PDA

View Full Version : Happy 50th, Sugarbush!

BushMogulMaster
12-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Just felt inclined to take a second and wish our favorite resort a happy 50th! Of course, the actual date isn't until 12/25, but with this weekend's celebrations, I think it's appropriate to mention now.

The history of our mountains is so rich, so unique, and so very exciting. Even through the more "difficult" periods (ASC), Sugarbush has been able to bounce back and prove to the world (I.E., Today Show) that it truly is Better Here. I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be right now. Sugarbush is what got me into the ski industry. Following my dad around the hill, riding in snowcats, climbing up into lift motor rooms, making little adjustments to the water hydrants, even shoveling off the Mt. Ellen stairs! If it weren't for Sugarbush, I would have likely taken a very different career path. So while I am relatively new to the resort (4 years or so, now), I have made a point to really get to know the heritage, history, and people who have made this resort so great. From Sara and Damon Gadd and Jack Murphy, right through to Win Smith and Summit Ventures.

Sugarbush is one of those few places that just feels right. I grew up in central Pennsylvania, and lived there for about 14 years in all (plus a couple years at Killington as a young child). Not more than a few weeks after moving to the Valley, I knew I was home. I have since spent time in Colorado at some of the world's most renowned resorts: Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Steamboat, Winter Park, Copper Mountain. But here I am again, back at home. I am at the mountain every day, either skiing, pounding nails, or in a snowcat. I hope to spend many years to come at this great ski resort, and foresee a fantastic future leading to another 50 years of the best skiing in the East!

Thank you to all (living, and deceased) who have made this resort what it is. A special thank you to Win and his team for pulling Sugarbush out of the deep pit that ASC allowed it to fall into, and for bringing it back to the top. #3 this year in Ski Magazine. Only a matter of time before we are at #1, where we belong.

Here's to Sara, Damon, and Jack, (and even Walt), who had a dream and started it all. Here's to Win, who has made Sugarbush Better and Better every year. Here's to the lifties who work hard every day doing a job that is often just slightly less than invigorating. Here's to the guys out shoveling snow so that we can all get to the lodge. Here's to the guys in the parking lot maintaining order. Here's to the snowmakers who work their asses off 12 hours straight to lay down snow and patch up the holes. Here's to the groomers who lay down that Sugarbush corduroy and clean up after the melt-downs. Here's to the F&B crew who keep us well fed and hydrated ( :) ). Here's to the instructors who help us Be Better on the snow. Here's to the patrollers who not only save lives, but do all the monotonous daily trail work (signs, tower pads, boo, foot packing, etc.) to keep the mountain safe and fun. Here's to the winter facilities and roads crew that keeps the resort in tip-top shape. Here's to the summer facilities crew that pieces everything back together and gets the resort ready for another ski season. Here's to the summer ops crew who maintain the bike trails, brush the clay courts, mow the greens, and teach the lessons. Here's to the IT crew that runs around troubleshooting and deploying the equipment and software that so much assist the operation. Here's to the lodging crew who give us a comfortable, luxurious place to rest after a long day on the hill. Here's to the administrative team behind-the-scenes who keep the records, write the checks, market the resort, and make this a sustainable business. Here's to the executive team that leads the resort into the future with new ideas and operational plans. Here's to all of the managers and supervisors who make the Sugarbush Team a cohesive and productive group.

HERE'S TO SUGARBUSH: MAY SHE LIVE ON TO PROVIDE ANOTHER 50 YEARS OF HER UNPARALLELED MOUNTAIN EXPERIENCE!

groomer
12-12-2008, 02:38 AM
WORD!

shadyjay
12-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Seconded.... Happy Birthday Sugarbush!!!

and thanks to all for years of adventures, excitement, advancement, etc.... here's to many many more!

Jay

Strat
12-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Very nice little sermon BMM
Here here!

Lostone
12-13-2008, 09:03 AM
A ladi offering a birthday toast. 8)

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/Assorted_Pix/tIMG_2791c_m.jpg

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/Assorted_Pix/tIMG_2792m_c.jpg

boze
12-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Happy 50th!
The past and present Sugarbush team must be thrilled, and that's very well-deserved.
Thanks so much for your stewardship and passion, and helping make the connection personal.

Oh, and today....today was outstanding. Now that's high style!