PDA

View Full Version : Damage Report???

summitchallenger
11-16-2008, 09:58 AM
How did we make out after the r*(ns? Looks like on Killington's cam that all natural snow was wiped out...and not much snowmaking stuff is left over...at the bottom at least.

Temps yesterday were in the 60's at the base of LP and in the 50's up top I saw. :o

ahm
11-16-2008, 10:05 AM
I hiked to the top of ME yesterday about noon - 2 pm. There was no natural snow, except a few spots on BD. However, the snowmaking that was on elbow and cruiser remained solid. I walked around on elbow a bit at the NR top station and that snow was stable and could have been skied. I didn't ski because I knew I'd need to take my gear off before Glenn House and hike it back down so just went for the hike. It misted the entire hike, but was comfortable and a good way to kill a couple hours. Based on what I saw, I think any snowmaking at LP (which is probably further along) survived pretty much intact and with cold temps predicted for the week, I think that opening on Sat is within the cards. AHM

Lostone
11-16-2008, 10:39 AM
From my little perch, I think we've lost every bit of natural. I can see snow at the top of OG, but am pretty sure that it is overflow from Jester.

On the good side, the temp at the bottom has dropped 6° in the last 3 hours. At this rate, it is 4 hours to 32°, at the bottom... and the rate is supposed to accelerate. And the Sugarbush site says 27° at the top, right now.

Temps look ok for the days for the rest of the week, and great for the nights! Forecast is also for scattered snow showers starting... any time. 8)

ski_resort_observer
11-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Yup, the entire region should be able to make a bunch of snow in the next 6 days, with some help from mother nature, for resorts that want to be open this weekend....like the Bush.

Alot of folks were questioning the making of snow over at Mt Ellen when the scheduled opening is over a month away. Looks like BMM's dad scores again. :D

Got a call from my partner at the base a few minutes ago and he says it's crazy windy up there right now.

Lostone
11-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Just drove back up to the mountain, and there were guns going all the way down Jester. It is windy, but it was snowing like crazy. Snow has stopped, now. Probably an on and off thing. :?

Nobody bought my Bandit XXs at the ski and skate sale. :cry: But I got a new pair of Dynastar 4800 with bindings for $215... so it wasn't a total loss. :wink:

win
11-16-2008, 02:17 PM
We fired up the guns this morning on Jester at LP and Elbow at ME. It is really windy, but the temperatures are falling and the forecast for the next ten days looks excellent for snowmaking. We will be opening on Saturday. The only question is whether we can get top to bottom or will download on Bravo. If the forecast holds up, we should be able to make good snow into the base area midweel and that could make for top to bottom over the weekend at LP. Snd so it begins!

ski_resort_observer
11-16-2008, 02:39 PM
We fired up the guns this morning on Jester at LP and Elbow at ME. It is really windy, but the temperatures are falling and the forecast for the next ten days looks excellent for snowmaking. We will be opening on Saturday. The only question is whether we can get top to bottom or will download on Bravo. If the forecast holds up, we should be able to make good snow into the base area midweek and that could make for top to bottom over the weekend at LP. Snd so it begins!

Things are working out perfectly....to emphasis our great fortune I just got off the phone with one of my old friends at a resort out west and he is going biking this afternoon, no snow in the valley, snow only on the upper mountain with no snow forecast for the immediate future.

This week will be such an awesome turnaround from the past tree days. Praise to Ullr!

forecast for the 3000' ele of LP
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=BTV&llon=-73.289583&rlon=-72.594583&tlat=44.400417&blat=43.705417&smap=1&mp=1&map.x=125&map.y=95

summitchallenger
11-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Wow. That forecast is impressive!

shadyjay
11-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Wow. That forecast is impressive!

You can say that again!
Boy, I'd love for it to be t2b on opening weekend. Fingers crossed for a great opening weekend - just 5 days away now. This week, I'm gonna get things going by getting my gear together and putting it on in my apt. The 'Cruiser still has gas in it and my pass is all set to go.

What's not bad is that multiple resorts are opening the same weekend so there's lots to go around. What's good is that 5-day looks great and hopefully the momentum of this week can continue and be mixed in with some natural goodness. Just as long as there's no weekend warmup.

