PDA

View Full Version : Ripcord: WTF?????

summitchallenger
01-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Just curious as to why these sections of snowfencing appeared:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1975/35/104/744459666/n744459666_1250324_1604.jpg

They seem to be randomly placed on the trail with no obvious obstacles behind them. My guess was that they were erected to prevent further wind damage. But who does know?

freeheel_skier
01-12-2009, 11:39 AM
I saw those on Friday too. I was thinking snowfence to protect from wind :?

Tin Woodsman
01-12-2009, 01:59 PM

Whether it's random or not, it's much needed. The top section above the Spillsville entrance is always a mess, so I applaud them thinking creatively.

HowieT2
01-12-2009, 02:10 PM

Whether it's random or not, it's much needed. The top section above the Spillsville entrance is always a mess, so I applaud them thinking creatively.

They had those up last season also. No idea what they are intended for.

MntMan4Bush
01-12-2009, 03:30 PM
I saw them too and wasn't sure the reason. I could only ponder that they were giant nets to try and slow down or stop people and their equipment from breaking the sound barrier if they fell on the giant ice patches that formed. Wind barrier is probably a better guess.

I know SB's policy on resurfacing trails as pointe dout in previous trails. So how do we get Ripcord back in edge-able shape?

ahm
01-12-2009, 03:36 PM
As long as your edges are sharp, the trail is std ice coast expert. I actually found skiers right quite nice yesterday. Was there some serious ice, sure, but a good sharp wood core ski seemed to be able to handle it. Nothing like icy troughs and pow piles, that's just "wonderful" eastern skiing. If there isn't some sound when we turn, we might forget what coast we are on. Have fun with it and looking for a colder and "icy-er" MLK.................I have a dream..................AHM

atkinson
01-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Snow fence is designed to capture ... snow. The wind constantly buffs that upper section and the fencing is meant to mitigate nature's snow removal.

John