PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News

win
11-20-2008, 04:54 PM
I have always wanted to be an investigative reporter, and now I have a scoop that you are hearing here first.

Mike Henzel, the owner of Miguel's before Steve Fowler, is opening a new Mexican restaurant in the old Phoenix restaurant. Miguel's at Sugarbush will most likely be open prior to Christmas week. This is great news for all!

Yard Sale
11-20-2008, 05:00 PM
That is good news! Will they serving boooze? Entertainment? And while we're on village eats, is Mutha Stuffa's still open?

win
11-20-2008, 05:22 PM
From what he told me this will be family oriented. Booze, yes. Entertainment, no. Mutha Stuffa is going strong. I had an excellent sandwhich there last week.

Strat
11-20-2008, 05:26 PM
That is fantastic news! Mexican's triumphant return to the valley! Is there going to be any Sugarbush-Miguel's partnership or anything, like deals for Clay Brook customers? That would definitely get some people flowing over there...

win
11-20-2008, 05:43 PM
We will definitely do all we can to support him and the other local businesses. We want everyone to succeed! Once Mike is up and running, we will certainly be chatting more with him.

HowieT2
11-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Awesome! I've been bemoaning the lack of mexican since the last place closed. And it is a well established and capitalized purveyor to boot. Tequila anyone?

Tin Woodsman
11-20-2008, 05:57 PM
nm

EXskier
11-20-2008, 06:03 PM
Not to be a buzz kill, but I must admit I am a bit bummed, while great to have the food, my housemates (20 of them) are more interested in finding the elusive fun non family spot for singles to have fun and mingle (other than the HydeAway). This means that one potential venue for entertainment is gone. There is already plenty of places to eat but few to none that offer good entertainment at night.

Sail or Ski
11-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Seems to me like a house of 20 is already a party...........

mikec13
11-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Doesn't the Purple Cow?(I am sure I have the name wrong...it is across from Flatbread and right next to a restaurant) have music on weekends? I thought they had 1 or 2 person music groups that played...it is a pretty small place...probably couldn't handle a group of 20...I empathize with the need for an active and lively bar scene eventhough those days are behind me(sort of...still like to mix it up a bit but prioroties change)

ski_resort_observer
11-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Doesn't the Purple Cow?(I am sure I have the name wrong...it is across from Flatbread and right next to a restaurant) have music on weekends? I thought they had 1 or 2 person music groups that played...it is a pretty small place...probably couldn't handle a group of 20...I empathize with the need for an active and lively bar scene eventhough those days are behind me(sort of...still like to mix it up a bit but prioroties change)

The Purple Moon did have live music last winter then after partying all night you can go to the Spotted Cow for breakfast. :wink:

skierdon
11-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Not to be a buzz kill, but I must admit I am a bit bummed, while great to have the food, my housemates (20 of them) are more interested in finding the elusive fun non family spot for singles to have fun and mingle (other than the HydeAway). This means that one potential venue for entertainment is gone. There is already plenty of places to eat but few to none that offer good entertainment at night.

I agree Exskier. The Phoenix will definitely be missed for its late night 20-30's entertainment. Last year our house had a solid crew there on a regular basis. Hopefully the CP will step it up this winter to fill the void.

Hawk
11-21-2008, 08:10 AM

Ahhh, the old topic of where to party. :roll: I here you bro. Well the Warren House is still out there. Maybe some one will figure it out and make the investment. Win, got any friends that want to get into the entertainment business? :wink: I can not see a place with good entertainment and a fine selection of microbrews not making money. If it is a good place they will corner the market.

On the other side of this, I can not complain about Miguel's. When it existed across from the bridges it was a staple in my diet. :) Now I can walk down from my place and enjoy one of my favorite food groups!!!

teleo
11-21-2008, 08:53 AM
This is awesome news. Since I have a kid and a condo nearby it works out way better for me. But I can sympathize with those looking for nightlife.

Lostone
11-21-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm cautiously optimistic. I like the sound of the family oriented idea.

While some of you had good times at the Phoenix, many of his neighbors had many problems from not being able to park in our parking lot, because of people parking there, to go to the bar, to an explosion, fire and significant damage. And there was a lot a lot between.

I don't miss the Phoenix at all.

I hope Miguel's does well. Remember that if you like them, you need to support them. Less so, as we get into being more of a four season resort area, but it has been a hard place for restaurants, with business on Friday and Saturday nights for less than 6 months.

freeheel_skier
11-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Very pumped to have Mexican back! Can't wait to check it out. Mmmmm enchiladas 8)

mattlucas
11-21-2008, 10:30 AM
yeah, i used to walk down to miguels from Mountainside....the new location will be even closer.

also, is still Bernard running Chez Henri solo?
He's really a great guy, and I don't want to take away from that at all but I'd really like to see Henri one last time tearing it through the gates or over a bowl of french onion soup.
But, that place is a classic no matter which one of them runs it.

skiladi
11-21-2008, 10:37 AM
yeah, i used to walk down to miguels from Mountainside....the new location will be even closer.

also, is still Bernard running Chez Henri solo?
He's really a great guy, and I don't want to take away from that at all but I'd really like to see Henri one last time tearing it through the gates or over a bowl of french onion soup.
But, that place is a classic no matter which one of them runs it.

Or with a glass of red wine in his hand! ; }

mattlucas
11-21-2008, 10:47 AM
I just hope it didn't sound like I was dissing Bernard, I used to wash dishes sometimes there during busy weekends many years ago when I was in college and I forgot to get my last paycheck for a bunch of days of work. It was on my mind next winter when it started snowing, and I went down there to get some dinner and to chat with my old peeps if they were still around when I mentioned the issue of the last check. Bernard apologized as if it was his fault and cut me a check on the spot.

Anyway, he's a class act and the food is dead on. I doubt that there is anyone on this board that hasn't been there but consider this a serious plug for the. I also hope they get a special place in the anniversary weekend because they are literally living sugarbush history.

Tin Woodsman
11-21-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm cautiously optimistic. I like the sound of the family oriented idea.

While some of you had good times at the Phoenix, many of his neighbors had many problems from not being able to park in our parking lot, because of people parking there, to go to the bar, to an explosion, fire and significant damage. And there was a lot a lot between.

I don't miss the Phoenix at all.

I think this is a little bit of NIMBY parochialism. If you love SB and want it to succeed long term, you have to realize that there must be something to keep the single 20 and 30 somethings interested on weekends and holidays. If that inconveniences you or your neighbors at times, I think that's the price you have to be willing to pay. You can't please everyone with any location.

Hopefully the CR Pub and the other new additionas in the Valley provide a bridge to a more active scene at the LP base area in 4-5 years time when (if?) the buildout is at a more advanced stage, a center of gravity begins to develop, and connectivity to the SB Village is established.

Lostone
11-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Sugarbush succeeded quite a while without the Phoenix. It was a poorly run operation whose price I was not willing to pay.

It may have been a NIMBY, but it was agreed by almost all in this building. Don't remember the Phoenix supporters trying to defray our significant extra costs. Quite the opposite, they could easily have made things better for the neighbors. They didn't. I don't miss the Phoenix, and those who do spent very little time around here.

teleo
11-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Actually I think this could work out well if CR Pub picks up the nighttime party scene and starts booking bands at night. Sugarbush Village is a good location for a family oriented restaurant, but not as good for the nighttime party scene with all the condo's a few feet away and limited parking. CR Pub seems to be a better location for the nightime party scene as it is not as close to condos or Claybrook and has plenty of parking. As long as they can keep the partygoers from annoying the Claybrook folks.

Disclosure: I'm in the SB village - so I could be accused of NIMBYism. But I do like having a restaurant in the old Pheonix location.

Dawn Patrol
11-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Haha.. The title of this thread reminded me of:

Ladies and gentlemen, can I please have your attention. I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story. I need all of you, to stop what you're doing and listen...

and

How now brown cow.. How now brown cow.... Unique New York.. Unique New York.

:-)

PS. Glad someone's filling the building, sad I can't eat mexican...

KingM
11-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the news, Win. Very happy to have Mexican back in the valley. Now, if we could just get some Thai and/or Indian, I'd be very happy.

Hardbooter
11-21-2008, 06:39 PM
As far as restaurants go, I'd like to see American Flatbread expand into retail space in the new buildings that might arrive in the next few seasons. People love flatbread and they're willing to wait an hour or two. There is definitely demand in the valley and it would really round out the base area. Especially if there was live music and more of a "scene" at the castlerock pub.

Of course, we'd have to make room for a fire pit near the beginner chair or something. :)

HowieT2
11-22-2008, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the news, Win. Very happy to have Mexican back in the valley. Now, if we could just get some Thai and/or Indian, I'd be very happy.

I'll second that. Can't have everything but Thai and/or indian would be great.

Tin Woodsman
11-22-2008, 10:12 AM
As far as restaurants go, I'd like to see American Flatbread expand into retail space in the new buildings that might arrive in the next few seasons. People love flatbread and they're willing to wait an hour or two. There is definitely demand in the valley and it would really round out the base area. Especially if there was live music and more of a "scene" at the castlerock pub.

Of course, we'd have to make room for a fire pit near the beginner chair or something. :)
That's actualy a really good idea. Question is whether they'd be open more than just Friday and Saturday.

labwab198
12-02-2008, 11:16 AM
I'm with Lostone. I have a unit in Center Village that was destroyed by an explosion/fire caused by a Phoenix patron. If anyone had been in the unit that night there would have been either a death or serious injury as the fire shot up the wall next to the bed. That I believe is a little bit more of an inconvenience than I should have to bear.

I will not miss the Phoenix with the cursing, loud arguments, and genereal mess that surrounded the place. I agree that 20 to 30 somethings need a place to hang--but that is not in an area where there is a high concentration of condos. It would be much better served to be located in the business district where music and loud noises won't disturb anyone.

I certainly hope that the Mexican Family Restaurant is a big success.

ski_resort_observer
12-02-2008, 11:30 AM
[quote="Hardbooter"]As far as restaurants go, I'd like to see American Flatbread expand into retail space in the new buildings that might arrive in the next few seasons. People love flatbread and they're willing to wait an hour or two. There is definitely demand in the valley and it would really round out the base area. Especially if there was live music and more of a "scene" at the castlerock pub.

[quote]Question is whether they'd be open more than just Friday and Saturday.

Real question is why would they want to do that? They are too busy during the week making and shipping out hundreds of pizzas to grocery stores in the northeast. Weekend is the only time the wholesale production is shut down. Maybe they can expand down the road but that would be counter-productive regarding the mission George has built the business on.

Tin Woodsman
12-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Question is whether they'd be open more than just Friday and Saturday.

Real question is why would they want to do that? They are too busy during the week making and shipping out hundreds of pizzas to grocery stores in the northeast. Weekend is the only time the wholesale production is shut down. Maybe they can expand down the road but that would be counter-productive regarding the mission George has built the business on.

I don't disagree with that at all. The problem is that I doubt they are paying rent in their current premises (safe to assume they own the bldg?), so opening the restaurant only Friday and Saturday makes financial sense. It would be really hard to justify same with an outlet in LP Village where the rent would be due every month. Given that the peak season is just 4 months long, you'd have to be open every day to justify the expense me thinks. IOW, I doubt it would come to pass.

Hardbooter
12-02-2008, 04:00 PM
You are right that Flatbread doesn't pay rent (although maybe a mortgage.) A few years ago they bought the farm... I mean literally. They bought Larue Farm from the people who ran the inn. I think the same people (I've forgotten her name) run the inn, they just don't own it anymore.

As far as setting up shop at the in the new building at Sugarbush, they have been franchising lately. Flatbread has sister restaurants in Burlington and New Hampshire and Mass. I'm pretty sure that those restaurants are independently owned but have some agreement to follow the Flatbread model. That's really what I think would work at Sugarbush. What we need is some budding restauranteur to set up a franchise. There is certainly enough customer demand although it may be hard to start a new business if no bank will give you a loan with the current economic outlook. Also, it would be fairly seasonal. I'm not convinced that the mountain can support two year round dinner restaurants. I've seen Timbers looking pretty empty on some summer evenings.

ski_resort_observer
12-02-2008, 05:55 PM
There is one right on the water in Portland, Maine. Great location and a beautiful property. Been there for about 5 years. The first time we went it was good but bad pizza the next two times stopped our going there. They have the name and the MO to produce the product but I feel the pizza at the Waitsfield restaurant is superior and consistant.

Dawn Patrol
12-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Is American Flatbread the pizza they sell in Paradise in the white box??

Hardbooter
12-03-2008, 10:13 AM
If it's frozen and expensive then that's probably it. It's also for sale in whole foods and a bunch of other places. Nothing beats sitting down at a table in the restaurant though. The pizza is best fresh.

On the other hand, that is my favorite restaurant almost anywhere, but no food is worth a two hour wait. I don't care how good it is.

Dawn Patrol
12-03-2008, 10:19 AM
That is the worst pizza I've ever had in my entire life... We bought two pies because the box was all organic looking and such.. Baked them up. Five people took one bite and were done. My buddy lovingly walked over to his gf who had just gotten out of the shower and put a piece in her mouth, she actually spit it out... Ended up throwing out the pies..

Hardbooter
12-03-2008, 10:23 AM
That might not have been the same pizza or maybe you somehow got a bad box or something. Keep in mind that people are willing to wait two hours or more and pay some pretty inflated prices in the store. I know a lot of people that consider that pizza (mostly the restaurant stuff) to be the best they have ever had, anywhere. You should try the restaurant some time.

Strat
12-03-2008, 10:25 AM
I've always liked the stuff that comes frozen... not quite as good as in the restaurant, but a great snack on a winter day to be sure.

Everyone has to remember though: it's not pizza, it's flatbread. Yes, it's some tasty stuff thrown on a bread disk, but it certainly shouldn't be compared to its NYC or Chicago cousins.

Dawn Patrol
12-03-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm willing to give it a second shot.. But I am somewhat of a pizza snob being from the tri state area and all..

Tin Woodsman
12-03-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm willing to give it a second shot.. But I am somewhat of a pizza snob being from the tri state area and all..
As a fellow tri-state resident, I can assure you that going to the restaurant will be a worthwhile experience. I'm not going to say "best pizza evahhhhh!!!" but it's pretty good stuff on a nice, homey atmosphere.

noski
12-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Everyone has to remember though: it's not pizza, it's flatbread. Absolutely correct. We buy the flatbreads by the case when we can at their wholesale events. We always doctor them up with additional toppings of veggies, goat cheese, etc. The key is don't overload them and DON'T overbake them. When they say bake 7 minutes, that is what you do.

HowieT2
12-03-2008, 02:02 PM
My son, 12, a tri state pizza connoisseur (since all he eats is pizza pasta bagels and cereal), swears that the pizza at the GH is the best in the world. Of course I'm sure that has 'nothing to do with how hungry he is after a morning of skiing.

djd66
12-03-2008, 06:02 PM
That is the worst pizza I've ever had in my entire life... We bought two pies because the box was all organic looking and such.. Baked them up. Five people took one bite and were done. My buddy lovingly walked over to his gf who had just gotten out of the shower and put a piece in her mouth, she actually spit it out... Ended up throwing out the pies..

I am not sure what you were eating, but I have to day, American Flatbread is the best frozen pizza I have ever had - my wife agrees too. We thought the frozen stuff was as good as the fresh. I would say give it another shot.

ski_resort_observer
12-03-2008, 06:30 PM
The AF pizza's you buy in the store are flash frozen and you thaw it first before baking which is diferent from your usual frozen pizza. I haven't bought one in a couple years but pretty sure they say that somewhere on the box or they used to.

vonski
12-03-2008, 06:51 PM
You definitely need to follow the directions on the box. If you do not you will not like them. And do not over cook them either. So preheat the oven, defrost the pie and cook only for the time stated on the box. Also read the ingredients, they only make a few different kinds that they freeze. They are not your traditional pies with just sauce and cheese. I have tried them and don't like all of them. I also did not follow the directions once and it was awful. I think i was to tired after skiing all day to wait for it to defrost. :o :shock: BIG mistake!!!!

win
12-03-2008, 11:03 PM
I keep several of them in my freezer at all times, and since I am a single guy now that comes in very handy. The key is to let them thaw and preheat the oven to 425 and them put them in no longer than 7 minutes. I watch it carefully and use the old finger trick. If is is cold at the bottom keep it in another minute or so. The key is not to over cook!

Sugaree
12-04-2008, 08:08 AM
I'm sure barkbiter cooks his for 6 minutes.

smootharc
12-04-2008, 09:14 AM

I am not sure what you were eating, but I have to day, American Flatbread is the best frozen pizza I have ever had - my wife agrees too. We thought the frozen stuff was as good as the fresh. I would say give it another shot.

We get em at Paradise (or wherever). We particularly like the cheese/herb one (no tomato sauce). Then I slice up thin discs of apple maple chicken sausage (at Shaws, http://www.alfrescoallnatural.com/products/index.htm?pg=1&subpg=1), dice up green/red/yellow peppers (tiny squares), and cover that baby. Cook as directed. Sometimes we use ham, instead of those sausages (which we keep frozen for dinner and breakfast use).

Then, when it comes out, I take paper towels and blot the oils that have seeped from the pie (it does this with no toppings). Then we devour.

We've tried then all. All are very good. Baking on stone in oven after letting it sit on counter to come up to room temp (as per instructions), and they are the best frozen pies we've tried. Convenient, too.

Windshield Ski Bum
12-04-2008, 07:10 PM
I am a single guy now that comes in very handy.

Win, Your always welcome for a home cooked meal at my house on Rt. 17. Usual fare is simple but wholesome, always hot and fresh. It's a family atmosphere, and you never know who will be there. sometimes it's a three ring circus, other days it's quite peaceful. I'm there every Saturday and most holidays. PM me if your interested.

ski_resort_observer
12-04-2008, 09:10 PM

Win, Your always welcome for a home cooked meal at my house on Rt. 17. Usual fare is simple but wholesome, always hot and fresh. It's a family atmosphere, and you never know who will be there. sometimes it's a three ring circus, other days it's quite peaceful. I'm there every Saturday and most holidays. PM me if your interested.

The real question is, are your Crustyburgers any good? :lol: :lol:

Yard Sale
12-04-2008, 10:11 PM

Uh. . . actually that would be a Crabby Patty.

Windshield Ski Bum
12-05-2008, 07:51 AM

Uh. . . actually that would be a Crabby Patty.

Well they're a lot better than that slime at "The Chum Bucket"