PDA

View Full Version : Driving advice, Friday night, also some food shopping advice

urban07sti
02-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Hey all, I'm driving up from Boston Friday night. Roads should be pretty clear, just wondering what people think is the best route? I've done it a few ways, either getting off early on 89 and going more backroads versus longer on 89. I don't get up to the Bush enough to really know the best routes. Thanks!

shadyjay
02-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Coming up at night especially during the winter, your best bet is probably 89 to Exit 9, then 100B to 100 South. You could get off at Exit 3 and go 107W to 100N, but a large portion of that route is no-man's land. If something happens, your cell phone (if you have one) won't work for most of the way and there isn't much to see. Plus, services are few and far between. After Rochester, its 20 miles or so of "absolutely nothing" until you hit the MRV.

Then there are always the "mountain roads" such as Roxbury Gap, etc, but I'd advise against them, especially if you're not familiar with the area. Driving past the secondary roads to work, many of them are still quite snow covered and most likely ice.

Whatever way you choose, be safe and enjoy the weekend!

Lostone
02-02-2009, 09:31 PM
I like the second one mentioned, getting off Exit 3. I don't mind not being in Cell phone range, as 99% of the time I drove that way, I never had a cell phone, and 100% of the time, I didn't use it.

Like Jay, I'd suggest avoiding the shortcuts, (Bethel Mtn, Roxbury gap) for a first run, at night.

Like Jay, I'd say have a great weekend. :wink:

John Walden
02-03-2009, 07:42 AM
I have been traveling to Sugarbush for 25 plus years from the Boston area. We generally take 89 to 107-100 thru Bethel, Rochester, Hancock,Granville. Avoid Bethel Mt. if roads are tricky. The stretch of 89 from Bethel to Moretown can be very treachous at night . For example, I had friends up for the weekend who did go all the way to Moretown exit and hit snow squalls . They saw 12 car pile up on 89 Friday night.

You mentioned no cell service in the forest. That's true, but there are enough skiiers heading to the mountain that can offer help. I have given some skiiers rides that have had car trouble over the years.

urban07sti
02-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the advice! I'll probably do the exit 3 way, as I've done that route before a times. Not familar with the Roxbury gap or any of those shortcuts, but maybe try those on a trip in daylight, I'll be driving up later at night...thanks all!

Hopefully running into you guys skiing.

tomthumb
02-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Another little shortcut for the Exit 3 route is Blackmer Blvd. As you're heading West on 107, you'll pass an elementary school, I believe the next right turn is Blackmer Blvd. It will bring you out to the blinking light at the Ford dealership on RT 100. It's easier to learn going home. Heading South on RT 100, when you get to the blinking light at the Ford dealership, go straight instead of following RT 100 to the right. Once you've done it once, it's a no brainer.

John Walden
02-03-2009, 09:58 AM
tomthumb:

Yes, I forgot that shortcut. We do all time so I forgot to mention it. It also helps that the Town Garage is on that road so it's gets sanded first. Peavine's is a good stop over for burgers and beers.

urban07sti
02-03-2009, 08:10 PM
So driving up Friday as I said before...are there any grocery stores open late? I forget last time I was there up where I can stop to grab some chicken, meat, etc... for cooking. I'm hoping to get stuff late Friday night but it'll be after 9 PM. I'll be going the Exit 3 route I believe. Thanks again!

shadyjay
02-03-2009, 08:17 PM
There is one shopping facility on the Exit 3 route that I know of and that's Mac's in Rochester - but not a full supermarket. Hit up the last exit on I-89 in NH before VT (Exit 20 IIRC) and there's a Shaw's there - tax free.

jwt
02-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Urban,

Get yer meat before the Valley if you are there after 9 PM, Shaws I believe closes at 9 PM, Mehurons, my favorite, the same time. Exit 9 in NH, Warner, has a grocery store at exit ( left off ramp) or Lebanon has stores, but I wouldn't wait until 9 PM or after , unless you are cooking the next night and can wait til Mehurons Sat apres ski.

If it is not snowing, and roads are dry ,the best time you'll make is exit 9 , 100B to 100s 14 miles to Waitsfield. Back roads,100 from the south are nice, but not time efficient. . .and then there are the sheriffs prowling around. . . . . . . just be aware.

Roxbury Gap is the nicest, most direct route once familiar with the area, dirt ( read: safer generally in snow and ice conditions) steep, and real Vermont.

It won't work with GSP - it kept telling my guests to 'TURN AROUND NOW, MAKE A U-TURN!. . . . . . but real men don't need directions, right?

