PDA

View Full Version : Upper Organgrinder: Bumps or Groomed?

summitchallenger
12-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Last weekend, Organgrinder was bumped up and I thought it skied well. As the season goes, it seems to rotate between bumped up and groomed. Which should it be do you think?

IMHO I think it should remain a bump run and half of Ripcord should be regularly groomed for the steep groomed run. OG in my experience has an odd fall line that makes it hard to ski fast when groomed. The double fall line at the top is pretty interesting in places. I also think it is not a good groomer. I know that the winch cat anchor is at the top of it, and it is a straight line which means easy for grooming, but I think that I would switch it with Ripcord as the bump line du jour.

Yard Sale
12-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Groomed for OG: It's fun to bomb it espesially with fresh.

Bumps for Ripcord under the chair.

vonski
12-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Organgrinder can be scary fast when groomed. I hit it on Friday morning after they groomed it Thursday night. The whales at the bottom where interesting when carrying all that speed. I threw on the brakes hard. I think OG would be better bumped as it would be safer. By grooming half of Ripcord that would be sweet as there is more room for error on that trail. ( not that I am looking to crash). I think OG can get real slick at times if they continually groom it.

summitchallenger
12-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Organgrinder can be scary fast when groomed. I hit it on Friday morning after they groomed it Thursday night. The whales at the bottom where interesting when carrying all that speed. I threw on the brakes hard. I think OG would be better bumped as it would be safer. By grooming half of Ripcord that would be sweet as there is more room for error on that trail. ( not that I am looking to crash). I think OG can get real slick at times if they continually groom it.

+ 1. My thoughts exactly...Ripcord is wider and has a more consistent fall line.

freeheel_skier
12-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Top to bottom bumps. Makes for a fun run :D

Hardbooter
12-01-2008, 12:00 PM
I'd be happy with bumps everywhere (as long as they were soft). I'd stay home or in the woods when things firmed up. Of course, SB would quickly go out of business but I'd be happy. Tired, but happy.

Hawk
12-01-2008, 12:27 PM
I supose they have to groom something. :roll: I like OG bumped up like the old days.

Last Tracks
12-01-2008, 12:27 PM
I prefer the woods on skiers left... which were awesome yesterday!

Hardbooter
12-01-2008, 12:45 PM
How much base is in the woods? Were you hitting stumps and stuff? I know the snowmaking fills in a bit on skiers left of OG but what about the other stuff farther in? The half pipe gully looked completely unskiable a week ago. On another note, what's that gully called anyway? Does anyone have a good name for that?

mattlucas
12-01-2008, 02:50 PM
if spills (bumped), paradise (bumped) and ripcord (half and half) are all open, i see no reason not to groom it. i like to go scary fast sometimes.

WWF-VT
12-01-2008, 02:54 PM
I don't recall ever seeing Ripcord half groomed / half bumps. I am used to a groomed upper Organ Grinder and like it that way.

Hardbooter
12-01-2008, 03:01 PM
I don't recall ever seeing Ripcord half groomed / half bumps.

You might recall that when it's half groomed they tend to groom the shady side (skiers right) like they do on Cliffs at north. That side is prone to get really scraped so they sometimes groom that when conditions are firm and we need a bailout. In my experience, it tends to be much more noticeable on the lower half.

Last Tracks
12-01-2008, 04:03 PM
plenty of snow to ski in woods between OG and ripcord. obviously stumps and nubs are a huge hazard so you need to keep em ponted down the fall line and keep your tips up.

woods were good all over the mounatin but only powder on top...

BTW - I was skiing in Eden on sunday and almost ran over a flock of 7 turkeys... that was a first for me!

Hardbooter
12-01-2008, 04:10 PM
I thought the turkeys were all on Steins...

http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?t=1668

vonski
12-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Not to bring up a bad memory, but did the unfortunate young man from Canada, hit the tree last year when OG was groomed or bumped up? Believe me I love the thrill of bombing the mountain, but OG does get Scarey Fast when groomed.

summitchallenger
12-01-2008, 04:16 PM
The GF and I saw the turkeys standing on the side of Waterfall...

Dawn Patrol
12-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Bumps.. Groom it if they think a big dump is coming... I used to love flying down Grinder, but it is pretty farking dangerous.

Lostone
12-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Paradise, Ripcord and Spills are bumps. Jester is groomed. OG should be groomed. Just because you can go scary fast, you don't have to.

vonski
12-01-2008, 08:19 PM
I do like OG to be groomed sometimes, but the scarey fact is when you miss a turn or have low light and miss the dip; the next thing you know you are going Scarey Fast! :shock: and it is a tight trail for the speed but the uphill run out does provide some relief.

Tin Woodsman
12-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Paradise, Ripcord and Spills are bumps. Jester is groomed. OG should be groomed. Just because you can go scary fast, you don't have to.

I think it goes w/o saying that if OG is bumped, then at least 1/2 of Ripcord would need to be groomed. My $0.02 is that this would be the better solution, as OG is too narrow, gets too much traffic and is too shaded to be a good groomer.

HowieT2
12-01-2008, 08:49 PM
[quote="vonski"]I do like OG to be groomed sometimes, but the scarey fact is when you miss a turn or have low light and miss the dip; the next thing you know you are going Scarey Fast! :shock: and it is a tight trail for the speed but the uphill run out does provide some relief.[/quote

I thought it was just me who had trouble with the light on OG sometimes.
Groom before dumps otherwise leave is is.

Lostone
12-01-2008, 09:00 PM
But that isn't what the poll says. There are a few posts saying that would be a good compromise, but that is not included in the poll.

I see the vast majority of skiers as not being bump skiers. Having one way down for the majority, and 4 for the minority would be treating the majority of the customers poorly, IMNATHO.

You can't groom Spills, and shouldn't ever groom Paradise. (Although I would like the entrance, before the turn done. (It gets the ugliest bumps!)) That leaves Ripcord and Organgrinder.

I have stated my opposition to half groomed runs. I have seen people bailing from the bumps and colliding with people cruising the flat. I'd rather have one or the other groomed.

HowieT2
12-01-2008, 09:09 PM
But that isn't what the poll says. There are a few posts saying that would be a good compromise, but that is not included in the poll.

I see the vast majority of skiers as not being bump skiers. Having one way down for the majority, and 4 for the minority would be treating the majority of the customers poorly, IMNATHO.

You can't groom Spills, and shouldn't ever groom Paradise. (Although I would like the entrance, before the turn done. (It gets the ugliest bumps!)) That leaves Ripcord and Organgrinder.

I have stated my opposition to half groomed runs. I have seen people bailing from the bumps and colliding with people cruising the flat. I'd rather have one or the other groomed.

The poll asks what we would like to see, not what is good for the majority. You are correct that for most skiers OG needs to be groomed unless ripcord is groomed.

Hardbooter
12-01-2008, 11:54 PM
[They] shouldn't ever groom Paradise. (Although I would like the entrance, before the turn done. (It gets the ugliest bumps!))

The bumps on the way into paradise are from the wind. A few planted trees or a windblock of some sort might fix that problem.

There are various spots on the mountain that routinely get wind bumps and drifts. That is one of them. Another that I can think of is the cutoff in the slide brook runout just after the bridge. It gets those wind formed woop-ti-dos (sp?) that the skiers make worse.

I think sections of the ridge line that are not groomed are prone to wind formations. The long trail often has them. I think north would have them at the top of it wasn't groomed on most nights. I'm not sure why they don't run a groomer into the top of paradise once and a while. It seems like it would be cool to flatten that area just before a dump.

Hawk
12-02-2008, 07:33 AM
I skied the woods on OG and in Eden and to say the woods were good all over would be miss leading to some. I would add that the woods are good if you are a woods hound and can not help yourself. The conditions are challenging with blow downs and swack showing all over. Only the best skiers/boarders would not have a problem.

Ya it was skiable and it was fun but I wouldn't open the gates to the masses. :wink:

madhavok
12-02-2008, 09:15 AM
I'd be in favor of letting organgrinder bump up if ripcord would be half groomed. Mix it through out the season, thats my 2 cents.

And yes, I bomb organgrinder to way beyond dangerous fast.

Tin Woodsman
12-02-2008, 03:03 PM
And there are posted speed limits on roads too, but common sense usually wins the day when the roads are dry.

I've never seen that phenomonenon. What I have seen are a lot of wide bump runs at a lot of ski areas with the half and half treatment, including Cliffs at ME. Quite frnakly, Ripcord seems to be a much better candidate than Cliffs for this treatment b/c it's wider and allows for more room to roam. The fall line on OG is sketch, and the shadows play tricks. Never really one of my favorite runs b/c you can't really let it loose.

12-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Don't groom anything. It saves fuel which is better for the environment... ;)

ScoobySnack
12-04-2008, 10:24 AM
As I think that most of you on this board are hard-core accomplished skiers who love bumps, I am going to add my 2 cents as a dedicated, though less accomplished skier who can live without so many bumps. Organgrinder is perfect as a long groomed trail for decent skiers who are not crazy about bumps. On weekend days, the good groomed trails can get a bit too crowded and limiting. This is not the case with Organgrinder as it's steepness at the top keeps the crowd in control. In these cases, a groomed organgrinder is great option as decent skiers can have some good fun here without a herd of people next to them.
Besides, it's not like there is a lack of good bumps elsewhere. Paradise and Ripcord are fantastic for this.

Tin Woodsman
12-04-2008, 11:50 AM
As I think that most of you on this board are hard-core accomplished skiers who love bumps, I am going to add my 2 cents as a dedicated, though less accomplished skier who can live without so many bumps. Organgrinder is perfect as a long groomed trail for decent skiers who are not crazy about bumps. On weekend days, the good groomed trails can get a bit too crowded and limiting. This is not the case with Organgrinder as it's steepness at the top keeps the crowd in control. In these cases, a groomed organgrinder is great option as decent skiers can have some good fun here without a herd of people next to them.
Besides, it's not like there is a lack of good bumps elsewhere. Paradise and Ripcord are fantastic for this.
Would your perspective change if, in exchange for leaving OG bumped, half of Ripcord was groomed? My sense is that you'd end up with equivalent, if not greater, acreage of groomed terrain off of HG.

Dawn Patrol
12-04-2008, 12:04 PM
The majority of the mountain is groomed. You can get PLENTY of speed on most groomers. It doesn't matter if Jester is the only groomer down HG. Troll Rd is the only square down CR its the same thing. Over the years it seems almost all black diamonds are bumped at Sugarbush I'd leave it that way. Groom Grinder just before a dump otherwise leave it.

Yard Sale
12-04-2008, 12:52 PM
The majority of the mountain is groomed. You can get PLENTY of speed on most groomers. It doesn't matter if Jester is the only groomer down HG. Troll Rd is the only square down CR its the same thing. Over the years it seems almost all black diamonds are bumped at Sugarbush I'd leave it that way. Groom Grinder just before a dump otherwise leave it.

OG is the only groomer with any pitch. If you allowed it to bump, I think some portion of RC would have to be groomed to provide alternate groomed steep. I think Og is a better groomed option of the two since because it is more narrow it receives a little more wind protection. i think if you were to groom half of RC (Presumably the side opposite the lift) the additional wind exposure would leave the groomed side wind scoured and the remaining bumps would retain less soft cover as well. A groomed Upper OG has it's place at the table providing groomed steeps for ripping cord and pow. While the narrow track and shade are valid criticisms, but when things are right like 1st tracks in boot deep on upper OG no brakes. . . . . there's no other place on the hill for that. Ripping fresh cord is good too.

Dawn Patrol
12-04-2008, 01:06 PM

OG is the only groomer with any pitch. If you allowed it to bump, I think some portion of RC would have to be groomed to provide alternate groomed steep. I think Og is a better groomed option of the two since because it is more narrow it receives a little more wind protection. i think if you were to groom half of RC (Presumably the side opposite the lift) the additional wind exposure would leave the groomed side wind scoured and the remaining bumps would retain less soft cover as well. A groomed Upper OG has it's place at the table providing groomed steeps for ripping cord and pow. While the narrow track and shade are valid criticisms, but when things are right like 1st tracks in boot deep on upper OG no brakes. . . . . there's no other place on the hill for that. Ripping fresh cord is good too.

You don't HAVE to groom anything. I seriously think Grinder is way dangerous if there isn't pow or bumps, which is why I say groom only just prior to dumps. Plenty of speed can be had on Snowball, SpringFling, Birdland and Murphy's to name a few.

scharny
12-04-2008, 01:07 PM
I say leave a "beauty strip" of ungroomed bumps skier's left on OG about 10' wide.

Last Tracks
12-04-2008, 02:00 PM
yesterday, ripcord, spills and paradise were almost unskiable (i couldn't believe ripcord was open) the terrain was frozen solid, moguls and all.

but OG was OK due to grooming.. so there is a role for grooming...

ScoobySnack
12-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Would your perspective change if, in exchange for leaving OG bumped, half of Ripcord was groomed? My sense is that you'd end up with equivalent, if not greater, acreage of groomed terrain off of HG.

Yes, I think that would be correct. I'd be happy with giving up OG groomed runs for some runs down a half-bumped RC occasionally. It is nice to mix up the trails a bit. I just wanted to chime in on behalf of those of us in the middle-ground who like steeper groomers.

HowieT2
12-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Any construction update? Pictures?

Lostone
12-05-2008, 09:33 AM

Why would this be in this thread??? Did... Did we get lost? :lol:

HowieT2
12-05-2008, 12:58 PM

Why would this be in this thread??? Did... Did we get lost? :lol:

My bad. I'll repost in the appropriate thread.