PDA

View Full Version : North Lynx Soon!

shadyjay
01-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Just got home and checked the web site to see that North Lynx will be getting a snowmaking assault. They were still blasting over on Snowball/Racer's Edge this afternoon, however so I'm guessing the night crew will get the Lynx running so that oneday soon we'll be carving down her enchanted slopes once again.

Don't worry - be happy, and get out there and ride/ski!

John Walden
01-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Finally, snowmaking coming to NL. I heard today that the groomers were good; pretty cold out there.

shadyjay
01-09-2009, 09:14 PM
oh yes, it was cold - but the runs I did off Gate House were great. Gotta remember to bring some goggles even when I'm an op. Spend my lunch break now on the slopes - better for me than a burger n' fries.

skiladi
01-09-2009, 10:32 PM
Finally, snowmaking coming to NL. I heard today that the groomers were good; pretty cold out there. True that , but CR was sweeeet! ; }

HowieT2
01-09-2009, 11:35 PM
Hallelujah :shock:

HowieT2
01-10-2009, 07:51 AM
woke up to the sight of the guns blasting Birch Run.

madhavok
01-11-2009, 02:33 PM
WEAK! What was the point behind the email teaser if North Lynx never turned? Better to under promise and over deliver.

Last Tracks
01-11-2009, 08:42 PM
I noticed that all of the lines from LP into slidebrook were totally untracked when i skied down from North today... something for this week.

boze
01-11-2009, 08:44 PM
I noticed that all of the lines from LP into slidebrook were totally untracked when i skied down from North today... something for this week.

How was the runout from SB?

Last Tracks
01-11-2009, 08:52 PM
run out has good cover all the way to the road. i skied it from the LT at ME all the way down via the usual route, maybe 5 sets of tracks coming in from rimbowl, was my best run of the year so far...

Tin Woodsman
01-11-2009, 09:08 PM
run out has good cover all the way to the road. i skied it from the LT at ME all the way down via the usual route, maybe 5 sets of tracks coming in from rimbowl, was my best run of the year so far...

Excuses will be found not to run the SBX.

Yard Sale
01-11-2009, 09:12 PM

Why do you say that?

HowieT2
01-11-2009, 10:06 PM

Why do you say that?

It does appear that the SBX has been running much less frequently over the last few years. FWIW I was all over the woods at south (except slidebrook) and it is still very scratchy in spots. What that means in terms of the necessary cover in slidebrook, I don't know.

I agree, it was weak not having north lynx this weekend, especially today. I still don't understand why they didn't make the snow there during the week.

whatever, today was excellent. The skiing that is. The drive home, not so much. any of you see me waiting for Hap to pull me out of a snowbank in the granville gulf? did a 180 but no damage or injuries.

freeheel_skier
01-11-2009, 10:25 PM
FWIW....was in the woods.....not ready, not ready, not ready! My .02

Hawk
01-12-2009, 08:11 AM
I would not doubt that the skiing was good from the north side but I have to agree with Freeheel in a general sense. Up high is good but down low is boney with stuff just below the surface. For the average woods skier there would be issues. Good eveidnce of this is the amount of woods related injurys that Ski Patrol had this weekend. I also talked to an outback snow shoe guide on Sunday. He told me that the water bars higher up on the South side are still open and running. I think with this weeks cold and some more snow, we should be in better shape.

MntMan4Bush
01-12-2009, 10:07 AM
NL not spinning this weekend was a tease. I heard some say that it was due to not enough snow. Here I have to call BS. I hiked up Birch on Saturday and post holed up to my thigh a couple of times. Good snow in my opinion. Certainly better then in a lot of other places on the mountain.

From there we dropped into SB. The top 50% - 60% was pretty good. I'm sure Sunday was better, but Saturday had a bit of a crust on it. No tracks at all in there. No wonder why since it was a good hump up Birch run. In any case it was sweet. The last 25% was a bit dodgy at points. This last storm and a deep freeze this week could be just what it needs.

So then I have to ask, why was NL not open? Was it because only one trail had ample coverage (Didn't go up Morningstar, but it didn't look too bad.) Will NL not open if it only services a single trail. (i.e. not economical) Don't say not enough snow, because that's been shot down. Hell I've been down Middle Earth in the spring when I had to hike down 20% of the trail in different areas. What gives?

Dawn Patrol
01-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Word on the street is North Lynx is being reserved for Claybrook residents only...

chuck
01-12-2009, 10:40 AM
LOL...thats funny........

freeheel_skier
01-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Word on the street is North Lynx is being reserved for Claybrook residents only...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How are they going to get up there??? Snow Cat? :D

HowieT2
01-12-2009, 11:10 AM
NL not spinning this weekend was a tease. I heard some say that it was due to not enough snow. Here I have to call BS. I hiked up Birch on Saturday and post holed up to my thigh a couple of times. Good snow in my opinion. Certainly better then in a lot of other places on the mountain.

From there we dropped into SB. The top 50% - 60% was pretty good. I'm sure Sunday was better, but Saturday had a bit of a crust on it. No tracks at all in there. No wonder why since it was a good hump up Birch run. In any case it was sweet. The last 25% was a bit dodgy at points. This last storm and a deep freeze this week could be just what it needs.

So then I have to ask, why was NL not open? Was it because only one trail had ample coverage (Didn't go up Morningstar, but it didn't look too bad.) Will NL not open if it only services a single trail. (i.e. not economical) Don't say not enough snow, because that's been shot down. Hell I've been down Middle Earth in the spring when I had to hike down 20% of the trail in different areas. What gives?

FWIW-I heard from someone that there were lift repair and inspection issues with NL. Whatever the reason, it's weak.

TimKeogh
01-12-2009, 11:36 AM
I was told there are still hoses attached to guns that are laid out across the trails. "Those have to be removed and we are shooting for this Friday to open the chair."

jwt
01-12-2009, 12:08 PM
I tried hiking Morningstar Saturday with some folks from our house - done it before when it was on wind hold, but this time I was with teens so I thought it best to ask since I was walking by the patrol shack - they said no - but we could hike the liftline ( SB) to get into SB - we didn't do it, not with ski boots and teens who were not my own.

Next time I'll just keep hiking.

Claybrook residents - that was funny. Thing is - with what 300 beds? in that place is there ever going to be more than 50-100 people at one time on the mountain, spread all over creation so what, 4-6 ( one or two chairs) that could be had in front of us paying customers?

Best thing is for the most part, those people in those condos aren't chopping up trees - stats show that people who can afford that kind of luxury aren't ( for the most part) tree hounds or first on the chair types.. . . .and for the small % that are - they paid a pretty penny and why not give them a priviledge that we - the local homeowner doesn't have. Think it is called private business and they can do what they want with their product.

We are free to disagree and go buy our own mountain if we don't like it. Or should everyone be given the chance to own a resort? Government sponsored of course.

Dawn Patrol
01-12-2009, 12:24 PM
I tried hiking Morningstar Saturday with some folks from our house - done it before when it was on wind hold, but this time I was with teens so I thought it best to ask since I was walking by the patrol shack - they said no - but we could hike the liftline ( SB) to get into SB - we didn't do it, not with ski boots and teens who were not my own.

Next time I'll just keep hiking.

Claybrook residents - that was funny. Thing is - with what 300 beds? in that place is there ever going to be more than 50-100 people at one time on the mountain, spread all over creation so what, 4-6 ( one or two chairs) that could be had in front of us paying customers?

Best thing is for the most part, those people in those condos aren't chopping up trees - stats show that people who can afford that kind of luxury aren't ( for the most part) tree hounds or first on the chair types.. . . .and for the small % that are - they paid a pretty penny and why not give them a priviledge that we - the local homeowner doesn't have. Think it is called private business and they can do what they want with their product.

We are free to disagree and go buy our own mountain if we don't like it. Or should everyone be given the chance to own a resort? Government sponsored of course.

Not to drag this convo into here, but it's not 'private business' and we may not 'buy our own mountain'. A lot of Sugarbush is on Federal lands and this may be considered discrimination. Check the other thread for more info.

summitchallenger
01-12-2009, 12:26 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How are they going to get up there??? Snow Cat? :D

They are trying the new teleportation system....like in Star Trek. "Beam me up, Scotty!" :wink:

win
01-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Mike Wing, our snow manager, and I went up to the top of North Lynx to access it this morning and skied down. I do not think I have ever seen more snow up there on Birch. The cold temperatures really allowed us to blast some excellent snow. Our guns will be on Sunrise through sometime tomorrow. We will be grooming out Birch and plan to open it either Thursday or Friday. I skied down Birch and then lower Sunrise, and I am confident that you will want to be there when it open. Morningstar also have nice natural snow and appears to have good depth except for the very top near the unload.

shadyjay
01-14-2009, 04:07 PM
She's opening Thursday AM!!!

GO GET IT!