PDA

View Full Version : North Lynx

Hawk
12-19-2008, 06:23 PM
So what's the deal? Did it get inspected and when will it open?
Got a date with some pow up there. 8)

shadyjay
12-19-2008, 07:48 PM
Keep an eye for the weekend...

Hawk
12-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Nice Jay.... see you up there.

Strat
12-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Still no N. Lynx... powder's sitting up there going to waste!

shadyjay
12-20-2008, 06:08 PM
We worked on its chairs the other day and i think some went up today to continue the job. Ski patrol went up it yesterday and had some pretty sick turns coming down so the trails are most likely ready. For this one... you know what they say: "Good Things Come To Those Who Wait".

Treeskier
12-21-2008, 08:58 PM
It is due to be open tomorrow. As long as wind does not effect it!

MntMan4Bush
12-22-2008, 09:58 AM
The snow was awesome this weekend. I was a little bummed North Lynx wasn't open, but found plenty of treats all around the mountain to include early runs on Twist (where Win asked if I had a special powder pass for Twist.),and deep and light powder on Middle Earth when the chair started spinning. I found it hard to believe though that North Lynx wasn't open because there wasn't enough snow as I just came down natural trails harvesting pow like like a fat kid going to town on a hostess cup cake.

slatham
12-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Hard to tell if its not open from lack of snow after the recent warm up, or lift issues, but given I don't recall seeing it ever open this year I have to assume its lift issues :cry: Does anyone know?

To cheer you all up, the latest forecast is for 1-3 tonight, 3-6 (and maybe as much as 10") Wed and what could be a big storm Friday. :D

THINK SNOW

Lostone
12-29-2008, 11:32 AM
North Lynx ran last week.

Today it is all brown.

So it goes... or doesn't. :cry:

noski
12-29-2008, 01:12 PM
To cheer you all up, the latest forecast is for 1-3 tonight, 3-6 (and maybe as much as 10") Wed and what could be a big storm Friday. :D
THINK SNOW

Those amounts for Weds are not on the noski radar I am afraid. I am not looking at anything really to tell about until the weekend.

slatham
12-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the update Lostone - glad that North Lynx is ready to turn. Now lets turn the brown to deep white!!! :wink:

Noski, happy to disagree - to quote Joe Lundberg from Accuweather "Snowfall from this storm will average 3 to 6 inches in a belt from northeastern Montana and central and southern North Dakota to central Minnesota, then across central sections of Wisconsin and Michigan to upstate New York and much of central and northern New England, save for northern Maine." A couple other guys have it too, with a "plus amount" possible in the mountains. Even the NWS Burlington from this AM's discussion had it: "BOTH GFS/NAM ARE SIMILAR
IN TRACKS AND PLACEMENT OF QPF AXIS ACRS OUR FA. GIVEN...QUICK
MOVEMENT OF SYSTEM OVERALL QPF WL BE LESS THAN 0.25"...BUT FLUFF
FACTOR/SNOW RATIO WL RESULT IN ADVISORY CRITERIA SNOWFALL ACRS
OUR FA. THINKING 2 TO 5 INCHES WITH LOCALIZED HIGHER AMOUNTS IN
THE MTNS. BEST 850 TO 700MB ADVECTION ALONG WITH FGEN FORCING IS
ACRS OUR CENTRAL/SOUTHERN ZNS LATE TUES INTO WEDS...ALONG WITH
BEST AVAILABLE MOISTURE AND NOSE OF 25H JET HELPING TO ENHANCE
LIFT. FURTHERMORE...SOUNDINGS SHOW FAVORABLE SNOW GROWTH IN THE
REGION OF GOOD OMEGA/MOISTURE...WHICH WL HELP TO ENHANCE FLAKE
SIZE AND ACCUMULATION RATES. WL MENTION LIKELY TO CAT POPS ATTM
AND WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED A FEW LOCATIONS REACH LOW END WARNING
CRITERIA :D . "

Low end warning in Vermont should be at least 8". So Maybe 10" is too optomistic but it should still be a real storm.

Lets hope it pans out!!! And Friday too!!

noski
12-29-2008, 04:10 PM
I sure hope I am wrong! I can tell you alot better next week.... ;) I stood outside Sunday morning and washed the mud off our snowmachines, in the sunshine- wearing a tee shirt. Unreal. (that's just wrong!)

shadyjay
12-29-2008, 04:44 PM
North Lynx was indeed running, 12/22 I believe, up until 12/25 or 12/26. I ran the top on 12/23, and we were having some issues with it running at slow speed, but running, and still everyone kept on flocking to it. We have not made any snow up there yet this season, that coupled with its exposure = meltdown.

A few good storms to dump a foot+ would do wonders to get us back in shape. We're making snow on several primary trails now and if we get a few storms dumping some good stuff, guns will blaze on the North Lynx area. We just all have to be a little patient....

win
01-01-2009, 03:41 PM
After we get the other parts of the mountain repaired, we will make snow on North Lynx to help up reopen it. I could have gone there instead of Stein's but the tower guns we have there in these temps will allow us to reopen Stein's with only a day of snowmaking.