PDA

View Full Version : Will Slide Brook Express Run AT ALL This Season?

summitchallenger
01-17-2009, 03:39 PM
So we heard that it was to open on Christmas, and then we got an ice storm (OK...understandable). And then it was 1/1. And then it was this weekend...temps and snowcover permitting....and now ????????????

Last weekend the chairs were still off on Ellen side. No work has been done on it. Whenever it has been mentioned in here, folks have said, "take the bus." But now we have to wonder...will SBX run at all this season or will it just sit idle while SB sells "all mountain tickets" and advertises 111 trails open? :( :?: :!:

No admittedly today was not the day for the lift. It was too cold....but it looks like it will not operate at all this weekend despite the fact that the rest of the weekend is forecast to be warmer and there is snow on the mountain. So....?

shadyjay
01-17-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm pretty certain it will run this season. Still ironing out some mechanical issues. I heard them working on it today. On a 2 1/2 mile lift, you want it to be in perfect running shape. Its always better to be safe than sorry. The cold has given some lifts issues that need attention before the SBX and its better to get the lifts open to access terrain that you can't get to by other means vs getting a lift open which accesses a mountain where there is alternative bus service to reach. I'm pretty confident with all parties involved and that we will see SBX sooner than later.

Wonder what the percentage is of LP visitors who go to Mt Ellen on days when the SBX is running... its never crowded when it is running, with many empty chairs. And the bus runs regardless.

freeheel_skier
01-17-2009, 08:03 PM
I hope so :shock:

sgottmann
01-19-2009, 07:58 PM

Me too. I think that I am one of the few who loves that lift. I just can't get into the bus but will ride SBX most days when it runs (and I am sking a full day).

HowieT2
01-19-2009, 09:05 PM

Me too. I think that I am one of the few who loves that lift. I just can't get into the bus but will ride SBX most days when it runs (and I am sking a full day).

FWIW-I was at mellon this morning and all the chairs are off the ground and, presumably, on the sbx.

mattlucas
01-19-2009, 11:33 PM
not to go from north to castlerock pub at 3:30, but otherwise, yes.

boze
01-20-2009, 10:48 AM
not to go from north to castlerock pub at 3:30, but otherwise, yes.

Maybe we could get our Mt Ellen Plus passes 'validated' at the CR pub after a 330pm ride over! :wink:

win
01-20-2009, 01:04 PM
OK! I voted, so here are the facts. I checked number one. We were planning on running this past weekend and had the State inspector lined up to be here on Friday, and he was. Unfortunately, the communication line had been torn a few days earlier and we were not connecting to the RPDs on a couple of towers. We ordered some new line and were going to run the lift slower which is permitted by code until the new line could be installed (RPDs are needed on the high speed detachable quads but not fixed grip). The inspector, however, did not permit us to do that, so we could not operate it. Saturday was too cold anyway, but we were all really disappointed not to be able to have it for Sunday and Monday. So unless something else happens, it is scheduled for this weekend. The new line was delievered and is being installed.

freeheel_skier
01-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the info! I will ride if running this weekend!

ScoobySnack
01-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Sweet! I'm so happy for the SBX to be back up that I wouldn't even mind if a Claybrook owner cuts that line. :lol:

vonski
01-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Darn, being and Ellen only holder I enjoyed the lack of lines this past weekend. but it would have been nice to wave to someone when coming out of Slidebrook. :wink:

shadyjay
01-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Saw the mechanics working on it today and it was turning slowly for a while... not open to the public of course.

shadyjay
01-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Slide Brook is set to turn this weekend.... weather dependent of course. If the temps are too cold, of if its too windy, she won't run though.

shadyjay
01-24-2009, 06:06 PM
Update:
Slide Brook was set to run today (saturday) but the temps kept it closed to the public. 5 deg is the cut-off, based on mid mtn temps. It is not scheduled to run Sunday since its supposed to be even colder. Temp restriction is so that in the event of an issue, those on the lift won't freeze to death. There is now a sign you can read from the GH corral which depicts the status of both North Lynx and Slide Brook.

shadyjay
02-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Update/ FYI :

I should advise all that Slide Brook is now set to open at *** 10AM *** on days when it is scheduled to run - ie - Feb 14-22, and weekends only after that, due to additional pre-operational inspection.

Slide Brook's hours will now be 10AM-3:15PM, of course weather and maintenance dependent.

win
02-17-2009, 07:17 PM
I will expand on Shadyjay's comment. Last Thursday, the State Tram Board decided that lift lines need to be inspected each day by someone actually riding the line -that is in the chair - rather than inspecting from the ground. With sixteen lifts this increases the time it takes us each morning to clear the lifts. Knowing that it would be challenging to get SB open at 9am we made the decision to schedule its opening for 10am and making sure the other scheduled lifts were ready by 9am. Ridership on SB before that time is very light.

summitchallenger
02-17-2009, 07:24 PM
I will expand on Shadyjay's comment. Last Thursday, the State Tram Board decided that lift lines need to be inspected each day by someone actually riding the line -that is in the chair - rather than inspecting from the ground. With sixteen lifts this increases the time it takes us each morning to clear the lifts. Knowing that it would be challenging to get SB open at 9am we made the decision to schedule its opening for 10am and making sure the other scheduled lifts were ready by 9am. Ridership on SB before that time is very light.

Win: Sounds like the State is really giving you guys the run around this season.

win
02-18-2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the support, but that would not be helpful.

HowieT2
02-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Took my first rides on the sbx this season and there were a lot of others.