PDA

View Full Version : Snowmaking?

jmac
12-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Why does it seem like the snowmaking capacity has really decreased this year at SB? I've read the posts about decreased compressor capacity, etc. But today only one section of trail at South seemed to have the guns and none at North despite temps below freezing?

I know that the weather /wind has been a killer over the past few days, but without snowmaking, there's only so many times a guy can ski Snowball/Spring Fling, Murphys, Elbow and Rim Run.

Actually tempted to head south on Route 100 tomorrow and might put up with the liftlines just to get a sanity break -- dozens of trails will have the guns on tonight.

Tin Woodsman
12-29-2008, 09:54 PM
You're beating a dead horse on this one. SB simply doesn't have the firepower and it's all too noticeable in the early season and after the classic New England thaws we experience several times a winter. For all the talk of what is and is not fiscally responsible, it comes down to money. The system at South needs a good $4-5MM slug of capital so they can run on more than 1 mile of terrain at a time and they need to commit more money to the operating budget once the ability to use it is in place.

The good news is that if you can convince your friends to go in on the remaining 20% of shares at Clay Brook, the funds for this much-needed upgrade will be in place.

mattlucas
12-30-2008, 01:54 AM
Does SB rent out the units that aren't sold?

Tin Woodsman
12-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Does SB rent out the units that aren't sold?
To my knowledge, yes.

Go Figure
12-31-2008, 09:45 PM
Snowmakers getting laid off Jan 23 ,trees celebrate not having to endure the life ending icing they have been subject to this year. :wink:
seriously, the tree damage is worse than ever this year. Forget planting new trees, save the ones we have.

summitchallenger
12-31-2008, 10:05 PM
Snowmakers getting laid off Jan 23 ,trees celebrate not having to endure the life ending icing they have been subject to this year. :wink:
seriously, the tree damage is worse than ever this year. Forget planting new trees, save the ones we have.

1/23 seems early....I imagine that many will stay on to get the place in shape for February vacation.

Lostone
01-01-2009, 06:28 AM
Boy they made a lot of snow in a lot of places, yesterday! And good snow, too. Amazing what the right temps will do to get things cooking! 8)

Now... If the big gun will help out a little... :wink:

win
01-01-2009, 03:33 PM
If you had looked the last couple of days you would have seen that we focused on Downspout, Middle Jester, Lower Organgrinder, Gondolier and the base area where there was the greatest need after the thaw and then moved over the the Gatehouse side on Pushover and Easy Rider. Now we are running full out on Stein's and this trail will be open tomorrow. Temperatures after the thaw were only just below 32 degress at the base are and not good for snow making. That is why you did not see snowmaking in the base area of at Gatehouse area. Also after the power outage while Green Mountain Power was fixing the three downed transmision lines between Middlesex and Moretown, we were limited to 6 megs of power instead of 12 which is needed to run all compressors. When we have the temps and the power we run all 3 compressors this time of year.

Remember, the lower the temps the more snowmaking capacity. Right now it is terrific and that is why we can get Stein's open in a day.

We would love to stop making snow sooner rather than later due to the expense. But we run as long as is needed and last year ran at LP until February 22nd I believe.

shadyjay
01-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Remember, the lower the temps the more snowmaking capacity. Right now it is terrific and that is why we can get Stein's open in a day.

These past few days/nights when it's been really cold, I'm sure the snowmaking has been producing some really great snow. When I made snow in CT, we very seldom had temps that were this cold, and we'd be forced at many times to make snow at marginal temps. Its good for your initial base, but not when you're trying to increase depths on open terrain.

Stein's open after just one day of snowmaking is quite the accomplishment, and I can see why that is done, vs trying to get North Lynx back open. Gotta go for the most bang for the buck, and I'm sure it'd take more than just one or two days of snowmaking to get North Lynx open. Remember, we're after quality over quantity.

See y'all back on the slopes Friday!

slatham
01-04-2009, 09:36 AM
I found the snowmaking decisions interesting and very tough. For instance, rather than Steins, it must have been tempting to hit North Lynx and open another lift, which would be better "stats-wise" and would have helped the heavy crowds on Friday. On the other hand, there were several spots on open terrian that could have used some attention (Sleeper Chute, which by Friday afternoon was dangerous; upper section of Snowball; Murphy's {which was eventually hit) etc).

Personally, I was torn between Steins - one of my favorite runs and the snow that was made could not have been better, and North Lynx, which more of the family would have enjoyed.

Just goes to show that Win and crew don't have an easy job and will never please all of us.

Here's to the next thaw being in MAY!!! :D