PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Dec, 4th - will the Mt. open today?

Stumpy
12-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Does anyone know if the mt will open back up today?

Lostone
12-04-2008, 11:49 AM
I would guess the answer is no... Nobody knows.

Weather.com says the wind won't decrease until 1:30, and that is not an elevation forecast. Wind howled overnight and I'm not surprised to find it on wind hold.

Snow report says you can hike.

Hawk
12-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Time to break out the cat. :wink:

Hardbooter
12-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Do any of you near-mountain folks have a weather report for us flatlanders? I've been doing a snow dance but the only thing that happened was my co-workers asked me to please put my pants back on and keep my office door closed. I don't expect them to get it, they're not skiers.

shadyjay
12-04-2008, 03:16 PM
39 deg here in Waterbury, about 15 miles to the north of the Bush....
forecasts are looking great for snowmaking starting tonight, as a drop in temps into the 20s is forecasted, with not getting above freezing for the forseeable future.

BLOW THAT SNOW!!!

Hardbooter
12-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Is there any snow or r**n coming from the sky? I'm not a big fan of man made snow.

noski
12-04-2008, 03:42 PM
You can always spotcheck the weather on our webcam that points to the Warren Store. Go to www.MadRiverValley.com and click on webcam. Nothing happening at the moment, but snow is forecast tonight, then colder for a while.

ski_resort_observer
12-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Is there any snow or r**n coming from the sky? I'm not a big fan of man made snow.

both

Lostone
12-04-2008, 03:51 PM
We've had a lot of wind with some rain. Now 37° on my deck. (Skiing sucks on my deck right now!) :(

Like they say, forecasts are for colder, tonight.

Hardbooter
12-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Wow, that web cam link is great.

http://www.madrivervalley.com/vermont/webcam/index.htm

I just saw someone's black lab run out into the street. Good thing there's no traffic.

What ever happened to Sugarbush's web cam? Did we cover that in a thread here somewhere? It would be nice to have one on top of the lift shack at heaven's gate. A lot of other ski areas have some sort of summit cam.

Strat
12-04-2008, 04:32 PM
The Sugarbush web cam (or lack thereof) has been discussed before. From what I understand it's a bit of a hush hush issue up on the hill; I think the general consensus was that it was better to have no camera all the time than to have a camera that showed big crowds and poor conditions which would turn people off from coming some of the time (and the rest of the time the opposite of that). That's just a base cam though; a summit cam would be very cool, and less prone to turning people away IMO, but it's a healthy investment to wire internet to the tops of the mountains, where there are no serious structures other than the patrol shacks.

madhavok
12-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Any report on today's damage?

Dawn Patrol
12-04-2008, 04:44 PM
You wanna know about damages?? The guy one cube over from me just showered in some musky cologne.. Eyes... Watering... Can't... Breathe... Sh1t...

summitchallenger
12-04-2008, 04:50 PM
I wondered what happened with that cam.......

vonski
12-04-2008, 05:21 PM
You wanna know about damages?? The guy one cube over from me just showered in some musky cologne.. Eyes... Watering... Can't... Breathe... Sh1t...

To bad you don't have a piece of that horrible frozen flatbread to feed him. :lol:

vonski
12-04-2008, 05:24 PM
I just check the MRG web cam.

Hardbooter
12-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Yup, I check the MRG cam too. It looks like crap on all the cameras. Maybe I did the snow dance wrong. Am I supposed to wear the ski goggles while dancing? I though it was just old straight skis with rear entry boots and no pants but I'm clearly no expert at this.

Maybe the entire chat room needs to combine forces in one big new england snow dance.

shadyjay
12-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Take this how you will, but... I was watching The Weather Channel last night and they showed the new December long-range forecast, which shows a trough developing in the east and a ridge in the west. End result is the temperatures in the Northeast are forecasted to be "below average" for the month. This spells good things: cold temps, snow events, and if not, at least some good wx to produce snow to increase those bases... for our usual January 60-deg spell. Do they really know what's going to happen? It just looked optimistic to me!

Tin Woodsman
12-04-2008, 05:37 PM
The Sugarbush web cam (or lack thereof) has been discussed before. From what I understand it's a bit of a hush hush issue up on the hill; I think the general consensus was that it was better to have no camera all the time than to have a camera that showed big crowds and poor conditions which would turn people off from coming some of the time (and the rest of the time the opposite of that). That's just a base cam though; a summit cam would be very cool, and less prone to turning people away IMO, but it's a healthy investment to wire internet to the tops of the mountains, where there are no serious structures other than the patrol shacks.
Piggy back on whatever coms capabilities exist for the patrol shack at Allyn's Lodge. A mid-mountain cam will show more snow and less people than a base cam. Of course they really should have both, but I'll take just one, considering that both Stowe and MRG have them. Weak. Sauce.

vonski
12-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Kmart lets you control their cam. I personally, think that a cam is part of the world today, and I agree it is weak sauce not to have one. If we want to improve all services then the Bush should stay up with modern times. If old school MRG and
A-Basin in Colorado can have them then why not the Bush? I often check out the A-basin cam in Colorado just for the stoke. Weatheringheights.com Roger Hill's website has a cam page and one can also check out the valley on Norm's web cam found there. That one really tells you how low the snow is falling.

Strat
12-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Piggy back on whatever coms capabilities exist for the patrol shack at Allyn's Lodge. A mid-mountain cam will show more snow and less people than a base cam. Of course they really should have both, but I'll take just one, considering that both Stowe and MRG have them. Weak. Sauce.
Allyn's would be a good spot. I remember this is a topic we've tossed around quite a bit in the past...

Lostone
12-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Allyn's would be a terrible place, as it is in a little gully. You could see people coming off Super Bravo, heading down downspout and coming down Allyn's traverse and down the lower section of the Valley House Traverse. Nothing good, IMNATHO.

The best place is in the base area. (Top of Timbers?) (Top of Claybrook would be better.) It could rotate to see at least the western trails and the action of the base area. It could see the anthill, which was a kid blast. It might be able to get part of the Gatehouse area, at least by the Little Kid and Village Chair.

I thought the one in the clock tower did well.

ski_resort_observer
12-04-2008, 09:14 PM
It could rotate to see the action of the base area.

I don't know.. isn't the action going on in downtown Warren enough? It's better than a Google Street cam :lol: :lol:

villager
12-04-2008, 09:28 PM
The other factor on where to locate a cam is that it has to be near a network connection (or at least in wireless LAN range). Probably not too feasible at Allyn's.

Tin Woodsman
12-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Allyn's would be a terrible place, as it is in a little gully. You could see people coming off Super Bravo, heading down downspout and coming down Allyn's traverse and down the lower section of the Valley House Traverse. Nothing good, IMNATHO.

You also have a front row view of the classic Sugarbush vista that is the Castlerock pod, Heaven's Gate and North Lynx. Lots of choices both far and near.

The best place is in the base area. (Top of Timbers?) (Top of Claybrook would be better.) It could rotate to see at least the western trails and the action of the base area. It could see the anthill, which was a kid blast. It might be able to get part of the Gatehouse area, at least by the Little Kid and Village Chair.

I thought the one in the clock tower did well.

Whatever - anything would be better than the present situation.

Lostone
12-05-2008, 08:52 AM
I had forgotten about Castlerock. There is a great view of that, but far enough away that I'm not sure how good a view you could get of any action.

As for Heaven's Gate, not sure of the view from the top, but I don't think there is too much really visible that wouldn't show with a still shot.

They do have a phone line, but not sure how they'd do with a live network. It is pretty far away. Still, if other resorts do it from the summit...? :?

mattlucas
12-06-2008, 04:03 PM
i'm a big fan of web cams.

how bout maybe one at north by the glen house sun deck?

Get some people hanging out and a bit of FIS etc.