PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Closed?

Dawn Patrol
11-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Say it ain't so?

Lostone
11-10-2008, 09:15 AM
It's so.

On the good side, there are plans to keep the Castlerock Pub open for evenings. And the Lincoln Peak base area is where the weekend Mad Bus will be waiting, when it is not on its route.

ski_it
11-10-2008, 09:33 AM
The Phoenix closed back in April. Anyone heard any word of somebody new moving in there?

Dawn Patrol
11-10-2008, 09:43 AM
I just cried a little bit inside...

Dawn Patrol
11-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Soo.. Where does the 21-35 crowd hang out?

Lostone
11-10-2008, 10:06 AM
[Moved to Valley forum]

The replacement for the Phoenix seems to be the Slidebrook, but maybe someone better informed on the subject might want to contribute? :wink:

No word on anyone wanting to buy the Phoenix. There were plans underfoot, that we were supposed to vote on, in our condo meeting, but they fell apart before we had our meeting.

Dawn Patrol
11-10-2008, 11:19 AM
I was pondering whether to put this in the MRV forum or the Sugarbush forum.. I figured it was on the hill so it should be in the Sugarbush forum like the Castle Rock Pub.. Or are we basing it on Sugarbush owned vs not?

Dawn Patrol
11-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Does anyone know what the asking price is on the Pheonix?

Tin Woodsman
11-10-2008, 11:31 AM
That's really too bad. If SB is going to hook the next generation of families, they've got to have something to offer 20 and 30 somethings before family time begins. The options are noticeably lacking in the MRV, and seemingly more so every year.

skibum1321
11-10-2008, 11:43 AM
The Castlerock Pub is supposed to be open for late nights this year. Other than that it seems like it will continue to be a sleepy late night scene.

EXskier
11-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Tin Woodsman, I agree with you 100%. It is a huge mistake to ignore the next generation of families. It seems very short sighted to me. I am having a hard enough time keeping the 30's and 40's single crowd in the valley due to lack of fun and entertainment at night. Slidebrook is a great place but too small and really not set up for bands. The Phoenix was the only place that brought in bands "vacationers" enjoyed.

ski_it
11-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Slidebrook Lodge is a good place and gets sweet live music acts throughout the season, but I can't see it filling the void of the Phoenix. Slidebrook is small and was already pretty packed most mid-winter Fri and Sat nights last year. I only made it to the Phoenix once or twice last winter, and there were a ton of people there when I went. I can definitely see Castlerock Pub picking up business that would have gone to the Phoenix if it does stay open late, especially if there are live music acts. I also think that would be a generally positive thing for the resort.

Lostone
11-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Dawn Patrol, I thought it was fine where it was for just the Phoenix and Castlerock Pub, but moved it down here, to possibly include other places.

Also, I heard around 380K for the asking price.

Also new for this year, The Den is supposed to be reopening as a sports bar. What will it be like? How late will it be open? Those questions might have to do with how many people will go, and how often. That pertains to the Castlerock Pub, too.

I remember many people, when expressing sadness at the death of the Blue Tooth, saying they went there one night of each of the 2 or 3 weekends they were up here. Hard to keep a place open with that kind of business. They pay mortgages 12 months per year.

Dawn Patrol
11-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Dawn Patrol, I thought it was fine where it was for just the Phoenix and Castlerock Pub, but moved it down here, to possibly include other places.

Also new for this year, The Den is supposed to be reopening as a sports bar. What will it be like? How late will it be open? Those questions might have to do with how many people will go, and how often. That pertains to the Castlerock Pub, too.

I remember many people, when expressing sadness at the death of the Blue Tooth, saying they went there one night of each of the 2 or 3 weekends they were up here. Hard to keep a place open with that kind of business. They pay mortgages 12 months per year.

I would agree, depending on how late the CRP is open and the type of bands they have (if they have any) it could fill the void. This place NEEDS very badly a place us young punks can hang out and blow our cash. $380k is a bit out of my price range right now.. Maybe if it's still for sale next fall...

tomthumb
11-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Rumor has it . . . that someone is looking at the Phoenix and Warren House to possibly open a Mexican joint. It wouldn't solve the nightlife problem, but I'd be down with some good Mexican food.

I think the lack of nightlife is an issue for Sugarbush . . . but owning the Blue Tooth was also an issue for Sugarbush. Serving booze on the hill to a customer, and then again at a resort owned establishment off the hill can create somewhat of a liability issue when that customer is over-served and causes an accident.

It would be great if someone re-opened the Phoenix, but it's a tough sell and a big risk for a year-round business, especially at $380K. That being said, I'm sure the Phoenix would be available for lease. That's what Omar did when he ran the place. To bad he met a girl in California and moved west at the end of his lease.

ski_resort_observer
11-10-2008, 10:04 PM
The sports bar opening up where the Den was is going to be an awesome addition to the MRV's lean bar offerings.

random_ski_guy
11-10-2008, 11:18 PM
They pay mortgages 12 months per year.

No No No, say it aint so, 12 months..on a consecutive basis! gee whiz, those banks are serious. :D

11-11-2008, 09:41 PM

I would agree, depending on how late the CRP is open and the type of bands they have (if they have any) it could fill the void. This place NEEDS very badly a place us young punks can hang out and blow our cash. $380k is a bit out of my price range right now.. Maybe if it's still for sale next fall...

DP - If you have time, speak to the people that own the theater, and ask them if they would host DECENT bands on Saturday nights from 10:00 PM- 2:00 AM.
Grace Potter had a great turnout last season, and it appeared they made $ that night, even though they lost power!
http://www.bigpicturetheater.info/

All we need is the MAD Bus to run that far up 100 until closing, and increase its loop to be on a half hour basis........

BushBumpGirl
11-12-2008, 08:36 AM
i'm a loooong time lurker to these boards... and a first time poster. woo-hoo. and, slighly lame on my part to choose to respond to a post about the bars as opposed to the white stuff. ho-hum, i gotta start somewhere!!

my ski crew has been talking about this for quite a while now. there are about 20+ of us that are early/mid-30's that either own or rent houses for the season and have been doing so for years. it's slightly depressing to see all of the once vibrant nightlife options slowly fade out... not to mention the lack of safe transportation to and from. the mad bus doesn;t even go to the hyde. i 100% get the whole family concept, and totally promote it, but there definitely needs to be more to entice the 20-30+ somethings... who don't have the family yet and DO have the moola to spend.

we are all psyched to have a sports bar come into town - it's beyond overdue... but the options for live music and dancing with already burning quads from tearing down the slopes are few and far between. hopefully this is something that the improved CR pub/big pic/tavern/new sports pub sees as an opportunity... :)

noski
11-12-2008, 08:37 AM
All we need is the MAD Bus to run that far up 100 until closing, and increase its loop to be on a half hour basis........

I have waved my wand and can report the MadBus will run on Saturday nights to 2am as far north as BigPic. The bus is ON DEMAND, meaning you call and they come, a la taxi style. Give them a 30 minute advance notice as they may be en route elsewhere. They will swing into BigPic (or any location) where it fits depending on what calls are in process.

noski
11-12-2008, 08:41 AM
the mad bus doesn;t even go to the hyde. The bus will serve the HydeAway on Saturday nights/New Year's Eve. The bus will also serve the Hydeaway during the day, passing by there at about :35 after the hour on its way to Mt Ellen. Full MadBus schedule will be posted on www.MadRiverValley.com within a week.

11-12-2008, 11:46 AM

I have waved my wand and can report the MadBus will run on Saturday nights to 2am as far north as BigPic. The bus is ON DEMAND, meaning you call and they come, a la taxi style. Give them a 30 minute advance notice as they may be en route elsewhere. They will swing into BigPic (or any location) where it fits depending on what calls are in process.

MAGICAL! Now... we need to meet and talk about a couple of other "wishes" I have :) ....Please bring the wand........

Tin Woodsman
11-12-2008, 11:55 AM
the mad bus doesn;t even go to the hyde. The bus will serve the HydeAway on Saturday nights/New Year's Eve. The bus will also serve the Hydeaway during the day, passing by there at about :35 after the hour on its way to Mt Ellen. Full MadBus schedule will be posted on www.MadRiverValley.com within a week.
Susan -

This is great news. Could you start a thread with the Mad Bus schedule and number to call so that I can sticky it in this forum for everyone's use going forward?

noski
11-12-2008, 11:58 AM
This is great news. Could you start a thread with the Mad Bus schedule and number to call so that I can sticky it in this forum for everyone's use going forward? You bet. The bus schedule PDF's should be on our site early next week. When they are up, I will start a thread and you can take it from there.

Lostone
11-12-2008, 01:31 PM
And the number is easy. It is 496-Ride. One of those that, once you get it, you keep it. :wink:

win
11-12-2008, 03:29 PM
We are going to keep the CR Pub open on weekends until midnight or 12:30am and will have bands apres ski and then different music later in the evening on Saturdays and some Holiday nights.

Tin Woodsman
11-12-2008, 05:48 PM
We are going to keep the CR Pub open on weekends until midnight or 12:30am and will have bands apres ski and then different music later in the evening on Saturdays and some Holiday nights.
Who's got dibs on smelling my ski socks for those days when I come off the hill, go right into the CR Pub (in the Tin Woodsman Annex, of course) and then stay right on through to 12:30?

freeheel_skier
11-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Who's got dibs on smelling my ski socks for those days when I come off the hill, go right into the CR Pub (in the Tin Woodsman Annex, of course) and then stay right on through to 12:30?

Ski Boots on after 6pm=Chick Magnet!!! :shock:

I will not smell stinky socks! I will drink a toast to your Annex :wink:

Treehugger
11-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Phoenix landlords aren't interested in leasing again. They had too much trouble collecting rent from Omar. Den should be a good party option, but doesn't look like live music is part of the plan. Smokehouse/Tavern has been staying open late with a new bar staff. A bunch of former Phoenix locals made it their hangout this summer. They're having fri & sat live music for the winter. It's good to hear CR Pub will keep later hours, although it sorely lacks good night club atmosphere. The Valley isn't gaining much ground as a party resort, that's for sure.

ski_resort_observer
11-13-2008, 10:07 AM
The Valley isn't gaining much ground as a party resort, that's for sure.

That's cool as I don't think the Bush or the valley wants that. Even many of us who live here when it comes to live music we are going to Montpelier, Stowe or Burlington. With Local Home, Purple Moon, the Big Theater, other community stages and the CRP there are a few choices during the ski season but as far as a Rusty Nail or a Wobbly Barn type place we don't have anything like that.

Add in the new sports bar, the Hyde-Away, Slidebrook and Big World I think you have some choices. Doesn't get much bar buzz but some folks like the small bars at the Common Man and at the Sugarbush Inn. It would be awesome if there was a place in Sugarbush Village but maybe the CRP fills that void.

Hawk
11-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Win, what about Friday nights at the CR pub?

Hawk
11-13-2008, 10:50 AM

That's cool as I don't think the Bush or the valley wants that. Even many of us who live here when it comes to live music we are going to Montpelier, Stowe or Burlington. With Local Home, Purple Moon, the Big Theater, other community stages and the CRP there are a few choices during the ski season but as far as a Rusty Nail or a Wobbly Barn type place we don't have anything like that.

Add in the new sports bar, the Hyde-Away, Slidebrook and Big World I think you have some choices. Doesn't get much bar buzz but some folks like the small bars at the Common Man and at the Sugarbush Inn. It would be awesome if there was a place in Sugarbush Village but maybe the CRP fills that void.

That's maybe cool to you SRO, but you live here and your priorities are different. I think what Bushbumpgirl said is more in line with what visiting skiers are saying. The simple fact is that there is not a steady place in the valley to see killer bands and dance up a storm. Thats what young folks want to do. (Well maybe some onld folks also :wink: )

This is another one of those things like early openings or increasing snow making capacity that quietly increase the skier visits in the long run. You can't point at it as the reason for the increase but it just happens.

11-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Bummer. The Phoenix was the only bar I've ever been to that when I ordered a Tangueray and tonic the bartender made it in a pint glass. :shock: :lol:

Plowboy
11-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Craigslist

http://burlington.craigslist.org/off/900850391.html

Date: 2008-10-31, 3:02PM EDT

FOR SALE $339,900 FOR CENTRALLY LOCATED RESTAURANT/CONDO SPACE JUST STEPS FROM SUGARBUSH SLOPES. COULD BE SUBDIVIED IN TO SEPARATE UNITS. ONLY HALF WILL BE A PART OF ASSOCIATION OF CENTER VILLAGE. ALL EQUIPMENT AND FIXTURES ARE PART OF THE SALE. BEING SOLD AS IS. PLEASE CALL LISTING OFFICE FOR MORE DETAILS AND ASSOCIATION DOCS.TOTAL SQ. FOOTAGE PER TOWN CALL 802-453-4670 www.wallacere.com or wallace@wallacere.com

ski_resort_observer
11-13-2008, 06:34 PM

That's maybe cool to you SRO, but you live here and your priorities are different. I think what Bushbumpgirl said is more in line with what visiting skiers are saying. The simple fact is that there is not a steady place in the valley to see killer bands and dance up a storm. Thats what young folks want to do. (Well maybe some onld folks also :wink: )

This is another one of those things like early openings or increasing snow making capacity that quietly increase the skier visits in the long run. You can't point at it as the reason for the increase but it just happens.

I think having a place with some killer bands would be awesome...we used to have several in the MRV. I was responding to the comment about the Bush being know as a "party resort". I think a couple of places with a decent capacity with some book kicking live music would do pretty well on the weekends. Not sure if that is enough business for one to come in.

Tin Woodsman
11-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Agree. The ski areas in the MRV will never be "party seasorts" ala K-Mart or Mt. Sneaux, as that's simply inconsistent with the character of the MRV and the type of people drawn here. But you've got to have something to keep the next generation of families interested, and that's been a weak spot for some time now. Good to see steps being taken like with the CR pub and the new Den - that's a positive affirmation of peoples' faith in the vibrancy of the MRV. Eventually, when the LP Village is built out more and physically connected with SB Village, that could change the game somewhat, as it would provide a bit of a center of gravity which is very much lacking right now.

win
11-14-2008, 04:17 PM
We are going to start with Saturday night and Holidays and see how that goes. If the demand is there, we can keep open later on Friday too!

Dawn Patrol
11-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Good news Win! Make sure they don't run out of Switchback!! :)

BushBumpGirl
11-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Good stuff here peeps... Giggle... Um, going for the gold on this one. Any chance we could get the pool tables and Big Buck Hunter from the Phoenix to the CR pub? :) I totally stink at BBH, but that was always a draw for folks heading to the Phoenix - stuff to do beyond beer curls at the bar. <Not that there's anything wrong with that!>