PDA

View Full Version : North Lynx

Spartan82
12-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Anyone else wonder why they did not open the North Lynx chair this weekend? I saw a few patrollers on the bottom of Birch Run Saturday morning. There certainly seemed to be enough snow up there to open.

vonski
12-14-2008, 10:10 PM
My guess! Don't want to allow any easy access to slidebrook! The bus is not running yet. See if it opens next weekend.

Hawk
12-15-2008, 07:41 AM
My guess! Don't want to allow any easy access to slidebrook! The bus is not running yet. See if it opens next weekend.

I think that is very accurate. It is also going to be interesting to see how the road out of slidebrook will shake out this winter with the new house.

Treeskier
12-15-2008, 07:48 AM
I understand that the inspector who was to inspect North Lynx Friday skunked us again this year and went to a different MT instead of following his schedule. Hopefully he gets back on track and inspects North Lynx ASAP. I also understand that many spots in the valley where back to grass after last Wed.'s rain. Since the bottom of Slidebrook is our lowest elevation it concerns me that there probably is not enough cover.

freeheel_skier
12-15-2008, 09:18 AM
I also understand that many spots in the valley where back to grass after last Wed.'s rain. Since the bottom of Slidebrook is our lowest elevation it concerns me that there probably is not enough cover.

Yes. Someone will ski it though. :lol:

Hawk
12-15-2008, 09:47 AM
I also understand that many spots in the valley where back to grass after last Wed.'s rain. Since the bottom of Slidebrook is our lowest elevation it concerns me that there probably is not enough cover.

Should be "Skied". Past tense.

freeheel_skier
12-15-2008, 10:29 AM

:roll:

Hawk
12-15-2008, 10:58 AM

Not I..... but I heard the war storys.

HowieT2
12-15-2008, 11:04 AM
I understand that the inspector who was to inspect North Lynx Friday skunked us again this year and went to a different MT instead of following his schedule. Hopefully he gets back on track and inspects North Lynx ASAP. I also understand that many spots in the valley where back to grass after last Wed.'s rain. Since the bottom of Slidebrook is our lowest elevation it concerns me that there probably is not enough cover.

That sounds more plausible then the slidebrook theory since they could just rope off the entrance.

mattlucas
12-15-2008, 11:12 AM
If the reason was to prevent people from going into slidebrook, I find that to be a little inexcusable. Personal responsibility has disintegrated to nothing if buffoons can get mad at a resort because they decided to jump into a huge wilderness just because it was ahead of you when you got off the lift. There is such a huge difference between skiing birch run and jumping into slidebrook. This is the kind of thing I would shake my head at had i been up. Lower elevation, rare windholds, and a great place to warm up before you move onto other things OR take a few sunny laps before calling it a day.

If it was the grinch inspector, there isn't much to say.

MntMan4Bush
12-15-2008, 11:40 AM
I agree that if it was due to Slidebrook a rope and crossed stakes should have been a sufficient deterrent if the lack of snow at lower elevations and common sense wasn't enough.

So I would think it might likely be the inspector theory. I have a general question regarding this. Can the inspector only come during the ski season when a resort is functioning and the season started or X days in advance (Say 15 days) of a lift being opened? I ask because I know this has happened in the past and I'm always curious why the inspector wasn't called or brought in in October or November to view all the lifts in anticipation they would be opened for the season. Of course it may also be the inspector's schedule that is an issue if they are the only one for all of New England or something like that, but regardless something I've wondered about for a while. I.e. why are we waiting until now to request and inspection.

win
12-15-2008, 04:53 PM
The reason is that is has not yet been inspected. The one Tram inspector for Northern Vermont was scheduled to be here Friday and blew us off for another resort. He is rescheduled for Wednesday.

Remember that we have 16 lifts and each has summer maintenance, so you do maintenance and schedule inspection in order of the opening of various lifts. North Lynx and Slidebrook will normally be the last to open so they will be the last to be inspected.

