PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storm Warning

Strat
12-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Issued by The National Weather Service
Burlington, VT
4:35 am EST, Thu., Dec. 11, 2008

... WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 4 PM EST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW AND SLEET FOR ESSEX COUNTY NEW YORK... AS WELL AS CENTRAL... NORTH CENTRAL AND NORTHEASTERN VERMONT. THIS WARNING IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 4 PM EST FRIDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

6 TO 12 INCHES OF SNOW WITH SOME SLEET ACCUMULATION ARE EXPECTED IN THE WARNING AREA BY FRIDAY AFTERNOON.

SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD THE AREA FROM THE SOUTH BY MID TO LATE THIS AFTERNOON... AND BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES OVERNIGHT BEFORE TAPERING TO SNOW SHOWERS BY LATER FRIDAY AFTERNOON. THE SNOW WILL LIKELY MIX WITH OR CHANGE TO SLEET FOR A PERIOD OF TIME OVERNIGHT... ESPECIALLY ACROSS CENTRAL VERMONT. AS A RESULT... TRAVEL CONDITIONS WILL LIKELY BECOME HAZARDOUS THIS EVENING INTO FRIDAY ACROSS THE AREA. PLEASE TAKE THE NECESSARY ACTIONS TO ADEQUATELY PREPARE FOR THIS UPCOMING STORM.
More Information

... WINTER STORM TO IMPACT THE NORTH COUNTRY TODAY THROUGH FRIDAY AFTERNOON...

.AN INTENSIFYING LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM OVER THE NORTHERN GULF STATES WILL MOVE NORTHEAST ALONG MID ATLANTIC SEABOARD LATER TODAY... AND TO NEAR LONG ISLAND BY FRIDAY MORNING. AS A RESULT... WIDESPREAD WINTRY PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED ACROSS MUCH OF NORTHERN NEW YORK AND VERMONT LATER THIS AFTERNOON INTO TONIGHT BEFORE TAPERING OFF BY FRIDAY AFTERNOON. THE PRECIPITATION SHOULD BE HEAVIEST THIS EVENING INTO FRIDAY MORNING AND FALL MAINLY IN THE FORM OF SNOW... BUT WILL LIKELY MIX WITH SLEET OR FREEZING RAIN ACROSS CENTRAL AND SOUTH CENTRAL VERMONT. A PROLONGED PERIOD OF FREEZING RAIN IS LIKELY ACROSS SOUTHEASTERN VERMONT... WHERE SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCUMULATIONS ARE POSSIBLE.

PERSONS ACROSS MUCH OF THE NORTH COUNTRY SHOULD CONTINUE TO MONITOR THIS SYSTEM AS IT HAS THE POTENTIAL TO SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACT TRAVEL.

Even the Weather Channel agrees...
Tonight: Low 23. Chance of Precipitation: 100%. Snow likely. Some sleet may mix in. Low 23F. Winds light and variable. Snow accumulating 6 to 10 inches.

noski
12-11-2008, 10:29 AM
If those of you in Central MA can work around the ice that is forecast for you, you will be rewarded handsomely!

summitchallenger
12-11-2008, 11:56 AM
I move that said snow only fall at the ski areas and not on the roads. I have travel to do and work is such that I cannot miss a day.

HowieT2
12-11-2008, 01:05 PM
I move that said snow only fall at the ski areas and not on the roads. I have travel to do and work is such that I cannot miss a day.

It's not the snow that will get you, it's the freezing rain, ice and sleet. snow I can handle. Just take it slow and steady.

Strat
12-11-2008, 01:16 PM
The snow report is optimistic, though maybe in a different time frame?

"Yesterday's funk turnd to snow around 1 p.m., and it looks like we picked up a couple of inches before the skies cleared up and the winds diminished. Today we could see some snow showers, but it looks like the BIG event rolls in tonight bringing 6 to 10 inches by Firday morning and then a couple more inches throughout the day on Firday. Just what we all wanted to hear as the 50th Birthday Bash draws near!"

castlerock
12-11-2008, 06:10 PM
6:00 PM Steady snow in Sugarbush Village. Snowflakes melting on my gas grill as it heats up

klop
12-11-2008, 06:21 PM
A little bragging from a lurker - snowing in Vergennes at 6pm and the local weatherman calling for 8-12 inches by Friday afternoon in the valley. I'll be there tomorrow thinking about all of you wishing you were with me up there. I hope the wind holds off. PS sounds like more ice the more south you get - drive safely. Still a lot of winter to go.

John Walden
12-12-2008, 07:34 AM
Anybody willing to give me a travel report on I-89 from NH to VT? Leaving Boston area around noon.

Last Tracks
12-12-2008, 07:35 AM
in Montpelier we got 8" with crust on top. raining at the moment.

big question is... was it mostly snow on top?

shadyjay
12-12-2008, 08:01 AM
'bout the same here in Waterbury.

For conditions, you can check with 511vt.com or call 511 once in Vermont (also in NH, for NH road conditions).

John Walden
12-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm in no hurry; just want to get there safe and sound to make the party tonight.

Tin Woodsman
12-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Mountain reporting 7" and reports from Starksboro indicate about that much, with a 1/2" sleet crust on top.

Hey - it will make for a great base!

Radar indicates another blob of snow to the west, maybe adding 1-2" of sugar on top.

ski_resort_observer
12-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Anybody willing to give me a travel report on I-89 from NH to VT? Leaving Boston area around noon.

call 1-800-ICY-ROAD

noski
12-12-2008, 10:45 AM
It is snowing again. Nice!

Tin Woodsman
12-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Scott Braaten on SKIVT-L projecting an additional 2-4" from the band now starting to move through.

castlerock
12-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Sunny windy.
This mornings zipper crust has been overcome and the mountain is skiing beautifully.