PDA

View Full Version : Slaughterhouse Five

Strat
02-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Did anyone know that Sugarbush is mentioned in Slaughterhouse Five? I'm reading it for the first time and I just stumbled over this in Chapter 2:

Early in 1968, a group of optometrists, with Billy among them, chartered an airplane to fly them from Ilium to an international convention of optometrists in Montreal. The plane crashed on top of Sugarbush Mountain, in Vermont. Everybody was killed but Billy and the copilot. So it goes.

Not exactly the most uplifting passage, but the mention is pretty cool...

HowieT2
02-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Did anyone know that Sugarbush is mentioned in Slaughterhouse Five? I'm reading it for the first time and I just stumbled over this in Chapter 2:

Early in 1968, a group of optometrists, with Billy among them, chartered an airplane to fly them from Ilium to an international convention of optometrists in Montreal. The plane crashed on top of Sugarbush Mountain, in Vermont. Everybody was killed but Billy and the copilot. So it goes.

Not exactly the most uplifting passage, but the mention is pretty cool...

Vennegot is a cornellie too

Sugaree
02-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Vonnegut: A regular at Greek Peak.

HowieT2
02-05-2009, 08:24 PM
I have fond memories of the peak. Nothing better than getting credits for skiing.

boze
02-05-2009, 11:50 PM
I have fond memories of the peak. Nothing better than getting credits for skiing.

.. or windsurfing on Cayuga. Scha-wing! :wink:

Strat
02-06-2009, 12:00 AM
I would be doing the ski/snowboard for credit program, but they make you take lessons now; how beat is that?
Snowshoeing certainly isn't a terrible alternative...

HowieT2
02-06-2009, 07:55 AM
I would be doing the ski/snowboard for credit program, but they make you take lessons now; how beat is that?
Snowshoeing certainly isn't a terrible alternative...

Bummer. I think with us they just took attendance at the bus, but to be honest it was some time ago.

John Walden
02-06-2009, 08:32 AM
I had Kurt Vonnegut as a Literary Masterpieces professor at Cape Cod Community College in 1969. He was quite the hoot then. But then, I didn't even know who he was.

Sugaree
02-07-2009, 10:38 AM
After the inane debate over the Claybrook line, I took a breather from this board. But, in hopes of a John A photo spread (drool) or a weather update to feed the habit, I gave in and found this string. I have to admit that I only skied Greek 1x. That was enough. Sorry Howie. I do not share your fondness for that place, particularly since come "spring time," as part of the Cornell Cycling Team, we would regularly do the "Greek Peak Loop." So, instead, many weekends, I would hop in my VW Golf and head to Burlington, crash at a buddies place at UVM, scrounge lift tickets or a pass, and head to the Bush. Win: whatever "deals" I got back then, I have made up for over the years. In any event, I thought all of you fellow Cornellians would appreciate Vonnegut's obit from the Cornell Daily Sun. http://cornellsun.com/node/22876.

-Monte (Arts and Sciences '90 and Law '93)

Strat
02-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Funny how many Cornellians we have in here. Thanks for the link, Sugaree (and maybe I should add how many Deadheads?)

Sugaree
02-08-2009, 07:33 AM
Barton Hall - May 8, 1977. Unbelievable show. Great Scarlett to Fire on the Mountain. Go here to listen. http://stash.nugs.net/attics/77may_mp3.asp?artist=1&show=214&cmd=shows

Strat
02-08-2009, 11:38 AM
The first 20 seconds of the Estimated Prophet from that show is currently my ringtone. I also have the opening of the Scarlet as well.
My dad was there, haha...