PDA

View Full Version : Stolen skis - Please be on the lookout

atkinson
02-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Hello everyone,

Sorry to interrupt your day. My pair of 2009 187cm Dynastar Legend Pro XXL with black and white Look bindings, plus a pair of Leki adjustable poles, disappeared from the Lincoln Peak base area sometime on Tuesday evening. They are fairly distinctive skis, black and orange with siginificant girth. If you see them or know where they are, I am willing to trade a reward for their safe and timely return, no questions asked.

Please keep an eye out. Thanks!

John

p.s. Yes, these are the same skis that were stolen in Salt Lake City and found again last winter. Not the exact pair, as these are warranty replacements, but still really odd to have the same pair ripped twice. I just think they have wanderlust and want to adventure occasionally without me. Maybe I haven't been skiing them enough this year. ;)

John Walden
02-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Sorry to hear about your skiis. I will have my gang look out for them. We all ski Dynastar Legends. Four of us have Alta stickers on them, one has duct tape intitials on his.

Last Tracks
02-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Has there been an increase in ski thefts this year? I still remember when i was 16 and someone stole the K2 5500's i had saved up all summer for. broke my heart.

HowieT2
02-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Hello everyone,

Sorry to interrupt your day. My pair of 2009 187cm Dynastar Legend Pro XXL with black and white Look bindings, plus a pair of Leki adjustable poles, disappeared from the Lincoln Peak base area sometime on Tuesday evening. They are fairly distinctive skis, black and orange with siginificant girth. If you see them or know where they are, I am willing to trade a reward for their safe and timely return, no questions asked.

Please keep an eye out. Thanks!

John

p.s. Yes, these are the same skis that were stolen in Salt Lake City and found again last winter. Not the exact pair, as these are warranty replacements, but still really odd to have the same pair ripped twice. I just think they have wanderlust and want to adventure occasionally without me. Maybe I haven't been skiing them enough this year. ;)

Someone is messing with you, man. Sorry.

TimKeogh
02-05-2009, 03:41 PM
I wonder too, if ski thefts are more frequent these days....

I have a pair of 2009 Volkls, and I separate them by a few hundred feet when I go into the lodge to throw down a few.

Is that any kind of deterrent? I doubt it. Guess I should get a lock.

smootharc
02-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Jeepers creepers ! And on a tuesday ?

That's some serious bad ski karma for the perp.

Please note the guy (me) in the EXACT same boards...ain't the perp.

atkinson
02-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Give'em up smoothie. I know you stole'em. ;)

John

jwt
02-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Lojack the next ones you purchase - then, you can have some real fun with the perps. As for separating skis, I had a client 20 years ago, take her new skis - 180's and her husbands new skis - 205's ( remember, this was the 80's) and excahnged them at Waterrville Valley because they were brand spankin new.

Perps don't sit there and measure or check - the had both pairs ruined because perp took one of each.

Remember those chips built into K-2's about 10 years ago? They gotta be able to attach Lo-jack to them.

Keep an eye on craigslist ( Boston/Worcester/Burlington) Ebay, etc.

John Walden
02-05-2009, 04:51 PM
We always separate them; but on a Tuesday there's not many pairs around . I would of thought JA would have a GPS chip on them. Maybe someone should come up with a Lojack system for skiis. Scratch that; bad idea.

jwt
02-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Just thinking like a thief, if I am wanting the highest value, I'm going to watch the racks, see who is separating the skis and where they are putting them , then follow them inside to see what the time frame is - a pee stop or a sit down dinner/rest.

Then make the move veeeerry casually, ski equipment on and googles down, with a hat on.

Just wondering if cameras are actually out there - I assume not. They are cheap these days, just had 5 installed with a monster hard drive for under $1500 in my place of business.

Watch that craigslist! This really sucks because I leave the door open at the house, I leave my keys in the car ( never loose them this way) and I leave the lights off. Can happen to anyone, anywhere I guess.

Get a pit bull maybe?

atkinson
02-05-2009, 08:51 PM
I don't think there is a growing problem with thieving. The skis were there for a long while, before some took them (not that this explains away the fact that were still taken.) They may still show up with an innocent story too. You never know.

John

HowieT2
02-05-2009, 09:02 PM
My skis are so done, they will cost more to repair than they are worth. I don't have to worry about them being stolen. I'm just trying to milk them 'till the end of the season.

smootharc
02-06-2009, 08:04 AM

John

....just wish I could turn 'em. Worst skis I've ever owned. Squirrelly, weaselly, noodley. No sidecut, unturnable, bad in pow, worse in crud, no edge hold, and a misery in the bumps. Don't even get me going on their suckiness in the trees. I just can't seem to stop skiing them everyday...even though I have a sizeable quiver. Hmmm. I just hate those things !

For those who don't know what these ridonculous beasts look like....here they are. Keep an eye out...let's find them and administer an Ullr approved beat down to the perp.

http://www.postimage.org/Pq1pakvi.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1pakvi)

Last Tracks
02-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Legend Pro XXL - the official ski of sugarbush.

HowieT2
02-06-2009, 09:01 AM

John

....just wish I could turn 'em. Worst skis I've ever owned. Squirrelly, weaselly, noodley. No sidecut, unturnable, bad in pow, worse in crud, no edge hold, and a misery in the bumps. Don't even get me going on their suckiness in the trees. I just can't seem to stop skiing them everyday...even though I have a sizeable quiver. Hmmm. I just hate those things !

For those who don't know what these ridonculous beasts look like....here they are. Keep an eye out...let's find them and administer an Ullr approved beat down to the perp.

http://www.postimage.org/Pq1pakvi.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1pakvi)

You're joking about the the skis sucking, right?
I'm in the market so I just want t5o make sure.

smootharc
02-06-2009, 09:10 AM

John

You're joking about the the skis sucking, right?
I'm in the market so I just want t5o make sure.

Yes, absolutely joking about them boards. Absolutely love 'em. From Sugarbush to Valdez, they are my all time favorites.

Bought them on a leap of faith, as their numbers (sidecut, turning radius, etc.) just don't add up. Well, numbers are just ink on a page. On mountain....another very sweet story.

If I was told I could never own another ski in my life except these (refreshed as needed, of course).....I'd be one very happy camper.