See y'all on Sat!

Lostone
11-16-2008, 08:46 PM
This week, I'm gonna get things going by getting my gear together and putting it on in my apt.

What??? :shock: You're not sitting there typing in your riding clothes, with you board next to you? :?

That's it!... You're outa here! :twisted:

:wink:

summitchallenger
11-17-2008, 09:47 AM
SB site is saying 6 inches from this latest snowfall and still snowing....looking good for opening weekend!!!!

boze
11-17-2008, 10:18 AM
SB site is saying 6 inches from this latest snowfall and still snowing....looking good for opening weekend!!!!

Snow report page is showing 0" for 11/17 - and main body of text is dated 11/13

:?

Lostone
11-17-2008, 11:14 AM
I can see grass most of the way to the top, but it is white covered grass again, now. The guns are still firing on Jester. We have intermittent snow showers.

summitchallenger
11-17-2008, 11:42 AM

That is weird...I was referring to the little icon at the top right of the page, which says 6" new snow.

summitchallenger
11-17-2008, 11:43 AM
I can see grass most of the way to the top, but it is white covered grass again, now. The guns are still firing on Jester. We have intermittent snow showers.

How far down are they making snow? Are they making it on Deathspout? Upper Organgrinder?

Dawn Patrol
11-17-2008, 11:55 AM

That is weird...I was referring to the little icon at the top right of the page, which says 6" new snow.

Mine says 0" :-(

summitchallenger
11-17-2008, 12:07 PM

Mine says 0" :-(

I'm referring to the heading on the main page...www.sugarbush.com which says "New Snow: 6" "

Lostone
11-17-2008, 12:13 PM
1) Can't see Deathspout, from here.

B) Nothing on OG.

III) I agree with the others that the New Snow on the front page says 0".

summitchallenger
11-17-2008, 12:15 PM
OK, weird...mine says, "24 hours: 6" " and "48 hours: 6" "

:-?

I'm not crazy...really I am not... :oops: :shock: :|

Lostone
11-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Try a reload on the page. Might be carrying data from the cache from last week?

summitchallenger
11-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Try a reload on the page. Might be carrying data from the cache from last week?

Did that...still get the same numbers...weird. I guess I have the "rosy colored" glasses version of the site. :wink:

Lostone
11-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Just for the record... Does your show lifts and trails open? Maybe you can print it out, and we can go for a few runs? :lol:

summitchallenger
11-17-2008, 02:10 PM
Just for the record... Does your show lifts and trails open? Maybe you can print it out, and we can go for a few runs? :lol:

Yeah right! Mine is reset now to 0" Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. :wink:

ski_resort_observer
11-17-2008, 02:56 PM
TB - I hope your not billing SkiMRV.com for your time on this important issue...:wink: :lol:

Lostone
11-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Just got in from a walk around and could see guns firing down Downspout, coming up to the drop, but couldn't see that area. Still, today is Monday. Lots of time until Saturday. And the temps are good. Ground is almost frozen at the very bottom.

scharny
11-17-2008, 05:04 PM
So...just curious...

Why were they blowing snow on both Elbow at Mtn Ellen AND on Jester/Downspout at Sug South on Sunday?

Is this an insurance policy to insure skiing on the 22nd so in case it's too warm to enable downloading at South, to then be able to move the whole shootin' match over to North and ski the summit cone like in past years?

Or was it just an effort to get a head start on building a base for later?

Or was it just an effort so show more white stuff and get people psyched?

win
11-17-2008, 05:30 PM
There is a lot of terrain to cover on both mountains, so we start making snow on both mountains as soon after Novermber 1st as possible so both are in as good shape as possible by mid-December. It takes this long to get both mountains in the shape that everyone wants. We did this last year and then Mother Nature kicked in and made for a fabulous December.

scharny
11-18-2008, 08:37 AM
There is a lot of terrain to cover on both mountains, so we start making snow on both mountains as soon after Novermber 1st as possible so both are in as good shape as possible by mid-December. It takes this long to get both mountains in the shape that everyone wants. We did this last year and then Mother Nature kicked in and made for a fabulous December.
Thanks for QUICK response, Win. Lookin' forward to Saturday!