down the hill. Conditions were outstanding! My 8 year old daughter and I skied Steins, which was the best this year.

Today has to be the best conditions yet this season and the family is at the slopes..... NOW I have to work!!!!!!!! :(

win
02-20-2009, 01:51 PM
The forecast looks like a little more tonight, more Saturday night and then a potential bigger storm on Sunday. Check out "Win's Word" for some photos.

I agree that today had the best conditions (especially in the woods - Treeskier showed me a line I hadn't skied before) of the year, and it will be getting even better over the next few days. We are going to groom some trails we rarely groom to set them up for this snow and make everything sweet the season to last through April and into May if possible.

You'd Better be Here this weekend and next week!

HowieT2
02-20-2009, 08:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nta-kWNMys

First tracks this morning. no description necessary except that there was even more powder up top.

HowieT2
02-20-2009, 08:48 PM
http://www.postimage.org/Pq2GANA0.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq2GANA0)

Lostone
02-20-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm not hearing many people saying it is good out there. :?

I'm hearing "Great", "Awesome" and "Never better"! :wink:

Of course, I always reply to the last that it has been better... but it is pretty darn good, now! 8)

This one-two punch was just what we needed. Some heavy stuff to cover the base, and then some fluff to play in. And more fluff just keeps coming! :D

Keep them cards and letters coming in, folks! :wink:

sgottmann
02-21-2009, 06:53 AM
I'm not hearing many people saying it is good out there. :?

I'm hearing "Great", "Awesome" and "Never better"! :wink:

Of course, I always reply to the last that it has been better... but it is pretty darn good, now! 8)

This one-two punch was just what we needed. Some heavy stuff to cover the base, and then some fluff to play in. And more fluff just keeps coming! :D

Keep them cards and letters coming in, folks! :wink:

I picked the wrong weekend to miss the Bush. 33 inches and still coming down. Looks like a Noreaster to finish it off. Enjoy it and please post some photos.

Strat
02-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Where is 16 inches in the last 24 hours coming from? There's nothing on the radar!

needtrees
02-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Where is 16 inches in the last 24 hours coming from? There's nothing on the radar!

Upslope...or Orographic lift. Nope, not much to see on the radar.

Lostone
02-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Flurries and showers. That's all it was. I saw the forecast. Flurries and showers.

How can my body be so sore from flurries and showers? :?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :wink: