PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on ground shipping ski equipment to Utah

TimKeogh
01-07-2009, 02:44 PM
We are 6 people and that is 12 extra bags, which I fear the airlines are still charging extra for even though fuel prices have tanked.

Does anyone have any experience doing this? Is it cost-effective?

Should I look only at FedEX, DHL, etc? What about the USPS?

If we did do it, could we add a case of securely packaged wine/beer to the load?

Thanks in advance !

Tim

Yard Sale
01-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Just flew to/from Vail on United. Pre-paid for checked bags on line the day before travel. Cost was $12.00 per bag each way. (You save a little by checking bags on line.) I don't know what the shipping costs would be, but hopefully this adds some insight into you cost/benefit analisys.

Have a good trip.

TimKeogh
01-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Delta's policy regarding extra bags is below, only we'll have luggage #1, skis #2, boot bag #3, which add $100 each way, to the overall price.

"Customers who purchased Delta tickets on or after July 31, 2008 through November 5, 2008, regardless of travel date and who are traveling within the United States will be charged $50 for a second bag, but will be permitted to check their first bag without charge in keeping with Delta's previous policy. "

That is $1200 for the group round-trip, I would think that in this economy a half-empty logistics company or 3rd party carrier could easily beat that price.

If you add in the extra cost for copious amounts of wine/beer that we might be able to ship instead of buying at Utah prices, it could save us a lot more.

skigal
01-07-2009, 09:13 PM
It's been years (too many) since we took a ski trip out west but when we did we usually packed two pairs of skis in each bag and two pairs of boots in another bag. These days that could cause a weight problem but maybe not if your group includes kids.

Years ago people brought their boots on board as a carry on. Again, I don't know if this still works with airline restrictions.

Another thing to consider...bring your boots and rent demos.

I have looked into shipping golf clubs and it was far more expensive than paying for the extra bag.

Hope you have a great time with lots of powder!

skigal
01-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Also...we always try to share 1 clothing bag for two people. If you have acsess to a washer and dryer you can make that work.

madhavok
01-08-2009, 07:17 AM
Your ski boots should be a carry on.