PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day Powder Alert!

atkinson
11-22-2008, 08:32 AM
It is totally dumping this morning and the first people just got in line for first chair of 2008-2009.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/IMG_3482.jpg

Oh yeah!

John

HowieT2
11-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Have fun you lucky SOBs

Sincerely,

Jealous

HowieT2
11-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Have fun you lucky SOBs

Sincerely,

Jealous

mattlucas
11-22-2008, 10:04 AM
hurrah!

that's awesome news.

atkinson
11-22-2008, 02:46 PM
A couple of pics from today ...

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/IMG_3487.jpg
Coach Kevin was having trouble keeping the snow out of his face.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/IMG_3485.jpg
Our first lessons of the year. They ripped up the base area, so we took them up Bravo. Smiles all around!

John

skierdon
11-22-2008, 04:39 PM
well...... how was it!!!!!?????!!!!!!!

summitchallenger
11-22-2008, 05:11 PM
It was very nice. I am so glad that everyone in here bailed at the last minute. Deep snow up top....the open runs had some nice chowder on them.

Tin Woodsman
11-22-2008, 07:00 PM
It was very nice. I am so glad that everyone in here bailed at the last minute. Deep snow up top....the open runs had some nice chowder on them.

Enough snow to poach anything? Not that you would, of course.

Lostone
11-22-2008, 07:07 PM
I thought it was quite good, but I was working and only got in a few runs. I don't think I got in one that I didn't have some freshies.

As people were finishing their day, I was asking how they thought it was, and everyone said it was awesome or great, except for one guy. He said it was ok, but when I told him that he had to go back up and do it right, he "admitted" it was great. :lol:

It was cold, but not real winter cold. Still... when that wind blew... that wind blew. And it was blowing some snow into spots where I could find it as freshies. :wink:

Lostone
11-22-2008, 07:11 PM
While on the Heaven's Gate chair, I saw a couple guys coming out of Paradise. There was significant snow there, but one of them hit a more significant waterbar, and went down.

Various other sets of tracks, and heard of patrol pulling a pass, for someone who'd made one of them.

Short season? :cry:

HowieT2
11-22-2008, 07:26 PM
While on the Heaven's Gate chair, I saw a couple guys coming out of Paradise. There was significant snow there, but one of them hit a more significant waterbar, and went down.

Various other sets of tracks, and heard of patrol pulling a pass, for someone who'd made one of them.

Short season? :cry:

how much did it snow?
I'm so bummed I didn't come up but so id the wife so that may help for next week.

jwt
11-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Bush site says 16 " - no liying in those numbers - light and dry, wind filled in thruout the day - mine ended at 2PM it never stopped snowing prettty hard all day - between 9-10A shin and a few knee swas easy to find on the sides of 'Dreamspout' and Jester.

snowing at 1200 feet at north.

Not a blade of grass visible on Rip or Spills, jus t nothing underneath, only saw boarders in the woods - too light and dry to hold anything in there.

Just a great opening day and no lines - at least at the chairs. . . . . .
predicting 3-5 at the airport tonight.

If that holds true tomorrow will be better than this morning, We'll see. . . .

freeheel_skier
11-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Getting stoked. I have daycare duty tomorrow while my wife is @ work. Looking forward to Monday :wink:

mattlucas
11-22-2008, 09:49 PM
good job getting it dudes....that's pretty funny about the guy getting his pass pulled. I hope they give it back after he's learned his lesson (maybe missing one snowstorm?).

Treeskier
11-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Very very thin underneath but did get my first face shot! :)
The mountain had done a great job. Lots of snow! Even a few bumps to play on.

Hawk
11-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Poaching was widespread on trails like lower domino, lower organgrinder and any low angle pitches. Be warned that this snow is very light and if you don't plain out on top you go right to the bottom. Also the patrol was out in force. I saw the result of this several times. :shock:
Once ths snow settles we will have a good base and the woods will not be to far away. :wink:

Hawk
11-23-2008, 08:42 AM
By the way it's 14 degrees at the hill with light breezes. They say OG is going to be online and the patrol hand packed Spills. Lets just hope........

madskier6
11-23-2008, 04:46 PM
Would they really pull a season pass for the whole year because the person skied a closed trail on opening day? That seems a little harsh to me. I understand they have to enforce the closed trails & it's a safety/liability issue. But still that seems too extreme of a punishment. Perhaps they'll only deny him a week or month's worth of skiing.