PDA

View Full Version : I'm Sorry, But It's Just Not Powder and Packed Powder

Strat
01-07-2009, 01:29 PM
What is it with the snow report defaulting to primary and secondary conditions of Powder and Packed Powder every time there's a big storm expected? The snow report is supposed to be an accurate representation of what conditions are, not what we were hoping they would be when we salivated over the forecast last night. I got up to South at about 10 this morning, took a bunch of nice runs on 3-4 inches of sandy fresh snow and some decent manmade (Downspout was surprisingly nice), but Powder and Packed Powder? Please. I understand that it's hard to condense conditions to two nice little phrases, but if accuracy is any sort of goal for the snow reporters, they need to work a little harder.

summitchallenger
01-07-2009, 01:39 PM
How is "sandy snow" not powder?

shadyjay
01-07-2009, 01:57 PM
At least the snow report is more truthful than other mountains. And the Bush is the only snow report I've seen that mentions the precip type that could/is falling, rather than just saying up to a foot is expected. They are quite conservative and cautious and often don't hide the fact that on some days, you should stick to the groomers, etc.

freeheel_skier
01-07-2009, 02:11 PM
How is "sandy snow" not powder?

Sugary maybe? :?

Strat,

I am confused? What do you think the secondary surface felt like? Machine Made packed powder? Sematics, I suppose......I would have said packed powder. I did hit some scratch too. But packed pow overall.

What if it is wet and heavy Powder? Do you want them to call it Cement? :P Don't forget they are also trying to be as honest as possible and marketing the product at the same time.

Besides, the secondary surface will be all packed powder tomorrow. Don't you worry about it! :wink:

Hawk
01-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Sounds like it was a great day Freeheel. I'm sure tomorrow is going to be even better. I'm so stoked for this weekend. :)

Also stoked to find out the Dead are playing this spring. Worcester, Albany, Buffalo, Uniondale, Madison Square and East Rutherford at the Izod. Yahoo! :wink:

Last Tracks
01-07-2009, 06:13 PM
just got back from the LP. they got about 3-5 inches of nice creamy snow.. it didn't snow much while i was there from 12 to 4 and it was sleeting when i left. . skied the woods off domino, hiked over to the rock a couple times. no one there, very nice.

Tin Woodsman
01-07-2009, 06:40 PM
just got back from the LP. they got about 3-5 inches of nice creamy snow.. it didn't snow much while i was there from 12 to 4 and it was sleeting when i left. . skied the woods off domino, hiked over to the rock a couple times. no one there, very nice.
Presumably the 3-5" of junk was just what the doctor ordered to covered up some of the lurking gremlins in the woods?

Last Tracks
01-07-2009, 06:48 PM
the woods are much improved. it is exactly the type of snow we need and skis deeper than it is. i'm going back in the morning.

Strat
01-07-2009, 07:04 PM
I agree that the commentary is very helpful - mentioning precip and general suggestions is much appreciated. But I think it's a pretty universal notion that just because it fell from the sky doesn't mean it's Powder. There's a big difference between a few inches of sandy, sleety accumulation and fluff (is it wrong that when I hear powder I think fluff?). I suppose I could concede Packed Powder, but as a primary condition, not as secondary to Powder.

Also excited that the Dead are touring. I'm in for MSG, Uniondale, maybe Worcester...

shadyjay
01-07-2009, 07:06 PM
According to the web site, Castlerock reopens tomorrow.
If the winds don't howl, I may bus it over to Mt Ellen after a few hours at LP. Birdland rode soooo nice on Tuesday.

HowieT2
01-07-2009, 09:24 PM
I agree that the commentary is very helpful - mentioning precip and general suggestions is much appreciated. But I think it's a pretty universal notion that just because it fell from the sky doesn't mean it's Powder. There's a big difference between a few inches of sandy, sleety accumulation and fluff (is it wrong that when I hear powder I think fluff?). I suppose I could concede Packed Powder, but as a primary condition, not as secondary to Powder.

Also excited that the Dead are touring. I'm in for MSG, Uniondale, maybe Worcester...

The back end snow, should it grace us with its bounty, should be of light variety. The high density base is just what the doctor ordered.

HowieT2
01-07-2009, 09:52 PM
From NWS Burlington-ADDITIONAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS ACROSS NORTHERN NEW YORK AND THE
CHAMPLAIN VALLEY WILL BE 1 TO 4 INCHES. MEANWHILE...ADDITIONAL
SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS OF CENTRAL AND
NORTHERN VERMONT WILL BE 3 TO 8 INCHES BY THURSDAY AFTERNOON.

Nice. I Like.

Snowman
01-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Did those forecasts mention WINDS??? :shock:

as there are wind holds to report on Super Bravo and Heaven's Gate at Lincoln Peak. As new information is received, we'll update our reports

As to the original topic, I would consider the secondary surface frozen snow/ice. I like packed powder, but there is very little of that around. That base is solid, with very little edging surface available. That ain't packed powder! :roll:

atkinson
01-08-2009, 10:41 AM
I just had two fine untracked "packed powder" runs on Liftline!

John

shadyjay
01-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Did those forecasts mention WINDS???

Winds are keeping me home today - though I may get out on my lunch break tomorrow and hit some runs. That's the great thing about the Gate House - 3 min lift ride, < 3 min +/- run down. Lather, rinse, repeat :)

summitchallenger
01-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Did those forecasts mention WINDS???

Winds are keeping me home today - though I may get out on my lunch break tomorrow and hit some runs. That's the great thing about the Gate House - 3 min lift ride, < 3 min +/- run down. Rinse, lather, repeat.

So you work at Gatehouse. I'll have to look for you when I am up next time.....

And it is odd that the wind is closing the Bravo Chair, but not most of the lifts at Ellen or Castlerock.

win
01-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Windhold is all about the velocity and the direction of the wind. It can be calm down low and high up top. The reverse can also be true in the mountains. A North wind generallty affects ME more than LP, a south wind gerally affects affects LP more. It is very difficult to stand at the base and know what is really happening to a particular lift. This morning the wind was so strong at Bravo it was actually lifting the static chairs in the air and keeping them elevated for 20-30 seconds. That is a strong wind.

Castle rock is more protected normally.

As I have mentioned in past post, our lift maintenance teammates are the ones who make the call on windhold and no one, including myself, overrides their judgment on when it is safe to fun a lift.

shadyjay
01-08-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm not at Gatehouse regularly - spend a lot of time at Bravo. But if I'm at any base lift, GH is a good one to go to for some quick runs.

It always amazed me why Village goes on wind hold on occasion - then when I worked it, I realized why... the cleared area to the right of the chair exposes it to a lot of wind. I believe once upon a time, one of the lodges was going to go there... either the Grand Summit or the Lodge At Lincoln Peak, or it was cleared to permit more parking or future development. In my early days of the Bush, it was a lot more protected. Heck, in my earliest days, rentals was downstairs in the Valley House! Things have changed a lot.

With a windhold at Bravo, guess that pretty much guarentees some powder runs for those early risers on Friday... but bundle up, its gonna be a cold one tomorrow from what I hear.

Lostone
01-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Jay, you blew it today. Everyone was saying the riding off Gatehouse was really nice, today. :D

The only people who said they had any problems were the ones who skied Castlerock and (See above. :wink: ) not everyone who was there was complaining, either. 8)

shadyjay
01-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Jay, you blew it today. Everyone was saying the riding off Gatehouse was really nice, today. :D

I spent most of Tuesday on GH and was looking to hit up some stuff over off Bravo today, and maybe go to MEllen... but there's always next time. There'll be more good days to come. And as for the 'Rock, I need some good coverage over there before I shred those slopes again. I have patience - I can wait. 8)

Plus I was too busy racking my brain while writing the "BUSH TALES" theme song. :D