The skiing is great right about now too! Have a great time.

noski
02-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Urban,

Get yer meat before the Valley if you are there after 9 PM, Shaws I believe closes at 9 PM, Mehurons, my favorite, the same time. Exit 9 in NH, Warner, has a grocery store at exit ( left off ramp) or Lebanon has stores, but I wouldn't wait until 9 PM or after , unless you are cooking the next night and can wait til Mehurons Sat apres ski.

This is good advice. There is also Mad Taskers who can get some food supplies for you ,stock the fridge, turn on heat, etc. if you are going to a house/condo.

ski_resort_observer
02-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Urban,

Mehurons is open till 8PM, 6PM on Sundays. Maps still work really well for driving directions.

For a consistent driving time going with I89 to the Middlesex exit is the way to go. It is more miles but the diference timewise between driving on a divided highway vs Vermont State/County roads can be huge. Going by way of Roxbury Gap or even worse the Bethel/Stockbridge/Rochester route via Rt 107 route all it takes is a few slow drivers and your driving time will greatly increase as there are few safe places to pass although passing on a double line is legal in Vermont. Your basically throwing the dice on those routes. With the Bethel/Rochester via Rt 107 route you drive alot of miles going southwest when you want to be driving north. The Bethel Mountain Rd is all paved so if the roads are in good shape that route is better than the longer Rt 107 route IMHO.

BHL
02-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Mr. Urban:

Regarding groceries, do you want quality or price? Shaw's in Lebanon NH is as cheap as they come. But Mehuron's in Waitsfield (or is it Irasvile? Whatever.) is by far the best quality for meat, poultry and produce. Nice folks, too. Not like Shaw's. Worth something to me.

As far as driving . . . it's like this: 89 to exit 9 at Moretown and 100B south to 100 is a green. 89 to Bethel stay on 107 to 100 north is a blue. 89 to Bethel to 107 to 12 briefly to Bethel Mountain Road (a left just past the "narrow bridge" sign . . . my pick 'cuz it's paved and plowed) is a black. 89 to Bethel to 12 to Randolph and 12A to the infamous Roxbury Gap is a double-diamond . . . you really need a guide! Sheesh, feel like I'm giving away a tree stash or something! Drive safely and happy cooking!

Yard Sale
02-03-2009, 10:51 PM
A couple of weeks ago about 10 pm as I was on my final approach to the top of Roxbury Gap I could see over the rise some irratic headlights swaying side to side like someone had put a lighthouse up there. Sure enough, as I came over the rise there was a bat signal like spot lite coming out of the woods to the left. Some guy somehow had put his pick up truck down about a twenty foot drop off the road backwards. It was almost standing vertical on its rear bumper. Luckily the truck and the guy appeared to be virtually undamaged.

I've lead several people over the gap in vehicles behind me for their maiden voyage the general consensus is that first timers or people who aren't used to winter/mountain driving get a little freaked out. Once you get used to it its just part of the trip. I think it'd be wise to take a dry run during the day. Otherwise, my plan B is Bethel Mountain Road.

Dawn Patrol
02-04-2009, 11:58 AM
The Roxbury Gap is definitely the fastest way.

Depending on how much food you need, I recommend bringing the bulk of your supplies up so you don't have to make a trip to Waitsfield, little things can be bought at Paradise Deli or the Warren Store.

Driving advice: In the name of all that is good and holy, keep right except to pass..... [I'm looking at you guys with MA, NY or CT plates, VT'ers seem to have this one down....]

smootharc
02-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Driving advice: In the name of all that is good and holy, keep right except to pass..... [I'm looking at you guys with MA, NY or CT plates, VT'ers seem to have this one down....]

..."Dawn da Troll" if you keep it up. Everyone knows the "don't keep righters" aren't guys...they are all gals with NJ plates. Get your facts straight !

Yard Sale
02-04-2009, 12:36 PM
The Roxbury Gap is definitely the fastest way.

Not that it's relevant to anything other than DP's out of stater hater advice, but this guy in the truck VT Plates.

rfm
02-04-2009, 12:50 PM
It"s been my experience that you really have to decide the route based on current driving conditions. I89 can become a skating rink especially when it has just started to snow. I heard last Friday Night there were 8 Flatbeds out picking up the cars that left the road between Exits 4 & 5. I think one was a Trooper's Car that was hit by another car that was traveling way too fast in the left lane.

