PDA

View Full Version : Which trails open on Saturday?

scharny
11-21-2008, 08:36 AM
Sorry to have to ask, but I have a 4-month-old daughter and only have so many solo ski cards I can play this winter.

As far as this weekend is concerned, I can only get out of the house on Saturday...and...

I know that Jester is a timeless classic, but what are the chances Organgrinder will be open Sat AM?

Any way we can get a definite trail count by this evening?

Thanks in advance.... :oops:

skibum1321
11-21-2008, 09:32 AM
It's been said in a number of other places that OG may be open on Sunday - It will not be open on Sat. There will be one way down the mtn -> Jester, Downspout, Lower Downspout, Allyn's Traverse, Lower Jester and Coffee Run to the base. You could always try reading the snow report ;)

I've decided that it's just not worth the drive since Deathspout will definitely be living up to its name this weekend.

Lostone
11-21-2008, 09:33 AM
We will be turning on both the Bravo and Heaven's Gate lifts at 9am Saturday morning and skiing Jester to Downspout and down across Coffee Run to the bottom.

Hawk
11-21-2008, 10:15 AM
It has been my experience that the mountain estimates conservatively and then pops us with the good news. :wink: With that thought in mind, I would not count out organ grinder.

I don't understand the Deathspout thing. I have never had a problem navigating it even on busy day's. It's funny but I kind of like it early season. It's like a video game dodging all the obsticles. :wink: Anyway it's sad to miss opening day because of the lore of one trail. :(

skiladi
11-21-2008, 10:23 AM
It has been my experience that the mountain estimates conservatively and then pops us with the good news. :wink: With that thought in mind, I would not count out organ grinder.

I don't understand the Deathspout thing. I have never had a problem navigating it even on busy day's. It's funny but I kind of like it early season. It's like a video game dodging all the obsticles. :wink: Anyway it's sad to miss opening day because of the lore of one trail. :(

You an old K-mart skier? It's not my favorite trail but it's not a problem for me. I like to find creative ways around it when the coverage is there :wink: But I can understand how it might make some people squirrelly. Depends on how bad a fix you need whether this weekend is the time for you. I guess you can tell by how many posts I've made this a.m. that I am in bad need of feeding the addiction...lol Hawk , did you go to Sunday River last weekend? Looked too wet for me to spend the $$.

summitchallenger
11-21-2008, 11:15 AM
I agree with the Deathspout Comment. I don't like it, but it is better than nothing. I wish that they could devise/plan another route for early season to avoid that bottleneck...but that would require adding snowmaking on at least the Traverse from Lower OG to HG Triple.

Hawk
11-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Yup, and your assessment was correct. We skied in the mist and light rain most of the day. The positive thing was that the entire run top to bottom had nice soft bumps. I saw tons of old friends and had a blast apre at the Grizzly. Now time to head home and do some real skiing!

ski_resort_observer
11-21-2008, 12:51 PM
I agree with the Deathspout Comment. I don't like it, but it is better than nothing. I wish that they could devise/plan another route for early season to avoid that bottleneck...but that would require adding snowmaking on at least the Traverse from Lower OG to HG Triple.

There is another option and easier way to get to the Heaven's Gate...it's even on the trail sign just as you get past the first curve on Downspout from AL but no one ever seems to see it. Lostone knows it and since he's a genuine for real Mountain Guide I defer to him to give directions.... :wink: Course, it probably won't be open this weekend.

Lostone
11-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Actually, that is the one SC was referring to, that would require snowmaking on the Heaven's Gate Traverse. It can be ugly in there, until there is enough snow.

Remember... They're all rock skis. :wink:

skibum1321
11-21-2008, 12:58 PM
I don't have problems skiing it - it just bores me. Like I said, it's just not worth the 3+ hrs each way and the associated costs to go up this weekend. I have no attachment to opening day - the skiing doesn't start getting really interesting until the woods have some cover.

win
11-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Upper Organgrinder looks like a lock for Sunday. Possibility it could open Saturday pm, but that depends on the snowmaking and the natural tonight. There are a couple of deep water bars near the bottom. Stay tuned!