Maintenance begins when the resort closes in the spring and continues right up to opening day.

Spartan82
12-15-2008, 05:10 PM
There you have it. A definitive answer. Thanks.

random_ski_guy
12-15-2008, 11:01 PM

Not I..... but I heard the war storys.

Isn't it "stories" rather than "storys?" Ordinarily I ignore making such posts, but considering its a correction for a corrector.... :)

Hawk
12-16-2008, 07:35 AM
You are right. Dam that spell check. :wink:

Lostone
12-16-2008, 08:19 AM
Ordinarily I ignore making such posts, but considering its a correction for a corrector.... :)

I think you missed the point of the tense correction. :wink:

MntMan4Bush
12-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Just a quick follow up question because I'm not sure I understand. Does a lift need to be opened within a certain number of days after inspection or else it will need re-inspection? I ask because I'm wondering why the all lifts are not inspected at the same time prior to the season beginning so they can be opened up when needed without relying on the inspector during the actual ski season itself. Or if not all together at least sooner then a week before a planned opening.

It just seems to me this has happened before, maybe last season if I remember correctly. If we had the lifts inspected sooner then or before the season began we wouldn't have to wait for an inspector to make us time. Or it seems in this case to not blow us off. Is there a reason he chooses to do this to us? Have we pissed him off or something? Does he need proper palm greasing and he's holding us over the coals. Should we send him a holiday Strip-O-Gram with Angelina Jolie carried on the shoulders of two midgets?

Just trying to understand what's going on is all.

Thanks

BushMogulMaster
12-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Just to reiterate what Win pointed out... there is ONE lift inspector for all of the areas in N VT. He is very very much in demand this time of year. Win also made it clear that inspections are scheduled based on order of opening. North Lynx generally isn't spinning this early, so the scheduled inspection would normally be fine.

Inspections aren't exactly quick and easy, either. He has a lot to look at for each lift, and a lot of lifts to look at.

All good things come to those who wait.........

Think Snow!

MntMan4Bush
12-16-2008, 03:29 PM
I guess that's kind of my point. If it's busy at this time of year to inspect then why can't they inspect sooner, maybe before the season begins? I'm just asking because I'm curious why. If the answer is that a lift must be operational and running with X days of inspection or else it needs re-inspection then that I completely get. Otherwise why are we waiting until last minute to get an appointment in. It could have been done in September or October. The only reason I bring this up as a topic is because I remember the same thing happening last year and wondered the same thing.

vonski
12-16-2008, 03:42 PM
I also recall Win saying that it is based on the mountains maintenance schedule. Lot to be done around the mountain and on the lift maintenance. So, perhaps it does fit in with the mountains schedule as per their maintenance plan. Lets just hope the same computer problems don't plague Northridge the same as last year and with Bravo this year. To me it sounds like a Dopplemayer conspiracy. Like some one else said good job security for the programmer.

BushMogulMaster
12-16-2008, 03:55 PM
I guess that's kind of my point. If it's busy at this time of year to inspect then why can't they inspect sooner, maybe before the season begins? I'm just asking because I'm curious why. If the answer is that a lift must be operational and running with X days of inspection or else it needs re-inspection then that I completely get. Otherwise why are we waiting until last minute to get an appointment in. It could have been done in September or October. The only reason I bring this up as a topic is because I remember the same thing happening last year and wondered the same thing.

Maintenance.

Don't think that inspections aren't scheduled until last minute... you could call in April and maybe not even fit into the schedule until December. I don't know when our inspections were scheduled, but it usually comes down to this: whenever maintenance will be complete and the inspector is available.

random_ski_guy
12-16-2008, 06:40 PM
Ordinarily I ignore making such posts, but considering its a correction for a corrector.... :)

I think you missed the point of the tense correction. :wink:

Yes, I guess I did indeed. Wait, don't tell me the point, I want to sit and stew it over some more. :wink: