PDA

View Full Version : 3000' Forecast for Tuesday/Wednesday... BIG SNOW!

BushMogulMaster
10-28-2008, 12:07 AM
Well, for October, that is!

Check it out:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?w0=t&w1=td&w2=wc&w3=sfcwind&w4=sky&w5=pop&w6=rh&w7=thunder&w8=rain&w9=snow&w10=fzg&w11=sleet&AheadHour=5&Submit=Submit&FcstType=graphical&textField1=44.11852&textField2=-72.93578&site=btv&unit=0

Add up all the snow, and you've got totals of 7" or more at 3000'. Should be more on the summits!

Stoke. I'm flying home next Tuesday. Hopefully the peaks will still be snowcapped!

Treeskier
10-28-2008, 05:22 AM
Now I have found often if the they say 1-3" that can equal up to 6 on the hill. I also saw the total of 7" which could correspond to 14" up top. :)

Go Figure
10-28-2008, 05:28 AM
Just do not forget that in a display of SELFISH elitism no hiking will be allowed at the bush. Guards are at the ready, tazers charged.
Pictures of the inner circle skiing should not be posted till the mountain is open for all. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Hawk
10-28-2008, 06:43 AM
Nice post. Let's take the stoke and figure out a way to be negative about it. :roll: Jeeze.. go figure...

They won't catch me.......I'm a ghost...It is halloween after all. Well almost. :wink:

HowieT2
10-28-2008, 06:54 AM
pouring down here in the hudson valley. Looks like the 'Dacks are getting the best of this one (they can have October).

Pictures please. TIA

summitchallenger
10-28-2008, 07:17 AM
Just do not forget that in a display of SELFISH elitism no hiking will be allowed at the bush. Guards are at the ready, tazers charged.
Pictures of the inner circle skiing should not be posted till the mountain is open for all. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Whoa there. That is not the case. I think as has been said in here the past couple years that SB has voiced liability concerns as well as the fact that there usually is machinery on the hill when snowmaking begins. Not sure how this is selfish elitism...sounds like some common sense. Now skiing at LP is not necessarily allowed in pre-season...but if done discretely and with care, fine.

I don't think they care if you ski/hike at Ellen for turns. The fact is that they can't really stop you that easily and that they have better things to do. But again, don't be stupid about it.

Yard Sale
10-28-2008, 08:26 AM

Am I to assume that by elitist inner circle you are referring to two employees and a proffessional photographer directed to take promotional photgraphs for the mountain? And this bothers you? And you don't think the mountain should promote its product? And you definitely don't want to see stoke photos posted here? Just checking. Got it.

vonski
10-28-2008, 09:03 AM
So, much for the promotions for the mountain. If one has not noticed the Stoke exchange on the website did not update this last week with those pictures. I still got my weekly email with the pictures, but the stoke did not change. So, I guess the mountain had other ideas about promoting hike for your turns. But I still want to see some pictures of those who do the next few days. to keep me stoked for opening day. Hopefully they will turn the guns on sooner than 11/1 to preserve some of the fresh stuff that is going to fall and move the opening up a week. But wait, Maybe those of us who receive the email are the elitists???? So, if you got the email showing those pictures then print it and keep a copy of it on yourself, so if you do get stopped you can just show the workers that you had an invitation!!!!!!

skiladi
10-28-2008, 09:21 AM
From their blog: And locals Kevin St. Gelais and younger sister Sarah took advantage of the early season snowfall and bagged some early turns at Wildcat Mountain today, Friday, October 24th two days after this past Wednesday's accumulation. Thank you Kevin and Sarah for sharing the stoke and photos...you made my day and I couldn't share these quick enough. Seriously...battling an internet connection today prevented me from posting these sooner. Way to poach it*

(*Wildcat Mountain can not condone accessing its trails by snowsports enthusiasts because trails are not maintained or patrolled and can be hazardous when negotiating rocks, water bars, snowmaking equipment, etc. Wildcat Mountain is located 100% within U.S.F.S White Mountain National Forest, please respect it and Wildcat Mountain and its property [seriously, people are resorting to stealing sheaves?]...you know we had to disclose that)
http://www.skiwildcat.com/show_image.html?thumb=691

Pretty close to what Win said on Thursday. Any "Cat" skiing tomorrow?

HowieT2
10-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Anything???

Last Tracks
10-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Roger Hill's Forecast updated this evening for MRG, sweet spot on Thurs morning now?...

SNOW BEGINS TONIGHT & LINGERS THRU THURSDAY MORNING. The best shot of late October snow so far is headed our way, as rain changes to snow and lowers down the mountain side tonight. Low pressure expected to track northward up the Connecticut River producing a wide swath of rain, but, tonight the intensification process coupled with colder air swinging in on the back side of the storm system, should lower the snow level down to the valley floor before sunrise Wednesday. At that point, the best moisture fields will have moved north into Canada, but a strong west to northwesterly flow will set the stage for up-slope snows. As the cold moist air rams up against the Green Mountains, several inches of snow will fall overnight and continue into Wednesday. Mad River Glen - Up-sloping snows should deliver a solid 4" to 7" inches by early Thursday morning with the main gig happening late tonight tomorrow morning and secondary flare up Wednesday evening. A weak area of higher pressure should work into the region with partial afternoon sunshine later in the day Thursday. Roger Hill

daevious
10-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Snow is falling in Warren at 1450 feet. Just started, not sticking to the ground yet, but soon I'm sure.

Lostone
10-28-2008, 07:16 PM
It has just changed over ~ at the base.

groomer
10-28-2008, 08:09 PM
It's pumping pretty hard in north fayston. 33 degrees. not sticking yet though!

win
10-28-2008, 08:19 PM
It is white in East Warren!

summitchallenger
10-29-2008, 07:19 AM
How is it looking this morning?

noski
10-29-2008, 07:59 AM
How is it looking this morning? I can't speak for the mountain, but at 1700' Fayston, we have about 2" at most. It is the wet and heavy kind that did eventually stick to the (dirt) road. More is expected off and on today, but lighter/fluffier. Total today not expected to be more than 1-2".

Lostone
10-29-2008, 08:49 AM
Looks like about an inch on my deck. (Skiing still not too good on my deck. :wink: )

Needless to say, the mountain is covered. Thought I saw track of wide GS turns on Lower Snowball, but it was just the berms showing thru.

Hawk
10-29-2008, 02:35 PM
So where are the pictures?????

Lostone
10-29-2008, 03:15 PM
To tell the truth, it wasn't worth my time. :(

It is a couple inches with grass showing thru. There may be more at the top, "There's ALWAYS more at the top!" but A) I couldn't see the top of Bravo and 2) You really couldn't tell, from this distance.

So, imagine South, where you can see all it's trails in white. :wink:

Hawk
10-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Looks like Sunday River will spin lifts on Halloween. All my stuff is in my closet at the Bush. :roll: I guess I will have to rent. :shock:

http://www.sundayriver.com/community/index.php?showtopic=9903

Skiing is skiing after all!! :wink:

ski_resort_observer
10-29-2008, 04:52 PM
About an inch at the base, 5/6" at Allyns Lodge, 6/8" at summit. Pretty much what was forecast.

atkinson
10-29-2008, 09:29 PM
http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/medium/vol34_img162.JPG
6-8" at the top of the Birdland Double, MRG, just before sunset. A little moist, a litte wind affected.

Slalom Hill was already tracked up, so I figured Quacky was chewed even more, and why hike for just Fox/Vixen to rocky Broadway with limited light? Birdland was untouched and just the right pitch for floating freshies on grassy mellow trails. No waterbars either. Robin/Wren rocked.

John

p.s. From the ski tracks, it was obvious who was on narrow skis and who was on fats. The narrow ones zorroed in different directions, while the fats rounded nice arcs. Could be the driver, but the right tools work. Go junkboard!

BushMogulMaster
10-29-2008, 09:33 PM
http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/medium/vol34_img162.JPG
6-8" at the top of the Birdland Double, MRG, just before sunset. A little moist, a litte wind affected.

Slalom Hill was already tracked up, so I figured Quacky was chewed even more, and why hike for just Fox/Vixen to rocky Broadway with limited light? Birdland was untouched and just the right pitch for floating freshies on grassy mellow trails. No waterbars either. Robin/Wren rocked.

John

p.s. From the ski tracks, it was obvious who was on narrow skis and who was on fats. The narrow ones zorroed in different directions, while the fats rounded nice arcs. Could be the driver, but the right tools work. Go junkboard!

:D

Nice pic! I might have to bust out the rock boards for some pre-lift MRG turns.

ski_resort_observer
10-30-2008, 07:43 AM
Nice pic! I might have to bust out the rock boards for some pre-lift MRG turns.

You better hurry up! Forecast is for 50F Friday, slight cooldown for the weekend, then 50F most everyday next week. :wink:

smootharc
10-30-2008, 07:45 AM
...MRG, just before sunset. A little moist, a litte wind affected.

....Downhill Mountain biking season is over !?! I'm confused....

atkinson
10-30-2008, 08:12 AM
Funny you should ask Jay.

Lift-served DH'ing effectively ended on Oct 14th, but you already knew that. However the shuttle season on some of the Valley trails is still potentially open, when it dries out again.

Most importantly though, State lands close on November 1st for biking, so no more Cyclone, GS, B'Nut, Clinic or Enchanted Forest after the weekend.

The fun never really ends, it just switches gears. The creamy turns felt good!

John

p.s. How did Toggenburg fair from the storm?

smootharc
10-30-2008, 09:30 AM
John

p.s. How did Toggenburg fair from the storm?

....but Tug hill got nearly 2 feet, apparently. I'm thinking Tog got 5-6. We need a tectonic plate quantum shift....leaving Warren due east of Lake Ontario. Imagine CNY's Lake Effect met with that 4,000' ridge's Orographic lift. Valhalla ! Who knows, maybe the big big upheaval's coming. If it does, I hope it won't put cracks in our condo foundation..... :wink:

daevious
10-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Hallowe'en Eve
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3281/2987782328_fc6082581b_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dvs/2987782328/)