PDA

View Full Version : The Not-So Bravo Lift????

summitchallenger
12-14-2008, 06:34 PM
What was the deal with Bravo this weekend? Down yesterday for about an hour...and it went down again today on a day when it was very busy and filled with a few tour busses of new SB skiers and riders. Not a good weekend (not that there is ever one) for it to go down.

HowieT2
12-14-2008, 09:39 PM
What was the deal with Bravo this weekend? Down yesterday for about an hour...and it went down again today on a day when it was very busy and filled with a few tour busses of new SB skiers and riders. Not a good weekend (not that there is ever one) for it to go down.

seriously. what is the deal? ended my day today.
Great weekend. The party was awesome. definitely the kind of thing we should see more often like for new years eve.

skibum1321
12-14-2008, 10:55 PM
The cables needed to be de-iced yesterday. I must have left before it went down today, so I'm not sure about that one.

BushMogulMaster
12-14-2008, 11:29 PM
It's a North American-built Doppelmayr. What do you expect? :wink:

I'm a Poma guy myself. I'll take an L-POA over an American Dopp any day. Now Euro Dopps with Agamatic grips... that's another story entirely!

HowieT2
12-15-2008, 07:20 AM
It's a North American-built Doppelmayr. What do you expect? :wink:

I'm a Poma guy myself. I'll take an L-POA over an American Dopp any day. Now Euro Dopps with Agamatic grips... that's another story entirely!

It's hard for me to compare since the vast majority of my skiing is done at SB, but it does seem the Super Bravo is down for mechanical reasons an inordinate amount of time. Am I correct or is it normal? If it is, does it need to be to be maintained better or replaced?
Good thing the VH was running (wouldn't it be nice to have that be a high speed chair).

vonski
12-15-2008, 07:29 AM
Skated to Gate house when the lift broke and over to Castlerock. There was no line at all at the Rock. I think all them bus loads had no idea how to get across the reverse traverse from Valley house. Either that or everyone left. I too left by 2:15 as early season runs on the rock take a lot out of me and my son. But that is two Sundays now cut short. Hoping the Northridge express runs nicely at north next weekend.

Hawk
12-15-2008, 07:56 AM
Spoke to Win and others on Saturday and Sunday. They were on the scene and very up front with the info.

Saturday was mostly a spacing problem with the chairs. This commonly happens to all high speed lifts that experience icing and not isolated to our lift. It was an hour and then we were all set.

Sunday was about the wind. High speed lifts have many different sensors that trigger shutdowns and high winds are notoriusly an issue. Again this is not isolated to our mountain and lifts. You did feel the wind right?

All in all nothing that the mountain could realy do to make it better. I have to say that we had a great weekend of Skiing. :)

summitchallenger
12-15-2008, 08:23 AM
Figured it was ice and then wind. It is too bad....oh well, can't control the weather and it was great to have Valley House as an option.

gone.skiing
12-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Sunday was about the wind. High speed lifts have many different sensors that trigger shutdowns and high winds are notoriusly an issue. Again this is not isolated to our mountain and lifts. You did feel the wind right?

At 2:45 I got a "it is a mechanical issue, they know what it is and should be about 45 minutes" from one of the ambassadors in front of the Bravo. Same thing that my kids coach got an hour before that. The lift never ran, we left at 4:20. YMMV.

Hawk
12-15-2008, 09:45 AM
You know I can't comment on that late in the day because I wasn't at Bravo then. I do know that lift ops said that it was a sensor problem brought on by wind and/or Ice. The person I talked to is a friend and had no reason to lie for what it's worth.

Whatever, I had a great day and avoided the lines mostly. :wink:

boze
12-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Saw Bravo out of commission ~ 145p Sunday and that ended my day (it was close to time for me to pack it in anyway) from an othewise stellar weekend. I'm no armchair lift jock but the wind seems an odd reason as it died down by that point, and didn't start blowing again until we were packing the car at SnowCreek ~ 3p. It's diesel was spewing, the lift was spinning albeit very slowly at 145p just not taking any passengers. The Ambassador at the corral entry stated it was a mechanical, maybe that meant a sensor of some type. Whatever. Just tell me where I can score a season pass on the new SnoCat 'bus' :wink:

win
12-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Icing was the issue on Saturday. As most of you know, a lift maintenance guys worst nightmare. Fortunately, we were on the line of the storm and our icing was minimal compared with what happened south of us.

Sunday was totally different issue. We have run into a software problem with Dopplemayr's operating system and it has us stymied for the moment. We had it running again late in the day and kept it running for several hours, but this morning the problem occurred again, so we have been working on it all day with the fellow from Dopplemayr who created the program. Hopfeully, we will have the problem identified and solved shortly.

John Walden
12-15-2008, 04:53 PM
I heard that K-Mart down the street had some serious lift problems over the weekend. Too bad for them. I had guests up who hadn't been to Sugarbush since Chan Weller was GM. They were so impressed to what has happened to the mountain.

boze
12-15-2008, 05:03 PM
... the fellow from Dopplemayr who created the program. Hopfeully, we will have the problem identified and solved shortly.

Apparently that Dopplemayr programmer previously worked at Microsoft... :roll:

TimKeogh
12-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Man - I want to be the Dopplemayr programmer...

Talk about job security! Pay the man BIG $$$

groomer
12-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Chan was actually the marketing manager and one of the nicest people on earth. My dad was the gm at the time.

vonski
12-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Wasn't there Software problems last year with Northridge?

Spartan82
12-15-2008, 09:30 PM
I think you are correct. There was some sort of software issue and it was close to Christmas before they worked it out.

John Walden
12-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Groomer you are right about Chan. My wife's best friend was his secretary back then and her husband was on the ski patrol at that time. It was nice for my wife seeing him at the movie on Friday night.

win
12-16-2008, 02:49 PM
He was here today and it looks like it will be running tomorrow am!

We are closing Castlerock tomorrow for some maintenance there. A good day to do it since it is bullet proof right now. I think with the snow tomorrow it should be a lot better on Thursday.