The Exit 3 route even though longer and quite possibly slower due to slow moving traffic is IMHO safer

If the weather's clear Exit 5 to the Gap is the best.

urban07sti
02-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Wow, great responses. Thanks all. I'll check out the routes...I do have a great snow car (AWD Subaru) and am experienced in witner driving, but I would like to do the gap route when it's light out....

Thanks again for all the advice. Hopefully see you out there....white helmet, prolly red shell, pair of Line Prophets, name is Joe. Pumped to get back up there. I was there for a pow day a few weeks ago, it was great.

madhavok
02-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Just an FYI, Bethel Mountain Rd has plenty of good frost heaves, probably not the most comfortable ride.

John Walden
02-04-2009, 03:19 PM
I agree with rhm's point about the driving conditions dictate what route to take. I try and avoid I-89 after Bethel as it seems that Friday nights are brutal with skiiers driving way too fast and not realizing that that stretch of road can get slippery and black ice real quick.

I have had some success with the Roxbury Gap, but more times than not , I skip it. Once I had to rescue a couple (with a cat , too) who flipped their SUV over and skidded half way down the other side. Last year, I had to turn around as there were many cars off the road. That is really irritating as you have to backtrack.

Bethel Mt. gets very large frost heaves late in the winter so be careful.

You only save about 10-12 minutes going over Bethel Mt.

About 20 minutes with Lincoln Gap.

Watch out for the moose in Granville Gulf; they will always win.

HowieT2
02-04-2009, 03:41 PM
I agree with rhm's point about the driving conditions dictate what route to take. I try and avoid I-89 after Bethel as it seems that Friday nights are brutal with skiiers driving way too fast and not realizing that that stretch of road can get slippery and black ice real quick.

I have had some success with the Roxbury Gap, but more times than not , I skip it. Once I had to rescue a couple (with a cat , too) who flipped their SUV over and skidded half way down the other side. Last year, I had to turn around as there were many cars off the road. That is really irritating as you have to backtrack.

Bethel Mt. gets very large frost heaves late in the winter so be careful.

I always watch for moose but have never seen one. Seriously, I think I may be only one who has never seen a real moose. I even camped out for 4 days in the granville gulf without a moose in sight. They're very stealthy, to me. My sister was bitten by a moose........

John Walden
02-04-2009, 03:45 PM
They tend to hang out by the marsh in the forest. I have seen two in the past 8 months. Do you remember the one at the Sports Center a few years ago? It came right up to my ramp in Sugarbush Village; it had to be 8 feet tall and ugly! How does one get bitten by a moose?????????

skierdon
02-04-2009, 03:55 PM
We almost ran into the moose that resides in the woods at MRG between Chute and Fall Line. We were 5 feet away as it starred us down, so we backed up mighty quick and got out of there.

If you really want to see a moose, give it a few runs and you will likely run into him, maybe even literally.

HowieT2
02-04-2009, 03:59 PM
They tend to hang out by the marsh in the forest. I have seen two in the past 8 months. Do you remember the one at the Sports Center a few years ago? It came right up to my ramp in Sugarbush Village; it had to be 8 feet tall and ugly! How does one get bitten by a moose?????????

No, really. She was carving her initials into his hide with an interstellar toothbrush

That was a little joke for those fans of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

chuck
02-04-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm up from Jersey every weekend, my house is off Camp Brook Road (Bethel Mt. Road), been driving this road for 30 yrs, since it's been paved all the way up and over, both towns do a pretty good job of keeping it clean and clear. An awd will have no problem heading up and over. Just be careful past Sargents drive doesn't get much sun, quite slick, and slow down way before the stop sign on the Rochester side, can't tell you how many folks i've yanked out of the snow bank. Mac's has good cuts of meat, but i think they close around 7. The bethel central market has awesome cuts of meat, and fresh fish deliveries on thursdays.

smootharc
02-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Watched one get hammered by the vehicle coming toward us on Route 73...about a mile West of Brandon Gap. They are definitely big and fuzzy and black like ink at night.

Mostly see them during summer, but have seen the one hit and another standing in road during winter weekend commutes.

vonski
02-04-2009, 06:56 PM
The Mad River Glen website has pictures of the moose on Fall line. Pretty cool!

tomthumb
02-04-2009, 07:04 PM
It"s been my experience that you really have to decide the route based on current driving conditions. I89 can become a skating rink especially when it has just started to snow. I heard last Friday Night there were 8 Flatbeds out picking up the cars that left the road between Exits 4 & 5. I think one was a Trooper's Car that was hit by another car that was traveling way too fast in the left lane.

The Exit 3 route even though longer and quite possibly slower due to slow moving traffic is IMHO safer

If the weather's clear Exit 5 to the Gap is the best.

Totally agree rfm. RT 100 may take a bit longer (if you encounter slower traffic). While 89 is an Interstate, people drive way too fast in less than ideal conditions. Often the mentality is that people think that because they have AWD or 4WD, they've got more control. However, most of the vehicles you see off the road are those same AWD/4WD's. Why? . . . All Season Tires. I'm getting way off topic here . . . but, make sure you've got good SNOW TIRES folks. Cheap insurance. A set of snow tires is probably about the same as your insurance deductable. . .

aejkb
02-04-2009, 07:06 PM
The most important part of the Friday drive from Boston is the time of departure and the route taken to 89. Excluding weather issues, if you can't leave by 3pm, you are better off leaving after dinner. If you can, take route 3 instead of 93, which can be a killer.

djd66
02-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Depending on how much food you need, I recommend bringing the bulk of your supplies up so you don't have to make a trip to Waitsfield, little things can be bought at Paradise Deli or the Warren Store..]

Yeah, and if you can, get in the 10 items or less line - other wise know as the cutter line! :lol:

Dawn Patrol
02-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Depending on how much food you need, I recommend bringing the bulk of your supplies up so you don't have to make a trip to Waitsfield, little things can be bought at Paradise Deli or the Warren Store..]

Yeah, and if you can, get in the 10 items or less line - other wise know as the cutter line! :lol:

You do realize that the 10 items or less line is perhaps the worst argument for the claycutter line yes? The only analogy you could really make is 1/2 day tickets get to cut the line, they bought less, so they can cut... That really doesn't apply in any way to the clay cutter policy..... Whatev....

Go Figure
02-05-2009, 07:20 AM

You do realize that the 10 items or less line is perhaps the worst argument for the claycutter line yes? The only analogy you could really make is 1/2 day tickets get to cut the line, they bought less, so they can cut... That really doesn't apply in any way to the clay cutter policy..... Whatev....

Dawnie STFU and just go skiing.

HowieT2
02-05-2009, 07:28 AM

Dawnie STFU and just go skiing.

It was bad enough in the other thread but now it's like a cancer metastasizing.

djd66
02-05-2009, 07:58 AM
"You do realize that the 10 items or less line is perhaps the worst argument for the claycutter line yes?"

"Your poor grammar is bothering me...

http://www.learn-english-online.org/

Edit: If you're learning ESL, I apologize...."

There is another site you may want to check out:
https://www.find-a-therapist.com/

I hope this helps.

urban07sti
02-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Yea, I agree on people being too confident in snow when in fact they are not well prepared...my Subaru has a nice set of Blizzak snow tires, real tires with the "official snowflake" on the rubber itself. Plus I have a pretty good set of Brembo brakes on it.

John Walden
02-05-2009, 08:36 AM
I thought the claycutter thread was dead. Some people just don't get it. This thread was about driving to Sugarbush.

ski_resort_observer
02-05-2009, 08:38 AM
None of the grocery stores in the valley have a "10 items or less" checkout.

boze
02-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Many yrs of driving up from CT, I've had best success with 89 exit 3...Bethel Mtn Road. Rox Gap is fine but 15+ miles longer. Bethel Mtn is the hypotenuse, if you will. Not to mention its very well maintained, ice heeves aside, though blowing snow can be an issue. But if Bethel Mtn Rd is in rough shape, Rox Gap would almost certainly be in worse shape. And come Spingtime it gets very rutted out. You're up & down a couple times on Bethel Mtn Rd but no where near the pitch on Rox Gap. And 100 is pretty well maintained from Granville North to Warren for the final 12 miles. Pretty too.

noski
02-05-2009, 08:49 AM
...Bethel Mt. gets very large frost heaves late in the winter so be careful.

I know you meant Roxbury Gap, but just in case someone actually thinks they would like explore the Lincoln Gap option in winter....don't! Guaranteed it won't save you 20 minutes. ;) In fact, we probably won't find you until Spring....

Plowboy
02-05-2009, 09:13 AM
TOM TOM......Tom Tom......................tom tom............................................... .................................................. ..?

Yard Sale
02-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Many yrs of driving up from CT, I've had best success with 89 exit 3...Bethel Mtn Road. Rox Gap is fine but 15+ miles longer. Bethel Mtn is the hypotenuse, if you will. Not to mention its very well maintained, ice heeves aside, though blowing snow can be an issue. But if Bethel Mtn Rd is in rough shape, Rox Gap would almost certainly be in worse shape. And come Spingtime it gets very rutted out. You're up & down a couple times on Bethel Mtn Rd but no where near the pitch on Rox Gap. And 100 is pretty well maintained from Granville North to Warren for the final 12 miles. Pretty too.

