PDA

View Full Version : SB 7-8 Impressions

SKIQUATTRO
02-10-2009, 08:43 AM
this was my 3rd trip to SB, my wifes 1st..we skiied MRG Friday with fantastic condions (sunny 28 degrees, no one there) the way skiing should be

LP was a mess on Sat (mostly due to windholds and mechanical issues as per lifties) since SB wasnt running we grabbed a 1030a shuttle to ME, what a ride..standing room only, hot, some of the standing folks fell onto the sitting folks with skiis flying as the driver was driving like a mad man. SB needs to run more shuttles on weekends esp when SB isnt running.

Had a great day at ME, good terrain, good food up at mid station, no lines....went back to LP on Sunday in marginal conditions (not at all the fault of SB, thats Mother Nature) I witnessed 5 wipe outs on the wooden stairs from the parking lot to the base area (1 including my wife)...wet, worn down wood..can anyone say SLICK?? bad design there, looks nice, but its a major hazard. The boot bag/gear area on the lower level would be an appopriate size for a mountain the size of Magic, not Sugarbush...I can only imagine the scene there on a holiday weekend.

Overall we had fun, but a little disappointing....we're not itching to get back anytime soon (if we do it'll be at ME, you can keep the LP area), SB has great terrain, friendly staff but we're not into the glitzy base areas, we like more old school places..(Mount Ellen, Bromley, Smuggs ect) i fear the day when the expansion goes thru and there are even more folks at LP....no thanks.

HowieT2
02-10-2009, 09:33 AM
this was my 3rd trip to SB, my wifes 1st..we skiied MRG Friday with fantastic condions (sunny 28 degrees, no one there) the way skiing should be

LP was a mess on Sat (mostly due to windholds and mechanical issues as per lifties) since SB wasnt running we grabbed a 1030a shuttle to ME, what a ride..standing room only, hot, some of the standing folks fell onto the sitting folks with skiis flying as the driver was driving like a mad man. SB needs to run more shuttles on weekends esp when SB isnt running.

Had a great day at ME, good terrain, good food up at mid station, no lines....went back to LP on Sunday in marginal conditions (not at all the fault of SB, thats Mother Nature) I witnessed 5 wipe outs on the wooden stairs from the parking lot to the base area (1 including my wife)...wet, worn down wood..can anyone say SLICK?? bad design there, looks nice, but its a major hazard. The boot bag/gear area on the lower level would be an appopriate size for a mountain the size of Magic, not Sugarbush...I can only imagine the scene there on a holiday weekend.

Overall we had fun, but a little disappointing....we're not itching to get back anytime soon (if we do it'll be at ME, you can keep the LP area), SB has great terrain, friendly staff but we're not into the glitzy base areas, we like more old school places..(Mount Ellen, Bromley, Smuggs ect) i fear the day when the expansion goes thru and there are even more folks at LP....no thanks.

Isn't it a little disingenuous to complain of the crowding and the condition of the stairs at the ME lodge and say you're not into glitzy base areas.

sgottmann
02-10-2009, 09:51 AM
[quote="HowieT2

Isn't it a little disingenuous to complain of the crowding and the condition of the stairs at the ME lodge and say you're not into glitzy base areas.[/quote]

I think he was talking about the stairs at the base of Lincoln Peak.

QUATTRO -- Saturday was definitely a tough day and not the typical LP experience. Give it another try, especially when the Slide brook lift is running. You will be able to enjoy the great terrain and old school facilities and feel at ME.

summitchallenger
02-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Give it another try, especially when the Slide brook lift is running. You will be able to enjoy the great terrain and old school facilities and feel at ME.

Yes, on those two days when Slidebrook is running. :roll: It's not been a good season for that lift with weather, mechanical, etc.

SKIQUATTRO
02-10-2009, 12:18 PM
(Isn't it a little disingenuous to complain of the crowding and the condition of the stairs at the ME lodge and say you're not into glitzy base areas.)

Not when saftey is a factor, I'm sure the folks at SB want a safe resort that works and i'm sure they are well aware that what works on paper, doestn always work in reality.

i'm not knocking/putting down SB, its a great mountain and they built a beautiful resort to attact more riders and they are doing great, just seems like the expansion (ie: increased attendance) will surpass the infrastucture (lifts) hope they upgrade lifts and trail design to avoid huge disasters (Deathspout)

ME is fantastic...i'd change nothing about it...love it....

TimKeogh
02-10-2009, 12:45 PM
ME is fantastic...i'd change nothing about it...love it....

Agreed.. Be Better at North!!!

Dawn Patrol
02-11-2009, 08:56 AM

Isn't it a little disingenuous to complain of the crowding and the condition of the stairs at the ME lodge and say you're not into glitzy base areas.

Read correctly, he was complaining about the crowding and condition of the stairs at LP, which is a pretty valid point.

shadyjay
02-11-2009, 10:08 AM
The LP lot-to-base stairs were apparently a temporary measure - they will not be there next year in their present form.

Every time I've gone up/down them, I've never seen them slick. I think they've held up pretty good considering how much use/abuse they get.

freeheel_skier
02-11-2009, 11:13 AM
When the stairs have any snow on them they are very slick. I noticed this even with the "green" rock salt being used. I have dumped twice going down the stairs carrying skis. Both times I was wearing ski boots(with vibram rubber soles) carrying skis. Next time I will let the sherpa carry my skis :oops:

Hawk
02-11-2009, 11:39 AM
I skip the stairs, park on the other side of the lot and walk up the road to the left of CB. Usually it's a nice quiet walk with no one around.... :wink:

HowieT2
02-11-2009, 11:49 AM
I never walk the stairs of death in ski boots.

freeheel_skier
02-11-2009, 12:14 PM

I like the stairs of death comment :lol:

Hawk,
I never even considered doing what you suggested!!!!! DOH! :oops:

The stairs are soo done! 8)

Yard Sale
02-11-2009, 12:53 PM
The Stairs of Death aren't too bad as long as you stay in the fall line. The real danger is getting clocked in the noggin by a set of skis on somebody's shoulder. Although, I usually take that Claybrook Road. It's closer to Bravo and closer to the shuttle. I think that truck/trailer skier hauling ginty thingy pulls up there as well. What's that thing called again?

HowieT2
02-11-2009, 01:16 PM
The Stairs of Death aren't too bad as long as you stay in the fall line. The real danger is getting clocked in the noggin by a set of skis on somebody's shoulder. Although, I usually take that Claybrook Road. It's closer to Bravo and closer to the shuttle. I think that truck/trailer skier hauling ginty thingy pulls up there as well. What's that thing called again?

The Sugar Shuttle

Hawk
02-11-2009, 02:38 PM

I like the stairs of death comment :lol:

Hawk,
I never even considered doing what you suggested!!!!! DOH! :oops:

The stairs are soo done! 8)

Right on Dude... 8)

freeheel_skier
02-11-2009, 02:52 PM

I apologize for hitting you with my skis :shock:

Strat
02-11-2009, 06:41 PM
I've never had too much trouble on the Stairs of Doom, as my family likes to call them... then again, snowboard boots are a heckuva lot easier to walk in...
8)
But I also usually go up the road south of Clay Brook, closer to Bravo, less walking...

win
02-11-2009, 09:22 PM
These were temporary stairs and will be used as fire wood next year! If you don't like them this year, you have two options. Take the shuttle or walk around the south side of Clay Brook or take the Village Lift which will give you access to either the GH or Bravo lifts.

Personally, I enjoy the stairs because I feel warmed up and ready when I reach the plaza. (Rumble loves to bound up them too!) If you don't want to walk down them, ski down skier's left of them to the parking lot or walk down the road to the south of CB - Gate House Lane.

Fourwide
02-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Buy a Claybrook unit! 8)

atkinson
02-12-2009, 09:25 AM
I use them multiple times a day for warm-up too, but we want those stairs for mountain bike features, not firewood.

vonski
02-12-2009, 10:45 AM
I use them multiple times a day for warm-up too, but we want those stairs for mountain bike features, not firewood.

I was going to say, firewood, can't the wood be recycled in some manner!!!! They do make a good warm up. I always ski back to the car if I am at South.

Hawk
02-12-2009, 11:01 AM
That wood is pressure treated. I am sure you don't want to burn it. There will be lots of people staggering around in a daze. :?

I'm with John. We need more mountain bike stunts up on the hill.... :wink:

freeheel_skier
02-12-2009, 01:54 PM
I think the boss was exaggerating.

I.E. "I would give my kids gasoline and matches.....anything to keep them quitet" F.S. :shock:

Hawk
02-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Ya I know....I just had this visual of people saggering around the base lodge all buzzed out on arsenic smoke..... :wink:

Reminds me of my high school days..... :shock:

win
02-12-2009, 04:23 PM
"firewood" was figurative! They will be gone is more precise! Maybe Atkinson will take them away. Diggity built them by the way!

Lostone
02-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Diggity built them by the way!

THAT"S what is wrong with them!! :lol:

notorious
02-12-2009, 07:13 PM

I guess you're kidding, and we agree on Rule #2 (There is no limitation on heckling), (if you ned to know the other Rules, ask) but anything done by Diggity is done right. He built the stairs with the materials provided to him, and building the stairway to heaven was a bi**ch. If you think this stairway is agony, try the stairs at $teaux leading to the forerunner quad.

Strat
02-12-2009, 07:22 PM

I guess you're kidding, and we agree on Rule #2 (There is no limitation on heckling), (if you ned to know the other Rules, ask) but anything done by Diggity is done right. He built the stairs with the materials provided to him, and building the stairway to heaven was a bi**ch. If you think this stairway is agony, try the stairs at $teaux leading to the forerunner quad.

Note that the message board code for the emoticon he used is :"lol": (quotes added so it wouldn't turn it into said emoticon). He's just playing around. Though those stairs at Stowe do suck.

Lostone
02-12-2009, 07:29 PM
I guess you're kidding,

That would be why I included the " :lol: " :wink:

Diggity and I are friendly. And for the record, I do lots of trips up and down those stairs and don't find them to be a problem at all. No matter what, going from one level to another requires either stairs, a mechanical lift, of sorts, or a lot of chemicals.

I vote for the stairs. I need the exercise.

And I ski and hike a lot, so if I need the exercise, a lot of the others complaining about them... need them at least as much as I do. :wink:

But as to the above comments, I do watch out for other people's skis. :roll:

shadyjay
02-12-2009, 09:16 PM
I'm usually seen dashing up and down the stairs, too and from work, and if I'm over at Village, its the easiest way to the rest of the mtn from that lonely outpost. Of course I'm wearing snowboard boots which provide quite a bit more flex and ability to climb stairs while I see you skiers struggling. I avoid them at all costs however during the busy hours (8-10a and 3-4p). Weekends I hop the Shuttle... the stairs are a breeze compared to the hike from 22Acres. At least the primary lot to base walk is a lot flatter than the same walk over at ME.... that would definetely get me warmed up.

TimKeogh
02-12-2009, 09:31 PM
If you want lots of cardio getting to the 1st lift, try Okemo!!! More stairs and uphill walking than any other mountain in VT. I also do not think the cement surface is any better/worse than pressure treated lumber, but the crowds and lack of sherpas make it quite an adventure. I've been clocked in the head more than once and it is a wonder I still have both my eyes!