PDA

View Full Version : Mt Ellen Ticket - Question....

mattlucas
12-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Assuming midwinter, all lifts open etc....

Will a Mt Ellen ticket get you on the slide brook at 3pm-ish if you're staying on the mountain at south, or do you have to wait for the bus?
Seems like it would be a nice courtesy to be able to take the chair, not sure if the lifties have specific instructions about it.

It's not quite all access, you board at north, and it acheives the goal of spreading out traffic, correct?

vonski
12-16-2008, 11:35 AM
I don't think they will let you board to go across with out an all mountain ticket. They have scanners at the lift at least they did in the past. Now if U bribe them or something that may work.

ski_resort_observer
12-16-2008, 11:57 AM
People that have an All Mountain tik/SP pay much more for being able to ski both mountains and use the SBX which connects the two mountains. Sugarbush pays alot of money to offer a free shuttle around the resort, between the two mountains and to get to Warren and Waitsfield which is a wonderful courtesy appreciated by 99% of our guests. It works for them.

summitchallenger
12-16-2008, 12:23 PM
People that have an All Mountain tik/SP pay much more for being able to ski both mountains and use the SBX which connects the two mountains. Sugarbush pays alot of money to offer a free shuttle around the resort, between the two mountains and to get to Warren and Waitsfield which is a wonderful courtesy appreciated by 99% of our guests. It works for them.

And how does this answer the question?

To answer you, plan on riding the bus. The tickets are coded differently and, assuming that they check your pass at Mount Ellen before boarding, which in my experience they sometimes don't do, then you have no dice.

gone.skiing
12-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Never been scanned at SBX, not sure if they could tell by looking at the pass. The problem is that from the top of SBX you can get to the top of Gate House and then skate over to North Lynx or Castlerock connection which gets you to the rest of the mountain for the last hour.

ski_resort_observer
12-16-2008, 12:31 PM

And how does this answer the question?

To answer you, plan on riding the bus. The tickets are coded differently and, assuming that they check your pass at Mount Ellen before boarding, which in my experience they sometimes don't do, then you have no dice.

I thought I did......you pay more for the All mountain tik which includes the use of SBX. A Mt Ellen tik does not. Letting folks use the SBX with a Mt Ellen only tik is not fair to those who have paid the extra moula. The scanning thing doesn't play into the OP at all.

Strat
12-16-2008, 01:05 PM
I've been scanned at Slide Brook at North... I don't take it terribly often but I wouldn't say it's an unusual occurrence...

Tin Woodsman
12-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Doesn't really answer the question. Rather just parrots the party line. I don't think opening up the SBX for the last 30 minutes of its operation would be too bad. That's when you're generally going to have the most traffic between the resorts and by the time you get to South, you don't have much time before the upper mtn lifts close anyway, so you're not getting much of a freebie, if any.

As for SB paying a lot of money for the Mad Bus - they did so before the invention of the Ellen only pass, so that's irrelevant.

win
12-16-2008, 02:47 PM
The answer is no!

mattlucas
12-16-2008, 02:52 PM
yeah, this isn't about skating over to catch a last ride on castlerock...just about easing the burden on the bus between 3-4 pm when it gets crowded with teenagers, commuters, and people exiting slide brook as well as people looking to get from base area to base area. Over the last few years, I have noticed tremendous scanning, even for midmountain lifts like HG or NL and many more people on the mad bus.

My intention would not be to exploit the mountain, this is more about saving time and money with guests and I see 3pm transit to the base area of South being a sunk cost regardless. That said, I do agree that the ride on the slide brook is spectacular enough to charge, but if four people spend 50 bucks each to ski ellen for a day i don't think sending them back to south in the afternoon (particularly if they are checking tickets on mid mountain chairs) as being a bad thing.

Is this clear now? Am i just wrong to feel this way?

I haven't decided yet if i will be purchasing an all mountain ticket or an ellen ticket for this weekend and this might convince me to buy an ellen only ticket one of those days.

HowieT2
12-16-2008, 03:06 PM
yeah, this isn't about skating over to catch a last ride on castlerock...just about easing the burden on the bus between 3-4 pm when it gets crowded with teenagers, commuters, and people exiting slide brook as well as people looking to get from base area to base area. Over the last few years, I have noticed tremendous scanning, even for midmountain lifts like HG or NL and many more people on the mad bus.

My intention would not be to exploit the mountain, this is more about saving time and money with guests and I see 3pm transit to the base area of South being a sunk cost regardless. That said, I do agree that the ride on the slide brook is spectacular enough to charge, but if four people spend 50 bucks each to ski ellen for a day i don't think sending them back to south in the afternoon (particularly if they are checking tickets on mid mountain chairs) as being a bad thing.

Is this clear now? Am i just wrong to feel this way?

I haven't decided yet if i will be purchasing an all mountain ticket or an ellen ticket for this weekend and this might convince me to buy an ellen only ticket one of those days.

If you want to park at LP, drink at LP or ski at LP why would you buy a restricted ME only pass? I totally understand why SB wouldn't let ME only passes on the SBX. Once you take the SBX to LP, you could ski anywhere. The only thing you couldn't do is use the lifts from the base.

vonski
12-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Win, summed it up no! But the comment that if you could ride the SBX back at three and that is why you would only buy an Ellen pass: Is the point that the mountain does not do that as they will loose money that way. Cause what your saying is that I won't buy an all mountain pass cause I can get back to South anyways. Defeats the purpose in my opinion. Also if you catch the bus by 3:00 it is never that crowded at that point.

summitchallenger
12-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Unfortunately, there has to be a line drawn somewhere. You are getting a cheaper ticket and if that means you have to drive the two miles or so, you are still saving money.

boze
12-16-2008, 04:03 PM
The question is a valid one, esp when viewed as a guest services matter.
There's lots of scenarios where one might want to ski ME all day, then return to LP to meet up with friends, family or head back to their LP house / condo / rental. Sure there's the bus option, got that, fine. But for many there is a much preferred / easier way - the SBX.

Opening up the SBX at 330p for all comers during its final loading would pose what issue? I've never encountered a huge line at that time, and the chair is spinning & manned - sunk costs. If there is a crowd then loading would be on a space-available basis (but maybe that's too much training / logistics). Anyway, by the time the ME guests disembark on the LP side, around 345p, the mid-mtn lifts at LP will be closed. And it's much more likely some of these folks would stop off at Gatehouse / CR pub and may spend a few bucks...I doubt any on the bus would do the same.

So, it's about serving the guests, reasonable acoommodations, and not making this into some class warfare of ME tix/passes vs All access tix/passes. There's hardly a comparison to the amount of terrain the all access folks enjoy, and offering very limited late-day access to the SBX for ME tix is hardly going to dillute the overall value of the all access tix. :roll:

Yard Sale
12-16-2008, 04:27 PM
The question is a valid one, esp when viewed as a guest services matter.
There's lots of scenarios where one might want to ski ME all day, then return to LP to meet up with friends, family or head back to their LP house / condo / rental. Sure there's the bus option, got that, fine. But for many there is a much preferred / easier way - the SBX.

Opening up the SBX at 330p for all comers during its final loading would pose what issue? I've never encountered a huge line at that time, and the chair is spinning & manned - sunk costs. If there is a crowd then loading would be on a space-available basis (but maybe that's too much training / logistics). Anyway, by the time the ME guests disembark on the LP side, around 345p, the mid-mtn lifts at LP will be closed. And it's much more likely some of these folks would stop off at Gatehouse / CR pub and may spend a few bucks...I doubt any on the bus would do the same.

So, it's about serving the guests, reasonable acoommodations, and not making this into some class warfare of ME tix/passes vs All access tix/passes. There's hardly a comparison to the amount of terrain the all access folks enjoy, and offering very limited late-day access to the SBX for ME tix is hardly going to dillute the overall value of the all access tix. :roll:

Why not open all the lifts at 3:30 free of charge? They can't possibly sell tickets at that hour anyway. The lifts running anyway. Maybe this good will would prompt the additional sale of a beer or a t-shirt.

Guest service and reasonable accomodation are service items that are paid for. Even "complementary" services are also typically paid for but the cost is hidden. You get what you pay for.

I imagine that the principle might be that offering open an lift policy would diminish the value of the full price ticket.

mattlucas
12-16-2008, 05:01 PM
I imagine that the principle might be that offering open an lift policy would diminish the value of the full price ticket.

I don't think moving people late in the day really matters when you can't ride upper mountain lifts anyway, and I've already stated that my pass has been checked recently on upper chairs. Maybe it would suck if some ten year old got separated from his parents or something, but that's a personal responsibility issue yet again.

Win, thank you for the answer even if it isn't one I agree with.....I'll just have to keep making suggestions anyway!

Furthermore, Sugarbush is still my favorite place and it will be great if one day I can afford a pass and live in Vermont so all these issues can go away.
Until then, I'm paying full freight anyway!

ski_resort_observer
12-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Guest service many times is a matter of perspective. Letting ME only pass folks to use the SBX after maybe 3:30 is great for the ME only pass/tik holders but for the All Mountain folks it would be anti-guest service. Not only the value part but in the increased lines that would occur.

As pointed out by others if everyone just used it to just go down to the LP base it might work but if you believe that some won't try to get on North Lynx or ski quickly down to Castlerock then you don't understand human nature.

Tin Woodsman
12-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Guest service many times is a matter of perspective. Letting ME only pass folks to use the SBX after maybe 3:30 is great for the ME only pass/tik holders but for the All Mountain folks it would be anti-guest service. Not only the value part but in the increased lines that would occur.

As pointed out by others if everyone just used it to just go down to the LP base it might work but if you believe that some won't try to get on North Lynx or ski quickly down to Castlerock then you don't understand human nature.
Please - even on the busiest of holidays and weekends, there are no lines at 3:40 on any lift. Since Nl and CR close at 3:45, it would take a pretty dedicated scoundrel to wait until the 3:30 bell, jump on the SBX, and make it to CR in time. I suppose there is a possibility that NL sees its skier total post-3:00 increase from 25 to 28. Truly a guest services fiasco.

Go Figure
12-16-2008, 08:08 PM
You rode the bus to Ellen in the morning, ride it back at the end of your day. Or drive your car there and back at your leisure.

Lostone
12-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Last chair on SBX = 3:15. Last chair on North Lynx, Castlerock and Heaven's Gate = 3:45.

There are lots of things that can be changed to make it possible for people skiing North to take the SBX to South, but why should they?

You are buying a restricted pass at a discounted price. Accept the restrictions or buy the full price pass.

But I think Win put it much more succinctly. :wink:

freeheel_skier
12-16-2008, 09:07 PM
So what you are telling me is...

I can't use my ME pass to ride the sbx and apres @ Castlerock Pub or Timbers and take the mad bus back to ME? :roll: :lol:

edit: riding the sbx is more convienent why not charge for it....a one ride fee?

Tin Woodsman
12-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Last chair on SBX = 3:15. Last chair on North Lynx, Castlerock and Heaven's Gate = 3:45.

There are lots of things that can be changed to make it possible for people skiing North to take the SBX to South, but why should they?

You are buying a restricted pass at a discounted price. Accept the restrictions or buy the full price pass.

That timing makes it tougher, but please spare me the "discounted/restricted pass" nonsense. The only reason someone brought it up was to see if there was a way to get back to LP at the end of the day from ME. This would have a variety of benefits like curtailing vehicle usage, opening up more space on late day shuttles and possibly increasing the number of patrons at the CR Pub. The obvious pitfall is if people used this as an opportunity to take advantage of the full priced skiing at both LP and ME - no one is advocating that or suggesting it's even a good thing, so let's stop arguing against a straw man.

If the SBX is running, that's a sunk cost, so if you could find a way to avoid people trying to scam the system, you'd be hard pressed to come up with a legitimate downside. Regardless, in light of the timing Lostone provided, it's a dead issue unless SB is going to start putting ticket checkers on all uper mtn lifts when SBX is open, and that's silly.

HowieT2
12-16-2008, 09:22 PM

That timing makes it tougher, but please spare me the "discounted/restricted pass" nonsense. The only reason someone brought it up was to see if there was a way to get back to LP at the end of the day from ME. This would have a variety of benefits like curtailing vehicle usage, opening up more space on late day shuttles and possibly increasing the number of patrons at the CR Pub. The obvious pitfall is if people used this as an opportunity to take advantage of the full priced skiing at both LP and ME - no one is advocating that or suggesting it's even a good thing, so let's stop arguing against a straw man.

If the SBX is running, that's a sunk cost, so if you could find a way to avoid people trying to scam the system, you'd be hard pressed to come up with a legitimate downside. Regardless, in light of the timing Lostone provided, it's a dead issue unless SB is going to start putting ticket checkers on all uper mtn lifts when SBX is open, and that's silly.

I assume the reason the SBX stops at 3:15 is safety??? don't want to have riders up there if something goes wrong and then have to do an evacuation in the dark.

mattlucas
12-16-2008, 09:34 PM
I just know I am going to ski ME and want to stay longer than my ride.

If the difference in tickets is $20 and full day of skiing LP is 8 hours....that's 2.50 an hour extra for the privilege of skiing LP.
So... if you put a metrocard reader at the SBX on Ellen so I can get home without taking the bus does my pay per ride cover one transfer to Castlerock? :lol:

Seriously, I feel for the Mt Ellen people that might want to Apres ski, whereas I just want to go home. However, I am not trying to antagonize the mountain I am simply expressing my point of view. You can't win an argument on an internet message board anyway!

Tin Woodsman
12-17-2008, 07:42 AM
However, I am not trying to antagonize the mountain I am simply expressing my point of view. You can't win an argument on an internet message board anyway!
Tell that to all the people splayed out comfortably in the Tin Woodsman annex of the CR Pub this winter. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Hawk
12-17-2008, 07:52 AM
However, I am not trying to antagonize the mountain I am simply expressing my point of view. You can't win an argument on an internet message board anyway!
Tell that to all the people splayed out comfortably in the Tin Woodsman annex of the CR Pub this winter. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Tinny, you crack me up.... :lol: So when's the dedication. :wink:

Tin Woodsman
12-17-2008, 09:19 AM

Thanks. I'll be here all week.

Try the veal.

Yard Sale
12-17-2008, 09:44 AM

Thanks. I'll be here all week.

Try the veal.

What's the over/under on complaints . . . I mean opinions and ideas about how to improve the new Woodsman's Annex?

shadyjay
12-17-2008, 10:51 AM
I just know I am going to ski ME and want to stay longer than my ride.

If the difference in tickets is $20 and full day of skiing LP is 8 hours....that's 2.50 an hour extra for the privilege of skiing LP.
So... if you put a metrocard reader at the SBX on Ellen so I can get home without taking the bus does my pay per ride cover one transfer to Castlerock? :lol:

Seriously, I feel for the Mt Ellen people that might want to Apres ski, whereas I just want to go home. However, I am not trying to antagonize the mountain I am simply expressing my point of view. You can't win an argument on an internet message board anyway!

I was thinking to myself when I was in NYC this past weekend... I must be the only full-time year-round Vermont resident with a Metrocard next to a VT driver's license in their wallet! And even after putting some more $ on it this wknd, its still got some $2.10 left. Woohooo.... that gives me one ride on the SBX, right?
:D :D :D

Tin Woodsman
12-17-2008, 12:24 PM
What's the over/under on complaints . . . I mean opinions and ideas about how to improve the new Woodsman's Annex?
I'll set the line at 4.5

Dawn Patrol
12-17-2008, 01:09 PM
On a somewhat related note, I pretty much disagree with, or find completely silly/useless, every suggestion mattlucas has made.... Sorry...

mattlucas
12-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Really? Surely we must have some common ground, I've made so many suggestions!

the mattlucas platform:

webcams
SBX back to south after 3pm
reporting snowfall from when it starts to fly
getting tunes made at Ski Sharp, boots done at Alpine Options
treating customers *generously* when windholds destroy their whole day
renaming generic trails at north to their original cool names
roping off areas high up at south that see heavy use for tree regeneration
combining the SB / MRG messageboards because no one reads the MRG one
not getting speeding tickets in brandon
buying everyone free beers if I ever own a ski resort

8)

freeheel_skier
12-17-2008, 01:30 PM

the mattlucas platform:

8)

I like this one. Let me know where/when your resort is and I will take you up on it! :wink:

mattlucas
12-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks man, I'm hoping even the guy who *threw out* :roll: flatbread can get down with that.

Dawn Patrol
12-17-2008, 02:13 PM

the mattlucas platform:

webcams

8)

As far as SBX goes, it should never have been put up. It infact, should be torn down and an attempt made to regain skiing privileges. Almost any running of that lift is a waste. I've heard it has 4% ridership...

I won't delve into the rest to avoid getting OT, but I do seem to remember you initially suggesting we state preseason snowfalls as part of the season total...

mattlucas
12-17-2008, 02:27 PM
yeah, that's on my list.

here is my reasoning: Some of the snow fell from the sky that allowed you to open paradise and other natural snow trails when you did BEFORE the lifts ever turned once. In my opinion, it's silly not to count that in the total. In a low elevation place like Vermont where thaws do occur, the total snowfall has even less correlation to the snowpack than it does somewhere like Alaska. But because NOT despite the crazy weather, you can count on getting snowfall from October to May that might be ski inducing.

Look, I'm not a troll. I'm just a skier like everyone else here that wishes they were skiing when they're instead sitting at a computer. Hopefully my opinions
will not preclude you from having a good time if we ever have to share a ride up the hill. Just don't talk about the Red Sox. :wink:

Hawk
12-17-2008, 02:28 PM

the mattlucas platform:

webcams

8)

As far as SBX goes, it should never have been put up. It infact, should be torn down and an attempt made to regain skiing privileges. Almost any running of that lift is a waste. I've heard it has 4% ridership...

I won't delve into the rest to avoid getting OT, but I do seem to remember you initially suggesting we state preseason snowfalls as part of the season total...

What skiing privileges are we going to regain? There are no restrictions in slidebrook. Unless you are refering to something else.
As for tearing it down, that would cost money too. Anyway I would hate to see it go. It is after all, the longest high speed quad in the world.

mattlucas
12-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Dawn Patrol,

If you mean skiing privileges as in Lift Serve in Slide Brook, that will never happen. Between 1981 and 1996 every attempt was made and by the end of it,
slide brook was declared prime black bear habitat to remain forever wild. The only way the SBX was allowed was because ASC traded the feds bits and pieces of
private land adjacent to federal and state forest. I can't remember where.

But believe me, they tried and tried to connect the two if that's what you're asking about.

summitchallenger
12-17-2008, 02:44 PM
This conversation continues?

ski_resort_observer
12-17-2008, 04:36 PM
I think several planks of your platform are very worthwhile and deserves discussion. I like this one

maybe during Mellons birthday plus someone playing bagpipes would start the day, letting everyone know that the GMX has started spinning.

jwt
12-17-2008, 10:16 PM
great thought SRO, and the name change back to Scotch Mist and others, well, that's a no brainer. Classy, earthy, and original. A little history of the names of the mountains would be nice too - From General Stark on up to Mt Abraham. All ( I think) American history related.

Let's call them by their original names ANYWAY, by years end, the whole list will know what's what.

Cruiser? C'mon, we are far better than that.

Strat
12-18-2008, 12:39 AM
great thought SRO, and the name change back to Scotch Mist and others, well, that's a no brainer. Classy, earthy, and original. A little history of the names of the mountains would be nice too - From General Stark on up to Mt Abraham. All ( I think) American history related.

Let's call them by their original names ANYWAY, by years end, the whole list will know what's what.

Cruiser? C'mon, we are far better than that.
I found this several years ago on Virtual Vermont.com...
"Lincoln Mountain is made up of five peaks, all at more than 3,800 feet: Lincoln Peak, Cutts Peak, Mount Ellen, Mount Abraham, Nancy Hanks Peak. Seeing the name Lincoln Mountain and then Mount Abraham and Nancy Hanks Peak, strangers assume with considerable justice that these names were given to honor President Abraham Lincoln and his mother. Not so: the mountain received its name from the fact that this section of Warren was once part of Lincoln town in Addison County to the west (chartered in 1780). It was only later that the Abraham and Nancy Hanks elevations were named as a play on the Lincoln name and its associations. The highest point on Lincoln Mountain is known as Mount Ellen, named in the 1920's for Ellen Douglas, the heroine of Sir Walter Scott's "Lady of the Lake," by some of the young people working on the Long Trail."

jwt
12-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Thanks Strat, I had read a different take - will have to look it up. That is very interesting yet not as connected to the tyoe of American history as I expected.

I've got a couple of Vermont Life magazines at the house that I think tells a slightly different story. I'll try to look at that this weekend but snow may keep me rather busy - both driving and skiing!

Merry Christmas!

Dawn Patrol
12-18-2008, 03:08 PM
I really think running SBX at all is basically the definition of excess. Is this the kind of image we want to portray? Sure 96 out of 100 chairs go unriden, but hey, we're Americans and we don't care how much it costs or how much electricity it uses. Damn the environment, I don't want to wait 15 minutes for a bus!

mattlucas
12-18-2008, 03:31 PM
FWIW, I basically agree with what dawn patrol said about SBX. It probably isn't worth running SBX or redundant lifts like VH outside of weekends or busier weeks. But, if there is a way to make a lift or area more useful it should be explored.

MntMan4Bush
12-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Sorry. I just finished up clubbing some baby seals and had to put a new polish on my Sea Turtle coffee table that I just dusted off with my Bald Eagle father duster. It's getting tough to see my monitor. Excuse me while I turn up the ole whale blubber lantern. Right whale blubber burns clean and efficiently I hear.

So now you know where I stand on environmental issues because I like the SBX. Seriously though the SBX is a nice link between the two mountains and increases the usable terrain for skiers who buy an all mountain pass. You couldn't sell an all mountain pass and expect everyone to jump on the bus. I take the SBX quite a bit when I want to escape crowds on Saturdays, although truthfully crowds aren't really much of an issue at the Bush compared to other mountains. Perhaps the SBX has something to do with it. In any event we're luck the ASC decide to throw money at the mountain and we should take advantage of it.

Yard Sale
12-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Sorry. I just finished up clubbing some baby seals and had to put a new polish on my Sea Turtle coffee table that I just dusted off with my Bald Eagle father duster. It's getting tough to see my monitor. Excuse me while I turn up the ole whale blubber lantern. Right whale blubber burns clean and efficiently I hear.

So now you know where I stand on environmental issues because I like the SBX. Seriously though the SBX is a nice link between the two mountains and increases the usable terrain for skiers who buy an all mountain pass. You couldn't sell an all mountain pass and expect everyone to jump on the bus. I take the SBX quite a bit when I want to escape crowds on Saturdays, although truthfully crowds aren't really much of an issue at the Bush compared to other mountains. Perhaps the SBX has something to do with it. In any event we're luck the ASC decide to throw money at the mountain and we should take advantage of it.

While I can't condone MM4B's use of endagered species for decorating, I do concur with his analysis of the SBX. While it may appear to some to be a unnessecary luxury. It is an essential asset to the mountain.

Hawk
12-18-2008, 05:19 PM
I really think running SBX at all is basically the definition of excess. Is this the kind of image we want to portray? Sure 96 out of 100 chairs go unriden, but hey, we're Americans and we don't care how much it costs or how much electricity it uses. Damn the environment, I don't want to wait 15 minutes for a bus!

Your right. I also thought it was a bit excessive when they built it. I thought why spend all that money just to connect the mountains. But recently I have found myself using it quite a bit. During mid winter weekends, my wife and I will ski Lincoln Peak until the lines build. Then we hit Slide Brook down to the bus, cross the street and catch to bus to Ellen. We spend the rest of the day at Ellen and then hit the SBX home at 3:15. It a pretty fun day. :wink:

Lostone
12-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Sure 96 out of 100 chairs go unriden

Remember that you should figure the most crowded lifts at 50% usage, in your calculations. The chairs coming down have nobody on them. This is a bi-directional lift, so it looks worse.