PDA

View Full Version : Driving home from the Bush Yesterday

Dawn Patrol
12-01-2008, 10:21 AM
89 and 91... I counted something like 26 cars off the road... What the sh1t??

summitchallenger
12-01-2008, 10:54 AM

And the next questions are:

1. How many of them were SUV's?
2. How many of them had Mass. Plates?

freeheel_skier
12-01-2008, 10:59 AM

Here we go...... :roll:

Yard Sale
12-01-2008, 11:01 AM

How's my MASS taste?

summitchallenger
12-01-2008, 11:08 AM

Not being critical. I'm just being honest...in my experience, there has been a clear correlation.

freeheel_skier
12-01-2008, 11:27 AM

Not being critical. I'm just being honest...in my experience, there has been a clear correlation.

Hey you are entitled to your opinion. Comments like these start flamming. :evil: "Flatlanders" vs "Locals" or whatever.

I see plenty of green plates off the road on my daily commute when the roads are greasy. Same can be said on Sunday's. I have pulled many a neighbor out of a ditch in a snow storm. One even landed in a snow bank in my driveway.....I guess he was going too fast. Now my driving skills on the other hand are perfect! :roll: :lol:

Hawk
12-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Actually the car that went off the road in front of me was a Subaru with green plates. :wink:

ski_resort_observer
12-01-2008, 12:57 PM
I think it's pretty normal that on the first bout of dicey roads alot of folks are still driving too fast for conditions and end up in the ditch. Green, white, tan, purple, polka dot plates, whatever, all join the party. It was, after all a holiday weekend :D

gone.skiing
12-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Anyone drove 89 through NH last night around 6/7 PM? How was it?

castlerock
12-01-2008, 01:33 PM
the folks with white plates are the weekend regular's up here. I believe you'll find more hakkas with that crowd than most. Now after Xmas you might have a different story. But remember once you get to 89 on a Friday or Sunday evening, you'd expect to find NH, MA, CT, etc.....

castlerock
12-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Anyone drove 89 through NH last night around 6/7 PM? How was it?

My wife did coming back up here and said it was really slick. There was a BMW that couldn't make it up a hill on 89!

MntMan4Bush
12-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Traffic coming back on Sunday was bad and the roads were slick. Left Warren at about 4 PM and it took about 2 hours to get to West Leb which usually takes me one hour. Easily saw about a dozen cars off the road to include one we pulled over to help, but turned out to be empty already. Was too busy trying to make sure everyone was alright to notice the plate colors........

atkinson
12-01-2008, 02:21 PM
I've never understood why there is such animosity for and between people from nearby states. If this were the west coast, we'd all be living in one state!

Besides, some of Vermont's most sacred institutions were largely made possible by people from Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York and New Jersey. To name a few, think of the Long Trail, Stowe, MRG, Sugarbush and Killington.

John

ski_resort_observer
12-01-2008, 02:40 PM
I've never understood why there is such animosity for and between people from nearby states. If this were the west coast, we'd all be living in one state!

Besides, some of Vermont's most sacred institutions were largely made possible by people from Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York and New Jersey. To name a few, think of the Long Trail, Stowe, MRG, Sugarbush and Killington.

John

+1... plus at the risk at being accused of marketingspeak, all of the employees I work with totally applaud and appreciate the effort, time and cost all our guests go thru to come to the Bush, in some cases as mentioned in this thread risking life and limb and is a big part of the motivation to do right for them, to over-deliver anyway we can. This starts from the top down and I think most everyone knows what I'm talking about and is the primary reason I returned 3 years ago to the Bush after 4 years at LL Bean.

Dawn Patrol
12-01-2008, 02:46 PM

John

Seriously! I'm not trying to start state warfare here.. I don't want to see anyone off the road, no matter what plates they have. I just was absolutely shocked at how many cars were off the road. I drove right through it (left at 3) and didn't think the roads were slick at all....

castlerock
12-01-2008, 03:17 PM
.......didn't think the roads were slick at all....

Seriously?..... you didn't think they were slick at all, with accidents totaling in the dozens?

Yard Sale
12-01-2008, 03:26 PM

John

Seriously! I'm not trying to start state warfare here.. I don't want to see anyone off the road, no matter what plates they have. I just was absolutely shocked at how many cars were off the road. I drove right through it (left at 3) and didn't think the roads were slick at all....

I don't think there is any real animosity. I've never had an unkind exchange with anyone in the valley. I think sometimes travel anxiety especially in adverse driving/weather conditons can brew a little hostility, but that's natural. If you see someone driving/behaving in an a manner that compromises your safety you identify the plate and take note.

As for my "Mass taste" comment: I was just playing to the Masshole steryotype. No offense taken and hopefully none given.

Dawn Patrol
12-01-2008, 03:41 PM
.......didn't think the roads were slick at all....

Seriously?..... you didn't think they were slick at all, with accidents totaling in the dozens?

Seriously. I thought it was fairly typical driving for winter in NE. A few inches of snow, not really a big deal. My car didn't skid or slide, abs never once kicked in. Pretty routine trip. Hence the shock at the cars strewn across the road.

summitchallenger
12-01-2008, 03:50 PM
If you see someone driving/behaving in an a manner that compromises your safety you identify the plate and take note.

That was my point...except the observation as to who is off the road on interstates....

vonski
12-01-2008, 04:08 PM
When I saw the radar yesterday afternoon, I was happy I had come home Friday. (had to work Sat. & Sunday) Being a flatlander, I am trying to get as far into the season with my regular tires. ( and they are almost toast and don't want to put them back on again in the spring. So, I have not changed over to the snow tires yet. I have a 4 wheel drive Kia Sorrento and with snows it is great. But with the regular tires it can be interesting at best especially since they are worn at this point. I have gone to exit 9 the last two weekends avoiding Roxbury Pass. So, my guess is that others do not have the snows on yet. Or maybe they were visiting relatives and not skiing and have no clue how to drive in the snow in the first place. I hate to say it, but folks down here can't drive in the rain never mind the snow!!!

Lostone
12-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Moved to Misc.

aejkb
12-01-2008, 07:12 PM
My unscientific observation was that many of the cars off the road, or in wrecks, were pick-up trucks.

madhavok
12-02-2008, 09:38 AM
The roads were icy, didn't notice it driving an awd vehicle with new tires. However I did see a guy standing by an accident in the right lane slip and fall right on his ass and I also had to pull over to releive myself and the road was slick. So yes the roads were bad but not by fault of the weather. All blame goes to Vermont DOT. I've done my share of driving through all the north east states in winter conditions and VTDOT is by far the worst. Asleep at the switch as usual (based on years of experience this is expected of them). Guess the flatlanders don't pay enough Vermont property taxes to have some salt put on the roads before the temperature drops during a wet precip.

atkinson
12-02-2008, 10:04 AM
I think VT-AOT does an incredible job with some of the toughest sections of highway in the northeast. And our local crews are flatout amazing. YMMV.

John

Plowboy
12-02-2008, 10:56 AM
The roads were icy, didn't notice it driving an awd vehicle with new tires. However I did see a guy standing by an accident in the right lane slip and fall right on his ass and I also had to pull over to releive myself and the road was slick. So yes the roads were bad but not by fault of the weather. All blame goes to Vermont DOT. I've done my share of driving through all the north east states in winter conditions and VTDOT is by far the worst. Asleep at the switch as usual (based on years of experience this is expected of them). Guess the flatlanders don't pay enough Vermont property taxes to have some salt put on the roads before the temperature drops during a wet precip.

Dont Ya Know it was the last day of rifle season!!! :P I'm not sure if they have a dry road program this year. $$$$$$$$

freeheel_skier
12-02-2008, 11:37 AM
I think VT-AOT does an incredible job with some of the toughest sections of highway in the northeast. And our local crews are flatout amazing.

John

I agree with Atkinson. I live on German Flats and The town of Fayston does an excellent job!!!

Yard Sale
12-02-2008, 12:28 PM
I think VT-AOT does an incredible job with some of the toughest sections of highway in the northeast. And our local crews are flatout amazing.

John

I agree with Atkinson. I live on German Flats and The town of Fayston does an excellent job!!!

Agreed. I'll also add Rox/warren Mtn. Rd. 12 &12A onto the list of well maintained roads.

The only concern I have locally is that last year on a particularly icy Friday night in February(I think Pres WE), we were starting up Rox Mtn Rd. and due to an accident and the icing precip, the road was closed.

The alarmining thing was that the guy/volunteer/town worker directing traffic I spoke with said the town was out of salt/sand for the season. (Holy Sheep Shizzle!)

I don't know how accurate this info received on the side of the road that night was, but with a good chunk of ski season still to go I started relying a little more on Bethel Mtn Rd. during snowy travel for what ever difference that might have made. As Lostone might say: It might have made all the difference.

madhavok
12-02-2008, 12:36 PM

John

Well for whatever reason I-89 & I-91 are always the worst. In fact the back roads RT 107 & RT 100 are typically plowed and salted better than the interstate! Does the State do the plowing on RT 107, RT 100 or German flats Rd?

Now I'm not going to tell you I didn't see any State trucks out Sunday night because I passed 4 of them. Unfortunetly only 1 of those 4 was actually moving and not just parked on the shoulder (weird).

madhavok
12-02-2008, 12:39 PM

Dont Ya Know it was the last day of rifle season!!! :P I'm not sure if they have a dry road program this year. $$$$$$$$

I'm not asking for a dry road. But I'll guarentee you if the State dropped some salt on the road Sunday afternoon, it wouldn't have turned into an ice rink when the temp hit 30 deg.

Plowboy
12-02-2008, 07:16 PM

John

Well for whatever reason I-89 & I-91 are always the worst. In fact the back roads RT 107 & RT 100 are typically plowed and salted better than the interstate! Does the State do the plowing on RT 107, RT 100 or German flats Rd?

Now I'm not going to tell you I didn't see any State trucks out Sunday night because I passed 4 of them. Unfortunetly only 1 of those 4 was actually moving and not just parked on the shoulder (weird).

107 and 100 are State, German Flats is Town of Fayston. One of the best is Rt 17 Ap Gap during the week, something to do with the Governor living in Middlebury. :wink:

Trucks on the shoulder? Maybe there was a big buck in the field. :lol:

groomer
12-03-2008, 09:16 PM
IT WASN"T ME MAHV! :evil: :twisted: :shock: