PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Run??

Dawn Patrol
11-24-2008, 03:05 PM
Can someone explain the decision to blow on coffee run instead of gondolier?? I was riding with a couple of boarders and it was PAINFUL for them... Especially when Heaven's Gate went down.. It seems like gondolier is shorter than coffee run, and definitely more convenient...

summitchallenger
11-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Can someone explain the decision to blow on coffee run instead of gondolier?? I was riding with a couple of boarders and it was PAINFUL for them... Especially when Heaven's Gate went down.. It seems like gondolier is shorter than coffee run, and definitely more convenient...

A few possible reasons come to mind:

1. Coffee Run is narrower and more sheltered than Gondolier. = Less snow to be blown and less likely to lose snow.
2. Terrain park was set up on Lower, Lower Spring Fling, off of Coffee Run.
3. The next terrain expansion is Spring Fling, which ties into Coffee Run.

And if these are the same snowboarders I saw this weekend, i.e. the ones who were bombing down Deathspout, the one who decided to do a 360 into me on Lower Jester, then they had enough speed to get through that run :roll:

Strat
11-24-2008, 04:11 PM
IMO, if you carry any sort of speed off of Lower Jester, and you have a snowboard that has been tuned in the last 3 years, you shouldn't have much problem making it through Coffee Run, unless the snow is extremely sticky...

SummitChallenger: I know you know this already, but don't let a couple of goons ruin your image of the average snowboarder. There are a lot of us who are very respectful and well-behaved; it's just unfortunate that you had to run into the minority. Here's to mountain etiquette and responsibility on any number of planks 8)

shadyjay
11-24-2008, 04:18 PM
I've actually had more issues on Godolier than Coffee Run, in terms of keeping speed/stalling out. Coffee Run during the regular season is one of those "nice quiet runs" as Gondolier gets you to the same place, only faster (unless you're going to VH).

And there are some wackos out there on boards... for my first day I took it chill, but when Downspout is your only way down... there's no need for the wackiness. Soon enough we'll all have room to play/jib/ride/etc. And I've had plenty of skiers nearly crash into me too, so it goes both ways.

summitchallenger
11-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Sorry to stereotype guys, but honestly there was a pack of about 10-15 teen snowboarders literally bombing down Deathspout on Saturday afternoon....

Lostone
11-24-2008, 09:00 PM
I would also vote for the idea that Coffee Run is easier to keep snow on, being more sheltered.

I don't have to skate to get thru Coffee Run, so snowboarders should be able to do it without trouble.

I also agree with shadyjay, that there are a significant number of riders who have trouble getting up the little incline beyond the bridge, on Gondolier.

Strat
11-24-2008, 09:07 PM
I also agree with shadyjay, that there are a significant number of riders who have trouble getting up the little incline beyond the bridge, on Gondolier.

You do indeed have to carry a lot of speed to make it through there; personally I always try to go as fast as possible down the steep incline right before in order to sustain the momentum to make it all the way through... however I always do so with a clear look at the conditions and the people downslope of me, in order to make sure that in gaining that much speed I'm not endangering anyone (other than myself 8) )

skiladi
11-24-2008, 09:55 PM

more sarcasm , right? never had a problem riding coffee run with my board. ; }

Hardbooter
11-25-2008, 11:24 AM
It isn't a problem with the run. I think those guys (gals) need to tune their boards. I stopped under bravo at the top of gondolier on one of my trips down and was still able to make it down coffee run with no problem. I was even able get a turn or two in the fresh snow at the bottom of mall.
The only place I routinely get slowed enough to skate is when exiting castlerock on a fresh snow day. Once and a while I come to a stop once I get out onto gondoleir. I don't usually get stuck but it's always really slow.

In the end, I don't really care on which route SB blows snow, I just want to give Win and crew kudos for getting the mountain open top to bottom for opening day. Nice work. I hope you aren't getting to much r*** today (Tuesday.)