PDA

View Full Version : Snow!

atkinson
01-22-2009, 04:12 PM
In case you have grown bored with SKIMRV Smackdown09, it is snowing and is supposed to continue through Saturday. All these little squalls and flurries are starting to add up and the turns have been great.

I had a meeting with Egan today on Castlerock and Liftline still had some really nice freshies. Although Eric F. from MRG was complaining that our rocks are sharper than theirs. We called him a Whaaaambulance.

Get out there!

John

p.s. No lines anywhere today.

Hawk
01-22-2009, 04:32 PM
In case you have grown bored with SKIMRV Smackdown09, it is snowing and is supposed to continue through Saturday. All these little squalls and flurries are starting to add up and the turns have been great.

I had a meeting with Egan today on Castlerock and Liftline still had some really nice freshies. Although Eric F. from MRG was complaining that our rocks are sharper than theirs. We called him a Whaaaambulance.

Get out there!

John

p.s. No lines anywhere today.

So how much did you get John. Stowe is reporting 6 inches since yesterday. Even a couple would be good.

atkinson
01-22-2009, 04:47 PM
I skied untrammeled spots on Liftline with about 4-5 inches of fresh and more in the woods. Still snowing too.

John

Hawk
01-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Nice! :)

Yard Sale
01-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Roger Hill:

MID WEEK SNOW A storm system will track a bit farther than many system but still push a well developed precip shield (all snow) into the region arriving before day break Wednesday and perhaps lingering into Wednesday night. Ball park - 5 to 10" with more in the mountains of central and southern Vermont where the snow will be heaviest.

This should fill some things in nicely. I won't be there midweek, but hopefully can pick up some scraps on Saturday. Enjoy. . .

freeheel_skier
01-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Roger Hill:

MID WEEK SNOW A storm system will track a bit farther than many system but still push a well developed precip shield (all snow) into the region arriving before day break Wednesday and perhaps lingering into Wednesday night. Ball park - 5 to 10" with more in the mountains of central and southern Vermont where the snow will be heaviest.

This should fill some things in nicely. I won't be there midweek, but hopefully can pick up some scraps on Saturday. Enjoy. . .

AMEN! This will be good 8)

John Walden
01-26-2009, 12:49 PM
They need some wet snow after this weekend. Wow, had some folks up from Virginia; pretty good sports both Sat. and Sun. We had Mt. Ellen all to ourselves on Sunday, wonder why?

HowieT2
01-26-2009, 03:13 PM
...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH
LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH
LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD VERMONT AND NORTHERN NEW YORK LATE TUESDAY
NIGHT. THE SNOW MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES ON WEDNESDAY...AND THEN
TAPER OFF WEDNESDAY NIGHT. SNOW AMOUNTS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES ARE
POSSIBLE WITH THIS STORM...WITH THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS EXPECTED OVER
CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN VERMONT.

Strat
01-26-2009, 03:52 PM
I might need to start my Return to VT countdown again...

John Walden
01-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Damn it; work is getting in way again this week! Should be able to sneak up early for the weekend maybe.

Yard Sale
01-26-2009, 08:25 PM
Josh Fox:

Monday, January 26, 2009

Wednesday storm looks stronger, and farther north and this means MRG is ground zero for big time powder !!!
It is yet another twist of fate in the world of weather that draws comparisons to Valentine's day of 2007 but not on as grand of a scale I am sorry to say. Still it is very significant and this storm now appears as if it will be one of the bigger events of the season to date and will turn Wednesday and Thursday into two of the more memorable days on the mountain.

So what is happening ? Our Wednesday storm is just beginning to draw moisture from the juicy Gulf of Mexico as I write and although the upper level support for this storm will be lacking for a while, it will phase with northern stream energy a bit more efficiently verses some of the indications from a few days ago. By the time it reaches the Atlantic coast it evolve into a storm that is slightly better than simply garden variety. Another important development is the track of this storm. Just days ago, a few of the medium range models showed our Wednesday storm to be a total miss for interior New England but the phasing that I mentioned above often means a northward turn and it also means a broader moist conveyor and precipitation shield. The result, to put it as plain as day, Mad River Glen will be one of the best locations for snow from this event and those words go down as easy as one of those fancy expresso drinks on a bitterly cold day.

