PDA

View Full Version : WOODS

vonski
12-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Anyone been in the woods lately? Will the potential new snow help out and make them passable? The base has got to be solid by now.

freeheel_skier
12-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Anyone been in the woods lately? Will the potential new snow help out and make them passable? The base has got to be solid by now.

I haven't been in the woods yet. I assume the loss of natural snow esp. @ low elevations would mean the woods need more snow. By solid do you mean solid crust due to the r@in?

"I am very excite" (borat reference) for dumpage to commence.

Tin Woodsman
12-11-2008, 01:05 PM
As always, the best places to look early season will be the mid-mountain hardwoods in the 2300-3000' elevation range. Any lower and not enough cover. Any higher and you've got a lot of blow down and steeper pitch.

HowieT2
12-11-2008, 01:07 PM
As always, the best places to look early season will be the mid-mountain hardwoods in the 2300-3000' elevation range. Any lower and not enough cover. Any higher and you've got a lot of blow down and steeper pitch.

Lew's Line?

vonski
12-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Sounds good. I should be able to find those!!!

freeheel_skier
12-11-2008, 01:19 PM

Lew's Line?

Lew's is maintained (clear of any major blow downs) but might be too low. I haven't been out since the r@$% so I really can't say.

However, I always wait until "I" am sure there is enough coverage. Yeh maybe you might hit a good day but I don't want to have to do extensive base repair (i.e. base weld) so I can go skiing again. Plus there are lots of blow downs. In the past I have seen people waiting with skis @ slidebrook on German Flats with a dusting of snow @ that elevation.....totally nuts :shock: But they looked like they had a good time!

vonski
12-11-2008, 01:24 PM
I tend to find some private stashes that don't see traffic. I would imagine that if the base is still solid and if there is any substantial fresh (don't want to jinx the storm) that first tracks would be okay. I have found that fresh lines are important in early season with a lot of back seat skiing going on. Keepin them tips up.

Last Tracks
12-11-2008, 01:37 PM
i skied woods yesterday... lost a lot of snow esp. around bases of trees, stumps and rocks..

yesterday the cover was a couple inches of wet pow over a breakable crust but i would think that it froze last night.

i think tomorrow could be good in the woods but i also think you should assume there is no base and that all the stumps etc are still there rigt below the surface and ski accordingly....

Tin Woodsman
12-11-2008, 02:05 PM

Lew's Line?
I usually avoid the stuff on map, preferring to go where I know it's both cleaner and less crowded. But that's the right elevation range.

Hawk
12-11-2008, 02:39 PM
i skied woods yesterday... lost a lot of snow esp. around bases of trees, stumps and rocks..

yesterday the cover was a couple inches of wet pow over a breakable crust but i would think that it froze last night.

i think tomorrow could be good in the woods but i also think you should assume there is no base and that all the stumps etc are still there rigt below the surface and ski accordingly....

How about the upper mountain. Did you get in off Jester or OG?