PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Week and New Years Weather....

Hawk
12-26-2008, 09:08 AM
With Christmas over, time to concentrate on my favorite activities for the next 10 days. Skiing and Apres! :)
So I checked the weather. Yikes! :shock: Oh well I guess turns will be either fast or very technical.

So I have to ask the long timers. Since I have been coming to Sugarbush it seems to warm up and rain at the holidays every year. When was the last time we had banner conditions this time of year???

noski
12-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Wasn't last year pretty darned good? My weather eye is on 1/2/09.

Treeskier
12-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Part of what makes Sugarbush style is that the sense of community fills in for any and all the weather wows. Ski Yah tomorrow rain or no rain.

ski_resort_observer
12-26-2008, 11:25 AM
I think it was about 5 years ago(noski?) the fireworks were postponed for the next night during New Years Eve cause of a hard rain and then the next night it was still raining so they were cancelled altogether. The kids were alittle bummed but they understood the weather thing.

This weekend does look like it might be abit wet from the clouds but on the positive side maybe it will soften things up. New Years Eve looks good. Temps in the normal range. It seems like what's called normal for the past few years, is rarely normal.

John Walden
12-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Hawk: I have kept a ski log for the last 25 years since we have been at Sugarbush. I went back 10 years this weekend and noticed that the last 6 years we have had rain either the day before Christmas thru the day after Christmas. Before those years we had many cold and no snow here at Sugarbush at Christmas.

Strat
12-28-2008, 05:51 PM
It always seems to rain right around Christmas. This year we got lucky and had a nice period of snow beforehand, but some years, it's been dry until mid-late January...

HowieT2
12-28-2008, 06:26 PM
the weather was so bad i was almost glad I was stuck at the in-laws. But no worries, we'll be up tuesday and there'll be some snow before the new year and then I see the same as Noski for 1/2-3. powder day by saturday.

summitchallenger
12-28-2008, 07:30 PM
I agree with the comment about not missing much. I'm having a great, fun, guilt free visit with the future inlaws. The rain and fog are downright depressing, but at least I am not spending vacation time sitting at my house crying because it is raining and am out having a good time. Maybe NY's Day or NY's Eve for my next visit (?)

Lostone
12-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Well, I got drenched, yesterday, but first I had 3 hours of really good skiing with soft, carveable snow.

Today started with a hard crust over most of the trails, but after the first hour, trails started softening, other than Snowball to Spring Fling, which were mostly nice from the beginning.

We lost Heaven's Gate to wind, right away, so it was crowded, but most said the snow was quite good, and the rain held off until around 2:15. (I worked, so I didn't get out, after 10:30. So I have to go by what others said... and that it was 55°.)

ski_resort_observer
12-28-2008, 10:14 PM
April skiing in December, ya just have to take the bad with the good. Saw alot of drowned rats yesterday and folks who had proper gear. Until the clouds came in today it really did seem like a nice spring day. Big lines at the base lifts but people were loving the spring conditions. I assume it's pretty obvious why North Lynx didn't spin.

Spring is over, back to winter. Wow, the winds were strong tonight, lost power maybe 5 times. Have a great New Years, be safe.

Hardbooter
12-29-2008, 11:33 AM
How much snow did we lose on the natural snow trails? How did the base in the woods do?

skibum1321
12-29-2008, 01:34 PM
How much snow did we lose on the natural snow trails? How did the base in the woods do?
We lost a ton on the naturals and the woods. We are basically back to square one for a lot of the trails - a lot of dirt on the Mall, Steins and Birdland. Castlerock is closed. And the woods are a far, far cry from last Monday.

djd66
12-29-2008, 02:07 PM
What I found strange - driving home yesterday I noticed there was lot more natual snow on the ground when you got outside of the Mad River Valley.

Tin Woodsman
12-29-2008, 02:41 PM
We lost a ton on the naturals and the woods. We are basically back to square one for a lot of the trails - a lot of dirt on the Mall, Steins and Birdland. Castlerock is closed. And the woods are a far, far cry from last Monday.
A very accurate assessment. I wouldn't say back to square one, but we'll need a good 12-18" of base building snow before you can start to poke around in the woods carefully. North Lynx is completely brown.

Treeskier
12-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Nor'easter this should fill in a lot. Upper MT has lots of snow in the woods but FIRM. Lower MT it diminishes quickly. I also noticed that outside the valley there was more natural snow.

Doing my snow dance!