PDA

View Full Version : Snowfall Reports -- is the Bush in a snow hole??

sgottmann
01-09-2009, 10:42 AM
I am sure conditions are vastly improved and looking forward to a great weekend. However, I got this from another site regarding the recent storm.

Jay Peak: 20 inches
Smuggler’s Notch: 20 inches
Stowe: 18 inches
Bolton Valley: 13 inches
Mad River Glen: 8 inches
Sugarbush: 8 inches
Killington: 17 inches
Okemo: 7 inches
Bromley: 9 inches
Magic Mountain: 12 inches
Stratton: 13 inches
Mount Snow: 12 inches

If you are a non pass holder and your saw this, where would you ski???

Tin Woodsman
01-09-2009, 11:00 AM
I think those 8" didn't include the additioanl 3-4" they got during the afternoon, so they ended up with about a foot. While they did get skunked relative to the areas north of 89 and, for a change, the SoVT resorts, what would you have them do? Lie about their totals?

They got a double whammy where they were in the sleet zone, but didn't get in on the plume of intense lake effect banding coming off of Lake Ontario and were a little too far South to get the best upslope. It happens, and it will even out over the course of the season. Still, if a foot of much needed base building snow constitutes a snow hole, I'll take it any day of the week.

TimKeogh
01-09-2009, 11:16 AM
If you are a non pass holder and your saw this, where would you ski???

I would make my decision to ski based upon terrain, price, drive time and customer service.

Snow totals are notoriously inaccurate/inflated and never factor in my decision making process.

Dawn Patrol
01-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Someone get the waahmbulance...

Snowfall totals vary with every storm, are reported at different times by different resorts with varying amounts of truth. Welcome to Earth...

Nice first post.

HowieT2
01-09-2009, 12:44 PM
SB updated the total to 12". Still hard to believe K-mart got 17.

Where did the list come from? easternuswx.com?

summitchallenger
01-09-2009, 01:04 PM
You're right. The snow sucks at SB. Stay away. Leave the crummy conditions to us to ski. :wink:

sgottmann
01-09-2009, 01:06 PM
I do not want Sugarbush to over-state snow totals -- I like it the way it is. I was just suprised that just to the South and to the North the snow was twice as much at Sugarbush. I find the lack of consistency in snow reporting between resorts frustrating and detrimental to the industry.

As far as where to go, i vote with my Dollars by going to Sugarbush. However, I think after a recent thaw, the amount of new snow is certainly an important consideration for the daytripper to consider, especially if you are considering drive time.

Yes, I got them from Easternwx.us. Hoping this weekend storm trends north and gives us some more love.

vonski
01-09-2009, 01:08 PM
K-mart probably got the 17 inches on the top of the highest lift served peak in VT. not that that does any one any good as there are just so many good trails off the top. :lol:

sgottmann
01-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Someone get the waahmbulance...

Snowfall totals vary with every storm, are reported at different times by different resorts with varying amounts of truth. Welcome to Earth...

Nice first post.

Mighty sensitive. I see entire threads about complaining about the lack of snowmaking but try to point out how things are portrayed/reported with respect to a recent storm and get railed for being a crybaby.

Tin Woodsman
01-09-2009, 01:11 PM
SB updated the total to 12". Still hard to believe K-mart got 17.

I'm pretty sure that was compiled by J. Spin on SKITVT-L, among other places, prior to SB revealing the extra snow they received yesterday afternoon.

Hawk
01-09-2009, 01:15 PM
sgottmann, first hand reports from friends tell me that Jay, Smuggs and Stowe did get the jackpot at around 18" for the entire 2 day event. As stated here, the Bush and MRG totaled about a foot. I can not comment on the rest except for Killington which seems to be an anomoly. I doubt they got 17".

Regardless of my pass status I would ski at any resort from Sugarbush North. It's always better up here. :wink:

Oh and by the way, welcome on board. We are a friendly group as you can see by the other posts. :roll: :wink:

sgottmann
01-09-2009, 01:16 PM
[quote=HowieT2]SB updated the total to 12". Still hard to believe K-mart got 17.

I'm pretty sure that was compiled by J. Spin on SKITVT-L, among other places, prior to SB revealing the extra snow they received yesterday afternoon.

Sounds reasonable -- thanks.

When I last checked, Killington was reporting more snow this year than Stowe (and substantially more than Sugarbush), which while possible due to recent storm tracks, is highly unlikely, IMO.

sgottmann
01-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Hawk - thanks for the info and the welcome.

Tin Woodsman
01-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Mighty sensitive. I see entire threads about complaining about the lack of snowmaking but try to point out how things are portrayed/reported with respect to a recent storm and get railed for being a crybaby.
What would you have them do? They reported what they got. It's that simple. It's a one storm anomoly that most people realize is out of their control. End of story.

thread locked.