PDA

View Full Version : Mark Johnson Show Featuring Eric Friedman TODAY at 9am

summitchallenger
11-18-2008, 08:21 AM
I meant to put this up last night, but was a bit busy.

The Mark Johnson Call-In Show (http://www.markjohnsonshow.com/) is having Eric Friedman from MRG on the air this morning and you can call in and ask questions. I think you may be also able to ask questions via E-mail. mark@gmavt.net is the address. The show is on at 9am. You can listen online by clicking on the link on the lefthand side of this page. (http://www.wdevradio.com/index-progs.asp#streamlist)

Podcasts are on Mark's site later today.

Lostone
11-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Never heard of him. (Guess who doesn't listen to DEV?)

Caught the last 10 minutes, or so. Seems like they were pushing the Mad River book.

Anyone listen? Thoughts?

summitchallenger
11-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Ditto. They were talking about the history and pushing the book. Mark is odd because he lets some people call on and ramble on and on for like ten minutes. They had one woman call up and I swear she was on for ten minutes...the jest of it: her and her friends ski MRG and don't understand why the intermediate terrain isn't marketed more.

Other than that, interesting. I was a bit disappointed...so much to talk about and they didn't really scratch the surface IMHO. Some discussion about the history. Explanation for snowboard ban.

noski
11-18-2008, 10:47 AM
I listened. They had Mary Kerr on as well who is a long time MRG skier, former editor of the Valley Reporter and the writer of the MRG anniversary book. Callers remarked about the 'feel' of MRG. MRG celebrates 60 years to Sugarbush's 50 years this season. Eric was as articulate as always, also promoting the MRV as offering the best and most diverse ski experience anywhere.

ski_resort_observer
11-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Never heard of him. (Guess who doesn't listen to DEV?)

Caught the last 10 minutes, or so. Seems like they were pushing the Mad River book.

Anyone listen? Thoughts?

I used to try to listen to Mark Johnson's show as much as possible, great way to get a more detailed understanding of Vermont politics and the folks in that arena from both sides, the government and the citizens. Now that 95.1 is my default local station I don't catch it very often.

Eric is the Marketing Manager of MRG and has been it's public face for many years. In the mid 90's we used to either share a booth or be next to each other at many of the region's big ski shows. Back then it seemed we focused more on the MRV as the destination rather than the individual ski hills. MRG season passholders got a reduced rate in the early season when the Bush was open and MRG was not. He's a totally swell guy and fun to hang out with.

Back then Tim Piper, now co-owner and manager of Inn at the Round Barn was the Bush's Director of Sales and he too was alot of fun to be around.

Lostone
11-18-2008, 11:23 AM
I would have to disagree with the diverse part of the statement. We have a lot more diversity of terrain, and more of every level. I started skiing Sugarbush regularly because I had decided there was a greater diversity of terrain here than any other area in Northern Vermont. I think Burke is the only area I haven't skied, up here.

That said, I'm not disagreeing that MRG is a great little area.

I've met Eric a number of times and always found him to be friendly, lively and articulate. He's a great face for the mountain.

summitchallenger
11-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Lostone: Burke's strength is in its diversity of terrain as well...just not its quantity...

noski
11-18-2008, 01:04 PM
I would have to disagree with the diverse part of the statement. We have a lot more diversity of terrain, and more of every level. I started skiing Sugarbush regularly because I had decided there was a greater diversity of terrain here than any other area in Northern Vermont. I think Burke is the only area I haven't skied, up here.

That said, I'm not disagreeing that MRG is a great little area.

I've met Eric a number of times and always found him to be friendly, lively and articulate. He's a great face for the mountain.

Lostone- you'll note I said the diversity of terrain in teh MRV, not MRG..... he was talking about Sugarbush/MRG/MRV skiing.

Lostone
11-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Then I would have to agree with him. Like I said, I would never say that MRG wasn't a good area, and I have to like Sugarbush, or why would I live here, so together, they are a terrific resource.

As for what I would point out best about the MRV is the people. Like I said, I loved the "Discover our good nature" slogan. Ask me sometime, in person about my description of the valley. :wink: