PDA

View Full Version : Jumping the gun on Mt. Ellen opening.

vonski
12-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Any one can answer, but Bushmogulmaster may have the most knowledge on this topic being a groomer and all and having family relations.

So, what is the status of the Mount Ellen bumpskiing as we saw in an earlier post? I have not seen any additional information about this on the Sugarbush site.

Also, what are the plans on grooming for opening day. Did they groom out the trails that had snow making after the process got done?

In other words, did they groom Elbow so that it is smooth and all the natural is just sitting on top?, or have they waited to groom and will groom it before opening day next week.

Have they developed a master grooming plan yet. So, we know what is going to get groomed and what is not going to be this year. Or will it be the same status quo as in past with just some subtle differences?

Where are the beginner bumps going to be? Are we going to seed some bumbs like Snokemo on the low pitch terrain?

BushMogulMaster
12-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Any one can answer, but Bushmogulmaster may have the most knowledge on this topic being a groomer and all and having family relations.

So, what is the status of the Mount Ellen bumpskiing as we saw in an earlier post? I have not seen any additional information about this on the Sugarbush site.

Also, what are the plans on grooming for opening day. Did they groom out the trails that had snow making after the process got done?

In other words, did they groom Elbow so that it is smooth and all the natural is just sitting on top?, or have they waited to groom and will groom it before opening day next week.

Have they developed a master grooming plan yet. So, we know what is going to get groomed and what is not going to be this year. Or will it be the same status quo as in past with just some subtle differences?

Where are the beginner bumps going to be? Are we going to seed some bumbs like Snokemo on the low pitch terrain?

Let me just answer some basic questions, as I am not really in a position to speak too much about details. The plan to focus on moguls and natural terrain remains as it was written about. However, the ENTIRE mountain is not being devoted solely to bumps (as was incorrectly stated in the Boston Globe recently). Only some additional key portions that will foster learning. Lower angle moguls are the key to teaching moguls, and to getting otherwise disinterested recreational skiers to realize the challenge and fun found in the bumps.

Elbow/Rim Run/Mainstream/Straight Shot will be groomed prior to opening. I only know that because I'll be up there in a cat grooming it! :D Lots of snow is still being made, and there are naturally still some piles to push around. It will be all set for next week's opening.

Don't expect to see many cat-built bumps, but some well-formed lines may be skied in (marking flags and 20 good skiers will make perfect lines pretty quick). Perhaps some other learning features beyond just bumps. We'll see.

Plenty of groomers will still be around. Rim Run, Elbow, Cruiser, Inverness... just to name the big ones. But I imagine you'll see some pockets of bumps here and there, and a couple of specific intermediate runs will be bumps.

I don't want to overstep my bounds and get into details. I'll see if I can get you some more official word/info pretty quick.

summitchallenger
12-11-2008, 06:40 PM
The Boston Globe got something wrong? No, never! I recall a couple years ago they wrote an article about Burke and said that there was a high speed quad to the summit. Wrong. I wrote them about it...and the editor who contacted me was quite condescending and doubted me. :roll: OK, I was a passholder for multiple years...

In sum, they only care about Boston (naturally and to be expected) but do a woeful job for the rest of the region.

summitchallenger
12-11-2008, 06:44 PM
And based on what BMM has written, that sounds like a nice plan...I was a bit nervous at first, but there is plenty of great terrain at Ellen.

vonski
12-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Sounds Good! Didn't mean to put ya on the spot BMM. So Win, I guess we are still waiting to hear the specifics. let the kid talk!!!
Any thoughts on getting an Ellen feature on the website. Mt. Snow has the Carinthia link now. All in good promotion! I am actually psyched to be skiing Ellen exclusively in a week. But not missing my turns this weekend at south. thanks!

BushMogulMaster
12-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Sounds Good! Didn't mean to put ya on the spot BMM. So Win, I guess we are still waiting to hear the specifics. let the kid talk!!!
Any thoughts on getting an Ellen feature on the website. Mt. Snow has the Carinthia link now. All in good promotion! I am actually psyched to be skiing Ellen exclusively in a week. But not missing my turns this weekend at south. thanks!

No problem. I think you'll hear more from Mt Ellen management soon! :D

summitchallenger
12-11-2008, 07:05 PM
+ 1 on the Mount Ellen site!!!!! In fact, we should have a Mount Ellen/Glen Ellen Anniversary party as well when the time comes!

BushMogulMaster
12-11-2008, 07:10 PM
+ 1 on the Mount Ellen site!!!!! In fact, we should have a Mount Ellen/Glen Ellen Anniversary party as well when the time comes!

2013. 50 years. I think we should bring back the Scottish trail names! :D

summitchallenger
12-11-2008, 07:16 PM

2013. 50 years. I think we should bring back the Scottish trail names! :D

So that means that this is the 45th. I say partay!

vonski
12-11-2008, 07:58 PM
BMM,
how is the snow looking at Ellen, the race team and ski school have been skiing. So, I imagine Elbow has been groomed a few times now. OOPs! your on the spot again. :D

shadyjay
12-11-2008, 08:54 PM
I too am looking forward to Mt Ellen's opening. Going to spend probably Wed-Thu next week at L/P riding everything I can before my time there is up. The late Thanksgiving really screwed up my riding days, and my NYC trip this wknd isn't helping... but I hopefully will get a couple nice days at LP before I get kicked out. I'll be back to LP though, a few days here n' there.

I wasn't too optimistic about the ME bump story, but as long as there's a healthy mix of everything, I"ll be happy. I can see them bumping up Which Way. Also, either half of Northstar (the lower half?) or the lower end of Crackerjack. I enjoy Cruiser and Elbow and Lookin' Good, plus Rim Run, and last year discovered The Cliffs, plus Tumbler, HH, and Encore on a powder day. Lots of fun I had there and am looking forward to doing it again. Heck... may even give Exterminator or Bravo a try... but not FIS or the 'Diamond.
It'll be a cold day you know where before my board takes that way down the mountain.... but then again, not too long ago I said that about Organgrinder, Cliffs, The Mall, etc....

summitchallenger
12-11-2008, 09:47 PM
I too am looking forward to Mt Ellen's opening. Going to spend probably Wed-Thu next week at L/P riding everything I can before my time there is up. The late Thanksgiving really screwed up my riding days, and my NYC trip this wknd isn't helping... but I hopefully will get a couple nice days at LP before I get kicked out. I'll be back to LP though, a few days here n' there.

I wasn't too optimistic about the ME bump story, but as long as there's a healthy mix of everything, I"ll be happy. I can see them bumping up Which Way. Also, either half of Northstar (the lower half?) or the lower end of Crackerjack. I enjoy Cruiser and Elbow and Lookin' Good, plus Rim Run, and last year discovered The Cliffs, plus Tumbler, HH, and Encore on a powder day. Lots of fun I had there and am looking forward to doing it again. Heck... may even give Exterminator or Bravo a try... but not FIS or the 'Diamond.
It'll be a cold day you know where before my board takes that way down the mountain.... but then again, not too long ago I said that about Organgrinder, Cliffs, The Mall, etc....

Honestly Upper FIS is only really scary on the first time you ski/ride it each season....or when it is icy. It is short and if you enter via the woman's tee (skier's left) it isn't too bad. The men's tee, well, that is downright nervewracking for the first couple turns. Black Diamond is usually bumps so that will stop you if you fall :wink: And Exterminator, well, once you get down about half way it mellows out, but that isn't as scary as FIS.

shadyjay
12-12-2008, 07:56 AM

Honestly Upper FIS is only really scary on the first time you ski/ride it each season....or when it is icy. It is short and if you enter via the woman's tee (skier's left) it isn't too bad. The men's tee, well, that is downright nervewracking for the first couple turns. Black Diamond is usually bumps so that will stop you if you fall :wink: And Exterminator, well, once you get down about half way it mellows out, but that isn't as scary as FIS.

It's the 100% wide open view the public has of anyone on BD and FIS. BD has those pesky lift towers as well, plus the crowd above the whole time.
Exterminator - well there's noone watching your every move.
When I did The Mall, the VH lift wasn't running... and I was with 3 or 4 others who were encouraging me the whole way down.

mattlucas
12-14-2008, 06:27 PM
Scotch Mist is a wayyyy better name than black diamond, which is utterly generic. I am on board with the original names for the most part.