10-20 inches and some additional details
In terms of timing, the storm will advance through Tennessee late in the day Tuesday and spread precipitation into Vermont between 2 and 7 am Wednesday. Snow will intensify as the morning continues and fall at an occasionally heavy rate into the evening as the storm intensifies as it approaches Boston, making use of the natural baroclincity that the Atlantic Ocean provides. The snow should continue into early Thursday morning before tapering to flurries and snow showers. All told, we can conservatively expect 10-20 inches from this event with fresh powder on Wednesday and Thursday. Weaker disturbances Friday and Saturday bring the possibility of some additional lighter accumulations but take advantage of that mid-week MRG rate if you can because 39 bucks on a powder day at MRG is steal even in this economy.
Posted by Joshua Fox at 1:45 PM 0 comments

sgottmann
01-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Roger Hill:

I am liking the sounds of this even better (FROM Mad River's website):

The snow should continue into early Thursday morning before tapering to flurries and snow showers. All told, we can conservatively expect 10-20 inches from this event with fresh powder on Wednesday and Thursday.

Beaten to it by previous post but still lovin it.

shadyjay
01-26-2009, 10:26 PM
When I show up at the mtn on my days off, some think I'm crazy... but when I show up this Wed or Thu I'll be crazy all right... crazy for some powdah turns!!!

I'll be doin' my snow dance up on North Lynx tomorrow!

HowieT2
01-27-2009, 04:45 PM
I don't know about you guys but I'm really getting pumped. I don't think I'm going to chance it and drive through the storm wed. night but thursday definitely. I love when they keep upping the estimates.

atkinson
01-27-2009, 05:26 PM
http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/vol48_img011.JPG
Today on the Warren Glacier. No cut and paste either.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/vol48_img004.JPG
Not bad for a week+ since the last storm.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/medium/vol48_img008.JPG
Yo!

Big one coming. Adrenaline surging. Go!

Strat
01-27-2009, 09:17 PM
More fantastic stuff, John. When's the new Stoke Exchange coming out? Not like we're not getting our fill here...

http://webdeveloper.com/animations/holiday/christmas/gifs/snow.gif

Yard Sale
01-28-2009, 07:21 AM
Today: Snow, mainly after 10am. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 22. Southeast wind between 5 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of8 to 12 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow, mainly before 1am. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 14. Light wind becoming west between 10 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of4 to 8 inches possible.

All work and no play makes Yard Sale a dull boy! All work and no play makes Yard Sale a dull boy! All work and no play makes Yard Sale a dull boy! All work and no play makes Yard Sale a dull boy! All work and no play makes Yard Sale a dull boy! All work and no play makes Yard Sale a dull boy! All work and no play makes Yard Sale a dull boy! All work and no play makes Yard Sale a dull boy! All work and no play makes Yard Sale a dull boy! All work and no play makes Yard Sale a dull boy! All work and no play makes Yard Sale a dull boy! All work and no play makes Yard Sale a dull boy! All work and no play makes Yard Sale a dull boy! All work and no play makes Yard Sale a dull boy! All work and no play makes Yard Sale a dull boy! All work and no play makes Yard Sale a dull boy! All work and no play makes Yard Sale a dull boy! All work and no play makes Yard Sale a dull boy! All work and no play makes Yard Sale a dull boy! All work and no play makes Yard Sale a dull boy!

noski
01-28-2009, 09:01 AM
See YS play. Play, YS, play.

as an edit/aside: did anyone else grow up learning to read with Dick, Jane, Sally, Spot and Puff?

boze
01-28-2009, 09:14 AM
When I show up at the mtn on my days off, some think I'm crazy... but when I show up this Wed or Thu I'll be crazy all right... crazy for some powdah turns!!!

I'll be doin' my snow dance up on North Lynx tomorrow!

I can confirm that Shadyjay was snow-dancing atop the N. Lynx Monday. Has the pleasure of meeting him while I was waiting to re-group w/ other friends. Super attitude. I for one thank him for coaxing this storm to S'Bush's front door.

And Slidebrook should be all set incl down low if this puppy pumps out what it's projected to do. :wink:

shadyjay
01-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Snow dances on the top of North Lynx are my specialty - glad I can be of service to one and all!

Enjoy the snow today... I'll be there tomorrow "off the grid".... need at least one day away a week 8)

atkinson
01-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Totally and completely dumping at Sugarbush right now. Feel free to argue about it, if it makes you feel better. I'm going skiing!

John

vonski
01-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Dumping is not the word. I can't even see the single chair on the Madriver Glen website and it is not snow on the lens just white out.. I wish I was there! But this weekend should be sweet as well, Can't wait to get there!!! :D

John Walden
01-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Stop it right now; I am jealous. It's raining here in Beantown. I think that Powder Flu is starting to affect me tomorrow sometime.

vonski
01-28-2009, 03:03 PM
raining in CT as well, but that means it is perfect as rain in souther NE and snow snow and more snow up north. Snow dancing all night long!!!!!

Hawk
01-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Today looks like it's shaping up nicely and tomorrow Looks epic ! Make sure to take a few pictures to tease us..... :wink:
This weekend is going to be one big adventure. I have a few places to check up on. 8)

FYI - it appears that the weather-heads are already talking about another storm next Tuesday. So if you had prior obligations for this one start planning now for the next one. :wink:

HowieT2
01-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Today looks like it's shaping up nicely and tomorrow Looks epic ! Make sure to take a few pictures to tease us..... :wink:
This weekend is going to be one big adventure. I have a few places to check up on. 8)

FYI - it appears that the weather-heads are already talking about another storm next Tuesday. So if you had prior obligations for this one start planning now for the next one. :wink:

Seriously, it's about time we get a report and or photos from those lucky enough to be at or near the mountain. and yes, tuesday looks interesting again.

chuck
01-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Pictures would be greatly appreciated for us flatlanders , who would like to ski vicariously until we can arrive friday evening!

shadyjay
01-28-2009, 04:14 PM
Pictures would be greatly appreciated for us flatlanders , who would like to ski vicariously until we can arrive friday evening!

Look for my pics up tomorrow evening, after a (hopefully!) great powder day tomorrow.

HowieT2
01-28-2009, 04:14 PM
The radar shows mixed precip up into southern VT. Lets hope it stays there.

HowieT2
01-28-2009, 05:20 PM
radar showing mixing into Rutland. Please someone tell me what it is doing up there. I'm getting nervous.

klop
01-28-2009, 05:29 PM
radar showing mixing into Rutland. Please someone tell me what it is doing up there. I'm getting nervous.

TV in Burlington predicts 1-2 inches of snow per hour till midnight. Still snowing heavily in the Champlain valley

skigal
01-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Sugarbush home page has video clip of Egan's Powder Alert

shadyjay
01-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Still snowing heavily here in Waterbury, some 13 miles north of the 'Bush. I wouldn't worry about any mix coming up this far, or up to SB.

Lostone
01-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Still snowing.

Kinda a lot, too. http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album38/icon_snow.gif

No pix from me. I worked today. Poor me! :cry:

Of course I did get in a couple runs, here and there. . . so not as bad as some work days. :wink:

HowieT2
01-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Thank you all. I can sleep well tonight.

Plowboy
01-29-2009, 12:01 AM
:lol: :lol: :!:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i273/MX51/IMG_1554.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i273/MX51/IMG_1556.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i273/MX51/IMG_1551.jpg

boze
01-29-2009, 12:58 AM
sweetness...sickness
that 3rd shot is a stoke and a half
thx plowboy

ps-if i recall correctly might these be taken in an area similar to past shots, something at a moderate elevation (or rather, not at the bottom of MRV)? man am i jealous of those able to hit it tomorrow. i'll try not to be too jealous.

Plowboy
01-29-2009, 07:13 AM
sweetness...sickness
that 3rd shot is a stoke and a half
thx plowboy

ps-if i recall correctly might these be taken in an area similar to past shots, something at a moderate elevation (or rather, not at the bottom of MRV)? man am i jealous of those able to hit it tomorrow. i'll try not to be too jealous.

Top 2 are Sugarbush Village, the bottom is halfway up the Dump Rd. That was at about 4:30-5:00pm, snowed till about midnite. 16hrs in the truck, 6 more to go.

shadyjay
01-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Random shot out to the plows everywhere... excellent job!
Driving in this morning from Waterbury to the 'Bush... much of the travel lanes was visible. A little dry pavement too. Was expecting the worst, and got a very nice treat! And this was 'round 8:30am. Kudos to those who were up all night assuring we had a safe drive in.

Yard Sale
02-05-2009, 11:30 PM
This weekend will be nice, but the long range for the long weekend starting to look interesting.

Josh Fox:

President's Day weekend looks active at an early glance
I will also stick with the notion that the date of February 12th will mark the start of more active weather which should continue into the weekend of the 14th and 15th. This would mean a second or follow-up storm within a day or two of February 15th. President's day skiing thus as a lot of potential and a very early look at President's week appears to have promise but it is a long way off.

Yard Sale
02-11-2009, 11:13 AM
So, the bad news: The thaw is upon us and with it some precrystaline precip.

A little good news: reports are that this event may finish with 2-4 inches of snow by Friday morning.

So, I'm curious as to what will the Mtn Ops strategy be to address the ungroomed snow surfaces? Do they agressivley groom over typically seldom if ever touched bumped areas like Castlerock Run, once everything freezes up again so they are set up for future snow falls to rebump? Or do they take a more conservative approach and let the freeze and skier/rider traffic do the work?

I know much of this depends on the outcome, but I'm curious.

PS I'm possibly headining up Thursday night. Will we find soft bumps or ice bumps on friday.

PSS josh Fox indicates that it is reasonable to be optomistic for later in the Pres/Vaca week.

Thoughts anyone?

freeheel_skier
02-11-2009, 11:16 AM
So, I'm curious as to what will the Mtn Ops strategy be to address the ungroomed snow surfaces? Do they agressivley groom over typically seldom if ever touched bumped areas like Castlerock Run

Blasphemous!!!!!! You may catch some heat :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yard Sale
02-11-2009, 11:25 AM
So, I'm curious as to what will the Mtn Ops strategy be to address the ungroomed snow surfaces? Do they agressivley groom over typically seldom if ever touched bumped areas like Castlerock Run

I understand. And for even uttering the thought, the heat I deserve. "Yard Sale you idiot" There i said it. :oops: But it has happened before. :shock: I'm not advocating that they do this unthinkable thing. I,m just sayin. . . ? :D

BTW If this doesn't provoke a rant from BMM then he really is gone.

Hawk
02-11-2009, 11:33 AM

My guess would be no grooming of natural snow terrain. I don't know if you noticed but before this event there were a good amount of rocks, grass and dirt showing through the cover in places. I don't think there is enough cover to aggessively groom but who knows. I personally am not a fan of grooming natural snow trails. It always ends up turning into a sheet of ice once the cats hit them.

noski
02-11-2009, 11:40 AM
So, the bad news: The thaw is upon us and with it some precrystaline precip.

Here, at least the skies are partly cloudy and no precip of any kind. I know it is probably eventually going to get here, but not yet.

HowieT2
02-11-2009, 11:47 AM
If my recollection is correct, faced with a similar scenario last season, they groomed CR.

Whatever, the bottom line is we need to get this crappy weather (here in the flatlands of NYC everyone is rejoicing-fools) out and get some some snow