PDA

View Full Version : Coldest Day ever skiing thread..

Last Tracks
01-12-2009, 09:43 PM
In aniticpation of the coldest air in years.

When? Where? Were you wearing jeans?

freeheel_skier
01-12-2009, 10:06 PM
This Friday. :lol: I don't really remember the exact temp...I am pretty sure it was below zero without windchill. I was skiing with a 700 loft down jacket and a shell over it. I had so many layers on I felt like I was wearing a "fat" suit! It was fuggn' cold!

skibum1321
01-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Four or five years ago at Smuggs. It was -50 with windchill at the top of Sterling. Madonna was on "Cold Hold". I did 2 runs and I stopped in the summit lodge each time up the lift and at the base lodge each time down.
I actually did that a few times. Probably never again though - it just isn't worth it unless it's a pow day.

Lostone
01-13-2009, 09:13 AM
A number of years ago, it was ≈ -22°. There had been 3' of snow, the previous day, and overnight. I got a ride to the mountain from one of the guys from the ski club. When I went thru my bag, in the Valley House, I discovered I had a mitten for the right hand and a glove... for the right hand.

I thought about the possibility of getting my buddy to drive me back to the house, in Moretown. Then I decided to fine myself $35 for stupidity, and went down to Sigi's shop (I said it was a number of years ago!) and bought a new pair of mittens and went skiing.

It was brutal. Leave nothing uncovered! Go out for 2 runs and in to warm up. Out for 3 runs, and in to warm up. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Last Tracks
01-13-2009, 11:38 AM
my coldest day was the day i feel into a creek off the back side of bolton... only in the teems but i thought i was going to die. just put one foot in front of the other and eventually my wollies did their job.

Strat
01-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Doesn't the back side of Bolton end you up in the Waterbury Reservoir? Did you have a car stashed at Little River?

Fourwide
01-13-2009, 12:28 PM
MLK day 2001. We were skiing Killington back then. Rode up the Snowshed lift (I believe that's the name of the beginner area) on our way to K base. Barely survived the lift ride, spent a few minutes in the waming hut, skied to the K base lodge , spent a few minutes there re-warming and then surrendered to the elements and skied back to the cars. I seem to recall a sign by K base as we skied by advising that it was some ridiculous # up top, but can't quite recall, as my eyeballs were frozen.

klop
01-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Many years back, also at Smuggs. Madonna was closed because it was -100 wind chill on top according to patrol. Some friends and I hiked up FIS and skied through 2 inches of windpacked crust.

othripper
01-13-2009, 01:09 PM
A long time ago when I was teaching at Glen Ellen, winter of 75. It was -35 at the base or so with 60mph winds at mid-station. Only the Mountain Chair to the Glen House was open, and the patrol said up top the wind was so bad that you couldn't stand. BTW the Mountain chair was an 18 minute ride. I had 3 people actually show up for a lesson, we went over to chair 4, and when we got to the top, two of them had to go in for frostbite, the other gave up after the next run. Rick Graham, another instructor, went to his class and said, "Well, with the wind chill it's 90 below at mid-station so we are going to stay down here." He said the class wanted to go up and see what it felt like. Rick said no. That was in the days before helmets and we used to call those two hat days.

I think it took me two days to stop shivering.

Tin Woodsman
01-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Doesn't the back side of Bolton end you up in the Waterbury Reservoir? Did you have a car stashed at Little River?

If you have a tele or A/T set up, the backside of Bolton can end up wherever you want it to be.

Two words: Cotton Brook

Last Tracks
01-13-2009, 01:40 PM
i skined out... i was actually in woodard that day.. cotton brook is a great area too.

the backside of Bolton is a great place to ski.. I'm convinced that they built Bolton on the wrong side of the mountain. Of course, those sunsets over the lake are pretty nice!

Hawk
01-13-2009, 01:57 PM
I with Lostone. A bunch of years ago it was about -20 with some wind. I wore everything I owned and skied bumps top to bottom to keep me warm.

Dellwood
01-13-2009, 03:15 PM
February 15, 2003 give or take a day. Skiing at Sugarbush the temp mid day was -17 below. It was windy to the point that riding the SB chair was too painful. (No idea what the wind chill was, but as an adult I did not want to know exactly how stupid I was for being out) Went over to Gatehouse and did laps, no crowds, although riding up the chair you wished there were a couple more bodies for warmth! Layered nicely, mittens, helmet goggles and neckwarmer covering my face. Still had frost bite on a small piece of exposured skin on my face. Later on in the week 10 degrees felt warm.

Tin Woodsman
01-13-2009, 03:19 PM
i skined out... i was actually in woodard that day.. cotton brook is a great area too.

the backside of Bolton is a great place to ski.. I'm convinced that they built Bolton on the wrong side of the mountain. Of course, those sunsets over the lake are pretty nice!

Definitely. Or why they didn't build it on Bolton Mountain?

Nebraska Valley and Cotton Brook offer some of the finest skiing in the northeast.

Last Tracks
01-14-2009, 07:27 AM
RECREATIONAL FORECAST
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
309 AM EST WED JAN 14 2009

.THE HIGHER SUMMITS FORECAST FOR VERMONT AND NORTHERN NEW YORK...

.TODAY...PARTLY SUNNY. NEAR STEADY TEMPERATURES IN THE SINGLE DIGITS
BELOW ZERO. NORTHWEST WINDS 30 TO 45 MPH...DECREASING TO 20 TO
35 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND CHILL VALUES IN THE UPPER 30S BELOW
ZERO.
.TONIGHT...CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF FLURRIES. LOWS IN THE SINGLE DIGITS
BELOW ZERO. NORTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 30 MPH. WIND CHILL VALUES IN THE
LOWER 30S BELOW ZERO.
.THURSDAY...CLOUDY IN THE MORNING...THEN BECOMING PARTLY SUNNY.
HIGHS IN THE SINGLE DIGITS BELOW ZERO. WEST WINDS 10 TO 25 MPH. WIND
CHILL VALUES IN THE UPPER 20S BELOW ZERO.

ridelikeme
01-14-2009, 12:14 PM

SSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! yer gonna roon it, dude. :evil: 8) :twisted:

volklmantras
01-14-2009, 01:37 PM
RECREATIONAL FORECAST
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
309 AM EST WED JAN 14 2009

.THE HIGHER SUMMITS FORECAST FOR VERMONT AND NORTHERN NEW YORK...

.TODAY...PARTLY SUNNY. NEAR STEADY TEMPERATURES IN THE SINGLE DIGITS
BELOW ZERO. NORTHWEST WINDS 30 TO 45 MPH...DECREASING TO 20 TO
35 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND CHILL VALUES IN THE UPPER 30S BELOW
ZERO.
.TONIGHT...CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF FLURRIES. LOWS IN THE SINGLE DIGITS
BELOW ZERO. NORTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 30 MPH. WIND CHILL VALUES IN THE
LOWER 30S BELOW ZERO.
.THURSDAY...CLOUDY IN THE MORNING...THEN BECOMING PARTLY SUNNY.
HIGHS IN THE SINGLE DIGITS BELOW ZERO. WEST WINDS 10 TO 25 MPH. WIND
CHILL VALUES IN THE UPPER 20S BELOW ZERO.

Ohh, Partly Sunny, that's something to look forward too! YIKES!!!

Last Tracks
01-14-2009, 08:32 PM
i went up today.. wasn't bad at all as long as you stayed out of the wind. Still lots of stashes from the weekend...

Last Tracks
01-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Roger Hill is saying we will get an inversion starting Sat. afternoon. Temps on summits will be significantly above those in valleys. So if you want to escape the cold - go ski!

Lostone
01-16-2009, 09:18 AM
1/16 @ 9:09

Sugarbush LP 2° Base -4° Summit
Mt Ellen 1° Base -13° Summit

Weather.com -15°

NOAA Warren 899' -23°
NOAA ~ Warren 2933' -23°

My deck (in the sun) 9.9°
(Skiing still not so good on my deck.) :wink:

freeheel_skier
01-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Very cold out this morning.....but not as bad as one would think. Got a few runs in and the snow is good! 8) Now time to warm up and pretend to work @ home.