PDA

View Full Version : Invest in Yourself

win
10-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Yesterday my son, Win, emailed me with a thought. "Given all the turmoil and the angst of the markets, perhaps Sugarbush should suggest that now is the time to 'Invest in Yourself' and who better to help you manage that investment than Sugarbush. As I slept on that, I thought the kid came up with a really powerful thought. What do you all think of this?

After all, if you live in Boston that ROI is only three hours away and in NYC it is only 5 hours away ( at least how I drive!)

Invest in Yourself! It may be the best investment you've ever make!

shadyjay
10-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Sounds like a good slogan, for sure!

Slogans over the years:

* Be Better Here (present)
* Outside Everyday (SV)
* Pure Vermont (early SV)
* Live in the Outside (ASC systemwide)
* Peace Love and A Ton of Snow
* Where Great Skiers Ski (sometime 93-94)
* Sweeter Than Ever (c 1991)

others?

ski_resort_observer
10-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Sounds like a good slogan, for sure!

Slogans over the years:

* Be Better Here (present)
* Outside Everyday (SV)
* Pure Vermont (early SV)
* Live in the Outside (ASC systemwide)
* Peace Love and A Ton of Snow
* Where Great Skiers Ski (sometime 93-94)
* Sweeter Than Ever (c 1991)

others?

It's Sweeter Up Here

Lostone
10-24-2008, 08:57 AM
As I see it the term "invest" has both positive and negative connotations, at the moment. The buying of AIG, the forced sales of other houses, the drop in retirement funds and the $700B bailout have given many people mixed feelings about the investment community. These can be argued well, but not sure you want to spend your marketing time and money to be part of that argument.

On the other hand, I don't think Be Better Here has really been given enough time to set in. I feel it works on many levels. Invest In Yourself does, also, but with Be Better, I think they are all positive.

On still another hand, this being the 50th, it might be the time for a new slogan... but I really don't have that many hands, so...

:wink:

Fourwide
10-24-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm no marketing guy, but I agree with Lostone--"invest" has too many negative connotations right now--save it for the bull market to follow!

Yard Sale
10-24-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm no marketing guy, but I agree with Lostone--"invest" has too many negative connotations right now--save it for the bull market to follow!

+1 I like SRO's "It's Sweeter up here"

smootharc
10-24-2008, 12:43 PM
---"Be" is an action word...the act of "be"ing any number of things when you're at SB/MRV....a skier, a relaxer, a hiker, biker, eater, wedding goer, shopper....

---"Better" qualifies the "Be"ing part. Who doesn't want better ? You work toward it. Find challenge in it. Sugarbush Resort works toward providing it. A common goal for the customer....and the business entity that serves that customer.

---"Here" obviously where the pushpin on the map is stuck. And I like the Latitude/Longitude visual tie-in on some of the promo materials that define exactly the "here".

Rolling off the tongue....it sounds good. Sonically symmetrical, if you will.

In print...looks good. Visually symmetrical, if you will.

Catchy, spare, clear....with the ability to be applied to ANYTHING you might do in the valley. "Be Better Here", imho, is a great catchphrase for SB.

Bush Groomer
10-24-2008, 05:40 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Invest-Yourself-Secrets-Rich-Life/dp/0471248886

then again, it's better than investing in MER at $24. :lol:

Tin Woodsman
10-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Maybe if you're trying to sell off the remaining units in Clay Brook, "Invest in Yourself" works, but not for the great unwashed. I was always particular to "Pure Vermont", b/c I really think of the Valley in that manner, and for a large resort, SB is about as unspoiled as it gets.

happygirl
10-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Its a great slogan, it really goes with the times right now.

Dawn Patrol
10-27-2008, 09:42 AM
yea.. I'm not to keen on "invest in yourself" for a variety of reasons, most of which were touched upon here. Even the word 'yourself' is singular and isn't welcoming. Be better here is good. 'Peace, Love and a Ton of Snow' was by far the best slogan IMHO.

castlerock
10-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Lostone is right on. Those of us at the economic level, that expect to retire on our 401K, have a bitter taste in our mouths with "investments". We feel like we've been had. And I don't think SV wants to tie into that.

On the other hand the Be Better Here is under promoted/explained. It does tie in all the thoughts of investing in yourself, your family.

It really does feel right, especially as this election season is coming to a close. The whole country is about to take on a positive attitude not felt since 1960. It is time to be Better. Be better now.

notorious
10-27-2008, 07:43 PM
yea.. I'm not to keen on "invest in yourself" for a variety of reasons, most of which were touched upon here. Even the word 'yourself' is singular and isn't welcoming. Be better here is good. 'Peace, Love and a Ton of Snow' was by far the best slogan IMHO.

I agree that "Peace, love, and a ton of snow" is the best motto to date, but I offer "Sugarbush---Get Way Out There"

Fourwide
10-28-2008, 07:51 AM
"It really does feel right, especially as this election season is coming to a close. The whole country is about to take on a positive attitude not felt since 1960. It is time to be Better. Be better now."

Perhaps some parts of the country...

Sorry--political comment--I take it back!

Dawn Patrol
10-28-2008, 08:02 AM
It really does feel right, especially as this election season is coming to a close. The whole country is about to take on a positive attitude not felt since 1960. It is time to be Better. Be better now.

Did higher taxes really feel that good?? :roll: Lets keep the politics out of here.

Tin Woodsman
10-28-2008, 11:42 AM
OK folks, that's the last political comment in this thread. You want to talk Presidential politics and tax policy, do it in the Misc forum.

othripper
10-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Somtime in the late 80's I think it was, the marketing slogan was, 'Drive the extra mile'. I never liked this one because i felt it was saying, come see us, we're farther away..

I like the peace love and a ton of snow also.

Mike

Fourwide
10-28-2008, 12:20 PM
So, have you reserved your spot in the expanded CP? I'm looking forward to spending more time in the CP this season. It was generally very overcrowded last season, and we instead patronized Timbers apres-ski (not the best solution). I'm hoping they invest in a couple more widescreens.

HowieT2
10-28-2008, 12:56 PM
So, have you reserved your spot in the expanded CP? I'm looking forward to spending more time in the CP this season. It was generally very overcrowded last season, and we instead patronized Timbers apres-ski (not the best solution). I'm hoping they invest in a couple more widescreens.

Emphasis on wide. The tvs are a little on the small side when you want to watch the game.

labwab198
10-28-2008, 03:21 PM
I like it. Be better here is passive. Invest in yourself shows that you are doing something. I don't see where the word investing has negative connotations. There are many ways to invest and its up to you to pick the right ones. The Stock Market goes up and down-- just like the average snow base. A bad patch in the economy doesn't necessarily mean all gloom and doom forever just as one rain storm doesn't signal the end of winter . That being said--Let's all hope for a monster winter.
(I do think Peace, Love and a Ton of snow was the best)

Tin Woodsman
10-28-2008, 04:01 PM
No need to reserve a spot when the entire annex is mine. ALL MINE!!!!!

I agree on the need for larger TVs though.

win
10-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Tin,

You might like one of the booths - perhaps Rumble - or a place by the fire!

Invest in yourself and reserve a seat!

freeheel_skier
10-28-2008, 10:52 PM
Invest in yourself is fine. What better way to spend $$$? I do it all the time. Buy a new mtb, buy some new ski boots, buy new skis, ski pass, etc., etc. Invest in yourself.....also extends to the family too! :wink: For every $ spent on the kids, i spend $$ on the future!!!! :shock: :lol:

happygirl
10-29-2008, 12:13 AM
How about this for a slogan? 1. "Ski Sugarbush get Stoked!"
2. "Drive here if you can"
3. "Killington has conclusion, Sugarbush has paradise"

Treeskier
10-29-2008, 05:20 AM
Mad River Valley "Skiers Paradise"

HowieT2
10-29-2008, 06:21 AM
Tin,

You might like one of the booths - perhaps Rumble - or a place by the fire!

Invest in yourself and reserve a seat!

Fire? inside the CR pub? Tell, tell.

Fourwide
10-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Woodburning? I must say that the smallish gas fireplace in Timbers is a disappointment, especially stuck behind all that furniture. I understand why a gas fp makes sense, but it (they!) should be much larger and centrally located. A roaring fire (even if gas fueled) is critical to the apres-ski experience!

boze
10-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Woodburning? I must say that the smallish gas fireplace in Timbers is a disappointment, especially stuck behind all that furniture. I understand why a gas fp makes sense, but it (they!) should be much larger and centrally located. A roaring fire (even if gas fueled) is critical to the apres-ski experience!

Fully concur on the fireplace. Nothing can substitute for a crackling wood fire, in a sizable hearth.

Yet I do enjoy those comfy leather seats & couches in Timbers.

labwab198
10-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Win, It looks like you got scooped. In this morning's (OCt.30) Press Republican there is ann add for Empire State College which states "Invest in Youself for a great return". Picture shows a person in cap and gown with a pointer in front of a stock chart. And then is states "Only one investment always delivers-an education".

happygirl
10-30-2008, 12:34 PM
How about this one? "Ski Sugarbush get Psyched!"

shadyjay
10-30-2008, 08:35 PM

Okay, maybe I didn't get the memo... but....
what is up with the word "stoked"??? what does it mean?
On sugarbush.com, there's something called the "stoke exchange".
so what does it all mean?

Lostone
10-30-2008, 09:26 PM
You just gotta pay attention to those memos! :lol:

Main Entry:
stoke Listen to the pronunciation of stoke
Pronunciation:
\ˈstōk\
Function:
verb
Inflected Form(s):
stoked; stok·ing
Etymology:
Dutch stoken; akin to Middle Dutch stuken to push
Date:

transitive verb 1 : to poke or stir up (as a fire) : supply with fuel 2 : to feed abundantly 3 : to increase the activity, intensity, or amount of <limiting the number of cars available…will help stoke demand for the car — Keith Naughton> intransitive verb : to stir up or tend a fire (as in a furnace) : supply a furnace with fuel

happygirl
10-30-2008, 11:29 PM

Shadyjay:

Stoked means exhilarated or excited. Which I think describes skiing very well. :wink:

Dawn Patrol
10-31-2008, 07:34 AM

What happygirl said. Basically came surfing in that usage, and other sports have recently began 'stealing' it. You should watch the Endless Summer and Step Into Liquid.

atkinson
10-31-2008, 08:07 AM
Shadyjay,

The Stoke Exchange is my weekly email to an ever-increasing # of Sugarbush skiers and riders, plus a lot of industry folks get it too. The name, "Sugarbush Stoke Exchange Market Update" is a nod to Win's past on Wall St. and describes the goal of the email, mainly to fuel people's excitement about the mountain and the Valley.

If you'd like to receive the email, just drop me a line at jatkinson at sugarbush.com.

I am officially stoked for winter!

John

happygirl
10-31-2008, 08:57 AM
I 'm stoked about this winter too.

HowieT2
10-31-2008, 09:07 AM
Stoked? Me and the Boze are taking the boys into NYC on sunday to see the new Warren Miller flick. Then I will be officially stoked and raring to go.

happygirl
10-31-2008, 09:19 AM
Did anybody hear what the Farmers Alamanc said about this winter?

chuck
10-31-2008, 09:54 AM
howiet2 - where and what time is the new warren miller flick showing?

HowieT2
10-31-2008, 10:22 AM
howiet2 - where and what time is the new warren miller flick showing?

Sunday, 11/2 at 5 and 8 pm. I think the 5 pm show is sold out. the theater is on the upper west side but advance tickets are being sold at Paragon.

shadyjay
10-31-2008, 03:38 PM
Thanks guys (& gals) for the definition of "stoke". I kinda figured that's what it was, but wasn't sure since I've seen it used everywhere. In that case.... I'm getting STOKED about the season. I'm ready to go. The temps as of late and that white stuff I woke up to Thurs AM just fueled my stoke even more.