PDA

View Full Version : You know you want it ...

atkinson
10-22-2008, 02:55 PM
http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/vol33_img45.jpg
October 22, 2008, Sugarbush, me and Coach Meridith sliding our first turns of 2008-2009
Photo by Sandy Macys

Enjoy!

John

p.s. Still snowing!

Dawn Patrol
10-22-2008, 03:04 PM
AWESOME!!! Rocking the motherships, you need to when its that deep.. :-P

Seriously though, thanks for the stoke.

atkinson
10-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Wide skis are best in the funk. Powder is easy, it's the weird stuff that keeps me on the fats.

John

smootharc
10-22-2008, 04:05 PM
We wait all summer....and we get one measly pic ?

I want my money back. :lol: Or at least a few free cat ride vouchers.....

atkinson
10-22-2008, 05:12 PM
I didn't want to overload anyone in the middle of the work week with lots of skiing and riding images. I know what it does to some people's productivity.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/medium/vol33_img48.jpg
Here's something to tide you over until the Stoke Exchange comes out tomorrow. Model pose!

John

ski_resort_observer
10-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Sweet!

skiladi
10-22-2008, 05:58 PM
FAST GRASS! I like it. ; }

Strat
10-22-2008, 11:34 PM
Gahhh... I miss Vermont so much!

noski
10-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Gahhh... I miss Vermont so much! Where did you go?

skierdon
10-23-2008, 10:06 AM
I thought Sugarbush frowned on hiking for turns :wink:

Dawn Patrol
10-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Wide skis are best in the funk. Powder is easy, it's the weird stuff that keeps me on the fats.

John

I know, just messing with ya John. Once you go fat, you never go back.. At least as far as skis go :wink:

atkinson
10-23-2008, 11:29 AM
My go-to boards now are the Legend ProXXL's, at 109mm under foot. I can't tell you how many times people ask me where the powder is when I'm standing in the liftline and I have to explain that fat skis rule in every condition. Besides, I'm not going to share where the pow is while hanging in the liftline.

If you've never skied a wide ride, demo some this winter. Be prepared to quickly develop an affliction to your old skis though.

John

Dawn Patrol
10-23-2008, 11:35 AM
My go-to boards now are the Legend ProXXL's, at 109mm under foot. I can't tell you how many times people ask me where the powder is when I'm standing in the liftline and I have to explain that fat skis rule in every condition. Besides, I'm not going to share where the pow is while hanging in the liftline.

If you've never skied a wide ride, demo some this winter. Be prepared to quickly develop an affliction to your old skis though.

John

Definitely. My 'skinny' skis are K2 Seth's now 98mm under foot. My go to skis are the Coomba's. Every ski I buy is fatter than the last, and I have yet to ski a pair that is too fat... Even in tight bumps... Oh man.. now I'm jonesin....

BushMogulMaster
10-23-2008, 11:57 AM

John

Gee, John... it's just the opposite with me. I stand in line on a pow day on my bump skis, 66 underfoot, and everyone wonders what the hell I'm doing. But I like it... I actually like to ski IN the powder, not on top of it! My bump skis are the best all-mountain ski I've ever had. Kinda like the old days... skinny and straight. The way skis should be. [ducks for cover] :D

Seriously, though... I have yet to find terrain or snow conditions that I can't handle well on the bump skis. It's more about who's driving! I like to ski, rather than to have my skis ski for me. Whether that means too much sidecut or too fat, I'm uncomfortable. Skinny and straight, that's the ticket for a freak bump skier like me! :wink:

atkinson
10-23-2008, 12:02 PM
To each their own, but I ski in the powder too. I just don't hit bottom like skinny sticks do. The bottom is often where the snow snakes lurk, so I'm happier just above their heads.

John

p.s. Yes you are a bump skiing freak, but that's great!

BushMogulMaster
10-23-2008, 12:09 PM
To each their own, but I ski in the powder too. I just don't hit bottom like skinny sticks do. The bottom is often where the snow snakes lurk, so I'm happier just above their heads.

John

p.s. Yes you are a bump skiing freak, but that's great!

True, true. We should take a couple runs this year. You can help me up after the snowsnakes claim me!

Although I've gotta tell ya, I don't think I've ever had that problem before, and these are (no joke) the fattest skis I've ever owned. I've skied fatter, but I don't like it. Here again, it all comes down to the fact that I'm one of those danged bump skiers :lol:

Hawk
10-23-2008, 12:56 PM
You should try the K2 public enemy if you like the best of all worlds. 85mm under foot and very quick turning. They float when you need them, ski the bumps fall line with quick turns and are durable when the snow gets thin.

They aren't half bad at speed either. I used them in the Chez Henry Cup last year and came in 2nd in my bracket.. :wink:
:lol:

smootharc
10-23-2008, 01:18 PM

John

.....amen, brother. My mid-season purchase of "The Crow's" made this camper tres happy. Amazing what a soft tipped fatty (with not much sidecut) can do in the pow, bumps, tight trees and groomers of the MRV.....and AK's wide open pow/crud/windslab coated steeps. It's that ridonculous and deceptive versatility that has my other quiver selections looking jealously on as I keep reaching, again and again, for The Crows....

I drank the Kool-Aid.....

Strat
10-23-2008, 03:44 PM
Ithaca, NY (Cornell)... a spectacular place to be sure, but it's certainly a step below the Valley, and much of Vermont... but I'll be home in December, so at least I get to see a bit of winter... hopefully there will be some decent snow!

smootharc
10-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Ithaca, NY (Cornell)... a spectacular place to be sure....

Just imagine how all those Gorges ski after 10' of lake effect snow. Ooops....wrong lake. :wink:

My visits to Ithaca were relegated to athletic events (opposing team), and impressively turbo-barfing in the student union while visiting a friend during a summer creative writing term (You probably weren't even born then, ya pup). One minute I'm playing pool, the next minute I'm....well, use your imagination as the sea of humanity nearby parted....FAST !! Um, that night, we definitely got.....creative ! :shock:

Today's trivia question: What ski industry mogul went to college in Ithaca ? Who and which school ? It's an easy one....

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread....

Tin Woodsman
10-23-2008, 04:40 PM

Just imagine how all those Gorges ski after 10' of lake effect snow. Ooops....wrong lake. :wink:

http://www.rethinkip.com/corso.jpg
Not so fast, my friends. In fact, if the winds line up juuuuust right, it's not uncommon to get Finger Lake Effect snow. To wit:

http://wdtb.noaa.gov/courses/winterawoc/microclimates/examples/IC4_fingerlakes_les.pdf

smootharc
10-23-2008, 04:52 PM
...Tin. It's just that the topographical maps show no mountains anywhere near. Well, almost none. Some hills. Think Gate House Express vert.

And, okay, I've snuck south to Greek Peek once in a blue moon to follow a Lake Effect blast that hit South. A few nice nooks and crannies at Greek, but the laps do get....um....a mite boring.....

Tin Woodsman
10-23-2008, 04:55 PM
I know - I was just busting balls.

Go Figure
10-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Not hiking. This was the setup shot. Pickup ride to the top,find a spot, take some pics and ride down.
As to the question "you know you want it" What? A season ending injury playing on 2.7" of snow over grass and rocks.

Lostone
10-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Injuries are always a possibility. Especially in snow on formally uncovered ground. I would advise everyone to wait until all trails are properly groomed. :wink:

I'd have done it, but they forgot to ask me.

Or... Maybe they've seen me ski? :cry:

atkinson
10-23-2008, 05:15 PM
You know you want ... winter stoke. Delivered.

John

random_ski_guy
10-23-2008, 05:31 PM

My visits to Ithaca were relegated to athletic events (opposing team), and impressively turbo-barfing in the student union while visiting a friend during a summer creative writing term (You probably weren't even born then, ya pup). One minute I'm playing pool, the next minute I'm....well, use your imagination as the sea of humanity nearby parted....FAST !! Um, that night, we definitely got.....creative ! :shock:

Today's trivia question: What ski industry mogul went to college in Ithaca ? Who and which school ? It's an easy one....

Easy indeed; none other then Les Otten attended Ithaca.

What is he up to these days?..... A leveraged buyout of Intrawest!?!

Last Tracks
10-23-2008, 06:16 PM

Well, you do have to pay for the lift. I guess you would carry your skis?

John, thanks for making my stokes go up today.

win
10-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Yes, we absolutely do not condone anyone skiing or riding our trails when they are not open. There is too much liability attached were we to do so. This was a sanctioned picture that I allowed. John and Meredith and photographer, Sandy, went through a special two week preparation program knowing that the dusting of snow was coming. (that is an exageration, but we had trained and competent professionals doing this shoot) We absolutely do post guards in the parking lot at times, and we must prevent those we see from marching through that highly visible area to ski or ride on the mountains before the mountain is open officially. That is also part of our USFS agreement.

In less than two weeks we will be making snow and not long after that we will have groomers and other machinery on the slopes, and these present other hazards. You do not want to be on a trail when it is being winched. If a cable snaps, it is a WOMD! This is when we get really tough for your own well being!

Unfortunately, I have heard from some that people manage to evade our guards. If they do, they should know that skiing or riding before we open officially presents many hazards that could be life threatening and have been in the past. Water bars can be treacherous with thin cover and when not marked appropriately. tree limbs, rocks and other hazards may not be visible. Patrol is not in place, and if one is injured, it could be hours before proper medical attention is received.

We all get stoked to get on the Mountain with first snow. Be careful! It is a long season!

ski_resort_observer
10-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Les Otten is back in Maine starting a pellet stove company. From the articles I have read, he seems to be doing pretty well.

Hawk
10-24-2008, 06:15 AM
Yes, we absolutely do not condone anyone skiing or riding our trails when they are not open. There is too much liability attached were we to do so. This was a sanctioned picture that I allowed. John and Meredith and photographer, Sandy, went through a special two week preparation program knowing that the dusting of snow was coming. (that is an exageration, but we had trained and competent professionals doing this shoot) We absolutely do post guards in the parking lot at times, and we must prevent those we see from marching through that highly visible area to ski or ride on the mountains before the mountain is open officially. That is also part of our USFS agreement.