Agreed on all points. Except for time. Which I see as the greater enemy over milage.(Certainly now tht gas prices have halved since the summer) I've never timed the diffrence so I honestly don't know. My impression is that Roxbury Gap is quicker time wise due to the additional speed maintained on 89 fform exits 3 to 5. (Even in bad weather, typically you can reduce your highway speed and still cover more ground that you can also slowing down a bit due to weather on the Bethel Mt, 100 route) What do you think, which is quicker? or is it just 6 and 1/2 dozen?

madhavok
02-05-2009, 10:23 AM
djd66 why would you bring the cutter policy up in this thread?

Dawn Patrol
02-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Aww... DJ is upset his comparison was idiotic and completely contrary to the point he was attempting to make.... Poor baby....

I still think the Roxbury Gap is the fastest way, and safe to attempt MOST days. Though giving a route a test run in daylight is never a bad idea.

I almost never ride up to 100b, though my record time to Sugarbush was actually set going that way. Pretty impressive drive if I don't say so myself!

Tin Woodsman
02-05-2009, 10:42 AM
It's pretty clear he was just joking. Not his fault that some people can't help themselves.

madhavok
02-05-2009, 10:59 AM
It's pretty clear he was just joking. Not his fault that some people can't help themselves.

Joking? Was he trying to be funny? Because if so I totally missed that. I did get his antagonization.

Tin Woodsman
02-05-2009, 11:13 AM

Joking? Was he trying to be funny? Because if so I totally missed that. I did get his antagonization.
Let's see - he had a smiley face at the end of his post - typically a sign of a joke, no?

Me thinks you're a wee bit too sensitive.

Lostone
02-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Moderator note:

To all...

Please refrain from personal attacks.

Please refrain from bringing unrelated subjects from other threads.

Please refrain from needing a baby sitter. :roll:

Thanx for your support.

djd66
02-05-2009, 12:11 PM
I was joking, sorry to bring it up in this thread.

But come on you guys, you really have to lighten up!

boze
02-05-2009, 12:44 PM

Agreed on all points. Except for time. Which I see as the greater enemy over milage.(Certainly now tht gas prices have halved since the summer) I've never timed the diffrence so I honestly don't know. My impression is that Roxbury Gap is quicker time wise due to the additional speed maintained on 89 fform exits 3 to 5. (Even in bad weather, typically you can reduce your highway speed and still cover more ground that you can also slowing down a bit due to weather on the Bethel Mt, 100 route) What do you think, which is quicker? or is it just 6 and 1/2 dozen?

Have found Bethel Mtn Rd to be consistently quicker - caveat is that I've only used the Rox Gap for a few round trips, all with no traffic in day time so that's pretty much ideal conditions for trying out Rox. I was expecting to shave at least 10 minutes, ended up costing me 10-15. And, off the record, I scoot on the highway when conditions merit, rarely anyone behind me (at least none without flashing lights!) so I was assuming Rox to be the better option. Of course, YMMV.

John Walden
02-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Noski:

Sorry about that. I did mean Roxbury not Lincoln unless you have a dogsled.

Remember when Bethel Mt. road was dirt? I do. We use to take bets to see which one of us would get stuck. Back then, who cared whether we got to the mountain as long as we made last call at the Blue Tooth.

Boy , are we getting old. No more dirt roads, Blue Tooth, Gallaghers, Mooselips, etc.

chuck
02-05-2009, 03:32 PM
JW - Not only was Bethel Mt. road dirt, but a single lane up at the top! I had a 62 VW beatle, no heater boxes, that made it up and over that mountain for about 10 years. Studded snows, a propane heater, and a dozen beers at the bluetooth, getting frisky in the gondola with the women. Those were the days!!!

John Walden
02-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Chuck;

We used to come up in a Ford Gernade (Granada) and took bets if we were going make it. Who cared back then, if you got 5 runs in on the Gondola, that was a great day. Besides, that's how I met my wife 30 years ago and we are still married and skiing. 32 days so far this season including 8 1/2 days in Utah.

Plowboy
02-07-2009, 09:44 AM
None of the grocery stores in the valley have a "10 items or less" checkout.

The Warren Store has one, it says "EXPRESS LANE" "10 words or less". :lol: