PDA

View Full Version : Opening Weekend Roll-Call

summitchallenger
11-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Who will be there? Do we want to attempt to have a meeting spot and time for those who want to rendezvous?

Say 11:00 am-11:10am at the LARGE trail map on the outside of Allyn's?

vonski
11-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Being new to the forum, I will try and stop by and say hello. I will try and speak concisely as not to confuse you summitchallenger; if I get to meet you!! :D :lol:

summitchallenger
11-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Being new to the forum, I will try and stop by and say hello. I will try and speak concisely as not to confuse you summitchallenger; if I get to meet you!! :D :lol:

:lol: I know...I was just confused by that post....

skiladi
11-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Probably won't make it until Sunday. That begs the question...will there be skiing on Monday? I assume we are open for the season as of the 22nd , n'est-ce pas? ; }

Lostone
11-18-2008, 05:53 PM
I'll be there somewhere, but I'll be working that day. Map meeting is out for me.

Skiladi, that is the plan. We open on Saturday for the season. :D

shadyjay
11-18-2008, 06:10 PM
I'll be there 100% certain.... or make that 99% certain.

teleo
11-18-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm desperately trying get things done so I can be up there this weekend. I really need to get some turns. If I'm up, I'll be at Allyns at 11:00 :) Maybe 75% chance. :cry:

mikec13
11-18-2008, 10:08 PM
break from high school football and all other family activities make it look like I will make my first opening day ever!!!

HowieT2
11-19-2008, 05:41 PM
It's not looking good for me, damn work thing getting in the way. Kind of out of my hands at this point but I brought my skis to get tuned just to get the mojo going in the right direction.

win
11-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Once we are open, we try to never close. We will be open Monday!

vonski
11-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Seeing Win's Word on the sugarbush site and that there is only going to be Jester to deathspout to coffee run on Sat. I am now going to drive up Saturday morning and ski in the afternoon and ski Sunday as well. It looks like Grinder should be open on Sunday giving a couple choices off the top. So, I will have to meet you all some other time. :(

shadyjay
11-20-2008, 06:35 PM
I may hit up Sunday instead... one route down may be a bit taxing. See how it goes.

summitchallenger
11-20-2008, 07:07 PM
I am there both days. One route or two, I have paid a lot of money for the pass and I can't ski M-F. So I can't be too picky. Saturday will be solo. Sunday may have the GF with me and may or may not be up for a rendezvous.

Lostone
11-20-2008, 07:26 PM
I may hit up Sunday instead... one route down may be a bit taxing. See how it goes.

So... You've got what that is better to do than take a few runs and sit down in Timbers and toast the new season? :wink:

You've got your pass and your board. It will cost you gas, and that is much cheaper than this time last month. 8)

shadyjay
11-20-2008, 08:40 PM
Probably no Timbers for me... I'm a Castlerock Pub guy. And now I hear its not gonna be open till Christmas? That's a bummer. By the time it opens, I'll be over at ME.

Pass - check
Board - check
Gloves - found 'em in my boot bag :) - no need to spend extra $ when you're unemployed
Cruiser - took it on a 2-mile ride 'round town - still runs after sitting idle for a week
Gas - still got half a tank left from when I had to use it as the "work vehicle" and they paid for my gas.
Actual expenses for a day or two at the mtn: $0
Riding your favorite mountain before Thanksgiving: Priceless
There are some things money can't buy... for everything else, there's a day (or 2 or 3 or 50) of riding at Sugarbush

summitchallenger
11-20-2008, 10:01 PM
OK folks...no excuses. We don't bite...and even though I am a lawyer, I will not make you sign a liability waiver...for this weekend at least :wink:

We spend all year 'yaking about skiing and riding and when it finally comes people are going to wait another day or two???? Remember last year at this time we were so lucky to open a weekend early....and even then we had to download. Less terrain and it was great. This weekend we are top to bottom and it will be bluebird skies and cold, crisp air. No excuses. :wink:

I'm sure I will run into the usual suspects...I seem to find Lostone and SRO....

teleo
11-21-2008, 08:47 AM
My daughter got sick last night, combined with work right now, unlikely I'll be up on Sat. Might try for sun, but that could be dicy too. :cry: :cry: Will there be an 11:00 on Sun?

Dawn Patrol
11-21-2008, 09:05 AM
I'll be up. Blue cloudveil shell black pants and a black helmet with visor. Say hi if you see me!

skiladi
11-21-2008, 09:28 AM
My daughter got sick last night, combined with work right now, unlikely I'll be up on Sat. Might try for sun, but that could be dicy too. :cry: :cry: Will there be an 11:00 on Sun?

Hope she's better. I'll look for you at 11 on Sun. but I don't think the trees are ready for us...

freeheel_skier
11-21-2008, 09:31 AM

I have one kid sick and One getting sick. :shock: The classrooms are petri dishes. Why do they get flu shots anyway? :roll: I am out for the weekend but in for Monday/Tuesday.

HowieT2
11-21-2008, 09:35 AM
OK folks...no excuses. We don't bite...and even though I am a lawyer, I will not make you sign a liability waiver...for this weekend at least :wink:

We spend all year 'yaking about skiing and riding and when it finally comes people are going to wait another day or two???? Remember last year at this time we were so lucky to open a weekend early....and even then we had to download. Less terrain and it was great. This weekend we are top to bottom and it will be bluebird skies and cold, crisp air. No excuses. :wink:

I'm sure I will run into the usual suspects...I seem to find Lostone and SRO....

Your a lawyer? then you should understand. I'm picking a jury and the judge won't give us an answer whether we're starting the trial now or after thanksgiving. :evil:

summitchallenger
11-21-2008, 09:49 AM

Sunday: For me, maybe. Depends on if I am solo or not.

In general, the idea with this was to have a time and a place for folks to meet if they wanted to meet other folks from AZ or SkiMRV. Basically, if you want to meet others, you show. If not, no biggie.

I've met Teleo and Howie (briefly I think).

Howie: that sux regarding trial. Am working on an appeal that just came in the door....

Yard Sale
11-21-2008, 03:13 PM
We're out for this week end. So please enjoy, but preferably enjoy with a camera and take a photo or two or three . . . .

TIA

summitchallenger
11-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Update: GF thinks she may come tomorrow. So depending on what day, I may or may not be at the meeting spot at 11am. Otherwise, if I make it I make it. But 11am at the Allyn's Map for anyone who can make a few runs and who wants to meet folks from here....

Nothing formal. If you make it, you make it, if not, no biggie.

ski_resort_observer
11-21-2008, 04:32 PM

Don't get me into any trouble....I hope to see ya but it won't be on the mountain skiing...:wink: :lol:

Windshield Ski Bum
11-21-2008, 07:47 PM
I met Teleo at the map this time last year, and had a few great turns with him, however, I cant make it this year. Alas, there is no skiing for me. I fully ruptured my Achilles tendon , and just had surgery 16 days ago. I will have to live my ski life vicariously through all of you.

Lostone
11-21-2008, 08:08 PM
That was terrible timing, not that any timing would be good for that. Sorry to hear of it.

teleo
11-22-2008, 10:44 AM
So sorry to hear that WSB. Good luck with the recovery.
I'm stuck at work today, but am looking to be there on Sun. Have fun all of you lucky enough to be skiing right now.

shadyjay
11-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Well I made it out today... great day! Did about 7 runs, of which 5 were the Jester-<Downspout and the others were down to the base. Got stuck on HG for 10 mins or so - no big deal, until the lift was shut down by the time I circled back around. This was around 11:30. So I headed down, back up the Bravo, and down Downspout, and... still closed. Seeing as how I had about 3 hours of riding, I was happy... now a little sore.

Jester and Lower Downspout/Coffee Run were terrific - Downspout was good first thing, but when HG was down, its condition deteriorated. I mainly stayed right and found mostly powder except a spot or two. Everything else was great. Organgrinder - that'll wait for another day.

Heading down to CT for an extended Thanksgiving visit on Monday... will return to the slopes no later than 12/2.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Lostone
11-23-2008, 08:50 PM
If you had come to the 11:00 meeting, you would have missed getting stuck on the lift. On the bad side, you'd have missed one more run down Jester.

I had just come down Jester and stopped just below Allyn's Lodge. I remembered the meeting, thought it had to be real near 11:00. I checked my watch, saw it said 11:07. Looked up and saw two people at the map. Recognized one as Summit Challenger.

Started back up and recognized the other as teleo. As I continued to make my way up, skiladi came up to them. We waited a few minutes for skiladi to warm up a touch, then skied down to Heaven's Gate, where we found the lift to be stopped. While we were standing there, Villager skied into the singles' line.

Waited for a bit, then decided to make a lap. Down to Bravo, where Villager went in, and the rest of us back up Bravo. Did a quick video segment and headed back to Heaven's Gate, where it was still stopped.

Back to the bottom, where I separated, calling it a day, with no complaints.

shadyjay
11-23-2008, 09:36 PM
If you had come to the 11:00 meeting, you would have missed getting stuck on the lift. On the bad side, you'd have missed one more run down Jester.

You know, I was thinking of the meeting but for some reason thought it was at 10am, and then I realized it was after 11 so I pressed ahead. I did pause at the bottom of Jester at Allyn's Lodge but saw noone at the big map. Definetely not complaining - a great day, and comfortable temps and some bluebird!

Did HG ever get back up and running?

summitchallenger
11-24-2008, 08:19 AM
Did HG ever get back up and running?

Yes, at 2pm I heard.....