In less than two weeks we will be making snow and not long after that we will have groomers and other machinery on the slopes, and these present other hazards. You do not want to be on a trail when it is being winched. If a cable snaps, it is a WOMD! This is when we get really tough for your own well being!

Unfortunately, I have heard from some that people manage to evade our guards. If they do, they should know that skiing or riding before we open officially presents many hazards that could be life threatening and have been in the past. Water bars can be treacherous with thin cover and when not marked appropriately. tree limbs, rocks and other hazards may not be visible. Patrol is not in place, and if one is injured, it could be hours before proper medical attention is received.

We all get stoked to get on the Mountain with first snow. Be careful! It is a long season!

Well you asked for it and you got it! I thought we covered this already! :roll: Some people just don't get it........

bullwheel12
10-24-2008, 06:16 AM
Win thanks for your response but if we can't hike and make some preseason turns then you shouldn't be allowing employees the opportunity. It used to be something to look forward to each year...hiking around late october...such a thrill....then last year getting yelled at on the way up... that sucked. And to allow tempting pics on this site.... that's just weak. I don't get it.

Hawk
10-24-2008, 06:17 AM
Win thanks for your response but if we can't hike and make some preseason turns then you shouldn't be allowing employees the opportunity. It used to be something to look forward to each year...hiking around late october...such a thrill....then last year getting yelled at on the way up... that sucked. And to allow tempting pics on this site.... that's just weak. I don't get it.

Like I said.......

gone.skiing
10-24-2008, 07:33 AM

I thought you would be in slidebrook earning your turns. Cleared, wide open trails are for the weak.

smootharc
10-24-2008, 08:19 AM

I thought you would be in slidebrook earning your turns. Cleared, wide open trails are for the weak.

....I think a Bullwheel vs. Barkbiter pay-per-view "Sugar-Smackdown '08" might be in order. Could probably generate enough revenue for the resort to buy a shiny new Bell copter and start the first Heliski operation in VT. Great idea, I know. I'm an idea guy.... :D

In the meantime I'm going to reduce my caffein and Sugar Pops consumption by 43%....

skierdon
10-24-2008, 12:01 PM
bullwheel- I think your are taking the hiking comments too seriously. I was just making a joke about it earlier, didn't mean to bring up the debate again.

ahm
10-27-2008, 08:28 AM
All: skiing is a dangerous sport with real risks. Those dangers can increase based on conditions or the degree of slope difficulty/stability and they can also decrease. When you ski, you accept all the risks and joys that the sport brings, but it is clearly the choice of the skier, whether that be at a ski area or in the backcountry . Some choose to ski early terrain at ski areas. This has some hazards, like exposed rocks/obstacles, water bars, possibly some snow making hoses and some general wetness than can cause skis to stick etc. Others choose to ski early backcountry terrain which can have similar hazards on the east coast, and an increase in avalanche danger in areas that slide due to poor bonding of a limited snow pack to the bare ground. In terms of early season skiing, ski areas pose lower overall "real" danger and hence they are often the "area" of choice for early season skiers who cannot wait until the area is open. When discussing the danger of early season skiing we should be clear that in reality skiing the ski area is typically of lower danger than pushing into the backcountry and hence the reason that early season skiers "hike the hill" for those first first turns. Enjoy those early season turns whether you choose to wait for the lift or let your "feet do the walking" at the ski area or beyond.

HowieT2
10-27-2008, 03:02 PM

Easy indeed; none other then Les Otten attended Ithaca.

What is he up to these days?..... A leveraged buyout of Intrawest!?!

Many fond memories of skiing Greak Peak especially since it was a required course. and the Gorges are insanely cool in the winter.
I love Ithaca, but it doesn't get as much snow as the surrounding area, I believe because of the depth and temperature of Cayuga lake. My four winters there ('85-'89) were disappointing in the snow dept.

Funny coincidence-My father-in-laws only visit to Cornell ended in barfing after his lacrosse team was given milk to drink during the game. I've heard that story about a million times.

smootharc
10-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Funny coincidence-My father-in-laws only visit to Cornell ended in barfing after his lacrosse team was given milk to drink during the game. I've heard that story about a million times.

Probably milk from Cornell cows milked by Cornell lax players. The whole Cornell team, ALL of 'em (gross overstatement), got in the Cornell door through the Agriculture School. And I'm assuming they all learned how to milk cows. Perhaps there was something more in the milk than...milk !?! :shock:

HowieT2
10-27-2008, 07:28 PM

Probably milk from Cornell cows milked by Cornell lax players. The whole Cornell team, ALL of 'em (gross overstatement), got in the Cornell door through the Agriculture School. And I'm assuming they all learned how to milk cows. Perhaps there was something more in the milk than...milk !?! :shock:

You got it.

skituner8
11-17-2008, 10:51 AM
sounds like bullwheel needs some cheese to go with thw whining!

ski_resort_observer
11-17-2008, 03:02 PM

coming from Cayuga's waters
there's an awful smell
some say its Cayuga's waters
some say it's Cornell

I think someone from Harvard sang me that one or was it Ithaca College..hmmm :lol: