PDA

View Full Version : Friday 1/2/09 Mount Ellen Report

summitchallenger
01-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Date skied: January 2, 2009

Resort: Sugarbush—Mount Ellen

Conditions: FG, Ice.

Weather: Cold and windy. Temps in the low teens or single digits.

2008-2009 Report #: 11

Report: Another short report. I was hoping to meet up with Bush Mogul Master, but the cold temps and a later night than planned, as well as more traffic on the roads, made me a bit too late to meet him. If he was at the meeting spot, he was blown away. The winds at Glen House down through North Ridge base were brutal. Ironically, the summit was not windy at all. :blink: First run, after almost getting blown off the lift, was to head to Summit Quad for what I thought was my only run up there. Rim Run skied nicely, as did Upper Elbow. Lower Elbow, from Spread Eagle to the top of Cruiser, was a sheet of ice. And I mean blue ice. No groomer could fix that...the wind had swept it clean.

I also hit Looking Good, which was OK, but a bit skied off. I did find some drifted snow on skier's left and enjoyed it.

It was not as cold as Wednesday, so I was able to do laps off the Summit Quad hitting Elbow and Rim Run. Getting back to the bottom was not too easy considering that North Star was not too bad, but Cruiser was pretty much top to bottom ice. It was the scariest I have seen that run.

I did a couple spins off of Sunny D--Riemergasse and Sugar Run. The latter had some fresh snowmaking on it and skied well....it was worth another run.

North Ridge was down, but after lunch I thought I saw it spinning, so I took Inverness over to Northway to scout it out and found that it was not. So I did one more top to bottom run and called it quits. Not a bad few hours, but that ice was pretty bad....the new snow should have helped!